daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #4741
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is possible...administrations didn't know what to do with money and the problem is that you may use for something useful then and later and no overcosting either for maintenance.

In Spain it's quite used the word "bubble" to talk about those years

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #4742
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

A secondary issue is that construction in Spain is quite cheap compared to other European countries. That applies to everything - from subway to high speed rail, roads, hydro power plants, transmission lines, ports... I don't know exactly why.

When construction is cheaper, you can build roads that would have been uneconomical in other countries like Germany or Italy.

This being said, there are gaps that need to be closed, such as a link between Ciudad Real and Don Benito; and finishing all works on A22/A23 between Huesca and Yesa; and highway links to Somport (French border) and Andorra.

solchante liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #4743
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yesa-Huesca would be A-21 / A-23 (till Jaca and later). Almost all works are halted but we do know which streches will be on works next years (and which ones will not!!)

Another issue is A-22 Huesca-Sietamo. Have a look to a Huesca-Barcelona journey by...motorway??

Old December 14th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #4744
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Another issue is A-22 Huesca-Sietamo. Have a look to a Huesca-Barcelona journey by...motorway??
Travelling from Huesca to Pau would be even more awesome
Old December 14th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #4745
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It would!!! I've done it (either by train/bus/train either by road)

But look at a map. In several years you will have a motorway until northern side of Jaca and just two 50 limits because villages will be between there and the tunnel.

And... what about after the tunnel?. In that side things go slowlier....

Old December 14th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #4746
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
It would!!! I've done it (either by train/bus/train either by road)

But look at a map. In several years you will have a motorway until northern side of Jaca and just two 50 limits because villages will be between there and the tunnel.

And... what about after the tunnel?. In that side things go slowlier....
I'd be happy with a 1+1 modernized road over there already. Especially north of Estaut.
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #4747
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Spain should invest more in Broadband...so people can work from home more...and in water/hydro ....rather than roads. Obviously the 'old' A roads north of Madrid-Valencia need some upgrade love as well. As for more houses or airports.

But Spain also needs to transmit good news stories after the last few years and the quality of the infrastructure is a good news story well worth showing off to everybody.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #4748
Suburbanist
on the road

Is the quality of broadband in Spain bad? I have no idea...

I'm also not sure there is enough housing. Prices are still high and out of rich of middle classes in many cities. Prices only collapsed a lot in resort cities that had built villas and beach flats like crazy. But the bigger centers like Madri, Zaragoza, Barcelona, Valencia, Bilbao need a lot of housing to bring prices down.
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #4749
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

more housing in spain ??? i think there are more than 500.000 houses withouth buyers ??

RV liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #4750
Suburbanist
on the road

Do they have some plan to connect A58 with A66 in Cáceres?
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #4751
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe Spain had the lowest public debt in southern Europe in 2007.
Debt was not our main problem -the way our economy worked was. We couldn't rely on building crazy housing development plans everywhere. It was clearly unsustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A secondary issue is that construction in Spain is quite cheap compared to other European countries. That applies to everything - from subway to high speed rail, roads, hydro power plants, transmission lines, ports... I don't know exactly why.

When construction is cheaper, you can build roads that would have been uneconomical in other countries like Germany or Italy.

This being said, there are gaps that need to be closed, such as a link between Ciudad Real and Don Benito; and finishing all works on A22/A23 between Huesca and Yesa; and highway links to Somport (French border) and Andorra.
Construction being cheap is what many people ignore. Road-wise, and exceptuating some idiocies like radiales, Spain has spent sensibly.

Such a link between Don Benito and Ciudad Real will never be built. There's hardly any traffic to justify it and the area has a high environmental value -that's why A-43 through that area was cancelled. As for the road to Somport, the existing one is okay on the Spanish side, and the French have explicitly said that they won't do anything to improve their road, so it would be pointless to build a motorway there. The motorway to Andorra is likely to eventually be built, but it's a very difficult project because of the terrain and the involvement of the Spanish and French authorities. At least they have both agreed that such a connection is necessary.
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #4752
Suburbanist
on the road

I think many complain about the "waste" on building so many highways between Valencia and Alicant when a simple "square" would do it.
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #4753
verreme

Quote:
I think many complain about the "waste" on building so many highways between Valencia and Alicant when a simple "square" would do it.
It's not a waste in any way. AP-7 connects both cities with many coastal towns that attract a lot of tourism in summer. It's not the fastest way between Valencia and Alicante, and it's tolled, but it's vital for cities like Benidorm, Gandia or Denia. Then there's A-38, which makes a lot of sense for towns like Cullera, that are isolated from AP-7.

As for A-7, its purpose is to connect Alcoi with the rest of the world. Alcoi lies in a very isolated valley, yet it's a medium-sized city with some industrial activity. Plus, there's Ibi nearby, which is also an important industrial pole of the region. A-7 goes through some rugged terrain, with some long 80 km/h sections.

The fastest route between Alicante and Valencia is A-31+A-35. AP-7 and A-7 are meant to serve traffic going somewhere between Valencia and Alicante, whilst through traffic is meant to use A-35 and A-31. Terrain is easier and they allow 120 km/h most of the way (A-31 could be better, though). When A-33 in Font de la Figuera is complete, it will be the route of choice between Valencia and Alicante. For me, it already is -the 10 kilometers or so of N-344 are mostly straight and flat except for two bends in the town, and there are no roundabouts or traffic lights.
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #4754
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3671

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
more housing in spain ??? i think there are more than 500.000 houses withouth buyers ??
And 1 million of empty homes in Spain...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #4755
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Do they have some plan to connect A58 with A66 in Cáceres?
I've read a new Northern (IIRC) bypass is in the planning stages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
The motorway to Andorra is likely to eventually be built, but it's a very difficult project because of the terrain and the involvement of the Spanish and French authorities. At least they have both agreed that such a connection is necessary.
A motorway to Andorra is one of my wet dreams .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #4756
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
15 December 2014

A 5.1 kilometer segment of autovía opened to traffic in Madrid Community. It runs from M-50 near Majadahonda to Villanueva del Pardillo. Construction cost was € 26 million.

http://www.elmundo.es/madrid/2014/12...8668b456f.html

http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?c...d%2FEstructura
Pics:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Peines liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #4757
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
And 1 million of empty homes in Spain...
Spains population grew very strongly from 1998 to 2008

Along the coast it will not take that much to mop those empties up, dunno about some of those ghost towns on the Meseta near Madrid though!

RV liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #4758
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
It's not a waste in any way. AP-7 connects both cities with many coastal towns that attract a lot of tourism in summer. It's not the fastest way between Valencia and Alicante, and it's tolled, but it's vital for cities like Benidorm, Gandia or Denia. Then there's A-38, which makes a lot of sense for towns like Cullera, that are isolated from AP-7.

As for A-7, its purpose is to connect Alcoi with the rest of the world. Alcoi lies in a very isolated valley, yet it's a medium-sized city with some industrial activity. Plus, there's Ibi nearby, which is also an important industrial pole of the region. A-7 goes through some rugged terrain, with some long 80 km/h sections.

The fastest route between Alicante and Valencia is A-31+A-35. AP-7 and A-7 are meant to serve traffic going somewhere between Valencia and Alicante, whilst through traffic is meant to use A-35 and A-31. Terrain is easier and they allow 120 km/h most of the way (A-31 could be better, though). When A-33 in Font de la Figuera is complete, it will be the route of choice between Valencia and Alicante. For me, it already is -the 10 kilometers or so of N-344 are mostly straight and flat except for two bends in the town, and there are no roundabouts or traffic lights.
Alicante northern by-pass is an idiotism that doesn't make sense if you don't want to go from direction Madrid to direction Zaragoza or the other way.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #4759
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Pics:

Now THIS is what Spain needs.

Blackraven liked this post
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4760
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Alicante northern by-pass is an idiotism that doesn't make sense if you don't want to go from direction Madrid to direction Zaragoza or the other way.
I suppose you mean AP-7. No it doesn't make sense. It's one of the toll roads that are in financial trouble. Like AP-7 Cartagena-Vera, the only explanation for this road is corruption. Back in the days, Spain was a political machine supported by construction companies and banks lending them money, so road planning was focused on them making the most profit. We still have a lot of problems related to corruption -but there's less money, so no "useless" motorways are being built.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida