daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #4621
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
20 km/h more only to overpass another car.
Rest of time... Radars have a 10% accuracy only.

8km/h accuracy…

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia...09G11P7995.htm
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #4622
broken0099

Likes (Received): 143

Not my pictures, but I found them worth watching.

AP-66 north of León.

Selga de Ordás

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111074740

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111076308

La Magdalena

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111076460

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111076945

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111077051

Barrios de Luna

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111077766

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111078412

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111102768

Puente Ingeniero Carlos Fernández Casado. It was the world's longest cable-stayed bridge when it was opened in 1983, and it's still the longest in Spain (until the one in Cádiz is finished)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111079313

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111105212

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111103728

All photos by Ricardo Melgar: http://www.panoramio.com/user/1432645
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #4623
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Great! That's 'bucket list' material
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:16 AM   #4624
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken0099 View Post
Puente Ingeniero Carlos Fernández Casado. It was the world's longest cable-stayed bridge when it was opened in 1983, and it's still the longest in Spain (until the one in Cádiz is finished)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111079313

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111105212

The longest consideering only the distance between the two main pillars ("longitud del vano" in spanish), but not the longest consideering the complete distance. This record belongs to Puente del Centenario in Sevilla, but the one in Cádiz will break both records
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 05:05 PM   #4625
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

I finally drove over the newest section of A-23 (Nueno-Isuela gorge) this weekend. Twice. And in both directions. Seeing what happened to me with this section and to alserrod with the Sabinanigo South-Sabinanigo East one, I predict the Arguis-Monrepos summit section (basically a tunnel, traffic is again on the old one) to open next week given its near-completion status .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:06 AM   #4626
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Not my pictures, but I found them worth watching.

AP-66 north of León.
(video is not mine).

Old September 22nd, 2014, 02:37 PM   #4627
verreme

N-145 is the main road connecting Andorra with Spain. It was in an appalling state in as late as 2009, but it has recently been rebuilt. A short stretch was realigned through a new tunnel. It's a sweet drive when there's no traffic, but this is rare, traffic jams being very usual due to the (huge) border crossing in the road's Northern terminus at La Farga de Moles.

Frenchmen beware -the Spanish police does random checks South of the border to look for smuggled alcohol or tobacco. Oddly enough, "13" plates are the most sought-after, Andorra being Marseillais' favourite Pastis shop!

broken0099 liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #4628
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
The part that says that you can go 20km/h over the limit only applies if there isn't a "specific" speed limit.

For instance, imagine a stretch of road with 1.5m wide shoulders but with a speed limit of 80 km/h because you're approaching a town. In that case, you're not allowed to overtake at 100 km/h (80+20), but at 80km/h.

So, you're only allowed to overtake at 120 km/h (or 110 km/h) if the actual speed limit is 100 km/h (or 90 km/h, respectively).
Beware of photo radar. I was in Catalonia in August 2012 on a 100 km/h road (T-11) and got caught via photo radar @ 115 km/h.

It took until January 2013 to get the notice in the mail (registered mail here in Canada) as it was a rental car and it took that long to unravel the ownership etc and who actually rented the car.

The initial fine was 100 euros but for some reason I ended up paying 50 euros on my credit card with no link back to my drivers licence or insurance here in Canada. A phone call to the transportation ministry in Catalonia (in english) solved it all.

They included a clear photo of my rental car and exactly where and when the picture was taken.

I found it to be a cash grab and I was surprised it took so long for me to get the fine. Seriously fining people going 115 km/h on an open road with literally no traffic.
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:40 PM   #4629
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

This is the standard practice about speed enforcement on European highways: cameras, some tolerance, but no discretion on officials. You are above the threshold, you get fined.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:09 PM   #4630
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Beware of photo radar. I was in Catalonia in August 2012 on a 100 km/h road (T-11) and got caught via photo radar @ 115 km/h.

It took until January 2013 to get the notice in the mail (registered mail here in Canada) as it was a rental car and it took that long to unravel the ownership etc and who actually rented the car.

The initial fine was 100 euros but for some reason I ended up paying 50 euros on my credit card with no link back to my drivers licence or insurance here in Canada. A phone call to the transportation ministry in Catalonia (in english) solved it all.

They included a clear photo of my rental car and exactly where and when the picture was taken.

I found it to be a cash grab and I was surprised it took so long for me to get the fine. Seriously fining people going 115 km/h on an open road with literally no traffic.

Rules and law apply anywhere...

I recommend to download the DGT app. They will point all radars they managed (in roads all except in Catalonia and Basque country and nothing inside cities, but enough information for a lot of trips).
And anyway you can surf on their web and they will say the same information and print it. Obviously, car radars are also on the road and... you can get fined even from a helicopter!!!

In motorways, maximum allowed speed is 120. There are someones with barely some cars and you could drive faster... but it can be expensive to your pocket.

Since (July 2006) Spain got a strongest law on traffic issues, fatality has decreased toooooo much.

About price, minimum traffic fine is 100 EUR but almost any fine payed within 15 days after you receive the letter will have a 50% discount.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:43 PM   #4631
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This is the standard practice about speed enforcement on European highways: cameras, some tolerance, but no discretion on officials. You are above the threshold, you get fined.
Speaking about Catalonia, tolerances way above the "official" 10 km/h threshold are not uncommon on speed traps. Police officers don't like to be the bad guys. It's no standard practice though, but it's quite widespread. I don't think any officer will set the threshold of their Multanova at anything less than 100 km/h in an 80. Speed cameras are different as they are not run by the police but by each region's traffic authority, and tolerances are low, and always the same.

It also varies depending on which police enforces the roads. Barcelona city council applies 20 km/h tolerance on speed limits of 60 km/h or higher, and 15 km/h on 50 or lower. Same applies for fines. Two years ago, I was fined with 50€ and no points for doing 140 km/h in a 100 -outside Barcelona city limits, this would have cost me 2 points and a higher fine. This is the highest standard tolerance I'm aware of in Spain.

I reckon that it's a completely different approach than in the US or Canada. If you drive fast (through a speed trap ), there's no escape, but you usually depend less on the mood of a police officer -and you don't risk going to prison unless you're driving very fast.

Last edited by verreme; September 22nd, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:52 PM   #4632
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Last fine I saw was because driving 98 when limited to 80.

They set a 10% accuracy (thus 89 ?= fine)

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:09 AM   #4633
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

fixed cameras are configured with few tolerance or no tolerance at all (i.e. a fixed camera could fine you for driving at 121km/h on a 120km/h motorway) but every camera has an error margin that is (or should be) deducted from your detected speed. For example if you are driving at 125 (and your car tells you that you are driving at 135), the camera detects 127 and the error margin is 10%, the system would know that you could have been driving at 114km/h and it won't fine you.

Mobile cameras are usually configured with a margin of tolerance (and I think that this is more frequent where the generic limit is not in place) and the error margin factor is still present.

You can check the official fines table here: https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tra..._velocidad.pdf

And the one with the new limits (still not applicable): http://www.abogadosparatodos.net/wp-.../10/image1.jpg
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM   #4634
broken0099

Quote:

AFAIK, T-11 is an "autovía". I should've pointed out that the +20 km/h tolerance doesn't apply to roads classified as "autopista" or "autovía".

The tolerance doesn't apply either unless you're driving a motorbike or a passenger car (i.e. trucks/lorries, vans, buses aren't allowed to drive over the limit).

Besides, in dual carriageways which aren't classified as "autopista" or "autovía" it's also possible to drive faster than the limit when overtaking.

Here's an article (in Spanish) that explains it quite clearly: http://www.peris.es/2014/04/cuando-s...-de-velocidad/

Quote:

If you pay in less than 15 days' time you get a 50% discount.

Quote:
Yes, that's what most people here think. But it seems that speed cameras on motorways are highly profitable investments for authorities. And they do need the money in order to... buy more speed cameras.
broken0099 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM   #4635
broken0099

Now, on a totally unrelated subject, I think this is an interesting piece of Spanish road history. I found this picture that shows different models of roadmender cottages. It was part of a modernization plan made in 1950 by the ministry of public works. Each model was intended for a specific location, I guess the top-left one was for the Spanish Sahara and the middle-left one for the Spanish Guinea.

Edificios auxiliares de carretera, Plan de Modernización 1.950 by elpacense07, on Flickr

Peines, arnau_Vic liked this post
broken0099 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:09 PM   #4636
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Oops. minor correction. The actual road I was on was the C-14 near Reus. Not sure if that changes things or not. Either way, fining people going 115 km/h on a road with a speed limit of 100 km/h is going to catch a lot of people.

Quote:
AFAIK, T-11 is an "autovía". I should've pointed out that the +20 km/h tolerance doesn't apply to roads classified as "autopista" or "autovía".

The tolerance doesn't apply either unless you're driving a motorbike or a passenger car (i.e. trucks/lorries, vans, buses aren't allowed to drive over the limit).

Besides, in dual carriageways which aren't classified as "autopista" or "autovía" it's also possible to drive faster than the limit when overtaking.

Here's an article (in Spanish) that explains it quite clearly: http://www.peris.es/2014/04/cuando-s...-de-velocidad/

If you pay in less than 15 days' time you get a 50% discount.

Yes, that's what most people here think. But it seems that speed cameras on motorways are highly profitable investments for authorities. And they do need the money in order to... buy more speed cameras.
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:35 PM   #4637
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Oops. minor correction. The actual road I was on was the C-14 near Reus. Not sure if that changes things or not. Either way, fining people going 115 km/h on a road with a speed limit of 100 km/h is going to catch a lot of people.
But then what is the point of setting a far too low speed limit, only to raise the "tolerance" on fines?

I'd rather have a higher speed limit assigned to roads, allowing people to be legally withing the limit, instead of giving more tolerance on radar photos.
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #4638
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But then what is the point of setting a far too low speed limit, only to raise the "tolerance" on fines?

I'd rather have a higher speed limit assigned to roads, allowing people to be legally withing the limit, instead of giving more tolerance on radar photos.
There should be a little bit of both. People are not computers, they make mistakes. Even if the speed limit is high, it's easy to drive 110 in a 100 thinking that you're in a 120, for example. And speed cameras should target conscious speeders, not people making reasonable mistakes.
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #4639
Suburbanist
on the road

I agree, I think 10% tolerance is a reasonable measure.

Moreover, I'm kinda against fixed speed cameras except when it is a critical point. I'm in favor of sector control (2 cameras that measure your average speed over 1, 2, even 10km, by reading your plates, and then calculate average speed).

Is there sector-control camera speed enforcement in Spain?
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #4640
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

What do you mean about "sector-control"?

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida