daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #4301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

I don't think the elimination of a loop ramp in an interchange will boost traffic volumes significantly though.

It is well known that tolls are a huge deterrent to traffic using a toll road if there is a good untolled alternative, as there is in this case. The N-II between Zaragoza and Lleida is another case in point.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #4302
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

The N-II between Zaragoza and Lleida is kind of horrible, not because the road itself, but becase the absurd amount of trucks which are avoiding the tolled motorway AP-2. In Spain it is not usual to force trucks to run on tolled routes as in France.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #4303
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

They do it on N-II in Girona, and they are also planning a truck ban in N-340 across Tarragona province.
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #4304
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
They do it on N-II in Girona, and they are also planning a truck ban in N-340 across Tarragona province.
Yes. Probably they are the first stretches which apply that rule in Spain.
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #4305
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 20212

MALLORCA

Proposed route of the splitting of the Ma-19 variant from Llucmajor to Campos

geometarkv liked this post
el palmesano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #4306
verreme

Some news on roads in the Mediterranean coast:

The northern part of A-7 around Valencia metro will be expanded along 22,5 kilometers by expanding or adding collector lanes. A-7/V-30 interchange will be spectacular at 10 lanes plus on/off-ramps. I quote from the Spanish subforum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serx View Post
En la web de Ginprosa, la consultora que según la noticia ha desarrollado el proyecto, se pueden ver dos fotos de cómo quedarán dos enlaces.

CV-35, con la ciudad deportiva:

Y el "pifostio" que van a liar en el enlace con la V-30:

Another road to be widened in the area will be V-21 in the stretch closest to downtown Valencia. Widening to 3+3 lanes from there to A-7 interchange was finished last year.

Also, AP-7 between Valencia and Alicante is closer to become toll-free when the current concession expires. For those who understand Spanish, the article includes a (surprisingly) historically accurate explanation of why this was one of the first motorways of Spain.

Other recent news story is the announcement of HOV lanes along C-58 in Barcelona metro becoming two-way (with a central divider, I presume) and being open 24/7, though still restricted to HOV vehicles and motorcycles. Currently they are open southbound in the morning, northbound in the evening and closed at night. I guess this will knock down operation costs, as the roadway will not have to be opened and closed periodically.

Other relevant road projects in Catalonia are the extension of C-32 to Lloret de Mar and Bescanó bypass of N-141. These roads carry very heavy traffic through several towns and see substancial congestion, especially B-682/GI-682 in summer months. Works on C-32 East of Tordera will begin in 2015, with the opening forecasted for 2016, whilst Bescanó bypass is still in an early planning stage.

Though all but one news stories talk about roads being planned and no actual construction is taking place, it looks that after some years where construction and planning came to a complete stop things finally start moving again.

Peines, geometarkv, Suburbanist liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:32 PM   #4307
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Ministry goes on the upgrade of N-II between Pina de Ebro and Alfajarin. Just to double what there is currently.

65,5 km

Press release

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_.../140320-06.htm

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:44 PM   #4308
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Will a toll-free AP-7 make A-7 (ALicante- Canals) even less trafficked?
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:18 PM   #4309
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Will a toll-free AP-7 make A-7 (ALicante- Canals) even less trafficked?
I don't think so. A-7 is meant to connect Alcoy and Ibi (which are two medium-sized towns with quite a bit of industrial activity) with the rest of the world. Most traffic seeking a toll-free route between Valencia and Alicante choose A-31/A-35, which is full-motorway except for a short stretch in La Font de la Figuera (U/C for quite a while now, no realistic completion date) that is a high-standard 2-lane road. A-7 is twistier and has long 80 km/h stretches, whilst A-35 is straight and wide and allows 120 km/h for most of the time (and people "allow" themselves some km/h more ). A-31 bypasses most of Alicante, which is good for traffic going further South, whilst A-7 (which becomes A-77) has a rubbish interchange with A-70.

Plus, AP-7 is often congested in summer, and that will be worse when it becomes toll-free. It is also longer.

Suburbanist liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #4310
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

New roads will open tomorrow (29/3/2014) in Andalucía;

* A-7 El Puntalón - Carchuna
* GR-16 Port of Motril - El Puntalón (A-7)
* MA-23 access to Málaga Airport

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, arnau_Vic liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #4311
verreme

5-kilometer long Vilanova de la Barca bypass opened to traffic today in Lleida province. It's part of the future Lleida-Balaguer motorway (C-13).

(see press release for picture, it's too big to fit in the forum).

Cost was 49M€.
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:04 AM   #4312
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

What is the reason for haveing couple types of motorways in Spain ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 04:18 AM   #4313
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
What is the reason for haveing couple types of motorways in Spain ?
You mean autovía and autopista?

Mostly because historical reasons: autovías appear somehow as equivalent to the French voies express or 2x2, or like the Italian superstrade in the beginning, when it was necessary to improve the road network but in a cheaper way. So, as there wasn't enough money for building new full motorways (autopistas), finally a cheaper option was developed based on doubling conventional roads. Here you have the first generation of autovías, which didn't fit all the motorway standards. At that time, as well, autovías were always toll free roads -as they replaced the old national roads-, while autopistas could be tolled or toll-free roads.

However, today, technically this difference has disappear, and the design of autovías and autopistas fits the same design standards. That's true that in some particular cases, some autovías have lower standards, but it is just because they belong to older generations of autovías or because in somehow the current definition of autovía is more "flexible". That's why in some particular cases you can find autovías with narrower shoulders or some interchanges designed as roundabouts, which is really strange on motorways. But in general, there shouldn't be differences between autovías and autopistas and they could be considered as equivalent. Anyway, interchanges as roundabouts or narrower shoulder founded in some autovías, is a thing you can find as well in old motorways in Germany, France, Italy or United Kingdom.

Attus, Peines, arnau_Vic, devo, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Reivajar; April 21st, 2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:23 PM   #4314
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2208

And to confuse everyone A roads are Autovias and AP roads are Autopistas.

However the 11 Spanish States/Regions have also built state roads to full motorway standards ...often long roads...and they are generally as good as AP roads but are designated neither as A-nn nor AP-nn roads.

I would think Spain has around 1000km of not A and not AP designated motorways, there are C-xx in Catalonia and RM-xx in Murcia etc. Andalucia has 'stolen' A numbers rather than invent its own numbering system so an A-Road Motorway in Andalucia may not be a real A road even though it is a Motorway.

Even MORE confusingly some sections of National Road ( N roads) that predated the A and AP networks have been reconstructed to full motorway standard and kept their N road status despite now being motorways.

Overall Spain has one of the best motorway networks in the world, whatever the bloody road is actually called, and the backbone network will be completed in 2015 when some small missing links are finally finished.

HTH
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM   #4315
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

The problem with Spain is that they mix up jurisdiction with typology.

What I miss in Spain is the "via rapida" concept, which they removed. It was useful to designate high-quality 1+1 roads.

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:53 PM   #4316
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
And to confuse everyone A roads are Autovias and AP roads are Autopistas.

However the 11 Spanish States/Regions have also built state roads to full motorway standards ...often long roads...and they are generally as good as AP roads but are designated neither as A-nn nor AP-nn roads.

I would think Spain has around 1000km of not A and not AP designated motorways, there are C-xx in Catalonia and RM-xx in Murcia etc. Andalucia has 'stolen' A numbers rather than invent its own numbering system so an A-Road Motorway in Andalucia may not be a real A road even though it is a Motorway.

Even MORE confusingly some sections of National Road ( N roads) that predated the A and AP networks have been reconstructed to full motorway standard and kept their N road status despite now being motorways.

Overall Spain has one of the best motorway networks in the world, whatever the bloody road is actually called, and the backbone network will be completed in 2015 when some small missing links are finally finished.

HTH
Well, the numbering system for the State roads is pretty simple after the last change:

AP=Autopista de Peaje (Toll motorway)
A= Autopista o Autovía gratuita (Toll-free motorway/Freeway)
R=Radial de peaje (Toll radial motorway, for tolled motorways doubling older access around Madrid).
N=Nacional (National road)

Out of that, urban roads (rings and access to cities) are identified with the city code (M for Madrid, B for Barcelona, V for Valencia, SE for Seville, Z for Zaragoza, and so on). Numbers finished in "0" refers to ring roads, if not, it should be another access or urban road. If the rectangle is blue it has motorway characteristics, if red, it is a conventional road (which can be a dual carriageway though).

So, currently the state network has a pretty simple system.

The chaos arrives when you consider the regional networks. Every autonomy has implemented a different road numbering system. That's why and A-road can be from a toll free motorway to a regular county road in Andalusia or Álava in the Basque Country. A C-road can be a county road anywhere around Spain if keeping the old numbering system (some regions have mostly kept it in some cases) or almost any kind of road in Catalonia.

Where A roads (autovías) have predated national roads, usually you get some sort of coherence in the numbering system, as if you are driving on a motorway, you have an A road, and not a N road.

MichiH liked this post
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:57 PM   #4317
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The problem with Spain is that they mix up jurisdiction with typology.

What I miss in Spain is the "via rapida" concept, which they removed. It was useful to designate high-quality 1+1 roads.

Yes, kind of... for public administrators in Spain is important to make clear who is the "Lord" of a particular road... silly...

Vía Rápida is only kept in the Galicia regional network...

In the rest of cases, it was replaced by the really unusual "Vía para automóviles":

Which is supposed to be closer to European standards...

That's true that the numbering system used by the state network is centralized in Madrid and on the national radial roads, and it has been pretty criticized for being useful and appropriate enough in regions far from Madrid for their regional traffic. But that's true that the amount of different codes used by roads has no sense.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:21 AM   #4318
Escargot
¡De Bescós, rediós!

In Spain there is one system for each community. And this is the real problem. Reivajar has explained the differences between "autopistas" and "autovías". Please, correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm quite sure that the 1st generation highway system goes from A-1 to A-9.

As the Aragonese case hasn't been explained yet, I'll do it. National roads and highways don't change their names. Examples: N-330 (red), A-23 (blue).
The roads that depend on the Aragonese Government are classified in this way:
- Autonomic highway (blue, tolled, but the toll is paid by the government according to their numbers and not by users): ARA-A... There is olny one working: ARA-A-1.
- Main autonomic roads (orange): "A" and three digits: A-132.
- Second category (green): "A" and four digits (the first one is "1"): A-1604.
- Third category or local roads (yellow): "A" and four digits (the first one is "2"): A-2605, or any other one: CV-861 (C stands for "camino vecinal"), "HU/Z/TE" and numbers: HU-202, or even a mixture: HU-V-3003. I've even seen on a map a road whose name started by "BF". I don't know what the hell it is.
Escargot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:41 AM   #4319
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escargot View Post
In Spain there is one system for each community. And this is the real problem. Reivajar has explained the differences between "autopistas" and "autovías". Please, correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm quite sure that the 1st generation highway system goes from A-1 to A-9.

As the Aragonese case hasn't been explained yet, I'll do it. National roads and highways don't change their names. Examples: N-330 (red), A-23 (blue).
The roads that depend on the Aragonese Government are classified in this way:
- Autonomic highway (blue, tolled, but the toll is paid by the government according to their numbers and not by users): ARA-A... There is olny one working: ARA-A-1.
- Main autonomic roads (orange): "A" and three digits: A-132.
- Second category (green): "A" and four digits (the first one is "1"): A-1604.
- Third category or local roads (yellow): "A" and four digits (the first one is "2"): A-2605, or any other one: CV-861 (C stands for "camino vecinal"), "HU/Z/TE" and numbers: HU-202, or even a mixture: HU-V-3003. I've even seen on a map a road whose name started by "BF". I don't know what the hell it is.
Well, I am not sure about the numbering system planned for the first national plans of motorways from the 60's and 70's.

I think this is the first national plan of motorways, in 1964. All of them were planned to be tolled motorways. It was not a complete network, but it was focus on main axis.

Then, you have the plan of 1972

Based on the numbering system adopted by the stretches of those motorways finally inaugurated, the system was based in the traditional centered plan Peña: 6 radials from Madrid (A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4, A-5 and A-6), A-7 for the Mediterranean Corridor, A-8 for the Northern coast corridor and A-9 for the Gallician Atlantic coast corridor; and the rest of motorways were numbered based on the Peña plan criteria:

That's why the motorways inaugurated in the 70's around Barcelona got A-1x codes as they belonged to the sector number 1, or the motorway between León and Asturias got the A-66 matching the 6th sector.

Peines, Suburbanist liked this post
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #4320
Reivajar

B-21 Second access to Barcelona Port

The construction of the new expressway B-21 will start in September 2014. It will be the second access to Barcelona Port, serving the new Southern area of the harbour. It will costs around 200 millions of euros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical characteristics
It is a really complex project due to its highly urbanized surroundings. It can be divided in three sections considering their characteristics:

Section 1: increase of the capacity of Ronda Litoral (A-2) by adding a new line in every sense of circulation, from the overpass at 0+100 of the expressway A-2 to the new L'Hospitalet interchange.

Section 2: a new expressway dual carriageway of 2 lanes in every sense of circulation, built over filled ground and retaining walls, from the L'Hospitalet interchange to the C-31 expressway interchange.

Section 3: from the C-31 expressway interchange a major viaduct if projected to fit the dual carriageway over the Barcelona free port area on the left side of Llobregat river. After the Mercabarna bridge, the expressway will run over an enmankment built in the old riverbed, nowadays dry, until the new entrance to the port.

BOE-Official Gazette of the Spanish Government
El Periódico l Barcelona | in Spanish
324 noticias l in Catalan

Last edited by Reivajar; April 24th, 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida