daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #5341
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Regarding fuel stations, I assume western Zaragoza you were in the AP-68 (tolled) and not in the A-68/N-232 (I ALWAYS avoid N-232).
No, the first A2 gas station just west of Z40 was with service.

I passed Zaragossa twice: A23 Huesca-Valencia and A2 Lleida-Madrid.

Quote:
A tolled motorway must have, by law, more or less one fuel station every 30 km more or less opening 16h per day and one out of two must open 24/7.
I think not-tolled motorways do also have a lot of gas stations at exits.

Quote:
Anyway, besides Sobradiel station opens 24h, near Gallur opens 7-23,
I wondered about these signs. The first signs I noticed were 7-24 so I thought it means 7 days per week a 24 hours.

Afterwards, I saw many 7-23 signs and I asked myself, how the hell drivers should know when it's closed . I got it later on though .

Quote:
If you drove Barcelona-Zaragoza I remember that they point the price of fuel in the next three stations.
I often saw displays like this in Spain and France. I couldn't get the information while driving because it's not enough time to recognize it. I think it's only useful for people who are driving there regularly and know the location.

In general, I think life is too short to think about thinks like fuel prices. I relax while driving without any pressure or stress because it's different to normal life. I filled my car when the tank is (almost) empty (close to the buffer/reserve).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #5342
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
AP-2 was the original motorway from Lleida to Barcelona, completed in 1977. A-2 wasn't completed until 2004.

No, it wasn't.

AP-2 was started to be built in 1974 and finished in 1979. Km. 0 was in the junction with the Zaragoza-Huesca (that was A-23 / E-07 till 2008)
https://www.google.es/maps/@41.6791465,-0.8751533,16z

If you drive through Zaragoza, take notice that there is no km. 0... because all km. are pointed there. After Alfajarin it shifts to A-2 and with a different km. number.

What I am not sure is about the little stretch to approach Barcelona (from AP-7) but Zaragoza-El Vendrell was opened in 1979

A-2 Fraga-Barcelona was built in several years. I remember driving in 2000 and near Cervera to Martorell remained as N-II and later in july 2002 the overpass of Fraga was opened to traffic.

AP-2 exit to Lérida takes away from the city. It has a free 2x2. I am not sure when it was built the second lane but I would state that around 1990.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

MichiH liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #5343
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
No, the first A2 gas station just west of Z40 was with service.

I passed Zaragossa twice: A23 Huesca-Valencia and A2 Lleida-Madrid.
A-2 to Barcelona has several gas stations. A relative was working in one of them.

And for the next time...

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.60561.../data=!3m1!1e3

Just count how many trucks you have there... As said in Spain, many trucks, good and cheap food (truck drivers will know best stations rather than us)

Quote:
I think not-tolled motorways do also have a lot of gas stations at exits.
Yeah but not many of them.

In the same motorway (A-2) you have one direction Madrid here
https://www.google.es/maps/@41.36438.../data=!3m1!1e3

and I could search for more

but the most common situation you will find is this one

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.30205.../data=!3m1!1e3

(gas station is NOT in the A-2 but in the Cetina-Embid de Ariza A-2501 road. It is very easy to see from anywhere in the A-2 that you have only to take that exit, refuel and keep on again but as can be seen... the station hasn't an exclusive exit)

Quote:
I wondered about these signs. The first signs I noticed were 7-24 so I thought it means 7 days per week a 24 hours.
7-23, not 7-24!!!!, two shifts for workers there: 7-15 and 15-23

It is a common way to say opening schedules in Spain. People is used to see it and do not find strange. Obviously a 7h - 23h wil be easier to understand for everybody

Quote:
I often saw displays like this in Spain and France. I couldn't get the information while driving because it's not enough time to recognize it. I think it's only useful for people who are driving there regularly and know the location.
Not so often in Spain at all. Gas station must show their prices but there is no a global sign for stations in the area. The AP-2 is a special case.

Quote:
In general, I think life is too short to think about thinks like fuel prices. I relax while driving without any pressure or stress because it's different to normal life. I filled my car when the tank is (almost) empty (close to the buffer/reserve).

So do I but when I know that differences are important or I know that there is a station with terribly prices I get the chance.

For instance, every time I go out of my region I try to fuel inside because regional taxes. No need to be just in the border (not so many fuel down till the border) but enough to save some money.

If I go to the coast and I have to make a break I will try to do before fuel gets more expensive and within my city I know two or three gas stations where it is quite cheaper. If I go near those areas I will fill. If I do not, I don't bother.

Old June 10th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #5344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
What I am not sure is about the little stretch to approach Barcelona (from AP-7) but Zaragoza-El Vendrell was opened in 1979
According to my research, AP-2 Soses - El Vendrell opened on 12 July 1976. Alfajarín - Soses opened on 30 April 1977. I used the ABC hemeroteca to find historic opening dates (and some from El País and after 2000 also the Fomento archives).

But I've seen the year 1979 floating around as well. Perhaps some stretches were initially with only one carriageway, although this tends to be unusual for toll road motorways.

Quote:
A-2 Fraga-Barcelona was built in several years. I remember driving in 2000 and near Cervera to Martorell remained as N-II and later in july 2002 the overpass of Fraga was opened to traffic.
Fraga-Oeste - Soses opened on 24 July 2002. However, there was another missing link between Lleida and Barcelona until 2004.

Sant Pere dels Arquells - La Panadella opened on 13 February 2004.
La Panadella - Santa María del Camí opened on 29 July 2004.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #5345
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I am not sure if the motorway had several opening dates... but I have never heard about a 1x1 motorway so consider as 2x2 always. I will try to search on historic maps and should I find more I'll post it.

The km.0 is curious because it doesn't exists!!!!. After Zaragoza you have the km number in the A-2 as starting in Madrid and after Alfajarin exit, AP-2 have the km. number starting in the N-330 (former A-23) junction.

I was so unlucky to cross Fraga the day before A-2 was opened... It is not usual for me to cross it and one of them, the day before having a motorway.

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #5346
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I remember it happened the same with the Sabiñánigo South-Sabiñánigo East section on A-23.
Quote:
Yeah but not many of them.

In the same motorway (A-2) you have one direction Madrid here
https://www.google.es/maps/@41.36438.../data=!3m1!1e3

and I could search for more
I can think of two more: El Navarro, a complete service area (rare sight in a not (physically) tolled motorway) at kmpost 284 near Épila, and a gas station not far from the 'common situation' example you gave, at kmpost 197 near Ariza (Fun fact: they are actually closer than signposted, measured and confirmed by me ).

On Monday evening, not far from the second gas station, two trucks collided and caught fire, resulting in a death. Traffic had to be detoured onto the other carriageway. In such situations I miss a parallel service road.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #5347
Carretero
'Carregoogle' Member

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
And for the next time...

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.60561.../data=!3m1!1e3

Just count how many trucks you have there... As said in Spain, many trucks, good and cheap food (truck drivers will know best stations rather than us)
Probably that is the largest rest area in all Spain. It is situated in such a strategic point (confluence of several of the most important long-distance rutes, and just at the divergence of N-II/AP-2) that it is always really busy.
http://www.hotelrausan.com/en

About the prices, I think they are more or less the same than at other rest areas (not specially cheap), but about the food quality, let me doubt it. I think it is the only rest area I have been to, where when I asked for a loin with cheese sandwich, instead of preparing it at the moment they took a precooked one from a shelf and heated it in the microwave! For me it is enough for not stopping there again.

So I believe that the flow of people is more related to the location than to the quality. Also, a lot of long-distance bus routes stop there, but normally that is not normally associated to the quality but to the size of the facilities.

L&C Productions: I: Torre de Madrid - II: Torre Castilla - III: Torre de Valencia - LCP: Hospital Gómez Ulla
Otros reportajes: Urbanismo atroz en Gamonal (Burgos) - Soria: esa pequeña gran desconocida

"La gente debería venir a la obra de vacaciones en vez de al valle de Ordesa"
(Manolo Melis)
Carretero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #5348
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I remember it happened the same with the Sabiñánigo South-Sabiñánigo East section on A-23.

Yes It did!!!, It is the second (at least) time that I cross somewhere the day before opening a motorway!!!

By the way, N-330 is flooded... I would take only motorway A-23

Old June 11th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #5349
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I had only one gas station with service. On A2 just west of Zaragossa. In general, almost every exit has "gas station" signs but I had bad experience on A8 Santander-Bilbao. Due to the fact that almost every interchange had signs, I tried to wait quite long until I exited. The first gas station was closed. The 2nd gas station was too far from the exit (I saw it from the motorway and it was a too long detour), and there was no gas station at all at the 3rd one but there was a junction with three opportunities. The first was a dead end but it was a very scenic location! Afterwards, I took the road to the coast, I passed a small village but... No gas station. And the road led backwards. I took the uphill road and drove on a small road next to the motorway. The gas station was exactly at the next exit about 2-3km ahead .
There's a trick to know if the gas station is right after the exit or not: If it's signed 1.250 / 750 m before the exit, then you'll have to take another road to reach it. If it's signed 1.000 m / 500 m before the exit, then it's next to the motorway.

Spain is still way below many European countries when it comes to service areas. French service areas are almost like mini-cities. They have everything a traveller may need and in addition they look neat.

In Spain, however, you still have to rely on the old gas stations/restaurants that are located next to national roads. Even if you're lucky to find a service area that is right next to the motorway, there are high chances that the car park is full of rubbish, with weed growing uncontrollably. Sometimes they look worn out and untidy and everything is twice the price than in a normal supermarket.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #5350
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I remember once travelling from northern France to Catalonia a long time ago.

In French motorways, stop areas (I do not know how to translate) had several facilities and I remember making a little pique-nique before noon to have a rest. They said always that several km. after you had a gas station (with all facilities).

Crossing the border and...

- "stop areas" point (with a pannel) that they are planned for a short stop only. There are no toilets there for instance.
- "gas stations" are "normal". Not many facilities. Should I have to do a 2-3 hours journey, could be fine. Should I have to drive more than 1000 km I would expect to find "little cities" somewhere

(and in AP-2 and AP-7 there are three stations with a hotel, at least. No need to exit motorway to find a hotel)

Old June 11th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #5351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some rest areas I visited along autovías in Spain were quite nice nonetheless. A little shop, cafeteria, clean toilets.

One of the best I've seen was along A-8 at Unquera. According to Google Earth it was built after 2009.

Many were just 'meh'. Not really bad but not very good for long-distance travelers either. Some had shaded parking. Many supermarkets also have shaded parking. One campsite I visited had shaded pitches (there aren't many trees in Cabo de Gata).
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #5352
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Cabo de Gata

A video of road AL-5107 along the coast of Cabo de Gata natural park, from Carboneras north to near Mojácar. I also filmed it southbound, which will be a separate video. It's a quite spectacular road, and the road is of a higher standard than its 4-digit road number may suggest.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, verreme liked this post
Old June 13th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #5353
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What's the difference between;

* Arroyo
* Barranca
* Rivera
* Río
* Riera

They are all some kind of (dry) river. I've seen these posted at bridges in Spain.
There is also the Catalan word areny, which is derived from the latin word areneus which mean sand. Areny is the Catalan word used before the Arabic word rambla took over.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #5354
joinmanzano
Register Usered

Although 'rivera' - a very uncommon word in Spanish - means creek, it is also how are called some rivers in western Sierra Morena - the mountainous area between Badajoz, Huelva and Seville provinces - like the Rivera de Huelva, which cross A-66 in Seville Province. It was an underpopulated area until English companies arrived there in the 19th Century, due to metal extraction, so that word possibly has its origin in the English word 'river', instead of the Spanish word 'rivera'.

sus flancos el trozo andaluz del planeta. Hacia 1900, como tantas otras cosas, cambia ésta. El Norte se incorpora.
-José Ortega y Gasset, Teoría de Andalucía (1927)
joinmanzano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #5355
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I was also on a road trip (partially) in Spain this week. We rented a car in Seville and drove about 1,200 km in Andalusia (6 days). Mostly agree with comments from Chris and others above. Quality of roads tends to be pretty good, but there are some short sections with bad pavement. We didn't drive on any toll roads, but lot's of places where two cars barely fit on the road. There is indeed a serious overkill of signs including name signs of every non-existing creek. Compared to Switzerland highways outside cities are virtually empty.

Regarding foreign cars a parking lot in La Linea next to Gibraltar border was full with them. Even saw some from Scandinavia.

adevahi liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #5356
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #5357
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
There is indeed a serious overkill of signs including name signs of every non-existing creek.
They exist in winter
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #5358
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

More motorway videos from Bilbao

First one features two of the main entrances to town, Artxanda tunnels and the new access from A-8 -complete with an awesome sound barrier tunnel:

And the second one is the road that connects downtown with the airport, which is actually a mountain pass, and a dual carriageway that's the main connection of the Eastern quarters with the motorways. There's also a tiny 4-level stack interchange:

Old June 20th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #5359
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-7 Motril - Nerja

I also made a new video, of A-7 along the south coast of Andalusia, from A-44 at Motril to Nerja. A scenic route with some views of the Mediterranean Sea. The coast in this area is not as developed as south of Málaga.

Old June 20th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #5360
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

You can take the C-32 south of Barcelona (instead of AP-7). You will have scenic views too but it will be much more expensive in that stretch due to tunnels

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida