daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #2181
solchante

Likes (Received): 1457

thanks pmalenkin
solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #2182
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Thanks, I'll write that down so I'll remember... any other help is appreciated!
I made a mistake! It's A-1506 no A-1508! (The A-1508 runs further South)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2183
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

Guys, I need your advice - what's the fastest (in terms of time) route from Marbella to Narbonne? A month ago, when I came to Marbella, I took the A(P)-7, but there is a problem with that missing part in south east... so maybe some other way? Obviously, preferred roads are toll motorways, but time factor is the most important. Thanks in advance.
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2184
CNGL
Leudimin

In Malaga take the A-45 up to the Las Pedrizas pass (AP-46 is still U/C), then the A-92M which merges with A-92 towards Granada. There go North on A-44 to E05 (Which is in reconstruction but not as bad as the E90 between la Almunia and Zaragoza), in Manzanares take the A-43 to the East and finally the E901 for re-enter E15 in Valencia.
It's 30 km shorther than all the way via the coast and you avoid Murcia and Alicante, at some times there are lots of traffic in the section of E15 linking those two cities.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2185
tompaw

Thanks for the tip, buddy. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning, hopefully the traffic's not so bad on Sundays.
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #2186
CNGL
Leudimin

Then you can stay on A-92 until Guadix, then take the A-92N which becomes A-91 at the regional border and ends at E15, it's the same distance. But in that zone (Around Lorca) happened an earthquake a couple of months ago, so I don't know how it's the E15 now...
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #2187
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yesterday was 15th July, and this weekend will be a lot of traffic specially on touristic areas.

Way recommended by CNGL is nice. A little longer but avoids a lot of coast. The most difficult point is just when leaving Andalucia. Highway is horrible and it is on works. You will see them and the way you could get next year (they are very advanced).
It has only the problem that you may cross Valencia and all the coast between there and Barcelona and could have congestion.

Another alternatives:

Drive through Madrid (if crossing on sunday except evening-night, no problem) and take direction Zaragoza. In the km. 135 of the A-2 get direction Tarragona. It is a normal road but very good and no traffic (the national road with less traffic in Spain).
It is a big longer but be sure no problem on traffic

http://maps.google.es/maps?saddr=mar...,2,3,4&t=h&z=6

Another option:

Crossing Pyrenees by the middle. A bit longer but sure no problem of traffic. There is motorway in all the traject except between near Huesca and Pau. The mountains are crossed by a 8,6 km tunnel and... it will not be the highest point of the route (between Madrid and Zaragoza there is a little highest point).

http://maps.google.es/maps?saddr=mar...,4,5,6&t=h&z=7

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #2188
tompaw

Thanks again :-) I will take lots of picture and report the trip afterwards (it's a part from my ride back home from Marbella to Krakow).
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2189
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In this case... consider my second option. You enter France by the middle of the Pyrenees, go to Toulouse and, instead of going to Mediterranean, get North and later west through Dijon.

Later, the same way for any cases.

Way is very easy. At Marbella always direction Madrid (First Malaga, Granada, Jaén, but always Madrid), later Zaragoza and later Huesca-Pau. It is indicated as A-23, and E-07.

There are about 180 km of normal road. The rest is motorway (all ones in Spain will be free).
International tunnel of 8,6 km and at Pau, directon Toulouse and later, north.

Maybe... less kilometres indeed!!!!!

Get your fuel tank full at Spain, it is cheaper as you see.

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #2190
tompaw

So far the two things I learnt about Spanish motorways are:

1) VISA credit cards work EVERYWHERE but on Spanish toll roads and parkings, where noone speaks english and can explain why ;-)
2) most petrol stations in Spain are NOT 24/7 (this almost made me sleep for 6h somewhere near AP7)
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #2191
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

1- Visa and Mastercard... I think are accepted in all places that accept credit cards. Of course not all bussiness accept them (you can enter on a little restaurant that accept only cash, for example) but should they accept Cards, Visa and Mastercard will be accepted.
This is important to remark because, for example, American Express is allowed in few places only.
About languages... as I said on another thread, Spain was isolated until the 60s. There was an "unculture" about languages. No business with other countries, no need to speak foreing languages.
Today all school and high schools have at least one, sometimes two languages mandatory, and there are programs in some of them where 50% of classes are given in a foreing language (yeah!!!!, think if Maths, History and someone else is explained by the teacher in another language)
But... people who learn languages correctly... be sure they will not be on a parking or petrol station working.

2- About petrol station... AP-7 is a toll motorway. All toll motorways must (by law) have a petrol station about every 35 km and one out of two must open 24h.
In new signals they indicate timetable for petrol stations and where is the next 24h. Some of them are automatic. This is, 24h but only self service with credit card... but you could fill up your tank.

If stopping in the road because no fuel you can be fined. And highest if it is a motorway.
Police usually do not fine in those case because they know that money and troubles you have had are higher than the fine they can put you... but it could be reason of fine.

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2192
tompaw

Well, I have 2 visa cards: a debit and a credit one. None of them works on autopistas.

Anyway, thanks for your advices. We left Marbella at 6am, by 11 we were passing Valencia You guys have great roads, the views are amazing. Also, no traffic so far!
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #2193
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I am really surprised because credit cards, not only because they allow most of them but also because they are interested in cars paying as fast as they can and avoid congestion on toll cabins.

About "great roads", general network is good. It could be better. Sometimes you may decide to make a "tour" by motorway or decide to get a normal road direct. Other times you ask yourself why this motorway is a toll one and the next one is free (and when you have to cross it frequently... the point of view changes).

About service areas at motorways, as I said, I think that on toll motorways it is mandatory one every 35 km (or maybe 40???, not sure... but those distances...) and one out of two must be opened 24h.

This is a photo from the AP-68 taken just very near my city. In the signal they point that the service area is opened 24h and the next one is 30 km. away but opens only 7h-23h.
You can decide to get fuel or continue depending of your tank situation, the distances and... if day or night.

And it is easy to undestand. "Sobradiel" is the name of the rest area (and the name of the little village closed there). Some pics indicates petrol station, bar, restaurant...
Later they say the schedule. In this case, "0 a 24 h"
Finnally, next rest area. It is in 30 km, and opened "7 a 23h"

Old July 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #2194
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is only in Spanish but I recommend anyone who is going to drive in Spain this summer to download it, translate and read carefully.

It is an official press note made by traffic authority about journeys in summer. Eight pages where they say something about the most used motorways, which dates are important to avoid (or use alternative ways).
In the page 6 you will find the accidents per summer since 2000 (number of people death in july and august because car accident). It has a really decreasing tendence... but it is responsibility of everyone to keep it down.

Should anyone be interested on it and have problems with translation, do not hesitate to ask for help.

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten...Prensa0121.pdf

Old July 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #2195
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And... apart of some police cars that have a radar inside, there are many points with fixed radars. You can have a look in the official page:

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/informac...teras/radares/

Important!. Catalonian and Basque roads do not appear there. They have their own page.

There are two "branch radars". They do not control if your speed is 120 km/h in one exact point but... if your average speed was 120 between two points...
The rest of radars must be checked by province or road. You should know your traject, number of roads or name of provinces you will cross.

As before... just ask for any question

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2196
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Likes (Received): 0

Spain has one of world's most amazing highways! They are so smooth and nice to drive on. The landscape is just I would love to see Morocco build highways like the one's in Spain instead of the French model.

The only problem is that Spain just hasn't got that many gas stations and they aren't that clean.
Lebanese_Almaghrebia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2197
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
1- Visa and Mastercard... I think are accepted in all places that accept credit cards. Of course not all bussiness accept them (you can enter on a little restaurant that accept only cash, for example) but should they accept Cards, Visa and Mastercard will be accepted.
There are exceptions - things such as sporting events. Certainly you needed to have one type and not the other (which caused a lot of annoyance) to enter the lottery for Olympic tickets as one of the two is an Official Sponser.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #2198
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
There are exceptions - things such as sporting events. Certainly you needed to have one type and not the other (which caused a lot of annoyance) to enter the lottery for Olympic tickets as one of the two is an Official Sponser.

off-topic... I will try to pay attention but I do not remember anywhere (even if it is a sporting event, concert or anything special) where you may pay with a concrete credit card only.

Anywhere, in ALL cases, cash money must be allowed (legal reasons... most of times will be easier to pay by bank account or credit card but all companies must assure you can pay in cash)

As I say, I do not remember cases for only one credit card. What it is very usual is when a bank is a sponsor of an event and tickets are sold on their office and cash dispenser. In those cases they will put different commision if you use any card from that bank or from another bank... but it will doesn't matter if it is a visa, mastercard or any other... The computering system only takes care if it is from that bank or another one to calculate the commission, nothing about the type of car

(when I was student and had debit cards free as student, I had different ones from different banks to save money when buying tickets, because sometimes I had to buy in one bank, othertimes in another one... and when you are student, you know... let's save money anywhere...)

off-topic end

Old July 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #2199
mmmartin

Hi. On which side of this thread can I find more about Tenerife and Gran Canaria motorways? Many thanks!
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #2200
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin View Post
Hi. On which side of this thread can I find more about Tenerife and Gran Canaria motorways? Many thanks!

I will recommend you this thread
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...238559&page=17

It is one specific of infrastructures at Canary Islands. Post will be in Spanish but no problem if writting in English. I am sure someone will answer you.

If it is about the island of Fuerteventura I can tell you anything. It is the only one I know.

Anyway... all islands there are small. The two in the centre have the biggest population (Santa Cruz and Las Palmas are between the biggest Spanish cities) and there are some motorways because traffic.

Any Spanish law applies there, even for traffic, even for any other thing.
For example, the web I posted yesterday about Spanish radars is able too at Canary Islands (the traffic authority is the same).

There are some people who think they have arrived on tourism on an African islands in the middle of the jungle... and the reality is that there are not too many differences (apart of distance and always needing a plane) between there and the south of Spain, for example. Thrue that you are closed to Tropic... but it is only one out of the 17 Spanish regions.

And... just if you have a map, follow it. There are not too many roads to get lost.

An important remark. Both of them, specially Tenerife, have mountains in the middle. This will make some roads nice and other ones very hard.
The highest peak in Spain is Teide, at Tenerife (it is always a question on exam at School, second one is Mulhacen closed to Granada and third one is Aneto, at Aragon in the Pyrenees... but the highest is at Canary islands). This means... think in a little island with a 3.700m peak...

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida