daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #721
Rijeka

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Having to pay for six months when you only want to cross the country for two hours sucks. Tourists might start to use the local roads rather then the highways.
I agree. I go to Croatia once a year and I don't intend to pay 35 € for 10 km of motorway between Šentilj and Ptuj. I expect our Slovenian friends to explain us how to avoid a toll around Maribor (going from Graz to Zagreb)
It doesn't seem easy, but still, I won't be on a hurry for holidays, so I'll use 35 € for something else. I prefer to stop in a nice "gostilna" and eat some Slovenian speciality instead of paying this "tourist & transit ripp-off tax".
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #722
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I am wondering how the EU is gonna react to this. I doubt if it is allowed not to have transit vignettes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #723
Rijeka

I hope so. In any case, it's the only country in the EU whith no daily or weekly vignettes. I've checked on the Internet. I sent a request to "Direct Europe" to check if this is conform to European legislation, but I didn't get their answer yet. I hope the other motorway clubs (Italian, Austrian, German and Croatian in the first place) will try to make some pressure.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #724
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
"With this (measure) we hope to attract the largest possible number of citizens to use highways rather than local roads," Transport Minister Radovan Zerjav told a news conference.
slovenian humor seems to be a lousy thing.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I assume he meant local citizens only, which avoided the motorways because of the tolls. The vignette is quite an improvement for Slovenians.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #726
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

that might be correct, but anyway, Slovenia currently has open system of tolling at most motorways (only Ljubljana - Koper has closed system). so you can easily take exit before toll gates and enter at next one to avoid toll if it hurts that much. additional plus are very dense exits at motorways, you you take max 10 km on 2way road if avoiding the toll gates.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #727
Rijeka

That's true, Chris. He said "citizens", which means "locals". For them it will be a huge improvement indeed. But for people just passing-by or even coming for a short visit it's quite a lot. It's obvious why they do it (transit and tourists will pay off the roads for local people), but to my mind it's clearly a sort of extortion. Especially because it's difficult in some parts to avoid motorways and express roads (around Maribor, Ljubljana and Koper).
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #728
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
that might be correct, but anyway, Slovenia currently has open system of tolling at most motorways (only Ljubljana - Koper has closed system). so you can easily take exit before toll gates and enter at next one to avoid toll if it hurts that much. additional plus are very dense exits at motorways, you you take max 10 km on 2way road if avoiding the toll gates.
that's funny...

and are there any map of gates?
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #729
Rijeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Ok, sticker system is ok, but that's not the problem. The problem is that there are no short-time stickers. That's all.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #730
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I have asked the Dutch motorists association if this is in order with EU regulations, and if they and European sister clubs can get the EU to demand an additional transit vignette for Slovenia.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #731
Rijeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I have asked the Dutch motorists association if this is in order with EU regulations, and if they and European sister clubs can get the EU to demand an additional transit vignette for Slovenia.
Great Chris. Let us know what they say!
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #732
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
They should use a system like TxTag. www.txtag.org, www.texastollways.com

Nope, that's like only allowing the transponder holders from your own country to use your own roads. Gotta go with E-ZPass!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #733
Kese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Having to pay for six months when you only want to cross the country for two hours sucks. Tourists might start to use the local roads rather then the highways.
I could not agree more. It is outrageous, roadside banditism. Verso, why don't you do something about it?
Kese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #734
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The Belgian government wanted to do this as well in Belgium. Every tourist will have to buy a 60 euro vignette to cross Belgium. Ridiculous. Luckily it has been postponed for some time (2009, I thought)
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #735
Rijeka

Well, apparently, the EU can't force the government to introduce motorway sticker for a shorter period. So I think the only option is pressure from other motorway clubs to introduce cheaper vignettes for those who just cross the country.
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #736
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kese View Post
I could not agree more. It is outrageous, roadside banditism. Verso, why don't you do something about it?
Why should we do something about it? For my wallet (as a Slovenian) it's pretty conformable.
For transit traffic, I agree, it's not good, but on the other hand, we don't get much uses from it, mostly only clogged roads and dirty reststops.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #737
Rijeka

Keber, should we consider your response serious or with a bit of irony? Anyway, introducing a short time vignette should mean you can buy a half-year or a year vignette. So it's very obvious why the Slovenian government is doing this. I suppose you'll get more traffic on local roads in some areas, and I don't think this is the objective of this plan. As in any country, the motorway toll shouldn't be prohibitive, otherwise people start using other roads. Well, we just have to wait untill July and see.
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #738
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

A bit of irony and a bit of truth.

Also introducing short-term vignette would make to collapse current proposal of financial structure. That would mean, that yearly vignette would be much more expensive, so it would be worse than current toll system for most Slovenians -> would be bad for elections in autumn.

Ofcourse there is some other way: we could introduce short term vignettes, but with interesting pricing - let's say 17,5 € for 6-day vignette.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #739
Kese

I see the point. I just wanted to roll down to Slovenia on Hung. M7 - M70 in the summer, as I have been doing every year for a while, this time to check out how the construction of the adjacent Slovenian freeway is going on- btw, do you have some update? Anyways, I always thought that the Villach Graz autobahn should be connected to our M7, preferably at the southern tip of Lake Balaton. Then this current "little problem" could be eliminated, too, since after that direction has been taken care of the only remaining possible problem part is about 10 km-s between Italy and Croatia. That is drivable even on dirt road: . Meanwhile you are welcome to come to Hungary in the opposite direction and, especially after M0 east is open (this summer), you can drive unhindered close to the Ukrain, northen Transylvania for a fraction of that price.
Kese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #740
Rijeka

Between Italy (Kozina) and Croatia (Rupa) is about 30km, but that's not much indeed. Kese, do you plan to completely finish the M7 between Nagykanizsa and Balaton this summer?

Tags
highways, motorways