daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #2201
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Green A-5 and blue E90: http://maps.google.es/maps?ll=40.106...261.6,,1,16.53. Who said that shield switches only occur in the US?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2202
DOMAN

Likes (Received): 0

Hi!

Where I can find maps of autopistas/autovias network form past (I need year 1985/1990/1995/2000/2005)?

Anybody know?
DOMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #2203
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Enter here and have a look to all pages since the first one. You will find some "historical" maps.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...18465&page=110

Thread is in Spanish but for a map, no problem about language.

If you need a specific map, ask for it. No problem making question in English.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2204
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMAN View Post
Hi!

Where I can find maps of autopistas/autovias network form past (I need year 1985/1990/1995/2000/2005)?

Anybody know?
They are hard to find. If you are really interested you can buy some maps on the internet.

Anyway, I found these:

31st december 2001: http://www.zonu.com/fullsize/2010-07...de-Espana.html

This one looks like from the year 2000. No idea what the red dots mean: http://www.zonu.com/fullsize2/2009-1...de-Espana.html

I have a bunch of old maps, including the Official Road Map from the Spanish ministry of Public Works from 1997 and the Campsa Guide 2000 (as famous in Spain as the official map, or even more). I can scan some pages if you want

Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #2205
DOMAN

Cicerón - to be honest I need only approximate maps like this one from Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...v%C3%ADas2.PNG, but with main cities. It can be even more approximated. I don't need names and numbers of this roads. I have to only know which main cities were connected with motorways in a given year.

Generally I need map from a few years: around 1980, 1986, something from mid 90's and 2000.

I thought that Ministerio de Fomento has such a maps in their website (to show people how the are good in building roads ).

Probably I can find some maps in Europe Motorway Atlas. I have one from 1992...
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2206
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

As far as I know motorway openings in Spain are poorly documented, few are known by exact date or year, except for more recent openings. So it will be hard to create such a map now.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2207
DOMAN

Ok, but I can also obtain this information from old polical maps. Some trace is http://www2.ign.es/ane/ane1986-2008/ - Atlas Nacional de Espana. But navigation in this stuff is really difficult.
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #2208
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Talking by head (needs to be checked)

Until 1991 only toll motorways. Most of those which appears today, except the one from the south of Madrid through Albacete, the one near Malaga and someones near Madrid and Barcelona (I think I do not miss anyone).

In 1991-92 they were opened to traffic:

- A-1 Madrid-Burgos and most (but not all) Miranda-San Sebastián
- A-2 Madrid-Zaragoza
- A-3 Part of Madrid-Valencia
and branch to Alicante (and later branch Almansa-Valencia)
- A-4 Madrid-Sevilla
- A-5 Madrid-Badajoz (not full, it was finished some years later)
- A-6 Madrid-La Coruña, most of it but not full
- Tordesillas-Valladolid-Burgos
- Sevilla-Granada
- Pamplona-San Sebastián
- Bilbao-Santander

and... I am not sure but I think that no more, except little motorways near main cities.

Further... you can see at wikipedia the day of opening of every motorway later than these ones.

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #2209
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMAN View Post
Cicerón - to be honest I need only approximate maps like this one from Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...v%C3%ADas2.PNG, but with main cities. It can be even more approximated. I don't need names and numbers of this roads. I have to only know which main cities were connected with motorways in a given year.

Generally I need map from a few years: around 1980, 1986, something from mid 90's and 2000.

I thought that Ministerio de Fomento has such a maps in their website (to show people how the are good in building roads ).

Probably I can find some maps in Europe Motorway Atlas. I have one from 1992...
That will be hard to get. Anyway, here you have, only autopistas, autovías and main roads are shown:

Mapa Oficial de Carreteras 1997, Ministerio de Fomento:

Large size:
West | Centre | East

Guía Campsa 2000:

Large size:
West | East

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
As far as I know motorway openings in Spain are poorly documented, few are known by exact date or year, except for more recent openings. So it will be hard to create such a map now.
+1.

Last edited by Cicerón; July 20th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:01 AM   #2210
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

I have a 1992 Michelin Spain Road Map. But it is not in my Dutch residence. It lays somewhere on a dusty box. What I recall from my detailed examination of those early 1990s maps I took from my parents is that there were not many freeways in Spain at that time (neither in Portugal), and that an all-freeway link between Portugal and Spain didn't exist, and that many, many freeways were marked as "autovía en obras".
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2211
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have a 1992 Michelin Spain Road Map. But it is not in my Dutch residence. It lays somewhere on a dusty box. What I recall from my detailed examination of those early 1990s maps I took from my parents is that there were not many freeways in Spain at that time (neither in Portugal), and that an all-freeway link between Portugal and Spain didn't exist, and that many, many freeways were marked as "autovía en obras".

Toll motorways, most of actual ones, where opened in the late 70s.

Rest of motorways (toll free) where opened in 1991-92, and sometimes part of them later.
There was an ambitious road plan that made too many motorways for the 92.
Several reasons and remarks:

- In 1992 they were celebrated Olimpyc Games at Barcelona, Cultural Capital at Madrid and Universal Exhibition at Sevilla. As well, it was the fifth anniversary of America discovery. Too many people visited the country.
- Most of motorways were made using the old road. This is, just only the second way and... two lanes per direction. They are called the "new generation highways". Today they are being updated. Specially A-1, A-2 and A-4. I think the worst point is in the A-4 entering Andalucia but a big civil works is updating it:

Just to compare. This is most of route there. Left Andalucia, Right Castilla La Mancha. You can see the carriage of "A-4 Sur" and "A-4 Norte" and, more or less, calculate the curve radio (limited to 50 km/h)

And this is a photo of actual motorway and new motorway on works in that part (watched direction north-south)

In the rest of A-4 there are most of punctual updates, as well as A-1 and A-2. But the greatest is this one

Old July 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2212
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

For anyone who is going to drive this summer at Spain, the Traffic authority has prepared this document of "alternative routes".
In all of cases the alternative has more kilometres, is normal road (not motorway) or... both, but instead, you will avoid zones on works as well as the most congested areas while summer.

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten...s_20110701.pdf

Document is only in Spanish but maps need no translation.

Spanish forers have found at least two little mistakes. Should anyone need help, just ask for it.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM   #2213
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post

Last news about the A-4 Madrid-Cadiz

In september-october, the lanes direction south will be opened to traffic as well as part (the one that replaces the worst part of actual one) of the lanes direction north.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2214
Positronn

Likes (Received): 2731

And the old A4 road stretch ? What will they do with it?
Positronn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2215
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Just for service use only. For example, if some crash on the main motorway, you will be able to continue by the old one.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM   #2216
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronn View Post
And the old A4 road stretch ? What will they do with it?

As an example, the Viella tunnel is under the Pyrenees. It is the only part of Spain in the "north of Pyrenees" (most of the border is on mountains passes). It is part of a valley in the north part that it is still in Spain for about 30 km.

There was a very narrow tunnel built in the 40s. More than 5 km of tunnel that was pointed as... the most dangerous tunnel in Europe.

It was so narrow that it was dangerous to cross driving with a tunnel.

Since some years there is a parallel tunnel.

The old tunnel is used for emergency (corridors connects both tunnels) and it is going to be prepared to be used for dangerous trucks. This is... in the new tunnel only cars and normal trucks. If a truck with dangerous merchandises will want to cross the tunnel it will have to do it on the old one.

In this picture they appear both tunnel. Left one is the new one. Two lanes direction south (upper direction) and one lane direction north (downer direction).
Right one is the old one. It appears as closed both narrow lanes.

Do not try to translate the signal written because it is not in Spanish but in Catalan. It says that trucks with dangerous merchandises are forbidden 22h to 6h.

Old July 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #2217
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Yesterday I went through this exit: http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ll=...96.82,,1,-5.67

It's the highest exit number not only in Spain, but in all Europe. I saw some photos with Chinese exit numbers that were even higher.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2218
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

The reason of that number of exits is because in some motorways with more exits that usually or where they have used part of the old road, they use the number of the km where they are, instead of the number of exit.
This is... they are more many exits than in other motorways. They write the kilometre. Maybe you have one in km.1, km3, km5 and km8... and they wrote exits as 1, 3, 5 and 8. So the, 2, 4, 6, 7... do not exists as exits.

This highway (only partially highway, there are parts as normal road but keeps the same number of kilometres) starts at Cadiz and takes all south Atlantic, and all the Mediterranean, from the south until Barcelona.
So then... you arrive Barcelona and in the last exit you will see this number...

Old July 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2219
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

About "world records"

AP-2 between Zaragoza and Mediterranean has, sometimes exits very closed but between exit number 3 (Bujalaroz) and exit number 4 (Fraga) there are 46 km with no exits!!!!

Is it the longest distance on a motorway without an exit?

Old July 25th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2220
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The Autopista Durango - Torreón in Mexico has no exits for 60 kilometers. The Autopista Córdoba - Minatitlán has no exits for 80 kilometers. Autopistas with no exits up to 50 km are not uncommon in Mexico.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida