daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2421
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiroII View Post
Furthermore, maintenance and financial costs should also be considered in the cost-effectiveness, take for example the last stretch of the A-66 Zamora-Benavente (49 Km): it has been awarded for € 1.3 billion (!), which includes the building and the maintenance for 30 years.
The three tramos which make up the A-66 between Zamora and Benavente have only been advertised with an estimated €1.356 billion budget, not awarded yet. The deadline for submission of tenders elapsed last 20 September and tenders will not even be opened until later this month.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_...70-ZA-0010.htm

As an aside, I successfully downloaded all the documentation (32.6 GB!), but it took several tries to do so. The RAR archives are too fragile to survive downloading over a residential cable connection without CRC and unexpected-end-of-archive errors. I'd recommend downloading just Tramo II (the smallest of the three) as a test, and if uncompressing the RARs kicks up CRC errors, I'd recommend moving to a higher-quality connection with few steps between the data fiber and your network adapter.

Quote:
For the next decades, the Spanish state will have to pay for the maintenance of a larger motorway network than Germany, with barely a third of Germany's GDP, and with lower gas taxes and almost no tolls (see for instance the new Despeñaperros: a magnificent -and expensive- autovía completely free of use, therefore making the public budget bear the full burden of its cost, for decades to come). And there are even more projected low-traffic motorways to be built...
I don't see any difficulties in the fiscal position. Spain may have a third of Germany's GDP, but it also has less than one-half the population. Nominal Spanish per capita GDP is about three-quarters Germany's ($30,639 versus $40,274, using 2010 IMF figures as quoted in Wikipedia). The disparity is even less when per capita GDP is expressed in purchasing power parity: $36,081 (Germany) versus $29,830 (Spain) (again, using 2010 IMF figures from Wikipedia). The level of fuel taxation is unimportant since, unlike the federal government and most state governments in the United States, neither Spain nor Germany currently hypothecates motoring-related tax revenue to highway construction or maintenance. In both countries these revenues are several multiples of the amount actually spent on the roads.

At the moment Spanish government spending on capital improvement is heavily tilted toward the railways. Take a look at ADIF's tender advertisements: at the moment there is at least one construction contract for a high-speed rail line out to tender. Then look at Fomento's highway construction advertisements. With the exception of the A-66 Benavente-Zamora, which is a concession contract, and three contracts advertised last July (two of which were for obras de terminación for projects which were halted half-finished because of design problems and the economic crisis), it has been an almost uninterrupted drought since early 2009. The situation is almost as bad in the autonomous communities.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:55 PM   #2422
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Unfortunately roads can't be maintained by a per capita GDP but by absolute figures.
Or, on the other side you can say that Spain has almost the same GDP per capita as Germany but has more than twice so much motorways, per capita so that the issue is really serious.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:41 PM   #2423
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Unfortunately roads can't be maintained by a per capita GDP but by absolute figures.
Or, on the other side you can say that Spain has almost the same GDP per capita as Germany but has more than twice so much motorways, per capita so that the issue is really serious.
It's not, because road expenditure is low compared to the general size of their economies.

It also has a fair length of tolled roads, which don't exist in Germany for cars.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM   #2424
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Another issue in Germany is that they need to spend billions on replacing inferior viaducts built in the 1960's and early 1970's. Spain doesn't have this issue. German's Autobahns are also much heavier trafficked, especially considering truck traffic, which means they need to renovate their motorways more often than Spain. The quoted € 25 million for mountain motorways is even a million lower than the average cost of constructing a motorway in all of Germany. And, as Winkler noted, the revenue from motorist taxation exceeds expenditures a couple of times. Motorists bring in enough money for the upkeep and future expansion of the Spanish road network.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM   #2425
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

Likes (Received): 3925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
You're welcome

Yep. Try this link (warning, 9 MB).

For more maps showing existing and projected motorways: http://trenecicos.wordpress.com/2011...ias-de-espana/
Thank very much for those links, Cicerón. I had the map before my computer got screwed but then I searched it for three months but I could not download it from anywhere. Now it seems the author has split the existing/under construction/planned motorways into three maps but that is good too. Thank you again.

PS: The Autovia A-4 looks amazing at Despeñaperros. I hope one day we will see something similar in Bulgaria.
Viva_Bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2426
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 263

I have used the Wiki source here to draw Google Maps of the future Spanish autovías and autopistas. To enable viewing all at once, I split it into 5 parts:

Madrid and Centre
South
Galicia
Northeast
Islands

Total autovias planned and under construction: 6824 km
Total autopistas planned and under construction: 651 km
Total: 7475 km

This will result in around a 22000 km network eventually. That would be the third longest in the world I believe after China and the USA.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2427
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Have a look after Ubeda... because I am not sure if they are on works or just only in project.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2428
solchante

Likes (Received): 1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
I have used the Wiki source here to draw Google Maps of the future Spanish autovías and autopistas. To enable viewing all at once, I split it into 5 parts:

Madrid and Centre
South
Galicia
Northeast
Islands

Total autovias planned and under construction: 6824 km
Total autopistas planned and under construction: 651 km
Total: 7475 km

This will result in around a 22000 km network eventually. That would be the third longest in the world I believe after China and the USA.

impressive!! thanks

solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2429
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In this month, three parts of the motorway between Lerida and Pamplona will be opened (A-22, A-23 and A-21) in the region of Aragon

Tomorrow the first one at Binefar (A-22).
I will try to write about them as far as they get opened.

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #2430
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

11:00

Right now, the Binefar site of the A-22 motorway is open

One part more at A-22. 6,7 km that connects two already open sites

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #2431
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This was the last section between Barbastro and Lleida to be opened? When I drove there in 2005 there was not a single section opened.
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2432
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This was the last section between Barbastro and Lleida to be opened? When I drove there in 2005 there was not a single section opened.
Remembering...

Monzon North- Monzon south 2006
Ponzano- Barbastro east Jan 2009
Almacelles south - Lerida Dec 2009
Sietamo - Lascellas Jul 2010
Lascellas - Ponzano (only 3,8 km part of last strecht not opened in July 2010) Dec 2010
Almacelles - Binefar south Jan 2011
Monzon south - Binefar south Oct 2011

(maybe I got wrong with some dates)

Old October 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #2433
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And... Googhe earth is not updated. This is the real journey from Lerida to Sietamo since today (A-22 and N-240).
Sietamo-Huesca has works still not started

http://maps.google.es/maps?saddr=lle...via=1&t=h&z=13

Official ministry note:

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_.../111009-01.htm

Old October 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #2434
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
No, the Almacelles bypass is missing. It will be opened on the first months of 2012. Then will remain the Siétamo-Huesca section, where works haven't started yet and I believe it will be a bottleneck. And the infamous speed camera located just after a 70 km/h limit sign, that will continue to fine until at least 2015 (Once I saw that camera catching a driver who forgot to brake!).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #2435
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Some pics about A-22 motorway at Binefar:

http://www.hoyenaragon.es/noticia.ph...-y-monzon/2769

They have the page "cut" for a copy-paste of the link... but there you will see four pics.

Old October 11th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #2436
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

El Hierro is the western island at Canary. It has a population of less than 11.000 people and only 28 km corner to corner (and highest point with 1.500 m over sea level!)

In last week some volcano eruptions have appeared on the sea near El Hierro. They are under investigation but there is a plan to evacuate population if needed.

Capital is in the western coast and population is in the western and central area of the island (not to many distances if only 28 km corner to corner).

Anyway... for security, this tunnel has been closed to traffic:
http://maps.google.es/?ll=27.81899,-...h&z=17&vpsrc=6

and makes people from the town of Frontera take 45 minutes more to go to the capital, airport or harbour. Even if short distances, mountains are high.

A great road disruption in a very quite island 2000 km away from central Spain, in the middle of the Atlantic.

Old October 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #2437
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
El Hierro is the western island at Canary. It has a population of less than 11.000 people and only 28 km corner to corner (and highest point with 1.500 m over sea level!)

In last week some volcano eruptions have appeared on the sea near El Hierro. They are under investigation but there is a plan to evacuate population if needed.

Capital is in the western coast and population is in the western and central area of the island (not to many distances if only 28 km corner to corner).

Anyway... for security, this tunnel has been closed to traffic:
http://maps.google.es/?ll=27.81899,-...h&z=17&vpsrc=6

and makes people from the town of Frontera take 45 minutes more to go to the capital, airport or harbour. Even if short distances, mountains are high.

A great road disruption in a very quite island 2000 km away from central Spain, in the middle of the Atlantic.

In the other corner of the island, the town of La Restinga (the southern town of Spain) has started to be evacuated today.

Old October 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #2438
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Even El Hierro has its own prefix: HI-xxx.
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #2439
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

All Canary Islands roads have an own code.

Last year I was at Fuerteventura. FV-XX for all. I do not know why but eastern roads (near the capital and airport) where FV-X and western roads there FV-X0 (FV-10, FV-20, FV-30). Rest of roads where FV-XX (any number).

As a curiosity, there is a point only 97 km away from Morocco, and a natural area that could be considered as part of Sahara Dessert.

They are seven major islands.
El Hierro is the located far away and less population... and the situation could be very new for a lot of people. Tropic latitude is close to there...

Old October 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2440
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Even El Hierro has its own prefix: HI-xxx.
Well, we have tons of prefixes . With the completion of the new E15 around Málaga (The so-called "Hiperronda", literally hyperbypass), there will be both MA-20 and Ma-20 signed, the later one in Palma on Majorca island.

And we have two A-231s, the motorway from León to Burgos which shares designation with a road in Northeastern Teruel province.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida