daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
MJinOshkosh

Likes (Received): 48

MILWAUKEE | University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Development News

Since I don't think it is right to hog the UW Madison development thread with UW Milwaukee stuff I thought I would start this thread.

First off, I don't understand why the board of regents would have a problem with UWM having a football program? I thought the Wisconsin state motto was "Forward" I guess the board of regents must take that motto to mean "Backward"! Wouldn't more publicity for the States two largest public universities be a good thing? Someone please inform me on why the board of regents according to UWM has such a problem with UWM.

Secondly, Milwaukee does have another university in Marquette (Private) that plays basketball in a more elite conference than UWM (Big East). It is like I said in the Madison thread move into a more prestigious league then you might get the respect that you are all craving for.
MJinOshkosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #2
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinOshkosh View Post
Since I don't think it is right to hog the UW Madison development thread with UW Milwaukee stuff I thought I would start this thread.

First off, I don't understand why the board of regents would have a problem with UWM having a football program? I thought the Wisconsin state motto was "Forward" I guess the board of regents must take that motto to mean "Backward"! Wouldn't more publicity for the States two largest public universities be a good thing? Someone please inform me on why the board of regents according to UWM has such a problem with UWM.

Secondly, Milwaukee does have another university in Marquette (Private) that plays basketball in a more elite conference than UWM (Big East). It is like I said in the Madison thread move into a more prestigious league then you might get the respect that you are all craving for.
I honestly don't feel that its the Board of Regents stopping the football program from becoming a reality. Some of my UWM friends are on UWM's wannabe football team, which is right now just a group of guys that come together and play against each other. When I asked about such a sport being at UWM, they replied telling me UWM doesn't have many sports in the NCAA to begin with - that if UWM got football, they'd need to add more women's sports also - something that I don't know if women are interested in for that university.

And Marquette always seemed to have the nation's eye, large or small, on a constant basis since Al McGuire's years. True, Marquette being accepted into the Big East was a big milestone, but whether or not that lead to more attention from the country is unknown.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #3
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I think you'd be surprised at how much of a role the Board of Regents actually does play, especially from a financial standpoint.

To the best of my knowledge, UWM currently has more NCAA women's sports than men's sports.

Men's
-Baseball
-Basketball
-Cross Country
-Soccer
-Swimming/Diving
-Track/Field

Women's
-Basketball
-Cross Country
-Soccer
-Swimming/Diving
-Tennis
-Track/Field
-Volleyball

Nevertheless, in order for UWM to have a football team, they'd require a place to play and money. They have neither. In order to get a place to play, they'd have to construct a stadium (or use an existing field, which is unlikely). In order to construct a stadium they'd need funds and approval from the Board of Regents. Since they're throwing so much of their money towards Madison, there aren't any funds to fill that hole. Lastly, as I said in the UWMad thread, there are many powerful, decision making people on the Board and that influence the Board, many of which are UW alums & supporters. The mention of another div1 football team in the state has the potential to detract from their status (how, i wonder) and the you can trust me when I say that UWM would never receive necessary funding from the BoR for that very reason. I guess we can keep our fingers crossed for more private donors.
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #4
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

My understanding of what is currently under construction, is planned, or being planned for UWM -
-Remodeling Union
-Remodeling Golda Miera Library
-Green Roof on the central Sandburg Roof
-Finishing River View Residence Hall

Also there is some talk about UWM acquiring the adjacent hospital in the next few years for more development.
honest86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #5
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-res View Post
I think you'd be surprised at how much of a role the Board of Regents actually does play, especially from a financial standpoint.

To the best of my knowledge, UWM currently has more NCAA women's sports than men's sports.
That's pretty typical. However, it usually occurs because there has to be a balance of male and female athletic scholarships and balancing the large number of male scholarships for football requires a couple of female sports. It seems that baseball is being balanced by tennis and volleyball at UWM. To get football they'd probably add softball and another sport or two to balance.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
That's pretty typical. However, it usually occurs because there has to be a balance of male and female athletic scholarships and balancing the large number of male scholarships for football requires a couple of female sports. It seems that baseball is being balanced by tennis and volleyball at UWM. To get football they'd probably add softball and another sport or two to balance.
I believe that balancing act is required by law because of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #7
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

UWM had a football team until the early 70s when Title IX came into effect. At that time there was a choice to increase funding for all the women's athletics or cut a major portion of the men's program. The field they used to play at supposidly is where the child care building (Kunkle) and a parking lot now sits.

The club football team has existed for several years and plays against other club teams throught the midwest, they have a yearly matchup against Marquette's club team for the 'golden keg'
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #8
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-res View Post
-
Lastly, as I said in the UWMad thread, there are many powerful, decision making people on the Board and that influence the Board, many of which are UW alums & supporters. The mention of another div1 football team in the state has the potential to detract from their status (how, i wonder) and the you can trust me when I say that UWM would never receive necessary funding from the BoR for that very reason. I guess we can keep our fingers crossed for more private donors.
This is absolutely 100% true, there have been discussions for years about having UW-Milw raise to the level of recognition of UW-Mad. One major idea that has been kicked around for obvious reasons is enhancing the sports image. These proposals never get off the table because of funding mainly but also a bias on several members of the board against fostoring new development at other UW schools that would compete against UW Madison.

The reality is that there are members of the regents who are very open and willing to say that UW means UW-Madison 1st. When it comes to sports they prefer to be simply called University of Wisconsin. To be called UW-Madison does not work. When it comes to sports these individuals do not want the talent pool to be shared, they do not want the media revenues to be shared and they especially do not want the name of Wisconsin to be shared.

This is in no way the fault of UW Madison students most of whome (at least who I have spoken with on the subject) would probably welcome an in-state competitor like Mich-Mich State have. It comes from the top and an old way of thinking in that you have 1 school that is a step above the rest, this image is slowly changing but it will take a long time and lots of turnover.

I also am not saying the regents spend a significant amount more money overall on Madison as a percentage than Milwaukee/other UW schools because the numbers show that the tax dollars are shared. A good example is that most of the masive new renovations coming up for Madison ARE coming from private donors. But the reality is that until very recently ther has been little financial support given to Milwaukee and other universities from the 'slush fund'.

It is also worth mention that there are also people of influence within UWMilw that do not want a football team either.
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #9
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeBS View Post
TThe reality is that there are members of the regents who are very open and willing to say that UW means UW-Madison 1st. When it comes to sports they prefer to be simply called University of Wisconsin. To be called UW-Madison does not work. When it comes to sports these individuals do not want the talent pool to be shared, they do not want the media revenues to be shared and they especially do not want the name of Wisconsin to be shared.
Actually, in sports there is no University of Wisconsin-Madison. There is no UNC-Chapel Hill, no UIUC, no UT Austin, no UC Berkeley: just Wisconsin, North Carolina, Illinois, Texas, Cal. The flagships' city names are never part of the official university names in an athletic context. Even their websites will refer to themselves as the University of Wisconsin or the University of Illinois. That’s standard procedure and in no way Wisconsin specific.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #10
MJinOshkosh

If UWM wants a bigger spotlight on its sports program but can't get a Football program started why not look at a Ice Hockey Program? A Ice Hockey program would be title IX friendley for both men and women programs would have an equal amount of participants.

I know I have heard from some that Ice Hockey isn't real popular but the WIAA does have 90 high schools that play hockey in the state of Wisconsin. I realize a hockey program won't give UWM the kind of exposure a Football program would But if UWM were to start a program and play its hockey in the WCHA it would play UW and build upon it's rivalry with UW. I also realize that Ice Hockey isn't the perfect solution for some of you but if you really want more noterity for the sports programs that you already have then I think it is fair to explore all avenues that may help in this cause even if it is a hockey program.
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #11
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

How can we promote, for example, UWM (with UW-Madison) and UIC (with UIUC)?

How about a Chicago/Milwaukee "Metro Tourney" in basketball during the holiday season? It would alternate yearly between the UC and Bradley Center. You invite Illinois, Wisconsin, UWM, and UIC, of course, and fill the rest of the ranks with schools like Northwestern, Loyola, DePaul, Marquette. That adds up to eight; if that number could be expanded without hurting the "powers of two", I'd also add NIU.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #12
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

By Tom Daykin

Budget adds funds for UWM, Medical College
A new Medical College of Wisconsin research facility, a planned public health program at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and a new UWM engineering campus would all receive state funds under additional budget proposals announced today by Gov. Jim Doyle.

The medical college's Translational and Biomedical Research Center, which opened earlier this year in Wauwatosa, would receive $10 million from the state's capital budget. That would join $2.5 million in operating funds previously proposed by Doyle.

The $10 million would pay for a new imaging scanner at the center, a $140 million, 298,000-square-foot facility. The scanner would be used to help with research in such areas as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis and epilepsy, according to a statement from the governor's office.

The center, also operated by Children's Hospital, is expected to eventually house about 80 physicians and researchers who will conduct translational research studies. Those studies can be "translated" into products and services that help patients.

Also, Doyle is proposing $300,000 in capital funds and $200,000 in operating funds for the future UWM School of Public Health.

UWM Chancellor Carlos Santiago said in January that he wanted to establish a new downtown campus for a public health school, and programs in nursing, psychology and other health disciplines. The likely site would be at Aurora Sinai Medical Center, based just west of I-43, at 945 N. 12th St.

That new public health campus could include a facility at the former Pabst brewery complex, a few blocks east of Aurora Sinai. Doyle also announced an $800,000 grant for Pabst owner Joseph Zilber to help fund environmental cleanup work at that property. Zilber and other developers plan to transform the former brewery into offices, housing and other new uses.

Finally, Doyle is proposing $3 million in capital funds to help finance a new UWM engineering campus near the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center and the Milwaukee County Research Park in Wauwatosa. Santiago has called for a new campus in that area to house an expanded College of Engineering and Applied Science, which now operates from a cramped facility at 3200 N. Cramer St.

The public health and engineering campuses would mark the first major expansion of UWM since the late 1970s.

Santiago says the expansion would help the regional economy of southeastern Wisconsin. He and other officials have said the region needs a stronger research infrastructure that will spur new businesses.

Universities in the Milwaukee area generate $160 million in external research. The University of Illinois at Chicago, by contrast, contributes $300 million in research expenditures alone to Chicago.
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #13
MJinOshkosh

If there still is talk of changing UWM to something different? I think changing the name to State University Milwaukee or S.U.M. would be a great name for that university.
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #14
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 304

From the Sunday Journal Sentinel:
Quote:
UWM research plan in fast lane
Chancellor wants to break ground for new campus by end of '08, but funding questions persist
By JOHN SCHMID
[email protected]
Posted: April 7, 2007
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has set a breakneck timetable to begin construction of a $143 million engineering campus and research park just west of the city before the end of 2008, even as major questions remain about how to pay for it.

UWM Chancellor Carlos Santiago, warning that the metro region cannot afford to lag behind the pace of economic change, last week laid out an economic development vision that exceeds in scope and speed anything that UWM previously has outlined in public.

UWM's expansion, envisioned on a hilly swath of unused Milwaukee County land in Wauwatosa, is meant to create a critical mass of research-driven institutions that "attracts companies to the region and produces companies directly from the university," according to a UWM document that Santiago has been sending to potential donors.

The proposed 55-acre UWM Innovation Park would be immediately north of an existing complex of research institutions, notably the Medical College of Wisconsin, which has nearly 1,000 scientists and physicians and $126 million in annual research funding.

UWM aims to align its technology labs with the needs of private industry, draw new investment and talent, and build what supporters call an economic engine for a metro region caught in a 30-year economic decline.

"New companies are not coming into the state," Santiago told the Journal Sentinel. "That's a competitive edge that the region has lost."

India and China began investing heavily in their research universities more than a decade ago and managed to shift global competition onto a new plane that's defined by research, technology and engineering talent. Meanwhile, the commodity manufacturing that once powered southeastern Wisconsin has been moving to China and other lower-cost locations.

For the cost of one engineer in the United States, a company can hire 11 in India, according to the National Academies, a U.S. government advisory body. And the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a Paris-based multinational think tank, last year announced that China spends more on research and development as a share of its economy than Japan and became the world's second-highest investor in R&D after the United States.

Santiago points to a continued loss of jobs throughout southeastern Wisconsin. But he notes that Milwaukee still has an opportunity to retain its cluster of "advanced manufacturing" companies, which require a steady stream of technology workers, software engineers and research and development investment. UWM in January announced that Rockwell Automation Inc. will help UWM build a technology research program to support the region's advanced manufacturing sector.

If the region loses the advanced manufacturing sector, Santiago said, "then we lose the competitive advantage in manufacturing."

The medical complex already ranks as an important economic engine, said Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker. "This would only add jet fuel to that engine," Walker said.

"This is a strategy that gets us closer to the vision of a globally competitive region in an innovation economy," said Tim Sheehy, president of the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce. "It's exactly the kind of project that has broad regional impact."

Economist's perspective
Santiago, an economist, argues that no big metropolitan area has transitioned into the 21st century knowledge-driven economy without a research-based university at its core. He told the newspaper that he has spent weeks lobbying politicians and flying around the nation to meet with big-dollar donors from the private sector.

Past UWM construction projects have taken eight to 13 years, Santiago said, adding that he's unwilling to settle for anything longer than six to eight years for the entire engineering school expansion.

"His timetable is aggressive, but it's necessary for the metro economy to keep pace with the world marketplace," said Thomas Hefty, retired CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield United of Wisconsin and an economic-development activist who co-chaired Gov. Jim Doyle's Economic Growth Council from 2003-'05.

But at this point, Santiago freely admits that he still doesn't have the money he needs, doesn't own the land, and has not yet begun expanding the 60 engineering-school faculty members to 100, as he plans.

One potential hitch that could derail the UWM project lies in the Madison statehouse, where some lawmakers for years have opposed increases to the state's higher-education spending.

Doyle, who endorses UWM's expansion, has earmarked an additional $10 million in the state's 2007-'09 budget for the project. If Doyle and the UW System fail to push their UW "growth" budget through the Legislature, then Santiago cannot hire new faculty, donors will go away, and the UWM project will lose momentum.

"I'd have to turn to Plan B, and I don't have a Plan B," Santiago said.

Santiago also must succeed in selling the plan to the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors. Walker said he's heard no opposition from the County Board so far.

The Milwaukee 7, a southeastern Wisconsin development group that's drafting an economic master plan for the region, has put UWM's expansion on its legislative agenda "from the start" and "championed it as well with meetings with the governor for budget inclusion," said Julia Taylor, president of the Greater Milwaukee Committee, a civic group that helps drive the M7.

UW System President Kevin Reilly, who appeared with Santiago before the newspaper's editorial board, endorsed the Santiago plan. "We need more engineers who get their degrees here and stay here," Reilly said.

Big ambitions
Milwaukee is home to three relatively small engineering schools. UWM's landlocked east side campus lacks room for expansion. The school now crowds its scientists into a cramped building with antiquated facilities designed in the 1960s.

Marquette University has joined UWM in playing catch-up with a $167 million plan to modernize its College of Engineering. The Milwaukee School of Engineering last year completed a capital campaign that raised $77 million to build facilities and bolster its programs.

Universities in Milwaukee collectively generate $160 million a year in research grants.

"That's too small for a region as large as we are," Santiago told the editorial board. The medical complex on the county's west side, which has been the biggest driver of research to date, two years ago prompted GE Healthcare, a division of General Electric Co., to build an $89 million complex in the Milwaukee County Research Park for its information-systems division.

Santiago said UWM emulates the University of Illinois at Chicago, which alone generates $300 million in equivalent funds. While Wisconsin spends $4,500 per student at UWM, Illinois spends twice that much.

Previously, UWM said only that it planned to build a $70 million engineering school, but never gave a timetable. Last week it said the $70 million engineering building will stand at the heart of the $143 million Innovation Park, surrounded by a business incubation center and a Wisconsin Institute for Biomedical Health Technology.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote