daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #2261
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Great! We lack photo reports from Spain

I wonder if the AP-6 is the only motorway in Spain with reversible lanes. They don't seem to be that popular in Europe.
AP-6? The Guadarrama tunnels? I guess you mean A-6, where are the only HOV lanes in Spain. Yep, they aren't just reversible, but also carpool.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #2262
ckm

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
AP-6? The Guadarrama tunnels? I guess you mean A-6, where are the only HOV lanes in Spain. Yep, they aren't just reversible, but also carpool.
AFAIK there are no HOVs in A-6, just in AP-6.
ckm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2263
CNGL
Leudimin

That section is called A-6 up to Collado Villalba, then becomes the AP-6, with tolls, to Adanero, and then becomes A-6 again all the way to Corunna (But for me from Baamonde becomes E70). The HOV lanes are between Madrid and Las Rozas so they are on A-6.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #2264
CARABAZA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Yes, it's true, just look at the signs

Enjoy more pics!

Well, we leave Madrid...

Cuesta de San Vicente / Bailén St. bridge

Coming back to Cantabria, we get into the Madrid ringroad (west), M-30 towards A-1 in northern Madrid

CTBA

Calle 30, inside Madrid urban structure and called Avenida de la Ilustración

Coming back to the motorway

Ramón y Cajal Hospital

Looking for the way towards Burgos (A-1)

We are very close to CTBA

Here you can see "Isla Chamartin" towers, very close to "nudo norte", the point where we left M-30 to face A-1 towards Burgos.

On Chamartin Railway station's marshalling yard, Kio towers and CTBA

And just few pics of A-1 (I have already posted more pics in other threads...)

ECI Sanchinarro (Shopping Centre)

Alcobendas

Towards Guadarrama mountains

Last edited by CARABAZA; September 15th, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
CARABAZA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Are there still plans to improve the Avenida Illustración to motorway standards?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2266
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

Quote:
Great! We lack photo reports from Spain

I wonder if the AP-6 is the only motorway in Spain with reversible lanes. They don't seem to be that popular in Europe.
You have also that on A-8 from Bilbao to Cantabria.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #2267
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Are there still plans to improve the Avenida Illustración to motorway standards?
I believe there is a plan to make a new tunnel for complete the M-30 motorway around Madrid. But I believe is too expensive, I would upgrade Avenida de la Ilustración (Current M-30 route) to motorway standards.
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #2268
ilyan

Likes (Received): 861

Did you begin to build some stretches/motorways after 2009 year or you finish only earlier projects?
ilyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2269
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Yeah, for instance the works of the junction between the A-12, LO-20, N-232 and AP-68 started in January 2010.

I don't know about the rest of Spain but I'm sure this is not the only one.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #2270
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:

As already explained, there are several different roads in all photos.

According to question made, the "reversible lanes" are at AP-6 Guadarrama tunnel. Going from Madrid to north-east, the motorway is A-6 (oldly N-VI... remember I explaned that there are six radial and general roads with Roman numbers). Later you can choose to cross mountain by the pass with the N-VI or get about 80 km (and the tunnels) with the AP-6 (it is not expensive... specially if you consider that part of them are tunnels... and you pay per km. no special toll for tunnel... so if you want, you can take it only for toll tunnel, pay not too much and later continue on the normal road until the end of the toll motorway where it starts the free motorway).

All congestions in that toll motorway were in the tunnels and specially on weekends.

After building tunnel number 3, if I am not wrong, they use tunnel number 3 direction north-east, tunnel number 3 direction Madrid and tunnel number 1 is reversible... but they can change the operation of tunnels if needed and it is always with a 120 km/h speed limit.

When tunnel 3 was finished they started to use it but not reversible yet... they used for closing tunnels 1 and later 2, for updating.

If no congestion, tunnel 1 is closed (enought with two tunnels).

Near Madrid there are reversible lanes in the centre but... they can be used (please, correct me if wrong) only by buses and by cars with at least three passengers.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #2271
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:

CNGL, PLEASE... CLOSED TO YOUR CITY, YOU FORGOT ONE EXAMPLE!!!!!!!!!

At A-23 (E-07), in the Monrepos tunnels there are two lanes direction Jaca-Pau (going up the mountain pass) and one lane direction Huesca-Zaragoza.

They will normally have opened two lanes north and one lane south.This is, ritgh and central lanes north and left lane south (looking to the north in the tunnel). But it is possible to close right lane (only central lane north and left lane south..., but in this case there is no reversible lane, only restriction) or close left lane (in this case right lane north, central lane becomes reversible and it is direction south).

They are very small cases but I have had one of them.

And it is possible (not had, but read on newspapers) to close two lanes (for example for new asphalt) and give alternative traffic ways with the last lane. There are traffic signals in both sides of tunnels.

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #2272
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyan View Post
Did you begin to build some stretches/motorways after 2009 year or you finish only earlier projects?

Updating A-1, A-2 and A-4 started in 2009.
They are not "new motorways" but investments can be as big as when they were opened because they will change only 25% of route... but the most conflictive parts.

Just have a look of one message I posted about the new motorway at Despeñaperros (entrance to Andalucia with the A-4) some pages before.

I do not remember new motorways, but we can check ministry pages to have a look.

What it is sure is that in 2009 they started Alcañiz orbital road. Three national roads cross themselves in the middle of a town and all traffic crossed by the middle.
They started the work but went very slow... and when it was confirmed that in September 2010 it will be celebrated the Grand Prix of Aragon of Moto GP, they run too much. For the Grand Prix they opened the new road... only for the weekend (partially without finishing) and closed again.
It was finished in April 2011. This september 2011, when second Grand Prix of Aragon of Moto GP (circuit is located just there), orbital road will be totally new...

Old August 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2273
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
As far as I know, it wasn't all opened at the same time. Maybe you show the part it wasn't opened still!!.

Anyways (a bit longer but free), A-1 goes from Irun to Vitoria and near Miranda. Later there is no alternative but it is possible to cross Miranda by the motorway paying half and continuing by N-I.
Yes, the part not opened yet was the interchange with the A-8. Coming off the A-8 I expected a brand new motorway. Instead there was a tollbooth and a country lane and a bunch of tourists who were just as confused as I was. Obviously traveling with the same navigation map.

Getting onto the N-1 at San Sebastian is 40 km shorter than using A8, AP-1 via Bilbao if you're heading towards Burgos/Madrid.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #2274
CNGL
Leudimin

E70 from Bilbao to F border is AP-8 now. I still hope that someday the N-I between Miranda de Ebro to San Sebastián gets renumbered accordly to the current numeration: A-1.

Quote:
I reccomend to use it also for new roads or motorways... but not the google maps (I have found a lot of mistakes and I suppose that you too...). I recommend to use the google street view!!!!!

In fact I remember one tunnel still not opened (maybe will be opened next winter after 11 years on works... maybe later) but in most navigators appeared as opened.

I knew it wasn't opened since one point and I avoided it... but I read news about drivers who followed navigator indications and... suddenly the road was closed!!.

I had a friend who tried a different trick!. He tried to have a look at google about the pics of the new road. And of course it was fantastic until the point where... it was closed.

He recommended (and so do I) to have a look there. Should it does not appear any photo at google street view (and full of photos in the surrounds...) better to choose a different way.

Actually, at least at Google it is correctly updated

CNGL: Just guess which tunnel I am talking about...
The N-260 one! They will open it next year... If they want, of course.
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #2275
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
The N-260 one! They will open it next year...
correct!!!!!

Quote:
If they want, of course.

And correct too!!!!!....

Eleven (or twelve, or more????) years on works for a 3 km tunnel and access.

Old August 13th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #2276
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Fomento last month advertised two new contracts, two of which are termination works for previous contracts which were started but abandoned.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_...ios_centrales/

Spanish Wikipedia also says that Fomento has apparently had to stop work on the Las Gabias-Santa Fé portion of the A-44 Granada outer bypass. This was previously put out to tender under the key number 43-GR-3730. There are apparently plans to finish this and an adjacent A-44 contract through termination works in 2012 and 2013.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #2277
CNGL
Leudimin

I've found a mistake: The A-2 section goes from km 695 to km 702. From km 13 to km 20 is in Madrid and it's E90. I believe they put km 0 in Tordera, where A-2 will split away from C-32, that will be km 682.
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #2278
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I've found a mistake: The A-2 section goes from km 695 to km 702. From km 13 to km 20 is in Madrid and it's E90. I believe they put km 0 in Tordera, where A-2 will split away from C-32, that will be km 682.
I think the puntos kilometricos quoted in the advertisement are from a survey for this segment (possibly starting at C-32, as you suggest). The actual exit signs will have the distance from Madrid. The exits which get signs under this contract are 694 (Sils/Vidreres), 697 (Hostalric/Santa Coloma de Farners), and 700 (Caldes de Malavella).
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #2279
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

About "autopista" and "autovia".

I have found no legal documentation to give further information about differences, but remembering all years ago, I have a little list of criteria for a "dual carriageway" to be declared autopista or autovia:

At an "autopista":

- No pedestrians, motorcycles or bikes are allowed
- It must be always an alternative way (normally a paralel road). Should you have problems with your car, it is mandatory to take off in the next exit and get any alternative way but not the motorway
- It must be fenced
- It must have pole emergency phones every 2 km.

In the begining, mainly toll motorways had all those requirements (a little toll-free ones too, but not so many). Later, they have been updated and most of them have those requirements.

About pole emergency phones... it is a compulsory requirement for toll motorways. One phone every 2 km. You can use them 24/7 for emergency calls (even an accident, even if you require a wrecker...).

This is an example of one of those phones (AP-2, E-90, at Aragon, near Bujaraloz)

http://maps.google.es/?ll=41.522122,...88.28,,0,20.28

They are every 2 km and pointed every 0,5 km with a signal (and in the road usually in less distance) to know which is the nearest (the last one or maybe the next one, depending of distances. It is important to remember that you are going to go walking to there because an emergency)

Public works ministry started in the 90s to put those phones in the free-toll motorways as well as in normal national roads if heavy traffic.

A lot of years later they are thinking in taking them away because maintenance costs. They have very, very little uses and the maintenance is very similar if a high use or a little use.
People do not use them... just because with a mobile you can dial 112... and the same service!.
The only problem is those roads where mobile do not work at all.

Toll motorways will have to keep them active always, even if no use, just only because contract.
Costs are a little smaller than in public motorways. They do not require a service for calls because they can be answer by any toll cabin personnel (and they have 24 hours). And they are required to have a maintenance service that goes and comes back the motorway looking for sites to be replaced... and they make the maintenance of those phones too. But the cost exists.

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #2280
lucaf1

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
About "autopista" and "autovia".

I have found no legal documentation to give further information about differences,
3. Son autopistas las carreteras que están especialmente proyectadas, construidas y señalizadas como tales para la exclusiva circulación de automóviles y reúnen las siguientes características:

No tener acceso a las mismas las propiedades colindantes.

No cruzar a nivel ninguna otra senda, vía, línea de ferrocarril o tranvía ni ser cruzada a nivel por senda, vía de comunicación o servidumbre de paso alguna.

Constar de distintas calzadas para cada sentido de circulación, separadas entre sí, salvo en puntos singulares o con carácter te
mporal, por una franja de terreno no destinada a la circulación o, en casos excepcionales, por otros medios.

4. Son autovías las carreteras que, no reuniendo todos los requisitos de las autopistas, tienen calzadas separadas para cada sentido de la circulación y limitación de accesos a las propiedades colindantes.

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d.../l25-1988.html
lucaf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida