daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1181
Der Goerzer

Likes (Received): 0

Hello folks.
I am new to the forum, this is my first post.
I am generally interested in architecture (mostly infrastructures and urban development), but what forced me to subscribe is the urge to ask:

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MOUNT NANOS?

Hehe. I mean, everytime I go from NovaGorica to Ljubljana I see this almost-completed motorway, but still, it looks the same from YEARS. I wonder if anyone knows which is the deadline for completion.

I am quite annoyed I have to buy the vinjeta and then go driving on mount Nanos little road. But I know I will do, because I need it, and this motorway looks never-to-be-finished :P

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1182
Rijeka

Hi Der Goerzer. On the Slovenian motorway company site (www.dars.si) they say in the course of fall 2008, but I think I've seen in the newspapares it will probably happen in 2009. I suppose someone from Slovenia will have more accurate information.
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1183
Der Goerzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijeka View Post
Hi Der Goerzer. On the Slovenian motorway company site (www.dars.si) they say in the course of fall 2008, but I think I've seen in the newspapares it will probably happen in 2009. I suppose someone from Slovenia will have more accurate information.
thanks Rijeka

the "official" deadline for the motorway has been postponed for years, so I wonder what is going on... technical problems? lack of funds? flying cows?

in winter, with possible snow or heavy rain, driving on the "main" road between LJ and NG along with trucks, is not funny thing
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM   #1184
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Welcome to SSC, Der Görzer! Opening of the expressway has (inofficially) indeed been postponed for the next year. Tunnels aren't yet equipped.

Btw, are there any plans of improving the Gorizia-Villesse road? I can't exactly say I like it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1185
Der Goerzer

hi Verso!

the ridiculous road between Gorizia and Villesse (A4 motorway link for those who don't know) will be transformed in a normal motorway. works should start in 2009 and end by 2014.

when Gorizia will be linked to A4 Torino-Trieste and NovaGorica to LJ, I guess the biggest part of traffic will move onto this link. it's going to be the shortest way from Venezia (Milano, ecc) to Ljubljana (+ eastern Europe). Trieste way will probably experience a dramatic decrease in traffic.

but that's just when Evil Mount Nanos will be defeated and IF Gorizia-Villesse link will be transformed.

as of now, it's dangerous, slow and ridiculous.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM   #1186
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Goerzer View Post
the ridiculous road between Gorizia and Villesse (A4 motorway link for those who don't know) will be transformed in a normal motorway. works should start in 2009 and end by 2014.
Seriously? Do you know any official link for that (even if just in Italian)? The road is indeed funny, I must say.

(btw, Nanos is already defeated, just human stupidity is left to be defeated now)
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1187
Der Goerzer

I tried to find a source, but couldn't. I don't have much time now. Although, I'm pretty sure of the years announced. But you know, they don't mean much in Italy. They stop all the time for any stupid reason.

In the next months they will complete the A28 motorway, connecting Pordenone area both to A4 (between Venezia and Trieste) and on the other side to A27. I tell you this because they started talking and working about it 30 years ago

By 2017 they should finish building the 3rd lane on the A4 between Venezia and Trieste, right now the most dangerous of italian motorways (due to huge increase in commercial traffic after integration of Eastern Europe countries).

And don't worry, also italians hate the Gorizia-Villesse link. It used to have 2 lanes and no crashbarrier, with a 100 km/h limit. Since a few years they placed a crashbarrier (don't know the name, it's the stone one, not metallish) and lowered the speed limit to 90 km/h, SOMETIMES 80!

It's embarassing.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM   #1188
Verso
Islander

Btw, are you an Italian, Slovenian, Friulian, German or sth else (just European maybe)? Not that it matters, just like that, you have an interesting sig.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #1189
Rijeka

It's embarassing.[/QUOTE]

Indeed I took it only once, just for the sightseeing, because being myself from Rijeka/Fiume, I always take the A4 via TS. But I'm glad they're improving the motorway network in Friuli and Veneto
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1190
Der Goerzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Btw, are you an Italian, Slovenian, Friulian, German or sth else (just European maybe)? Not that it matters, just like that, you have an interesting sig.
I speak italian, and I'm an italian citizen. Although, I do not feel very italian at all. I belong to the so-called mitteleuropa rather than the mediterranean area.

So yeah, basically I'm European
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #1191
Verso
Islander

hehe
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #1192
DinoBond007
BANNED

About traffic jams in Ljubljana: most of the highways are old and in those times there where only few cars on those roads and there was no need for third lane but in last 10 years traffic has increased and those roads have became to small to handle such amounts of traffic, but in order to built 3rd lane they have to destroy old overpasses, underpasses and bridges and built new ones so that would almost like building a new highway!
But highway from Domžale to Ljubljana is only 5 years old and when they were building it they where thinking only for traffic amoznt in that day, they weren't thinking that tommorow (in next years) the traffic amounts on that road will almost double and if they would say, that this relatively new road is allready to small, that wouldn't be good for few important people in goverment and so they don't want to admit that they were wrong!!!
DinoBond007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1193
Verso
Islander

^ Lj. has been clogged for the last 30, not 10 years. And the Lj.-Domžale highway is a little older than 5 years.

PS: welcome to SSC, but please don't use so many exclamation marks.
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1194
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

When I look at Google Maps and zoom in on the Slovenian/Croatian/Hungarian border area, I seem to miss the M70/A5 (is it A5?) border crossing between Slovenia and Hungary. You know, the new one without any border buildings. And when I look at map24 and ask it to calculate the route between Balatonfured and Ljubljana it sends me over Zagreb. With the A5 finished, the route over Maribor must be quicker. Am I right?
btw: Google Maps can't calculate any routes through Slovenia, weird. When I ask for a route from Balatonfured to Triest it sends me over Szombathely, Graz, Villach and Udine. Very weird. The same counts for Croatia.

Last edited by Timon91; September 6th, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1195
Timon91
Error

Have a look. This is map24's route:
[IMG]http://i33.************/sgpnk5.jpg[/IMG]

And this is the route that Google Maps calculated:
[IMG]http://i35.************/108gzs4.jpg[/IMG]

Google route: 612 km, 6h52
Map24 route: 479 km, 6h01
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1196
DinoBond007
BANNED

Yes, it is much quicker if you go over Slovenia!!! I don't know what's wrong with google... And I don't know why has map24 send you over Croatia because with or without new A5 motoway is way over Slovenia shorter and quicker!!!
DinoBond007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1197
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post

Map24 route: 479 km, 6h01
be carefull, this rout has calculated ferry over lake Balaton (Tihany - Zamárdi) and i think it is not neccessary (unless the price is low, and i don't know about it)

edit: now i see that ferry isn't expensive at all. actually, it is very cheap. so maybe it is better to use it. and it sails each 40 or 60 minutes.

Last edited by x-type; September 6th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1198
Verso
Islander

Timon, you can't expect maps to be updated so quickly. But Map24 regards the before-existing part of the A5 by Murska Sobota as expressway.
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #1199
Timon91
Error

I don't think that is a reason for Google to leave Slovenia and Croatia as non-existing land
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1200
Verso
Islander

No, I meant the road network as such, not directions (especially not by Map24).

Tags
highways, motorways