daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3461
Shulamithie
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Fortunately maintenance on most toll motorways is obsessive.
They're so obsessed that the government wants to raise the speed limit to 140 km/h in toll motorways. They must help these entreprises, poor creatures, forgotten chums of politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What is about those Arguis fried eggs?
There is a place in Arguis called "Merendero Lafoz" very famous for its fried eggs. I have been there twice, but none of them at fried eggs hours. The last time I had reached following this route: Jaca > Anzánigo > Rasal > Arguis. When I said it people didn't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
There is a bar located on the side of the old C-136 (It became N-330 for a short time before the new alignement, i.e. one of A-23 carriageways, opened), still popular even if the E07 hasn't been there for 20 years now: https://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&ll...,296.32,,0,2.9.
If you turn inside the photo you'll see a signal that marks it as N-330, but I prefer to call it C-136. It's a road for melancholy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
There are some old bars and restaurants besides the roads that remains despite those huge roadside areas. They are pretty nice and food is usually better (and cheaper) than in main areas..
Another recommendation: "Hotel Monrepós", at the Arascués exit in A-23. And "Hotel Fetra" in Yéqueda, at Huesca Norte / Yéqueda exit in A-23.

Quote:
Is it better to travel from Madrid, Zaragoza and Huesca to Torla and Ordesa national park via Fiscal instead of via Biescas?
It's said that it's even shorter. The section Fiscal / Balupor is still narrow and full of curves, but the rest of the road is OK.

Quote:
Has that narrow A-1604 road become virtually a touristic drive only with few cars (N330 - Boltaña)?
I think it was so even before the works started. If you went from Jaca, Sabi, Biescas... you drove through Cotefablo. If you went from Huesca, Zaragoza... you went through Barbastro and Aínsa.

Quote:
I've been driven only once there, in August and found only two or three cars.
It's easier to find cows and toads than to find cars. And I have driven it three times.

Quote:
What about this old, poorly maintained road http://goo.gl/maps/awpWd
Is it allowed to drive it? Please I must know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
What's the viaduct in the background here? Do you have a map of the carriageways and roads on that pass? As I understand from OpenStreetMaps, the two carriageways will follow different paths (one being the existing N-330).
This is the old (and beautiful) bridge over Flumen river. It's a part of C-136.

The dark spot you can see above the tunnel being built is the Tunnel of Manzaneda. That part of C-136 is closed, but you can go from Arguis to the other mouth of that tunnel (which is closed) and there's connection to another road and space to turn the car.
Today the tunnel being built is open and the other one temporarily closed, and where the trucks are now there is a bridge similar to the other one, but ugly.

Quote:
Today, 10 years ago, Somport tunnel was opened in the E-07. It is a 8,1 km tunnel under the Pyrenees. The longest road tunnel in Spain and... is it the longest no-tolled tunnel?
Don't say it too loud... the last thing we need is a toll in Somport. Anyway, I prefer the old road. I hate tunnels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRX_69 View Post
Look at the signals...
Shulamithie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3462
aby_since82

Likes (Received): 4133

What is so funny?
aby_since82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3463
Shulamithie
BANNED

The first signal indicates a racing circuit, and the second one warns of a speed radar.
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3464
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

BRUTAL
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #3465
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Why it's yellow?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #3466
aby_since82

Likes (Received): 4133

ah ok! There is a racetrack near highway, Monteblanco.

aby_since82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3467
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

I saw a similar sign near Jerez de la Frontera, I think on A381.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #3468
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I saw a similar sign near Jerez de la Frontera, I think on A381.
If I'm not wrong that is an official speed circuit.

Among all year competitions, main of them is the motorbike Grand Prix of Spain.

By the way, near Malaga there is another circuit. As far as I know, it is a private club where members pay an annual fee and can use it for their cars with insurance included.
There are some members with speedy cars that and they prefer to keep them there only. No use on public roads.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3469
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many carreteras nacionales are well-suited for 100 km/h, with a straight alignment, wide carriageway and sufficient visibility. Reducing them to 90 or even 80 km/h is plain stupid. However I can understand lowering the speed limit on less well-built roads.
It is stupid indeed. Some parts of Spain, like Galicia, have a huge network of grade-separated two-lane roads that are designed with project speeds of 100 km/h which would also be downgraded to 90. Same for dual-carriageway roads, because when they say "carreteras secundarias" they mean all non-motorway (autovía/autopista) roads. Roads that get 100 km/h signs are designed to cope with these speeds, and in sections that are not suitable for them, there are lower speed limits.

Maybe they think all of Spain is like Madrid where there's no point 5 km farther from a freeway. In some parts of the country you must drive 100+ km on carreteras convencionales to get to your destination. Lowering the speed limit would just be nonsense, as many would disobey it and overtaking maneouvres would increase, thus boosting the risk of head-on collisions.
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3470
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
By the way, near Malaga there is another circuit. As far as I know, it is a private club where members pay an annual fee and can use it for their cars with insurance included.
There are some members with speedy cars that and they prefer to keep them there only. No use on public roads.
Near Malaga I only recall stupid "Costa del Golf" signs...
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #3471
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
As far as I know, in Marbella municipality there are 18.

And be sure it is not the place of Spain with more water...

Old January 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3472
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

One thing that stuck me when I was there was how ugly Costa del Golf/Sol is compared to wild and beautiful Costa de la Luz. Two completely different worlds separated by few km.
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3473
KRX_69
Amaro

Likes (Received): 4380

Quote:
Is this signs?

Old January 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3474
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Mijas? I have to counter-attack : http://goo.gl/maps/oyhtv.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3475
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I think they need to create a separate road category for 1+1 expressways, with 100 or 110 speed limit, but not overtaking whatsoever. They can even put plastic boards on the central dividing line.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3476
Shulamithie
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Why it's yellow?
In Spain, yellow signs indicate that the road has works on it.
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3477
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRX_69 View Post
Is this signs?
Yes, but if I'm not mistaken there are also some signs with a stylized golfer, or something like that.
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3478
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
I think they need to create a separate road category for 1+1 expressways, with 100 or 110 speed limit, but not overtaking whatsoever. They can even put plastic boards on the central dividing line.
There was one indeed. It was called "Vía rápida", but it was scrapped in 2001. Some "vía rápida" signs could be seen in C-25 as late as in 2009, before its conversion to full autovía standards. They were green, like all other directional signage. There may still be some left in former Galician vías rápidas, and some border speed limit signs may still display this category.

At some point someone decided that the term promoted speeding (rápida = fast), so it was somehow replaced by vía para automóviles. But vía para automóviles does not necessarily imply grade-separation, just restrictions to motor traffic. AFAIK, there are almost no vías para automóviles in Spain. Existing vías rápidas kept its green signs and new grade-separated single-carriageway roads were built as carreteras convencionales, with white signage and 100 km/h speed limit (or 90 in case of not having >1.5m shoulders and/or more than 1 lane in some of the directions).

Lowering the speed limit of this high-capacity roads will be a slap in the face of all planners and engineers that envisioned them. Looks like, in this country, there's no intermediate point between full-scale autovías and ordinary roads.
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3479
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
It is stupid indeed. Some parts of Spain, like Galicia, have a huge network of grade-separated two-lane roads that are designed with project speeds of 100 km/h which would also be downgraded to 90. Same for dual-carriageway roads, because when they say "carreteras secundarias" they mean all non-motorway (autovía/autopista) roads. Roads that get 100 km/h signs are designed to cope with these speeds, and in sections that are not suitable for them, there are lower speed limits.

Maybe they think all of Spain is like Madrid where there's no point 5 km farther from a freeway. In some parts of the country you must drive 100+ km on carreteras convencionales to get to your destination. Lowering the speed limit would just be nonsense, as many would disobey it and overtaking maneouvres would increase, thus boosting the risk of head-on collisions.
Quote:
One question I have since I have the license… What is the use for this signal ? (Vias para automoviles)

I never seen a road signed with that, only access to Autovia.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #3480
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I think it is obsolete

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida