daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #201
samoen313
mound city

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
Uhm.. I have to say I hate this. The whole tower complex is so weird. All the pillars are different and unsymmetric under the horizontal box. Then there's the top. The two highest towers look nice, but what's up with the third one? It looks like someone has designed many different boxes and then put them into a messy pile with no thinking what so ever.

That's a monster and the designer must've been high when he draw that.
Beware to all armchair critics. You can call it weird or asymmetric all you wish (and really, why is asymmetric bad? We're a century removed from beaux-arts ideals of symmetry and "harmony.") But never, never accuse architects of not thinking about their design until it is clear you have done research into the building. Just look up material on REX and Museum Plaza. The whole process is a bit out there but the intent for each component is very well justified. In fact, this building is far more developed and thought out than about 99% of architecture going up in the states. The team had to come up with numerous innovations to seamlessly combine a museum, a hotel, offices, residences, and educational facilities and make them all interact with one another without intruding. The museum is laid out in a flexible manner to accommodate a range of exhibits, the boxes atop the museum can be adjusted +/- ten floors during the construction process based on market demands, the architects forced steel manufacturers to lower their prices on window paneling by inventing a new system from reinforced concrete, etc. There is a lot that went into this building.

I'm not saying you have to love it simply because it was designed in a more avante, less formulaic manner. Hate it, by all means for its slightly ungainly proportions and isolation in the skyline. But save your accusations of thoughtless, idiotic architects for the Arabs designing Dubai. The entire team at REX have degrees from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, MIT, the Arch. Association, etc. They certainly all think about their designs.
samoen313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #202
juniorzzi
on my way to the OR trail

Likes (Received): 2460

nice..
but not that cool...
juniorzzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #203
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Burn! And that's not even from a Louisville resident!

What a great post Samoen, you couldn't have said it any better.

Last edited by mudvayneimn; February 15th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #204
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

O M G! How can somebody not like it?? So weird. It's so beautiful! That video, it's just breathtaking, and those new pictures!! Wow, realy impressive! Sure gonna follow this construction!

BTW, what is 703ft in meters??
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #205
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

^214.2 meters.

From a few weeks ago.

02-15-08.

Last edited by mudvayneimn; February 15th, 2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #206
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoen313 View Post
Beware to all armchair critics. You can call it weird or asymmetric all you wish (and really, why is asymmetric bad? We're a century removed from beaux-arts ideals of symmetry and "harmony.") But never, never accuse architects of not thinking about their design until it is clear you have done research into the building. Just look up material on REX and Museum Plaza. The whole process is a bit out there but the intent for each component is very well justified. In fact, this building is far more developed and thought out than about 99% of architecture going up in the states. The team had to come up with numerous innovations to seamlessly combine a museum, a hotel, offices, residences, and educational facilities and make them all interact with one another without intruding. The museum is laid out in a flexible manner to accommodate a range of exhibits, the boxes atop the museum can be adjusted +/- ten floors during the construction process based on market demands, the architects forced steel manufacturers to lower their prices on window paneling by inventing a new system from reinforced concrete, etc. There is a lot that went into this building.

I'm not saying you have to love it simply because it was designed in a more avante, less formulaic manner. Hate it, by all means for its slightly ungainly proportions and isolation in the skyline. But save your accusations of thoughtless, idiotic architects for the Arabs designing Dubai. The entire team at REX have degrees from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, MIT, the Arch. Association, etc. They certainly all think about their designs.
I just looked at the project web site and it did not amaze me to learn that the architects are all ex OMA.
(Office for Metropolitan Architecture). This is a typical OMA style building.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #207
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

So? This is one of the most dynamic projects happening in the USA. I say... BRAVO Louisville! You've got balls and you're showing them!!!!!
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #208
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
Am I the only one who seems to find these two pictures similar?:

Louisville

Detroit

Alright, I couldnt find a clearer pics, but still, you get the idea. I just find a lot of similarities that could be drawn between the two. Just saying...
yeah, gibson.....VERY similiar!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #209
DrzBrooklynChulo90
Javier

Likes (Received): 8

Am I the only person that thinks that this thing is ugly and clearly a Demolition Project?I Guess I'm being too pesamisitic.

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
WWW.MySpace.com/RDLatino430RD
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...03&ref=profile
DrzBrooklynChulo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #210
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3661

It's honestly remarkable, just with a little odd looking.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #211
n4t3d424

Likes (Received): 13

everybody that says "am I the only person (insert a negative remark here)..."
Let me guess, NO YOU AREN'T THE ONLY PERSON! Seriously, it takes an aspiring art student, or Louisville resident or just any somewhat liberal person to understand this building, by looking past what it looks like.
It is going to transform my city, not just by the way that it looks. We have a new icon, a new Churchill Downs, if you will. It may not be as pretty, to some people (although it is to me).
I am tired of all of the negative talk from people who don't look past what it looks like. I respect your opinion, but if your going to be like that, atleast look into it.
I was just 13 or 14 when the project first came out, now I am 16, and it has made me want to become an architect.
n4t3d424 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #212
DrzBrooklynChulo90
Javier

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4t3d424 View Post
everybody that says "am I the only person (insert a negative remark here)..."
Let me guess, NO YOU AREN'T THE ONLY PERSON! Seriously, it takes an aspiring art student, or Louisville resident or just any somewhat liberal person to understand this building, by looking past what it looks like.
It is going to transform my city, not just by the way that it looks. We have a new icon, a new Churchill Downs, if you will. It may not be as pretty, to some people (although it is to me).
I am tired of all of the negative talk from people who don't look past what it looks like. I respect your opinion, but if your going to be like that, atleast look into it.
I was just 13 or 14 when the project first came out, now I am 16, and it has made me want to become an architect.
Sorry but im 17 soon to be 18 in 2 and a half months and I think this thing will jus be an eyesore.We all have different opinions but I think this thing looks a little too weird.I Mean, if you like it, than thats your opinion but this site is actually made for people's opinions.If You like it, than good for you.

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
WWW.MySpace.com/RDLatino430RD
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...03&ref=profile
DrzBrooklynChulo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #213
Cardpooch

Likes (Received): 1

I'm not surprised by the love/hate reactions this tower has caused. IMO that only proves it's a successful design...

First and foremost, this is a contemporary art museum. That was the purpose of this project from the start. In many cases, modern art is not meant to be attractive in the traditional sense. Instead, it is intended to cause a response from the viewer and encourage discussion. I'd have to say that this building has definitely done that. Architecture is more than just a shell. It should serve as an extention of the functions that occur within that shell. Isn't that what all GREAT architecture is supposed to do?
Cardpooch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #214
chefjeff28

Likes (Received): 45

Here's a link to a camera feed for construction on Museum Plaza and the Arena.

http://www.gotolouisville.com/network-cameras.aspx
chefjeff28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #215
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

what is that arena?
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #216
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Thanks for that link! Now it's easier to see instead of going down there every wednesday!

The New Downtown Arena that will house primarily the UofL basketball team. It's also scheduled for completion in 2010. The buildings in the block the Arena will occupy are scheduled to be demolished starting in spring.

Last edited by mudvayneimn; February 29th, 2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #217
chefjeff28

I hope you still give us some photo updates from time to time Mud.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #218
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
The New Downtown Arena that will house the UofL basketball team. It's also scheduled for completion in 2010. The buildings in the block the Arena will occupy are scheduled to be demolished starting in spring.
I'm glad somebody else but me doesn't buy into the Mayor's sugar coated concept that the Arena is going to be used over 100 nights the year! The arena is going to cost Louisville taxpayers an awful lot of money. Of course if we weren't spending $100,000,000 extra on a $275,000,000 arena just to relocate what was where it's being built it might break even. The location selected may look nice but was economically the wrong location!

Last edited by Msradell; February 25th, 2008 at 02:10 PM.
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #219
DaVilleisGr8

Likes (Received): 5

^ I respectfully disagree.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM   #220
chefjeff28

Museum Plaza price range

Museum Plaza Sales & Design Center - NOW OPEN DAILY
Museum Plaza News [[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:50 AM
To:
[email protected]

LIVE AT MUSEUM PLAZA.
convenience.
breathtaking views.
uncompromising quality.
iconic architecture.
fascinating urban neighborhood.
LIVE WITH ART.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION. OCCUPANCY 2011.
LUXURY CONDOMINIUM RESIDENCES FROM $259,000 TO $2 MILLION PLUS

RESIDENTIAL SALES & DESIGN CENTER
NOW OPEN DAILY.
Monday – Friday 10am – 6pm / Weekends 1 – 5pm
707 W Main Street / Downtown Louisville

MUSEUM PLAZA 707 W Main Street / Louisville, Kentucky 40202 / T: 502 638 4922 / F: 502 638 4926 / www.museumplaza.net