daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #601
xX60Xx

Likes (Received): 2

well if it wasn't for the spire sears tower still wouldv'e been WTB.
but if this building had an spire in its original design(first) then it would have been a diffrent story.
again when it comes to Chicago they end up unlucky.
btw it actually does fit the tower
xX60Xx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #602
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

Nah Taipei 101 would be WTB because the topmost floor is above Sears topmost floor. I agree if Pentominium had the guts to just increase height to like 152 floors to beat CS, the spire appearance to me is like NY times tower just a flagpole that will wobble in the wind. Real spires like Burj Dubai and ESB and Chrysler should count for height like you can climb to the top of spire on Burj Dubai and peer out over the edge while replacing the aircraft warning lights!!!!!
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #603
OMH

Likes (Received): 14

The Pentominium is a beautiful building, definetily, and IMO the design without the spire looks much better, and i don't really see any reason to add a spire to this building, since the spire,like many people wrote here, unlike as with the Burj Dubai, isn't an integral part of the design, and is in this case more or less only an add-on.
So for me at least CS will be still the highest residential Building, b/c a Spire IMO should only be counted if its an integral part of he design, meaning that it forms the conclusion of a tapering building design as i is the case with Burj Dubai, or is a integral part of the design, like Burj Al Arab .
This doesn't seem to be the case with this building though, but nevertheless its still a beautiful and futuristic design, and The Pentominium will be one of the most remarkable residential highrises when finished.
OMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #604
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

The irony in this is that, any day now, another Dubai developer could propose tower, tall enough to be the tallest residential _without the aid of a spire_at which time the developer of Pentominium is going to look a little silly, I should think.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #605
CMack
///M

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
The irony in this is that, any day now, another Dubai developer could propose tower, tall enough to be the tallest residential _without the aid of a spire_at which time the developer of Pentominium is going to look a little silly, I should think.
No kidding, it's bound to happen before this tower is completed... kinda stupid on Pent. developers part... or not b/c they probably only care about $$ which explains this "marketing ploy" of adding the stick to make the misleading designation of worlds tallest residential just to sell units. Once they sell out, they could care less if the building is surpassed by another announcement during/after Pent's completion.

$.02
CMack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #606
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Is there an economic point to all these tall skyscrapers in Dubai, a justification for the land being so valuable that you should build up so high (like the situation in New York or Chicago)...... or is it just a whole pile of Sheikhs playing "who's got the biggest *****"?
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #607
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

yes, developers are maximising their profits from land by building taller. They are able to sell the units, mostly before construction with no problem, so the demand is there. Look at the marina for example the fist talls were only 50 or so stories, but for each later launch the heights are taller suggesting that the demand increased as time went on and the development and popularity of the marina matured.

Some of the supertalls are used as center pieces for specific areas such as Burj Dubai to attract investment.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #608
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
^i think it does. it really suits it. its an architectural feature just like ESBs spire or Chyslers.
just like current worlds tallest apartments-322m Q1 tower. Its spire terminates the crown perfectly.
yes i understands everyone furore about how spires "cheat" and grab titles but thats life in big city. americans architects designed Pentominium and would have known about USA s height limit, so they probably thought, why build 2nd tallest in world while we could add a spire and grab the tallest title. its not only for status purpuses but market selling. pentominium will know sell better having the worlds tallest title.
Eureka in melbourne opened 1 year after Q1 and they say they are the worlds tallest apartments. even though the 297m tower falls short of 322m spire of Q1. its all about thinking and design.
but yes i do feel sorry for SPIREs marketing team and devlopers. not sure if they even know about pentominiums acddition. but i think they realise once they have seen them next to each other, they will be still happy they have a taller bldg with higher units.
end of rant ;-)
I dont agree at all, both the Chrysler tower and ESB are desinged around their spires. The Pentominium was in fact originally designed without a spire and its clear that its something they have just architecthurally attached to it. I think its awful and dishonourable to the art of architechture and what its supposed to accomplish; raise the technological and esthetic standards in cities.

I feel that way not because it somehow hurts the Chicago Spire, but I think it will look bad in the Marina. But I suppose it is a matter of taste.

It should be noted though, that the Chrysler Tower and ESB were also racing for a title and had that reason for a spire, as well.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; July 14th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #609
Twipsy

Likes (Received): 4

What if we all send our complaints to the developer? If they receive 100+ messages from skyscraper freaks like us, that might convince them to think about the spire again. Maybe they will ignore us, but it is worth a try. Developers is Dubai are very open minded and if there is a small chance that they will increase the floor number instead of building a spire, we should not waste that chance.
Twipsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #610
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Yeah.....good luck with that.
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #611
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twipsy View Post
What if we all send our complaints to the developer? If they receive 100+ messages from skyscraper freaks like us, that might convince them to think about the spire again. Maybe they will ignore us, but it is worth a try. Developers is Dubai are very open minded and if there is a small chance that they will increase the floor number instead of building a spire, we should not waste that chance.
Its already U/C. Increasing the floor number would probably come with its engineering complications. I suggest they simply leave the spire out.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #612
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Is there an economic point to all these tall skyscrapers in Dubai, a justification for the land being so valuable that you should build up so high (like the situation in New York or Chicago)...... or is it just a whole pile of Sheikhs playing "who's got the biggest *****"?

It's like having a teenage kid (Dubai) and the rich parents (US/West) giving them $ to buy a BMW, even though they don't need it.

The wealth in this desert city is because of the oil $ from us. It will all end in the next couple of decades. They know that all these buildings will be empty. It's kind of sad. Let's just enjoy while the spotlight is on them.
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #613
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i would like to know where u got your info from, there not rich from the us, and all of these buildings will NOT BE EMPTY
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #614
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post
It's like having a teenage kid (Dubai) and the rich parents (US/West) giving them $ to buy a BMW, even though they don't need it.

The wealth in this desert city is because of the oil $ from us. It will all end in the next couple of decades. They know that all these buildings will be empty. It's kind of sad. Let's just enjoy while the spotlight is on them.
Apart the fact that this 'them and us' attitude is sort of outdated, I guess you are pretty much wrong on the 'rich because of the oil & from us'. Not only is Dubai not so much deppendant on oil nowadays, but I'd like to remind you that it's not 'sad' to earn money from selling commodities. There are places in you beloved country that, at least in the past, did just like that.
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #615
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
i would like to know where u got your info from, there not rich from the us, and all of these buildings will NOT BE EMPTY
so who is going to occupy them? Dubai is building the worlds biggest/tallest cityscape.... and its not even a top 100 populated city in the world!! LOL
even if the whole United Arab Emirates was counted, it still wouldn't be in the top 100 populated cities!

i know you love Dubai and think its amazing, but there's a point when you have to ignore your sticky wet stains in your shorts and think economically and realistically.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #616
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3401

Dubais property market looks healthyer than the one in the USA.

At least it didn`t crash.

Skyscrapers are better than endless boring suburb building.

You have the freedom to visit this city, to look at some of the tallest skyscrapers and to enjoy it. Use your freedom and stop complaining.

Tom_Green está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #617
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twipsy View Post
Let's try this...We can't lose anything...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #618
DodgyEye
Talk like a Pirate

Likes (Received): 8

America virtually invented the "mine's bigger than yours" game, and Americans were more than happy when everything was going their way. But since Petronas took the offical WTB title, there's been nothing but sour grapes, and "spires don't count", and "they're cheating". Get over it! Both New York and Chicago are wonderful cities, and will remain so even if they never regain the title of "World's tallest.." anything.
Imagine you were English; where we haven't had a World's tallest for over 500 years!! And are unlikely to ever have one again. We're not bitter...
DodgyEye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #619
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

What article/website tells of this building being underconstruction?

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #620
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

not an article but pics
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai, marsa dubai, pentominium tower, plot no. 392-567