daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #4201
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The U.S. state of Montana has a very low population density, but a fatality rate of 225 per million inhabitants. That is 9 times as high as Spain. Similarly, the low population density of Northern Territory in Australia has a high fatality rate of 160 per million inhabitants. Both of these are significantly less safe than their respective national average.
Well these are way too different from Spain. There's no point in making a comparison between them.

Weather conditions in Montana are way rougher than in most of Spain, and Australian Northern Territory has almost no or no freeways at all.

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #4202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I know, but someone suggested the low population density in much of Spain contributes to better traffic safety rates, while it is usually the opposite.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

solchante liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #4203
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Spain definitely built too much infrastructure in some areas. However, they are not all comparable. 5.000 vehicles per day on an autovía is not much, but not a major problem if the construction cost was only € 5 million/km.
Replacing N-232 with a motorway would be a very expensive motorway projects in Spain. You would have to build several large bridges and tunnels. The existing road has 2 large mountain passes (800+ meters in height difference) with 10% gradient on both climbs. I can't see the huge cost being justified when there are perfect alternatives.

If it was a strategically important road like A-23 or C-25 it would be a justified investment, but it isn't and will never be.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #4204
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Current project talks about:

- Second lane from El Burgo de Ebro to Fuentes. By passes recently opened in those villages were designed for second lane. Motorway project was approved considering those structures prior to opening indeed!.

- 2x2 from Fuentes de Ebro to Valdealgorfa (cross between N-420 and N-232). There are three villages with throughroads that will not have by-pass because of the A-68 project (saving projects therefore).

- Complete refurbishment from Valdealgorfa to Vinaroz. Just 1x1 at first.
This road is finished EXCEPT here (https://maps.google.es/?ll=40.78639,...84543&t=h&z=14), drop down on 2010 (just six months keeping on and would be finished but works hasn't been started again) and here (https://maps.google.es/?ll=40.552418...69086&t=h&z=13) the hardest point because the mountain pass.

Should the traffic increases, a 2x2 is considered but no project is over any desk about it. Anyway, A-7 will go through La Jana, as far as I know.

By the way... A-23 hasn't any tunnel and I do not expect that project would require any one.

If I'm not wrong, this is longest tunnel over all Iberian mountains (incluiding from northern Castille to Valencian community)... or at least as a national road

https://maps.google.es/?ll=40.779677...cbp=12,90,,0,0

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #4205
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 1038

Hasn't the N420 from Tarragona to Valdealgorfa and the N211 from Alcañiz to Lleida bigger AADT than the N232 from Valdealgorfa to Vinaroz? Shouldn't the N420 and/or N211 get priority instead?
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #4206
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Today be sure because you can drive 100 on N-420 and cannot on N-232 in some stretches.

Ministry took the decission to continue it... in the future through Vinaroz (La Jana) but only "an idea". Project talks only about the motorway until junction N-232/N-420

Old January 6th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #4207
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2095

Driving on highways reduces fatalities the most, since Espain has such a huge network, that plays a big part
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #4208
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

One of the highest reductions in fatalities on Spanish roads happened during the early 90's when most of the first generation of autovías were opened. For sure, having a large (or at least which covers a big proportion of the traffic) network of grade-separated roads is an important factor for reducing accidents.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #4209
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Perhaps now we drive less than before, less as we did in the 90's or 00's. Now we have better public transport, urban or AVE or plane.

And no mention about the improvements on safety in cars, most of the cars have more than 6 years.

Anyway now the traffic law is more harder than before, and we can see more "some green men with blue lights" on our roads
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #4210
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Injury/deadth rates are often measured per km-passenger.
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #4211
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Current project talks about:

- Second lane from El Burgo de Ebro to Fuentes. By passes recently opened in those villages were designed for second lane. Motorway project was approved considering those structures prior to opening indeed!.

- 2x2 from Fuentes de Ebro to Valdealgorfa (cross between N-420 and N-232). There are three villages with throughroads that will not have by-pass because of the A-68 project (saving projects therefore).

- Complete refurbishment from Valdealgorfa to Vinaroz. Just 1x1 at first.
This road is finished EXCEPT here (https://maps.google.es/?ll=40.78639,...84543&t=h&z=14), drop down on 2010 (just six months keeping on and would be finished but works hasn't been started again) and here (https://maps.google.es/?ll=40.552418...69086&t=h&z=13) the hardest point because the mountain pass.

Should the traffic increases, a 2x2 is considered but no project is over any desk about it. Anyway, A-7 will go through La Jana, as far as I know.

By the way... A-23 hasn't any tunnel and I do not expect that project would require any one.

If I'm not wrong, this is longest tunnel over all Iberian mountains (incluiding from northern Castille to Valencian community)... or at least as a national road

https://maps.google.es/?ll=40.779677...cbp=12,90,,0,0
You seem to talk about N-232 in every post. Regions relying on this corridor are not definitely the richest of Spain, but there are worse situations in the country. A huge part of this road is bypassed by AP-68, which is tolled, but at least you have a fast, safe alternative to N-232. Where there's no motorway at all, there's also no need to waste money in one, be it for the treacherous terrain, the lack of traffic and/or population density, or both.

I'd like to see a 1+1 expressway reaching Vinarós, but I understand it would be prohibitely expensive and the country has more urgent needs, such as fixing its economy.

RV liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #4212
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

From Vinaroz to Pina de Ebro there is no tolled alternative

Old January 7th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #4213
solchante

Likes (Received): 1457

Quote:
http://www.publico.es/492807/mueren-...de-la-historia

Spain recorded 1128 traffic fatalities in 2013, the lowest ever. This would translate to a fatality rate of 24 per 1 million, which will likely make Spain the safest country in the world to drive in.

a graphic of traffic fatalities since 1960:

source

g.spinoza liked this post
solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #4214
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

I cannot see those figures going down this or next year. In Ireland increased economic activity ( in both north and south) has led to a rise in fatalities in 2013.

Half of all driver fatalities are aged under 35 in the south.

In both cases the lowest year for road fatalities was 2012 with 2011 second lowest and 2013 was a tad higher than 2011.

The key determinant is whether younger males who cannot afford a car ( or motorbike) now owing to high unemployment will be able to afford one in future.

I think youth unemployment in Spain has now peaked ( at an alarmingly high level of around 60%, I know) and that it will start to drop in H2 2014 and thereafter into 2015 and with that the accident stats will disimprove again.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #4215
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
A-23 does have tunnels. Two already built, another one U/C, one more planned, one under renovations and the last one to be renovated, as well as a couple false tunnels (One U/C, the other planned).

... though none of them South of Zaragoza .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #4216
verreme

Quote:
From Vinaroz to Pina de Ebro there is no tolled alternative
Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
You seem to talk about N-232 in every post. Regions relying on this corridor are not definitely the richest of Spain, but there are worse situations in the country. A huge part of this road is bypassed by AP-68, which is tolled, but at least you have a fast, safe alternative to N-232. Where there's no motorway at all, there's also no need to waste money in one, be it for the treacherous terrain, the lack of traffic and/or population density, or both.

I'd like to see a 1+1 expressway reaching Vinarós, but I understand it would be prohibitely expensive and the country has more urgent needs, such as fixing its economy.
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #4217
RV

Likes (Received): 275

I think fatalities have fallen because of change in driving culture - back in 2000 Spain was like freaking India, now it is really decent and safe generally to drive on Spanish roads.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #4218
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Most of the reduction in fatalities is down to better roads, driver behaviour and better cars

However an increase to nearer 2000 fatalities is inevitable if.

1. Tourism increases AND
2. Youth employment decreases thereby enabling high risk demographics to get on the road again.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #4219
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
I think fatalities have fallen because of change in driving culture - back in 2000 Spain was like freaking India, now it is really decent and safe generally to drive on Spanish roads.
How did Spain achieve this? Enforcement? I don't remember seeing any police patrol or devices during my 4 thousand km trip in Spain two years ago.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #4220
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

First of all, improving motorways. In the 1990s there were no motorways at all and first of them built were quite bad. They were called "first generation motorways" and recently refurbished.

Building new motorways and improving other roads made too much.

But in 2006 the point driving licence made a lot of effort too!. It is known that average speed on motorways decreased 7 km/h in a couple of months after that point system.

Obviously, safer cars helps to decrease fatalities cases.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida