daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #441
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
If I remember correct the Autovias used to have a bidirectional lane that changed headway during rush hour and at places there were level crossings, are there still any of that left?
Kinda dangerous for a foreigner coming to spain and driving along what he thinks is a motorway just to find out there are cars driving against his direction in the passing lane.
On autovias?? No it's not like that nor has it ever been like that.
Maybe on some urban avenues/expressways like x-type refered, but definitely not common.

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #442
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Thank you for the pics Chris. Green signs still looks so weird to me in Spain. They are pretty cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
If I remember correct the Autovias used to have a bidirectional lane that changed headway during rush hour and at places there were level crossings, are there still any of that left?
Kinda dangerous for a foreigner coming to spain and driving along what he thinks is a motorway just to find out there are cars driving against his direction in the passing lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
On autovias?? No it's not like that nor has it ever been like that.
Maybe on some urban avenues/expressways like x-type refered, but definitely not common.
The only bidirectional lane I know in autovias is the one located in the 20 first kilometers of A6 between Madrid-Moncloa and Las Rozas. In the morning it allows the entry of workers to the capital and in the afternoon it changes the headway. It's not common at all in autovías.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #443
Booze

Likes (Received): 43

That one on the Diagonal it's a urban road mainly, and there are many many signs along the way.

In some periods like holidays endings (return operation) or holidays starts (operación salid) the they exceptionally use a lane from the other sense to ease the traffic. They call it "additional lanes". This only happens in the Iberian peninsula. We don't have that peak periods on the islands, but a sustained higher traffic all summer long
Booze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #444
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

This is the Diagonal Avenue in Barcelona. You can see the signs which allow you to use a lane or not.

image hosted on
flickr

This is the A-6 near Madrid. The two lanes are called "carril bus/VAO" (literally: lane for busses/highly occupied vehicles"). You cannot use it unless you carry more than two people in your car (or you are a bus driver, policeman, etc).

And this is the "carril adicional" (additional lane) Booze says. It's rarely used, only on July/August 1st/15th/31st near bigger cities, when the people go on holidays or return home. Obviously it is under surveillance by traffic agents, apart from having traffic cones. There are specific rules for these lanes: The maximum speed is 80km/h, you have to turn the lights on when driving on it, and only cars (no buses, trailers...) can use it.

geometarkv liked this post
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #445
Booze

Genau Thanks for the pictures
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #446
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

i like the diagonal boulevard in Barcelona it reminds me of Broad Street in Newark,New Jersey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #447
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i like lateralas at Diagonal
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #448
Booze

I ended up hating it. It's impossible to cross it at once (unless you run). And in some crossroads, cars turning left have green sign at the same time as pedestrians trying to cross it. Of course pedestrians should have preference but we all know what happens...

Its buildings, however, are quite nice
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #449
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
This is the Diagonal Avenue in Barcelona. You can see the signs which allow you to use a lane or not.

image hosted on
flickr

Avinguda Diagonal "cuts" Barcelona in a diagonal straight line from mountains to the sea and it is 12-13 kilometres long!

Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes "cuts" Barcelona from river Llobregat to river Besòs in a straight line and it is 14-15 kilometres long:
[IMG]http://i10.************/6pyzp7o.jpg[/IMG]
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000

Last edited by Bitxofo; November 29th, 2007 at 12:41 AM.
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #450
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
Avinguda Diagonal "cuts" Barcelona in a diagonal straight line from mountains to the sea and it is 12-13 kilometres long!

Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes "cuts" Barcelona from river Llobregat to river Besòs in a straight line and it is 14-15 kilometres long:

and they cut each other at Glories rondo.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #451
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
and they cut each other at Glories rondo.
Together with the big Avinguda Meridiana too, the 3 main avenues meet in Glòries huge roundabout:
[IMG]http://i1.************/82tfs5c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.************/89g1btx.jpg[/IMG]
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #452
weltmeister
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

gr8 pics wow unexpectedly cool
weltmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #453
Nolke
Registered duster

Likes (Received): 2963

Quote:
And this is the "carril adicional" (additional lane) Booze says. It's rarely used, only on July/August 1st/15th/31st near bigger cities, when the people go on holidays or return home. Obviously it is under surveillance by traffic agents, apart from having traffic cones. There are specific rules for these lanes: The maximum speed is 80km/h, you have to turn the lights on when driving on it, and only cars (no buses, trailers...) can use it.

I believe what you say, but I've seen the reversible lane, getting to Seville by A-49 highway, on random sunday evenings during spring, summer or early fall more than "exceptionally". I know it might be an special case though, that road is the way to the beaches for a quite big town which stands close to the coast (what means lots of people going to spend the day to the beach), and then that traffic merges with the one that comes from the most populated zone of the metropolitan area, which uses that highway as way of access to the central town as well. All that's explanatory, specially considering that A-49 highway has only two lanes for each direction in the most of it. But still there might be other similar cases around the country, I've heard something about those additional lanes in Barcelona, for making easier the access to the city in these moments, because of the chaos generated after the suspension of train services.
Nolke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #454
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Really? My mistake. I said that because I've seen them when travelling during the summer "special days" through Madrid region (on the A-1 and A-4), but never on random Sundays (in April or September for example). However Seville must be a special case, as the beaches are quite close and the weather is warmer.

As for the additional lanes in Barcelona, as far as I know those lanes were not "additional" (in order to get one more lane in one direction) but "reserved" for the public transport, police cars, ambulances, etc. But I haven't recently been to Barcelona, so all I know is what I've heard/read, so perhaps I'm mistaken again
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #455
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Sometimes, they put additional lanes at Barcelona roads, mainly in holidays periods.
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #456
Nolke
Registered duster

Quote:
My mistake
Not really, I'm sure that this case is a very peculiar one.

Quote:
As for the additional lanes in Barcelona, as far as I know those lanes were not "additional" (in order to get one more lane in one direction) but "reserved" for the public transport, police cars, ambulances, etc. But I haven't recently been to Barcelona, so all I know is what I've heard/read, so perhaps I'm mistaken again
I don't know either, but that makes more sense, certainly .
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #457
Nolke
Registered duster

lol I just noticed that the picture you posted above shows in fact the A49 highway within Seville urban area.
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #458
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Before R-5 toll motorway construction, A-5 expressway in Madrid used to have additional lane not only in holiday periods, but in a lot of weekends. It was very usual, and that's why that expressway has special line signs from Madrid (M-40) to Navalcarnero (a 21 km stretch).

A-49 is (or was) not the only special usual case of additional lanes, and I imagine there will be more cases.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #459
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

The A-23 between Teruel and Valencia is completed after 11 years of work. The Autovía Mudéjar runs from Valencia to Zaragoza. In 2008, the final 30km somewhere between Teruel and Zaragoza will be completed, giving a full link between these two large cities.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #460
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Some Barcelona pics found on Google Earth;

B-10 Ronda del Litoral

Avenida del Litoral (adjacent to B-10 Autopista)

Avenida Diagonal from Ronda de Dalt

B-20 Ronda de Dalt

B-20 bridge in Santa Coloma de Gramenet.

B-24 nortwest of Barcelona.

Again B-24
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida