daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #5261
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Many CV-40 signs remain. It should be A-7 since it was transferred to the Central Government from Generalitat Valenciana some years ago, but in Spain signs take a long time to be replaced.

Anyway, the route through A-35 will again be more logical once A-33 in La Font de la Figuera is complete (it's scheduled to open this year). It's a flatter route with a better alignment than the winding, steep A-7.

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #5262
Carretero
'Carregoogle' Member

Likes (Received): 96

Also, in the different interchanges near Alicante (using A-7/AP-7/A-70/A-77), no signal leads to Valencia using that route. Only A-7 (Alcoi) is marked, and Valencia is only marked in signals for A-31 or AP-7.

L&C Productions: I: Torre de Madrid - II: Torre Castilla - III: Torre de Valencia - LCP: Hospital Gómez Ulla
Otros reportajes: Urbanismo atroz en Gamonal (Burgos) - Soria: esa pequeña gran desconocida

"La gente debería venir a la obra de vacaciones en vez de al valle de Ordesa"
(Manolo Melis)
Carretero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #5263
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Google Maps already recommends that route today. It makes you wonder how many people use AP-7. It's expensive and longer to travel from Valencia to Alicante.

There is a huge network of motorways in this area, with Valencia in particular having a large regional network of autovías. Plus several regional autovías, A-7, AP-7, A-35 & A-38.

A friend of mine was scared of driving into Madrid after taking a look on the map with the mindboggling network of motorways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #5264
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Google Maps already recommends that route today. It makes you wonder how many people use AP-7. It's expensive and longer to travel from Valencia to Alicante.

There is a huge network of motorways in this area, with Valencia in particular having a large regional network of autovías. Plus several regional autovías, A-7, AP-7, A-35 & A-38.

A friend of mine was scared of driving into Madrid after taking a look on the map with the mindboggling network of motorways.
AP-7 is meant to serve coastal cities such as Altea, Benidorm or Calpe. It's not a transit motorway. But AADT is not low (between 15000 and 20000 vehicles per day in 2013), because these cities attract a lot of tourism in the summer season. The stretches of A-38 that are in service carry a similar amount of traffic. Bear in mind that A-38 is not meant to be a "complete" motorway; only specific bypasses are being built, as well as the longer stretch that serves Cullera, a city with a population of 20000+ (much more in summer) that was not reached by AP-7.

Both AP-7 and A-7 have a local purpose -the transit route is clearly A-35+A-31, and the long-term plan is to finish A-33 for traffic going to Murcia or further South to use this inland route, which will also be shorter.

It's a densely populated region, especially in summer. There are no "quiet" motorways in the area -in fact, AP-7 can easily be congested in July/August.

arctic_carlos liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #5265
RV

Likes (Received): 275

A-7 is in very poor condition between Fuengirola and Estepona (excluding Marbella by-pass). It is also very heavily trafficked especially around Fuengirola (70 000-80 000 AADT/2+2 lanes) and it's geomety ith no acceleration lanes and entries on every private property and "Urbanisación" is extremely dangerous. Something could be done about that.

Also wonder, why was the original A-7 destroyed between Fuengirola and Torremolinos, with heavy traffic on it. I think this type of very heavy "boulevardisation" is stupid. In a place where two parallel expressways are actually needed, it was made into a street with traffic lights for no pedestrians.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #5266
verreme

Refurbishing A-7 in Málaga province would imply demolishing lots of buildings and maybe even whole urbanizaciones, so I don't think this is actually feasible.
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #5267
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Refurbishing A-7 in Málaga province would imply demolishing lots of buildings and maybe even whole urbanizaciones, so I don't think this is actually feasible.
Well that has to be done some times. I mean, the road is a death trap in some places. Also, in Fuengirola third lanes would not be so difficult to add, and they are needed indeed. They did a good job refurbishing the road with local-traffic-lanes north from the old road interchange.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #5268
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3905

Quote:
Both AP-7 and A-7 have a local purpose -the transit route is clearly A-35+A-31, and the long-term plan is to finish A-33 for traffic going to Murcia or further South to use this inland route, which will also be shorter.
In my two last trips from Barcelona to Granada, in October last year and last month, I used the three possible routes (A-35+A-31, A-7 and AP-7).

The first one (A-35+A-31) is for sure the shorter, and there is an important advantage: you bypass Alicante, so you don't have to worry about traffic congestion there. The main problem is the missing A-33 stretch near La Font de la Figuera. As of today you still need to drive 10 km of old national road full of trucks. We also had a hard time trying to find a place to have a coffee and eat a snack driving this route, as there are not proper service areas, just old and shabby restaurants out of the main road.

The second one (A-7) seems the most attractive on a map, as it is 100% motorway without tolls... But maps of course are not three-dimensional and they don't show the tight bends and steep climbs and slopes, with its speed limitations. I wouldn't recommend this route.

And the third one (AP-7) allows you to drive faster, as it is a motorway with relatively few traffic (in contrast with A-31) and good layout. Rest areas are also an advantage there, as they simply don't exist in the other two routes, like in many old autovías. You don't need to worry about finding a good restaurant, you know every 30 km or so there's a service area; they can seem dull and overpriced, but at least you know what you'll find.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #5269
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

A62 PT border - Fuentes de Onoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I found a news article of 2nd January. It says, the A62 contract will be signed in Mid January 2015. The construction deadline will be April 2018.

Does anyone have any info wheather the works have been started in January (or February or March)?
Haven't been in Spain since last year but according to the local press works have already started. In fact, the Secretary of State for the Transports and Infrastructures should have visited the construction site yesterday but the meeting was cancelled after the Germanwings plane crashed in the French Alps.

P.S.: In the comments box of that article there's someone saying that works haven't started and the visit would only serve political purposes. I don't know what to think now...
A62 construction works will begin in the 2nd half of 2015, execution time is 40 month, completion date March 2018: http://www.lagacetadesalamanca.es/sa...no/143407.html (6th May 2015)

A contract for controlling and supervising is signed: http://www.salamanca24horas.com/loca...ra-de-portugal (12th May 2015)

Wikipedia says "Inicio de obras (apertura prevista 2018)" --> "Start of construction (scheduled opening 2018)"?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #5270
verreme

I made two videos of the urban motorways of Donostia/San Sebastián. For a city of its size, San Sebastián has the best motorway network in Spain, and probably in the world.

First one is the city's "old" bypass, GI-20. It was built in the 1970s as part of A-8, and due to its winding, steep nature it soon became unsuitable for the heavy truck traffic it had. In 2010 an outer bypass opened and old A-8 was renumbered GI-20, though it hasn't been physically downgraded. Note that neither the inner nor the outer bypass are tolled. Video features Pasaia bypass, which opened in 2010 allowing a completely free-flow, toll-free bypass of Donostia metro area.

Second video features the outer bypass (AP-1/AP-8) and two of the main entrances to the city, Carlos I interchange and Zorroaga tunnel. First one dates from the 1970s and was rebuilt shortly after this video was shot. Zorroaga tunnel is newer (2010) and more direct than the old Amara tunnels and Carlos I avenue, which has now been lowered to even its level to the street. Both expressways leave you at the very center of the city.

Suburbanist, MichiH liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #5271
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Cool . I'll drive there next week too

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

solchante liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #5272
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

What drove the choices of reducing the profile of old A7 or keeping it parallel to AP-7 in Andalucia, depending on the sector?
Old May 16th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #5273
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What drove the choices of reducing the profile of old A7 or keeping it parallel to AP-7 in Andalucia, depending on the sector?
I suppose you're talking about Torremolinos bypass. The old motorway ran through the middle of the town and was difficult to expand, so AP-7 was freed from the concession and became A-7. Other sections of A-7 don't go through areas so heavily urbanized so they have been kept.
Old May 16th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #5274
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Meanwhile, in the country of the thousand motorways... This is the current status of the national road N-232 in Valdivielso, Burgos.

Source: http://www.diariodeburgos.es/noticia...tinua/abandono
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #5275
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

The N-232 doesn't mind where you look for. It is a rubbish. Either because heavy traffic, either because poor conditions.

Never mind if you look near Santander or near Vinaroz

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #5276
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
The N-232 doesn't mind where you look for. It is a rubbish. Either because heavy traffic, either because poor conditions.

Never mind if you look near Santander or near Vinaroz
Can't be agree.

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.54931...qxOA!2e0?hl=es

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #5277
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

From Vinaroz to near N-420 cross there are sites quite cool

https://www.google.es/maps/@40.73131...JX9g!2e0?hl=es
(in the boundary C.Valenciana-Aragon)

or these ones

https://www.google.es/maps/@40.55651...oNTQ!2e0?hl=es
(turn left, it remains down the same road)

or
https://www.google.es/maps/@40.55651...oNTQ!2e0?hl=es

(works halted in 2010 and were really advanced!!! )

In the rest of the road you can really find things like these ones (both three pics are taken within 40 km or so)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #5278
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

N-232 is actually quite good in La Rioja and Burgos, except for that 20 km long stretch that I posted above. Even the local roads in that area have a better pavement than this national road.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #5279
Boltzman
S = k ln Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Also any of you know which is the prettiest road for crossing the mountains from the coast to Granada? It doesn't need to be fast as we have an entire day to do it.
My suggestions for picturesque trips:

Route from Málaga:

- At Torre del Mar take the A-356 to La Viñuela dam, then the A-402 to Alhama de Granada, then the A-338 towards Granada.

-At Almuñécar, take the SO-2, until its end near Padul, where it merges with the A-44.

-At Salobreña, take the old N-323 road instead the brand-new A-44, until Ízbor or Dúrcal. The road continues further North, but using A-44 is also a nice option.

Route from Almería:

-At La Rábita, take the A-345; passing Albuñol, take the A-4131 towards Órgiva, then the A-348 until merging to the A-44.

-Same road A-345 but leading to Cádiar; after crossing it take the A-4127 (and sucessive roads) through Trevélez to Órgiva, then follow the previous route.
Boltzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #5280
Carretero
'Carregoogle' Member

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Also wonder, why was the original A-7 destroyed between Fuengirola and Torremolinos, with heavy traffic on it. I think this type of very heavy "boulevardisation" is stupid. In a place where two parallel expressways are actually needed, it was made into a street with traffic lights for no pedestrians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Quote:
I suppose you're talking about Torremolinos bypass. The old motorway ran through the middle of the town and was difficult to expand, so AP-7 was freed from the concession and became A-7. Other sections of A-7 don't go through areas so heavily urbanized so they have been kept.
In the moment that there is no toll between Torremolinos and Fuengirola, there is no longer need to leave another motorway inside these two cities and Benalmádena. I visit that zone frequendly and I consider the downgrade of old N-340 to be a good idea; if I need to drive a long distance I will take A-7.

Also, note that a lot of name changes have been done on this area:
- Where the Torremolinos-Fuengirola bypass was built in 1991, it was named A-7 but also N-340 was oficially re-routed there, and double A-7/N-340 mileposts with different km values were installed there.
- I think that at the same time the urban stretch of N-340 was downgraded and lost its name.
- In 1999-2002 tolled A-7 motorway was opened between Fuengirola and Estepona.
- In 2003 The tolled motorway changed its name from A-7 to AP-7 and the double-carriageway N-340 changed to A-7.
- The toll-free section Torremolinos-Fuengirola simply continued being A-7. But they should also have updated the mileage (because it had the mileage of tolled A-7, that is not the same than old N-340), and also N-340 signs are still there
- Also, the old stretch of N-340 between Málaga and Torremolinos was renamed MA-21.
- Later, a new stretch of A-7 (the "Hiperronda") was built and A-7 between its interchanges was renamed to MA-20. So the old A-7 motorway is now MA-20 and A-7.

Understood?

L&C Productions: I: Torre de Madrid - II: Torre Castilla - III: Torre de Valencia - LCP: Hospital Gómez Ulla
Otros reportajes: Urbanismo atroz en Gamonal (Burgos) - Soria: esa pequeña gran desconocida

"La gente debería venir a la obra de vacaciones en vez de al valle de Ordesa"
(Manolo Melis)

Last edited by Carretero; May 20th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Carretero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida