daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:35 AM   #2561
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

That's my region so I'll try to be comprehensive

Have in mind that only the first phase of the project has been constructed. It is expected that the busiest part of Autovía de la Sagra will be the one that will connect Illescas/A-42 with A-4 near Seseña.

But that's true, there is a high desity of motorways in the nort of Toledo. La Sagra/north of Toledo is the fastest growing region and have a strong relationship between Madrid, the south of Madrid and Toledo.

The main north-south corridors (not only in the region, they are also important nationwide) are A-4, A-42 and A-5 and each one have its own toll alternative, R-4, AP-41 and R-5 respectively that are mainly used to avoid local traffic on long trips (less used for local traffic because they are expensive). I've heard that R-5 is going to be extended to Talavera (Toledo).

They doesn't connect only towns, the main cities (or big towns) per corridor in the region are:

A-4: Madrid, Getafe (Madrid), Pinto (Madrid), Valdemoro (Madrid), Seseña (Toledo), Aranjuez (Madrid) and Ocaña (Toledo).
A-42: Madrid, Getafe (Madrid), Leganés (Madrid), Fuenlabrada (Madrid), Parla (Madrid), Illescas (Toledo) and Toledo.
A-5: Madrid, Alcorcón (Madrid), Móstoles (Madrid), Navalcarnero (Madrid) and Talavera (Toledo).

A-42 also connects Cobo Calleja in Fuenlabrada (with small parts in Parla and maybe Pinto) that is said to be the biggest industrial zone in Europe. I don't know if it's true but it is at least the biggest in Spain.

Lately the central and autonomic govs have seen the need of transversal connections in the area, not only to connect those corridors between them but also to connect some towns at secondary corridors with the main ones.

That's the case of A-40 and Autovía de la Sagra (now CM-41 but will have 2 names because it bifurcates.

A-40 has been in works for years and it seems that it won't be finished soon but will connect A-6, Ávila, A-5, Toledo/A-42, Ocaña/A-4, Tarancón/A-3, Cuenca and Teruel/A-23. Now is completed in the north of Toledo (where with the CM-40 may be used as ring-road for Toledo), and it is almost completed between A-5 and A-42. (You can see the status of the works in Spanish wikipedia http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-40#Tramos )

Autovía de La Sagra is/will be a tansversal connection in the north and east of the province. The built stretch comes from A-5 to Illescas/Yuncos/A-42 and there it will bifurcate, one part to the A-4 near Seseña and another to the south-east to A-40 (currently CM-4001). http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IwNBpsqqm4...lano_color.jpg
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM   #2562
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Let's remember that there are plans to enlarge Madrid commuter trains to that area in northern Toledo with an important railway traffic according to population.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #2563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Do you know which road is U/C near Borox? Is that a spur from the CM-41? Which number does it have?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #2564
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

CM-41 too. Now at some point CM-41 changes its number to CM-43. There the so-called Autovía de la Sagra will split in two.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2565
slickman

Likes (Received): 71

Do the new goverment think about tolling the Autovías, as Portugal did recently?
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM   #2566
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

No, they don't think about tolling the free motorways. But I know they are rebuilding the called "first generation autovías" under other kind of toll, I don't know a translation (It's called peaje en la sombra in Spanish).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #2567
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Shadow tolls. It's a PPP-project where the government pays a concessionaire for each vehicle. A large number of Portuguese and British roads are operated this way (though Portuguese roads are now converted to regular toll roads). It's a way of executing large projects in times where the budget is tight, because the costs are spread out over a long period, often 30 or 40 years.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #2568
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickman View Post
Do the new goverment think about tolling the Autovías, as Portugal did recently?

I do not know if answer "no" or "not yet"

Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:13 PM   #2569
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Did they open A-21 in Navarra yesterday? I can't find anything about it on news.google.es

Also; is there an opening date for S-30 near Santander?
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM   #2570
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2657

No word at all at http://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #2571
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

It seems it has been delayed to January 1st. That's at least what Wikipedia says. About the S-30, it's difficult to make predictions, as there is a new government since yesterday.

On the other hand, it seems that the main part of the refurbishment of the A-1 between Santo Tomé del Puerto (North side of Somosierra tunnels) and Burgos finished yesterday: http://www.elcorreodeburgos.com/noti...meses-de-obras

Some junctions are still not finished, but the main trunk of the A-1 is.

And some good news: The ministry of environment has given green light to the project of the future toll-free A-68 near Logroño. Don't worry, it's not a new free autovía next to a tolled autopista. Two new toll stations will be built here and here, so that 30 km of the current AP-68 will be toll free. That 30 km long stretch will be enlarged to 2x3. A new junction with the road LR-250 (AADT ~20k) will be built near Villamendiana.

I made a map

http://maps.google.es/maps/ms?msid=2...17967,0.363579
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #2572
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Did they open A-21 in Navarra yesterday? I can't find anything about it on news.google.es

Also; is there an opening date for S-30 near Santander?

The last sentence of this news says that "before end of the year".
So then... next week.

http://www.diariodenavarra.es/notici...9802_1010.html

The news talks about one brigde located near the motorway that receives tourism and will be reduced to maximum 15 Ton (instead of 60 Ton). Brigde is more than one century old and while not refurbished will have that limit.
Buses and trucks will not cross it.

Be sure that any news about this motorway will appear, first of all, in that newspaper.

Old December 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2573
CARABAZA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is there significance to the "Torrelavega" and "Solares" being in a smaller font than other destinations?
I will never understand the criteria...

Solares is a tiny town (just 4000 people) but, What about Torrelavega? From my point of view, urban discrimination or just the fact that Torrelavega has too many letters...

Torrelavega is the second largest city of Cantabria and key hub for the motorways net.

...and look at the size here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
They are not province capitals. They are written because these are the places where the A-67 or the S-10 respectively merge with the A-8.

However, El Sardinero is only a district of Santander but it is written with the same font size as province capitals
El Sardinero is not just a simple district... it's a high class one. Urban discrimination, it's clear.
CARABAZA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2574
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

How cities are wrotten in Spanish roads and its criteria, as well as the destination that should appear in a cross would need a new thread.

There is so many to talk about it and I think that there is only one thing sure: Most of SSC forumers do not agree current criteria!!!!

Old December 28th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #2575
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Video of the new C-15 (from 5:00)

I'm surprised, I thought it was a half-assed upgrade of the existing road, but they've bored quite a few tunnels.

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #2576
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

Yes, the first tunnel of the C-15 you see is a bi-tube of 1.6 km long.

Two weeks ago I drove from Vilafranca to Vilanova and speed limits were updated to 100 kph excepting in the 1.6 km tunnel where is 90 kph.
Vignole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2577
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

Here you can see the interchange between C-32 and C-15 U/C on August 9th 2011

Same place on May 17th 2010. This is the image available in Google Earth. Imagery of 2011 will problably be uploaded at the end of 2012. Now is available at www.ortoxpres.cat.

And finally same place in 1956. During 1956-57 the US took aerial pictures of all Spain due to an agreement between both governments.

All this photos are available at www.ortoxpres.cat. As I said before, Google Earth uses this imagery in Catalonia, but for the moment 2011 datum is not uploaded.

Last edited by Vignole; December 29th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Vignole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #2578
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

As you can see, all Garraf mountains have few roads in the middle.

http://maps.google.es/?ll=41.293285,...h&z=11&vpsrc=6

North-south motorway is the current C-15, recently opened.

By the coast, take a view to C-32 tunels, eastern from Sitges.
It could be one of the tolled parts more expensive.... and the toll is only for tunnels. Driving besides Sitges or eastern from tunnels is free... and all the toll is located at tunnels.

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #2579
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Welcome to one of the worst Spanish national roads: The N-232 in Burgos province.

Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2580
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

A little question here regarding spanish road capacity planning.

Do you think it would have been wiser to scrap the dubbling of the Girona-Vic part of the C-25 and insted use that money to build a continuous autovia on the Figueras-Olot-Vic axis?

Now, as I understand it, most of the traffic using the Girona-Vic road in made up of transit traffic from France with destinations in northern and central Spain. Thus making this road supporting very little actual commuter traffic between Girona catchment area and Vic catchment area to facilitate the needs for an autovia.

The thing is, trucks always use the fastest/shortes/cheapest roads. And since the Figueras-Olot-Vic alternative is about 20-25 km shorter than the Figueras-Girona-Vic alternative, isn't history just about to repeat itself once truck drivers find out about this much shorter alternative, thus ending up with traffic jams on the Olot-Vic strech which can not easily be upgraded to motorway.

So the qustion is, am I completely wrong here or is this just one more example of the lack of centralized strategic road capacity planning in Spain?

Last edited by gincan; December 29th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida