daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2007, 07:33 AM   #121
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

OMG that is so kick-a$$ awesome. The center part looks like a BORG CUBE!!! This has to be the most amazing building I have ever seen!!! and it is U/C!!!!!!
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #122
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Since this MP thread hasn't been touched in a while....

I thought I'd update it with some of the most recent construction updates. I forgot that there are two seperate MP threads....Anywho, onto some photos I took.

Around the end of November

^left side of site.

^right side of site.

December 12th

^left side of site. The rest are of the right side (where the most action is happening.)

Just thought I'd update for some that were unaware of the other thread.
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:56 AM   #123
MDguy

Thank you for the updates!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM   #124
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

No problem! I thought about taking pics today, but I decided to give it another week. I will probably have another quick update for everyone next wednesday or thursday...weather/life permitting.
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM   #125
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Museum Plaza bonds OK'd

Museum Plaza bonds OK'd
Council ratifies $47 million issue

By Marcus Green
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal

Louisville will issue $47 million in bonds to help pay for public improvements at the Museum Plaza skyscraper -- the final government approval needed for the downtown project to advance.

The Louisville Metro Council voted 21-5 last night in favor of the bond issue, which caught members off guard when they learned of the proposal last month.

"The fact that this was approved now allows us to go forward and obtain a construction loan, and we had to have this done for that to happen," Steve Poe, one of four investors in Museum Plaza, said after the vote.

Besides the bonds and the developers' own money, a construction loan would be used to pay for the $490 million complex at Seventh Street and River Road. Poe said developers hope to obtain a loan within the next month.

The council turned back an amendment by Councilman Hal Heiner that would have given the city a 10 percent share of any profit if Museum Plaza is sold, reflecting the extent of the city's investment from the general fund.

Heiner described his plan as fair to Louisville taxpayers and said it would send a message that the council should be actively involved with developments seeking general fund money for public infrastructure.

"This amendment is a step toward protecting the public," said Heiner, R-19th District.

Councilman Kelly Downard, R-16th, argued that the city was setting a precedent that other developers could follow, and he said that the profit-sharing amendment wouldn't affect the project's cost.

But the measure was defeated 17-9. Opponents, like Councilman Tom Owen, compared the amendment to "rolling the dice" and said it could kill the project. He said the developers already had made compromises during negotiations with the city.

"This project could be at risk if we push, push, push this last measure," said Owen, D-8th.

In a telephone interview after the vote, Poe said Heiner's amendment would have put the project at risk.

Poe said the skyscraper will be "cross-collateralized" with the construction lender. In the event that the developers sell the hotel, for example, the lender would take most of the proceeds to pay down debt on the rest of the project.

"If we said that we had to pledge those proceeds to the city, I doubt that any construction lender would make that loan," he said.

Earlier this month, the council approved the issuance of $130 million in bonds for the project. That money, along with the $47 million bond, will be used to pay for sidewalks, new streets, a public plaza, floodwalls and other infrastructure related to the project. It will be repaid through a portion of future taxes generated at Museum Plaza.

If the tax revenues aren't enough to pay debt on the $47 million issuance, the city would be responsible for the payments. The city is not guaranteeing the $130 million in bonds.

Plans call for a 62-story skyscraper that includes lofts, condos, a contemporary art center, office and retail space, and a Westin hotel. Officials broke ground this fall, and plans call for Museum Plaza to open by 2011.

Reporter Marcus Green can be reached at (502) 582-4675.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NESS/712210467
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM   #126
Phobos

I thought this project would only be a vision.
The building has a very good concept,but I don't know what to say about the shape.It's an oil rig for me
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM   #127
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Most people thought it would be just a vision.....I also thought of an oil rig when I saw it on the front page of our Newspaper, but that only enhanced my love for the concept and design. MP is so much more than a bunch of blocks stacked together, I love it! It will be one of the most unique towers here in the USA!

I really hope they leave the island (both inside and the outside portion on top) open for Thunder over Louisville! That would be an absolutely amazing vantage point.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM   #128
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Somehow some organization needs take place, there are two threads for Museum Plaza this one which is one level down from the main page and this one Louisville Museum Plaza which is which is six levels down from the main page.

It seems like this thread has better visibility for people outside of the area to find it so maybe it's better to concentrate online resources for the project in this one?

Maybe the administrators need to make the decision since I'm sure contributors can't agree on it. It doesn't matter to me which one remains but I'm sure that it will make it easier for people to follow the construction if it's all in one thread.

Last edited by Msradell; December 22nd, 2007 at 06:13 PM.
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #129
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

I think the other one started first, I'm not too sure though. I like it this way right now. The other thread consists mostly of people in the region, or people who know a little more about Louisville and that makes it easier to talk about some of the things going on. This thread is good because, as you stated, this one is seen by more people, and it's neat to get their input. The way I see it, the other thread isn't populated by as many opinions and we're able to focus a little more on what's currently going on. Now once construction really starts taking place, I could see them either merging the other thread into this one or something similar, then it'd be easier to post updates and keep everyone....updated lol without having to look through both threads for updates. I think it'd be fine to keep the two threads for the time being, but it's all up to the mods in the end scheme of things.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #130
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Early Update!

I decided to go to the site today to bring you all a christmas update. A bunch has happened since the last time I was down there, most noticable being new equipment, and materials on the left side of the site. They are also beginning to remove portions of 7th street. The right side of the site is still the action spot as you can see in the photos.

^Backside of the standing facades on Main.

^What you see when you walk past 7th street. The left side of the site.

^New equipment and materials are starting to fill up the site.

^Ripping up 7th street.

^Main spot of activity.

Merry Christmas!
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #131
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

Likes (Received): 1847

I feel proud to live in Rotterdam - this must be one of the best architects in the world and their head office is here! Louisville, congratulations with such a groundbreaking tower.
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #132
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Very interesting project. It will look good.
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #133
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

This is one of the most unique and spectacular projects currently underway in the USA. Bravo Louisvillle!!!
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #134
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Nothing against Louisville, but this just seems like it doens't belong there, I would have thought louisville would have been more laid back about it.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #135
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

I'm not totally sure I understand what you're saying. Louisville is laid back, but the city also has a very rich arts culture, and this building expresses it. I think my signature says it all lol.
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #136
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Well, Louisville doesn't seem like the city to contruct something like this, it looks like it could go in NYC, Seattle, Miami, Toronto, maybe even L.A. Theres my point, and Louisville doens't match any of those cities.
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #137
TU 'cane
Registered User.

To me it just seems like it doesn't belong in Kentucky. Sorry.
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #138
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

I personally think that Louisville is perfect location for this masterpiece. Imagine driving south on I65 and seeing this beauty rise on the banks of the Ohio river. Bravo to L-ville for having the balls to build such a beautiful bulding. It shows the world that the US is culturally deeper than NYC, Chicago and LA.
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #139
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
I personally think that Louisville is perfect location for this masterpiece. Imagine driving south on I65 and seeing this beauty rise on the banks of the Ohio river. Bravo to L-ville for having the balls to build such a beautiful bulding. It shows the world that the US is culturally deeper than NYC, Chicago and LA.
yeah it's all great but i'm just saying my viewpoint on it, don't want to make anyone angry. I just think it's daring for louisville to do this.
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #140
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Louisville is pretty much nothing like to rest of Kentucky, the city as a whole seems a little out of place to me lol. Your comment doesn't make me angry personally, I see your viewpoint (I get it a lot working the phones). I don't blame you, I find it funny that everyone has this certain "perception" about Louisville...too bad many are still stuck in the "it's in Kentucky" mindset. I mean look how many people still think the largest firework show in America is on July 4th in NYC?