daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #421
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i like those interesting things about languages! my friend from Bcn was so laughing when she visited me and saw our city named Pola (ok, i know it should be polla, but anyway, it was funny for her, and for me later )

btw, a lot of roman and german languages use curva, curve, kurwe..., and in slavic languages it means *****
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #422
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, but the Croatian name (which usually appears on maps), is Pula. Take a guess what that means in Romanian... and unlike Spanish, it's a perfect match!

There was this sports' commentator who went to some tennis tournament there. And everybody here was wondering what would he say when he had to tell us where he was transmitting from.

He said: "I am transmitting from a place so well known already that I won't even bother saying it's name." Maybe he shouldn't have wasted the chance to say the word on national television without the risk of being censored.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #423
Mattboy
Membre illenc

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
A present. I hope you like it.

Note: maybe there are some mistakes. Any correction or advice will be always welcome.

Thank you! Good job, it's the best spanish road map I've seen.
Mattboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #424
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Yes, but the Croatian name (which usually appears on maps), is Pula. Take a guess what that means in Romanian... and unlike Spanish, it's a perfect match!

There was this sports' commentator who went to some tennis tournament there. And everybody here was wondering what would he say when he had to tell us where he was transmitting from.

He said: "I am transmitting from a place so well known already that I won't even bother saying it's name." Maybe he shouldn't have wasted the chance to say the word on national television without the risk of being censored.
If it means the same as Portuguese...
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #425
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
yeah, i know it's a perfect match in romanian there was a text in newspaper about it

and Pula is in bilingual area where italian is also official, so at the table it is written both - Pula and Pola
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #426
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

A bit like ******* in Austria! It means Foko's people.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #427
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
A present. I hope you like it.

Note: maybe there are some mistakes. Any correction or advice will be always welcome.

Wow! Awesome work! I think it's the best map of the Spanish network I have seen so far. Very nice and accurate. Congratulations!

Some comments (I wouldn't dare to call it mistakes) about the areas I know the most:

Asturias:
- Autovía del Sella between Ribadesella and Cangas de Onís has been ruled out due to environmental problems. The connection with Cangas de Onís will be done with a tunnel to Colunga (A8) or upgrading into motorway the Carretera Nacional to Oviedo, but it's not decided at all.
- There is planned motorway between Soto del Barco and Cornellana to connect A63 and A8. I think they are doing the viability studies right now.
- There is a planned motorway between La Espina (A63) and Toreno (CL631). They are doing the informative studies (Estudio Informativo) between La Espina and Cangas del Narcea, but it's not sure to be 100% motorway in the other stretches due to environmental problems.
- Some confussions with the name of the entries to Oviedo, that adcava already told you in the Spanish forum.

Cantabria
- It's everything perfect. Only one detail without importance. Autovía Dos Mares was expected to start at the North of Reinosa, but there isn't anything sure yet.

Thank you. I hope you could keep it as much updated as you can.

Last edited by Stifler; November 5th, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
Stifler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #428
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
Wow! Awesome work! I think it's the best map of the Spanish network I have seen so far. Very nice and accurate. Congratulations!

Some comments (I wouldn't dare to call it mistakes) about the areas I know the most:

Asturias:
- Autovía del Sella between Ribadesella and Cangas de Onís has been ruled out due to environmental problems. The connection with Cangas de Onís will be done with a tunnel to Colunga (A8) or upgrading into motorway the Carretera Nacional to Oviedo, but it's not decided at all.
- There is planned motorway between Soto del Barco and Cornellana to connect A63 and A8. I think they are doing the viability studies right now.
- There is a planned motorway between La Espina (A63) and Toreno (CL631). They are doing the informative studies (Estudio Informativo) between La Espina and Cangas del Narcea, but it's not sure to be 100% motorway in the other stretches due to environmental problems.
- Some confussions with the name of the entries to Oviedo, that adcava already told you in the Spanish forum.

Cantabria
- It's everything perfect. Only one detail without importance. Autovía Dos Mares was expected to start at the North of Reinosa, but there isn't anything sure yet.

Thank you. I hope you could keep it as much updated as you can.
Ok, I take notes. Thanks a lot.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #429
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Plan for the next 4 years in the Madrid province.

Blue = Expanding of existing one-lane roads to two lanes per direction.
Red = New roads

I'm not sure if they're all gonna be Autovías or Autopistas, but it looks promising.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:49 AM   #430
DaDvD

Likes (Received): 2

#7 M-203 will become a tolled highway. Actually, it is about to open and I think it will be renamed as MP-203.
#1 M-50 (renamed M-61) Madrid's government will undertake the A-6 to M-607 stretch (including 2 tunnels beneath El Pardo (a huge forest)), while the Spanish government should undertake the M-607 to A-1 stretch, at least that's what supposed.
M-65 (or R-6) is at planning stage.
The rest of the lot will be upgraded one-lane roads with some roundabout crossings.
DaDvD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:18 AM   #431
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Spain has some great motorways. This was something that caught my attention when I was there in 2004. Hopefully I can be back in 2008.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #432
Stifler
That's what she said

Some pics of the oldest and newest motorway in Asturias taken by adcava

A66/A8 (Y motorway)
Known as 'Y' by the locals due to its shape linking the three major Asturian cities, it's a concrete motorway built more than 30 years ago.

It has become extremely busy in the last years and urges important improvements, but we all now how hard is to do so in concrete motorways.

A map

Junction between the A66 and A8

Traffic jam in the morning

Near Oviedo

And this is how the concrete looks.

Last edited by Stifler; November 26th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
Stifler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #433
Stifler
That's what she said

AS2

Due to that congestion problems, the Autonomous Government decided to upgrade the old road between Oviedo and Gijón to follow motorway standards. It was opened in 2007 and it's planned to happen the same with the old road between Oviedo and Avilés.

Again, all pics taken by adcava

Old November 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #434
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

aah, it looks awesome.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #435
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

My 7th sense and those tire tracks tell me its a dangerous segment...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #436
Enzo911
Por Astérix

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i like those interesting things about languages! my friend from Bcn was so laughing when she visited me and saw our city named Pola (ok, i know it should be polla, but anyway, it was funny for her, and for me later )

btw, a lot of roman and german languages use curva, curve, kurwe..., and in slavic languages it means *****

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Pola
Enzo911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #437
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1808

Those spanish motorways are really good!
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #438
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Some pics i took 3 years ago of the B-20 in Barcelona, the Ronda de Dalt, a bypass through the northern outskirts of the city.

1. Complicated interchange, with an even more complicated sign. 8 different road numbers are shown on this single sign.

2. Exit 3 of the B-23 to the right.

3. Interchange A2 - B-20 - B-23. C-33 and AP-7 are further away.

4. Nice view of the city and Mount Tibidabo if i recall correctly.

5. Barcelona exits have green signs. I like this color on motorways. Officially a suburb exit (L'Hospitalet de Llobregat).

6. Exit Avenida Electricitat

7. Again the exit Avinguda (correct Catalan?) Electricitat.

8. Exit Esplugues, with the Carretera Collblanc.

9. Nice overhead sign. Same exit Esplugues, Avinguda Diagonal is one of the most important exits on the B-20, that is the next exit.

10. Exits are fast after eachother. This is the Diagonal, which cuts diagonal through the city of Barcelona.

11. Exit Pedralbes, a less important one.

12. Exit Sarría. Also an exit to the C-19 Autopista, because the C-19 doesn't directly intersect with B-20, because the B-20 runs through a tunnel.

13. Exit Sant Gervasi. Also exit to Mount Tibidabo.

14. Exit Vallcarca, a more important exit. One can easily drive to the Passeig de Garcia here.

15. Exit Horta, also to the tunnel of Rovira, which is in central Barcelona, not very far from the Sagrada Familia.

16. Again exit Horta. Mataró and Manresa are respectivly Northeastern and Northern suburbs. Girona is the only direction out of the agglomeration shown.

17. A Maserati on the Ronda de Dalt.

18. Exit Guineueta, to the Passeig de Valldaura. We are leaving Barcelona city proper.

19. Exit Trinitat. Avinguda Meridiana is an important artery in northeastern Barcelona, it leads directly to the large Catalunya roundabout.

20. Interchange B-20 to Badalona/Mataró, B-10 Ronda Litoral, C-58 to Manresa and A-7 to Girona (via C-33 motorway).

21. We keep left heading for France. Through lanes heading for the beach resorts to the northeast of Barcelona.

hope you'll enjoyed this exotic trip! Pics taken summer 2005.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #439
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

If I remember correct the Autovias used to have a bidirectional lane that changed headway during rush hour and at places there were level crossings, are there still any of that left?
Kinda dangerous for a foreigner coming to spain and driving along what he thinks is a motorway just to find out there are cars driving against his direction in the passing lane.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #440
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
If I remember correct the Autovias used to have a bidirectional lane that changed headway during rush hour and at places there were level crossings, are there still any of that left?
Kinda dangerous for a foreigner coming to spain and driving along what he thinks is a motorway just to find out there are cars driving against his direction in the passing lane.
Avinguda Diagonal has that system, 3 middle lanes can be changable, there are ˇand x at portals above. but they only change it at weekend and everybody allready knows it (i asked my freinds from BCN about it and i said that it seems to be dangerous, but they told me that really few accidents happens because of it.

btw, Chris, my freind lives in Esplugues de Llobregat, i often come there and when i'm there, i use those exits 11 and 12 (Diagonal and Esplugues), i'm very familiar with them!! i have somewhere a lot of pics from Bcn bypasses, i'll put them once

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida