daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #5381
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

When coming from Santander, signage is trying really hard to let you use the SuperSur. I ignored it, at one point there was only 'A-8' that I followed, no through destinations are posted until you're almost at AP-68.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #5382
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

It's the same if you're coming from France via Irún and want to go to Vitoria-Gasteiz or Burgos. If you follow the signage, you end up in the tolled AP-1 instead of the toll-free A-1.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #5383
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Do you mean at Torreblanca onwards towards Torremolinos? If so, yes, I know - it's an idiotic move. The whole road has been decimated, even though there's no real reason for it. Thankfully, they've left the old N-340 alone between Torremolinos and the airport - but I have a feeling that it might be next for some stupid decisions.

They already downgraded the "actual" Avenida de Velázquez to I think 2+2 from 4+4... The expressway segment that u mean carries some 130 000 ADT, so you need a really crazy Green politician from Barcelona to dismantle that one But where does all this greenery come from in Spain, the land of the motorways??
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #5384
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Two questions;

* Is AP-2 in Barcelona really renumbered to B-23 as Spanish Wikipedia states? I passed there 3 weeks ago and it was still signed as AP-2 from AP-7.
It still exists a section of AP-2 near Barcelona that runs from AP-7 El Papiol interchange to Molins de Rei. Then it continues labeled as B-23.

Wikipedia states

Quote:
La B-23 comienza al final de la Avinguda Diagonal y se dirige paralela a la Autovia A-2 y al río Llobregat hasta Molins de Rey, donde cambia la nomenclatura a AP-2 y poco después acaba entroncando con la AP-7 a la altura de El Papiol.
Here you have the AP-2 section, it is only 4,5 km long

https://goo.gl/maps/pO3bG
Vignole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #5385
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

My two last Basque motorway videos:

There are plans for N-636/GI-632 corridor between Durango and Beasain to become a motorway, and Diputación Foral de Gipuzkoa is building the last stretch on their province (there are some problems with the contract though). In Bizkaia things are also moving with the construction of N-636 between A-8 and Elorrio bypass, but the last and most complex stretch (Kanpazar mountain pass) has no schedule.

Diputación Foral de Bizkaia has a long waiting list of road projects. The most notable one is the next phase of "Supersur", in which they show little interest (although it could make the existing road profitable, because it would be a real alternative to A-8). Then there is N-636, and also Bilbao's Eastern bypass, a motorway that would "close" an inner ringroad of Bilbao and relieve this congested stretch of N-634. However, the enormous debt that "Supersur" created has creeped them out a bit.

As for Etxegarate mountain pass (second video) is Spain's last "quirky" motorway mountain pass now that A-4 through Despeñaperros is no longer a rollercoaster.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 01:37 PM   #5386
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-7, Valencia

I put together a new video of A-7 around the city of Valencia. The amount of trucks is quite high.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Autoputevi kao hobi liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:24 PM   #5387
BlackC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 908

Hi people, does anyone know how the situation is on the AP1 from San Sebastian to vitoria with the landslide?

Did they remove all dirt yet or will it take longer than expected?
BlackC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #5388
Highway89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackC View Post
Hi people, does anyone know how the situation is on the AP1 from San Sebastian to vitoria with the landslide?

Did they remove all dirt yet or will it take longer than expected?
Hi.

The southbound carriageway is closed. The northern carriageway is used for both directions (1 lane each) for 2 km.

You can have a look at this video, filmed by the forumer Alsama, from 1:12:00 to 1:14:22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeFFwL8026M
Old July 4th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #5389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-7 Valencia - Xàtiva

Some photos of A-7 from Valencia to Xàtiva. It is equipped with six lanes. I haven't been able to find much historical data on this section of A-7, but it is one of the oldest, and maybe the oldest segment of A-7. I suspect it was built in the 1980s, possibly early 1980s (predating most other non-toll autovías in the region). It carries a high volume of trucks. The exit numbering was recently changed (it used to be in the 800s).

A7-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-17 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-19 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-21 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-22 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-23 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-26 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-29 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-30 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-32 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-34 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-36 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-38 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-42 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-45 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-46 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old July 4th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #5390
RV

I guess the oldest section of A-7 would be around Costa del Sol.
Old July 4th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #5391
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Marbella - Fuengirola opened in 1988 and is the oldest section of A-7 in Andalusia. It was a conversion of N-340.

A-7 Canals - Silla opened in the 1980s, half on a new alignment (around towns) and half across existing N-340. It was later widened to six lanes, near Valencia at least before 2001, around L'Alcudia and near Xàtiva in 2008.
Old July 4th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #5392
BlackC
BANNED

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Hi.

The southbound carriageway is closed. The northern carriageway is used for both directions (1 lane each) for 2 km.

You can have a look at this video, filmed by the forumer Alsama, from 1:12:00 to 1:14:22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeFFwL8026M
Okay thanks for your answer.
Any idea when it will be normal again? I read 15 July on a Spanish website, but perhaps there might be delay?

I think there will be a traffic jam in the summer months there because of the tourists, no?

Alserrod adviced me to take the N1/A1 but that curvy part scares me a bit. Also looks like the state of the autovia is rather poor? Last thing I can use is a flat tire because of poor asphalt.

Last edited by BlackC; July 4th, 2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old July 5th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #5393
RV

Quote:
Marbella - Fuengirola opened in 1988 and is the oldest section of A-7 in Andalusia. It was a conversion of N-340.

A-7 Canals - Silla opened in the 1980s, half on a new alignment (around towns) and half across existing N-340. It was later widened to six lanes, near Valencia at least before 2001, around L'Alcudia and near Xàtiva in 2008.
Unbeliavable that such a shitty section was opened as late as 1988... Our gardener in our Spanish residence says that Fuengirola-Torremolinos hasd been for a very long time there (he is nearly 70 yrs), before converting it into a 2+2/2+1 speed-bump-street.

Are u sure it wasn't just the much better and hard-to-build-urban elevated expressway in Fuengirola/Las Lagunas that opened in 1988?
Old July 5th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #5394
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Unbeliavable that such a shitty section was opened as late as 1988... Our gardener in our Spanish residence says that Fuengirola-Torremolinos hasd been for a very long time there (he is nearly 70 yrs), before converting it into a 2+2/2+1 speed-bump-street.

Are u sure it wasn't just the much better and hard-to-build-urban elevated expressway in Fuengirola/Las Lagunas that opened in 1988?
I think it might refer to the upgraded N-340 rather than anything else. It's hard to tell now, but I remember the N-340 from the early 90's between Fuengirola and Marbella and there was considerably less development than now. I drove the A-7 along the coast a few months ago, and my wife was sick of me constantly expressing "wow...look how much is here now" every two minutes.

It's certainly mostly unrecognisable from my memories, especially around Calahonda. So at the time in 1988, the N-340 would've been fairly decent with the separated junctions and so on.

It's funny, the A-7 seems terrible today, but it really was a decent road back in the early to mid 90's. The worst problems were through Marbella (speaking of which, the road through San Pedro de la Alacantra shocked me for how good it is now!) in the past, especially once the Benalmadena bypass was opened. After Estapona was also a disaster with the old single carriageway road.

I was thinking about it, and I just can't see what they can do with the A-7 now. There's possibly some room to expand to 2x3 in places, and perhaps some of the most dangerous parts (such as the curves just west of Fuengirola) could be completely realigned, but the amount of residential areas now developed there makes it nearly impossible to do much. Of course - removing the tolls between Fuengirola and Marbella would certainly help!
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #5395
Highway89

Quote:
O

Okay thanks for your answer.
Any idea when it will be normal again? I read 15 July on a Spanish website, but perhaps there might be delay?

I think there will be a traffic jam in the summer months there because of the tourists, no?

Alserrod adviced me to take the N1/A1 but that curvy part scares me a bit. Also looks like the state of the autovia is rather poor? Last thing I can use is a flat tire because of poor asphalt.
I don't really know when it will be repaired, but I don't think traffic on the AP-1 will be a problem. You'll probably waste more time on toll gates at the border.

The N-I hasn't got the best asphalt and there's that curvy part, but let's not be exaggerated. Thousands of cars use it every day without any problem. Just follow the speed limit signs.

Anyway, are you going to Vitoria or are you planning to continue your journey further? If the second, I'd recommend you take the AP-1 instead. It's got fewer trucks and it's more relaxed to drive.
Old July 5th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #5396
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
It's hard to tell now, but I remember the N-340 from the early 90's between Fuengirola and Marbella and there was considerably less development than now. I drove the A-7 along the coast a few months ago, and my wife was sick of me constantly expressing "wow...look how much is here now" every two minutes.
That part of the coast is really overdeveloped. If you drive on A-7 from the east towards Málaga, you can see the city and nothing but resorts beyond it. That kind of mass tourism is really not my thing.
Old July 5th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #5397
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
That part of the coast is really overdeveloped. If you drive on A-7 from the east towards Málaga, you can see the city and nothing but resorts beyond it. That kind of mass tourism is really not my thing.
Agree completely. On our recent Andalusia trip we purposefully took a detour via Ronda and some inland villages to avoid this stretch of the coastline. The Atlantic coastline on other hand is much nicer.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #5398
BlackC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
I don't really know when it will be repaired, but I don't think traffic on the AP-1 will be a problem. You'll probably waste more time on toll gates at the border.

The N-I hasn't got the best asphalt and there's that curvy part, but let's not be exaggerated. Thousands of cars use it every day without any problem. Just follow the speed limit signs.

Anyway, are you going to Vitoria or are you planning to continue your journey further? If the second, I'd recommend you take the AP-1 instead. It's got fewer trucks and it's more relaxed to drive.
Yes I will go to algeciras. Hmm thanks for the advice. You re saying the opposite of alserrod who advised me to go via the N1 to save time and money.
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #5399
Highway89

Quote:
Yes I will go to algeciras. Hmm thanks for the advice. You re saying the opposite of alserrod who advised me to go via the N1 to save time and money.
It all depends on your preferences or how tired you are when you arrive to Donostia/San Sebastián. If I were to travel only from San Sebastián to Vitoria (no further), I'd normally take the N-I. However, if my final destination were Algeciras, I personally wouldn't mind paying for a toll if that will provide a safer, more relaxed journey.

BlackC liked this post
Old July 5th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #5400
RV

Quote:
I think it might refer to the upgraded N-340 rather than anything else. It's hard to tell now, but I remember the N-340 from the early 90's between Fuengirola and Marbella and there was considerably less development than now. I drove the A-7 along the coast a few months ago, and my wife was sick of me constantly expressing "wow...look how much is here now" every two minutes.

It's certainly mostly unrecognisable from my memories, especially around Calahonda. So at the time in 1988, the N-340 would've been fairly decent with the separated junctions and so on.

It's funny, the A-7 seems terrible today, but it really was a decent road back in the early to mid 90's. The worst problems were through Marbella (speaking of which, the road through San Pedro de la Alacantra shocked me for how good it is now!) in the past, especially once the Benalmadena bypass was opened. After Estapona was also a disaster with the old single carriageway road.

I was thinking about it, and I just can't see what they can do with the A-7 now. There's possibly some room to expand to 2x3 in places, and perhaps some of the most dangerous parts (such as the curves just west of Fuengirola) could be completely realigned, but the amount of residential areas now developed there makes it nearly impossible to do much. Of course - removing the tolls between Fuengirola and Marbella would certainly help!
I used to live a little time in Calahonda! I remember being terrified when mum drove me to school and she had to get on to the "autovía".

Fuengirola by-pass supports 60 000-80 000 ADT and should be upgraded to 2x3.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida