daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #661
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
There is a perfectly fine tolling system for distances people drive, it's called fuel taxes. Who drives more, pays more taxes. Works perfectly fine. Other tollings on top of that are more or less a way to rip off motorists even more.
The problem with that in a small country like Slovenia is that trucks might fill up in Zagreb and use the Slovenian motorways to get to Italy without having to refuel, therefore the Slovenian government gets no revenue to pay for the motorway construction.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #662
Rijeka

Likes (Received): 0

I go to Slovenia/Croatia once a year, and I would certainly avoind paying the toll if I go from Šentilj to Zagreb or from Trieste to Istria. I would pay just for the whole A1 or A2 in Slovenia...
I agree with Chris, fuel tax in Slovenia is not an option. Vignette is a good system, but not the proposed one, there SHOULD BE a weekly or a 10-days vignette.
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #663
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
The problem with that in a small country like Slovenia is that trucks might fill up in Zagreb and use the Slovenian motorways to get to Italy without having to refuel, therefore the Slovenian government gets no revenue to pay for the motorway construction.
Well, they can set this up on an international scale. Well, to my opinion, most governments make enough revenue out of motorists already. In the Netherlands, their revenue is 10 times higher than they spend on roadways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #664
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijeka View Post
I go to Slovenia/Croatia once a year, and I would certainly avoind paying the toll if I go from Šentilj to Zagreb or from Trieste to Istria. I would pay just for the whole A1 or A2 in Slovenia...
I agree with Chris, fuel tax in Slovenia is not an option. Vignette is a good system, but not the proposed one, there SHOULD BE a weekly or a 10-days vignette.
IMO there should be a daily option. I am already upset at the Austrians for instituting a minimum 10 day vignette: why do I need to pay for 10 days if I only have to go through it to reach Germany !
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #665
Rijeka

Off topic question for Urbane from Trieste (or others if they happen to know): When will the connection between Škofije/Rabuiese and the rest of the Italian motorway network (Grande viabilita' di Trieste) will finished? I couldn't find it on the Italian forum.
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #666
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

It shall have been completed by the 25th April, so in less than a month. Another link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
Of course getting to Koper is the 1st issue, however, the newspaper made it seem that they were going to extend the H5 to Isola/Izola, thus I suppose widening the road there and making it part of the vignette system
If that's the case it would become a concern to those traveling not only to Isola/Izola, but also to Pirano/Piran, or Portorose/Portoroz.
No, they are building a whole new road, including a 2-km tunnel under Markovec hill. They were thinking about just widening the current coastal road in the past, but I guess it would then be impossible not to drive on expressway, except by making a long detour over Dragonja/Dragogna and Sečovlje/Sicciole or somewhere there.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #667
Rijeka

Thanx Verso, I didn't know it. So the "upper" part between Padriciano and Cattinara is also open? Great. It will now be much easier coming from Istria. Unless Slovenia introduces the absurd toll system it's planning to do
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #668
Verso
Islander

No, the Padriciano-Cattinara section (Carso (Karst) tunnel) isn't open yet, they are wrong by saying you'll already be able to drive uninterruptedly on motorway to Venice or Udine or whatever. It will only open in a year or so.
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #669
Rijeka

OK, thanx. I see you're the best informed on this forum!
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #670
Verso
Islander

I just get it from others.
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #671
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
No, they are building a whole new road, including a 2-km tunnel under Markovec hill. They were thinking about just widening the current coastal road in the past, but I guess it would then be impossible not to drive on expressway, except by making a long detour over Dragonja/Dragogna and Sečovlje/Sicciole or somewhere there.
Actually there's some road over Markovec hill...
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #672
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

(double post)
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #673
keber

Quote:
It shall have been completed by the 25th April, so in less than a month. Another link.
Hopefully, because motorway interchange at Lacotisce is not finished yet and no work is being done there for at least half a year. However works at the tunnel seems to be in progress (as seen from current bypass). Works higher above at Cattinara seem to be far from finished.

I'm betting on end of June opening.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #674
urbane

I am skeptical too. Anyways, I am going to Capodistria/Koper tomorrow so will pass there and take a look.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #675
urbane

Quote:
Oh ok, that's much better. I thought they were going to widen the 111.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM   #676
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
I am skeptical too. Anyways, I am going to Capodistria/Koper tomorrow so will pass there and take a look.
My skepticism about the opening date of April 25th was corroborated yesterday. The part between Rabuiese and svincolo delle Noghere is nice and open, but the rest until Lacotisce still has some way to go. .

Looking towards Rabuiese:

The new tunnel of Aquilinia:

Meanwhile cars have to use the old tunnel of Aquilinia, one lane each way, with quite a bit of traffic on this sunny weekend (and it's not even April !):

Old March 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM   #677
keber

Nice update. Looking at those pictures, I am pretty doubtful even about beginning of summer opening, because it looks quite clearly, that motorway is far from finished.

In other news: it is recommended, that penalty for a driver, not having valid vignette sticker on his/her car, will be between 500 and 1200 €. That's about 4 times more than in neighboring Austria.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM   #678
Rijeka

Thanx, urbane, nice update. I agree, keber, far from finished.

Concerning the stickers, it seems that the national roads around Koper and Maribor/Ptuj will be very congested after 1st July.
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM   #679
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Nice update. Looking at those pictures, I am pretty doubtful even about beginning of summer opening, because it looks quite clearly, that motorway is far from finished.
The newspaper of Trieste wrote that the new opening date for the entire Grande Viabilità Triestina should be October 30th.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:32 AM   #680
Verso
Islander

^ Isn't that too early for the Carso tunnel (Padriciano-Cattinara)?

Tags
highways, motorways