daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #4901
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Add another 2 km or so in Zaragoza but nothing special. A motorway arrived to city centre without exits. It has been enlarged (4x4) but it is an avenue instead of a motorway

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #4902
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Spain must be the most pro-road country in Europe.
I was reading up dozens and dozens of old articles of El País and ABC from the 1980s and 1990s (to get opening dates of first generation autovías) and it is notable how in Spain both PSOE and PP heavily favored highway construction, using them as election propaganda. In most (western) European countries, the social democrats / labor equivalents are not as much in favor of new motorways.

Spain likely has the best road infrastructure in Europe and maybe the world. Spanish cities also tend to rank very low in congestion indexes. Madrid is by far the lowest ranked major metropolitan area in Europe in the TomTom Travel Index.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #4903
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Spain has spent a lot on all kinds of transport infrastructure. High speed rail is perhaps the best known project abroad, but I suspect a lot more has been spent on various highway projects. Urban rail has also done well. However almost all these transportation systems have now been finished or will be very soon (within 5 years).

Perhaps it's time to invest more heavily into higher education and R&D to increase productivity and make sure that there are enough people able to afford all what has been built.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #4904
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Spain has spent a lot on all kinds of transport infrastructure. High speed rail is perhaps the best known project abroad, but I suspect a lot more has been spent on various highway projects.
Fomento (the ministry of works) has been spending more on rail projects than highways since at least 2003. High-speed rail is expensive, especially with all the mountain ranges in Spain. Spanish autovías have a very low construction cost (generally in the € 6 million/km range, but can be as low as € 2 million/km). Even mountainous autovías are not very expensive compared to the Alps.

I wonder which large city could be considered to have the worst road network in Spain. Perhaps Sevilla. It is well connected to other regions, but its urban motorway network is not as good (SE-30 being substandard at various places). The motorway network around Madrid is just mind-boggling.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #4905
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Why can Spain build freeways so cheap? I know there are some factors, such as:
- excessively dense cities = not much scattered housing interfering with rural roads
- lots of low-value land
- low wages for lower-skilled construction workers

Yet, that cannot explain things alone. Other countries like Portugal and Greece also have these factors, yet construction in these areas is much more expensive
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #4906
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why can Spain build freeways so cheap? I know there are some factors, such as:
- excessively dense cities = not much scattered housing interfering with rural roads
- lots of low-value land
- low wages for lower-skilled construction workers

Yet, that cannot explain things alone. Other countries like Portugal and Greece also have these factors, yet construction in these areas is much more expensive
Spain has lots of valueless land. It's not a coincidence that it also is a pioneer country in reforestation programs. Between 1940 and 2011 forest area increased from 11 million ha to 18 million due to worthless land being reforested. Plus, population density is very low -92 people per square kilometer against 114 for Portugal. And it's way less mountainous than Greece. Motorways in urban areas or through mountains are expensive, like everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Fomento (the ministry of works) has been spending more on rail projects than highways since at least 2003. High-speed rail is expensive, especially with all the mountain ranges in Spain. Spanish autovías have a very low construction cost (generally in the € 6 million/km range, but can be as low as € 2 million/km). Even mountainous autovías are not very expensive compared to the Alps.

I wonder which large city could be considered to have the worst road network in Spain. Perhaps Sevilla. It is well connected to other regions, but its urban motorway network is not as good (SE-30 being substandard at various places). The motorway network around Madrid is just mind-boggling.
SE-40 will change this, though the city will not get a Northern bypass for a long time -SE-30 is just three quarters of a circle. A-8009, in the North of the city, is one of the very few Spanish motorways that are not connected to the rest of the network.

Last edited by verreme; February 28th, 2015 at 09:16 PM.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 03:44 AM   #4907
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1004

Well, Portugal is only ours because we had some rough territory to help it happening, protecting it from the foreign incursions. It's really amazing when you cross some borders - Vilar Formoso and Quintanilha are the most striking cases, I think -, you come from Spain where all is flat and suddenly a couple km after entering Portugal the motorways start to go up and down the hills The Portuguese territory is, with the exception of Alentejo in the south, more mountainous than a considerable part of Spain (CyL, CLM, Extremadura, ...), and that makes it more expensive to build a motorway.

Talking about roads, I see that they have been refurbishing N-I between Burgos and Pancorbo. Do they have plans to make it a 1+1 expressway till Ameyugo, where AP-1 becomes free?

Last edited by rpc08; March 1st, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
rpc08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 03:41 PM   #4908
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Spain likely has the best road infrastructure in Europe and maybe the world. Spanish cities also tend to rank very low in congestion indexes. Madrid is by far the lowest ranked major metropolitan area in Europe in the TomTom Travel Index.
Madrid has a very decent public transport network, too. 13 metro lines + several light rail (metro ligero) lines and additionally the Cercanias, which, too, transport several hundred thousands of people daily. This network is good enough to offer a reasonable option for people with a low or medium income.
As a result of that public transport has a very high modal share in Madrid (42%), significantly higher than car (30%), which is pretty rare in cities west of Vienna.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:48 PM   #4909
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post
Well, Portugal is only ours because we had some rough territory to help it happening, protecting it from the foreign incursions. It's really amazing when you cross some borders - Vilar Formoso and Quintanilha are the most striking cases, I think -, you come from Spain where all is flat and suddenly a couple km after entering Portugal the motorways start to go up and down the hills The Portuguese territory is, with the exception of Alentejo in the south, more mountainous than a considerable part of Spain (CyL, CLM, Extremadura, ...), and that makes it more expensive to build a motorway.

Talking about roads, I see that they have been refurbishing N-I between Burgos and Pancorbo. Do they have plans to make it a 1+1 expressway till Ameyugo, where AP-1 becomes free?
I've read/heard many times that Spain was the second most mountainous country in Europe after Switzerland, but I've never believed it. It may be true, however, that its average altitude (meters above sea level) is the second highest - but that seems wrong too. (I can't post the link, but check the "List of countries by average elevation" on Wikipedia).

As you said, the northern & southern plateaus, plus the Ebro and Guadalquivir valleys are quite flat and make up about the at least two thirds of the continental part of the country. Italy (except the Pianura Padana), Portugal, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Norway are in my opinion way more hilly.

I've uploaded another 2 videos of Spanish highways and roads.

First, the LO-20, southern bypass of Logroño, including the recently opened stretch:

The second one shows the old N-111 Logroño-Pamplona, which was downgraded to a local road (NA-1110) when the A-12 was opened. This particular stretch is called Mataburros (literally, donkey killer) and used to be quite dangerous because of the curves and the queues formed behind the slow-moving trucks and buses.

(It's weird that I can't post links, but I can embed Youtube videos).

Suburbanist, alsama liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:56 PM   #4910
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

The Autovia Mudejar has plenty of grade sections on the supposed plateaus between Zaragoza and the coast.
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:00 PM   #4911
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Well... here you are an example of a road demolishion:

Picture taken by newspaper Heraldo

Reason?

Ebro river is overpassed everywhere. That road is the Boquiñeni-Luceni local road
https://www.google.es/maps/place/506...983fa035dad06f

and it was done because of this:

Picture is taken by Aragon TV and it looks forward south-west

Look at "natural way" of the river (surrounded by trees) and all filled with water.

Take a look to the bridge which can help you to locate the area. The village in the picture is Pradilla de Ebro, thus Boquiñeni would be just in the left of the image

Old March 1st, 2015, 05:37 PM   #4912
Highway89

Quote:
The Autovia Mudejar has plenty of grade sections on the supposed plateaus between Zaragoza and the coast.
I think the A-23 between Zaragoza and the coast crosses the eastern massifs of the Iberian mountain range.
Old March 1st, 2015, 06:46 PM   #4913
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It doesn't cross too much at all. They look fot the easiest way. Therefore, not many bridges (and absolutely no tunnels)

Old March 1st, 2015, 10:48 PM   #4914
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post

AP-1 will be toll-free when concession ends in 2018 (source).
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:10 PM   #4915
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
I really like the section between Carinena and Calamocha. But then it becomes plain boring until Teruel (if it exists at all ) and then the landscape turns better, but I've only been a couple times past Teruel. I also like A-2 from Ariza to Zaragoza, even if it's 7 km shorter than posted (measured and confirmed with my car ).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:14 PM   #4916
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

So do I.

Paniza (Cariñena south indeed) - Calamocha is quite interesting

Teruel-Calamocha is quite boring... but beyond Teruel going to the south there are five interesting bridges.

Later, a "high level" motorway (arount 1000 m over sea level" and it is just entering the Valencian community where it takes a long way down to the sea.

About A-2 Zaragoza-La Almunia is boring but La Almunia - Calatayud has four little mountain passes. Quite small all of them, but quite interesting to drive there

Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:19 AM   #4917
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

Quote:
Dream is cheap.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:20 PM   #4918
Highway89

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
Dream is cheap.
In this case I think we can expect it becomes true.

In a few months' time the N-I will be banned for trucks, which will have to take the AP-1 instead. The government will subsidize half of their toll fares, which is a lot of money. Therefore it may be cheaper for the administration to take control of the AP-1 once the concession expires, rather than keeping on paying half of the tolls to the managing company.

Or maybe it isn't, and the concession is extended again. In this scenario, maybe the administration will ask for some improvements in return, as they did the previous time, when the stretch between Pancorbo and Armiñón became toll-free and was widened to 2x3.

But there are other factors to take into account. For instance, the "ghost motorways". Will they become part of a state-owned company? And don't forget that there are local and national elections in 2015.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:03 PM   #4919
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
About A-2 Zaragoza-La Almunia is boring but La Almunia - Calatayud has four little mountain passes. Quite small all of them, but quite interesting to drive there
I also agree. A-2 through La Almunia, Calatorao and Epila municipalities is boring (fortunately it's only 15 km) but I disagree with the part that goes through La Muela and its windmills. Also, past Ateca there is also an interesting section with some viaducts, and the landscape changes dramatically when you hit Contamina (I mentioned earlier Ariza because it's larger), it feels you are already in the Castilian plateau but you haven't left Aragon yet!

BTW, I can't believe the greenies haven't forced Contamima to change its name. Contamina literally means 'it pollutes'!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:07 PM   #4920
CNGL
Leudimin

In other news, ARA-A1 motorway has been closed down due to part of it having been swept away by the ongoing Ebro river flood. This is the only bridge between the Z-40 near Zaragoza and Pina, and the latter town may have to be evacuated, so I'm afraid there are no safe crossings downstream until Caspe.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida