daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #5441
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Yet another pointless airport without planes, like Castellón. Huesca and Ciudad Real actually had a few.

Regarding AADT, I was surprised to find a section of A-2 in Soria province, more precisely between Medinaceli and Arcos de Jalón, which doesn't reach 10000 vehicles per day. This is where traffic counts stop dropping and start rising steadily towards Zaragoza. Even an hypothetical A-2 through the middle of nowhere (i.e. between Pina de Ebro and Fraga), assuming no AP-2, would carry more traffic.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #5442
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

I do not recall any indication of a Greenwich Meridian along AP-7. It would be near Castellón.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #5443
CNGL
Leudimin

Nor on A-22 West of Barbastro. But it is signed on N-420 near its junction with N-232.

I actually went to hunt the IERS Reference Meridian (the GPS zero, which is 5 arcseconds East of Greenwich) and found it just outside Berbegal (which explains why I call it the Berbegal meridian).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old July 12th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #5444
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I do not recall any indication of a Greenwich Meridian along AP-7. It would be near Castellón.
In the N420 you can find a little stop area called "greenwich" in the exact point where meridian crosses the road. It is pointed 500m before

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #5445
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

I wonder whether there's any sign indicating the 45th parallel north.

Curiously, the point in which the Greenwich meridian meets the 45th parallel is almost exactly on the French A89 just south of Saint-Seurin-sur-l'Isle, although there doesn't seem to be any kind of indication. They could build a rest stop or a park or something there.

Last edited by Highway89; July 12th, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #5446
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
I wonder whether there's any sign indicating the 45th parallel north.

Curiously, the point in which the Greenwich meridian meets the 45th parallel is almost exactly on the French A89 just south of Saint-Seurin-sur-l'Isle, although there doesn't seem to be any kind of indication. They could build a rest stop or a park or something there.
Is the 45th parallel some special great circle? I mean in the astronomical sense...
Old July 12th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #5447
Suburbanist
on the road

Are there any plans to close the small gap between AP-64 and AP-9 in Ferrol?
Old July 12th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #5448
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is the 45th parallel some special great circle? I mean in the astronomical sense...
It's the parallel that divides each hemisphere in 2 parts. The Equator is the parallel 0, poles are the "90th parallel". I'm not sure about the astronomical importance, though. I guess it's the tropics and the artic/antartic circles that are important. Nevertheless, the Greenwich meridian has no astronomical importance either, as far as I know.

Suburbanist liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #5449
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Have there ever been plans to build a direct road link from Cádiz/Jerez de la Frontera to Huelva? Right now there is no road link across the Guadalquivir River until Sevilla. Apparently there are no local ferry routes either.
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #5450
ajch

Likes (Received): 75

Plan yes, even part of the road link was build in the province of Huelva, but was never finished. The road build was renamed and forgotten in the regional network.

There is a big problem, and is that Doñana national park is in the middle, and its protecction area goes near Sevilla following the guadalquivir river, so the only avalaible solution is the SE-40 if one day we have the money to finish it
ajch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #5451
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Are there any plans to close the small gap between AP-64 and AP-9 in Ferrol?
AP-64? There's no such thing, only toll-free A-64 in Asturias. Besides that, I'm sure you meant AG-64, also without tolls.
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #5452
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Quote:
Have there ever been plans to build a direct road link from Cádiz/Jerez de la Frontera to Huelva? Right now there is no road link across the Guadalquivir River until Sevilla. Apparently there are no local ferry routes either.
As said, it never will be done because of the protected area in Doñana.

Maybe, in 200 years, we can construct a direct 80km bridge from Sanlúcar de Barrameda to Huelva over the sea or a tunnel at 100m ¿below/under? the ground.
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #5453
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And it was under project.

But they have to cross a long way over a national park and via Seville is not so longer.
So I guess we will never see it. In addition, people don't go exactly to Cadiz but to the area. This is, less distance if we consider Jerez, for instance

Ferries???

I am not sure... but I think that there are no ferries in Spain within the same coast.
To be honest, the only exemption is a Barcelona-Genoa (which obviously both of them are in the Mediterranean). The rest... inner Balearic, inner Canary (here we can have some calls in the same island but they will be always a ferry between islands), Santander & Bilbao - England, eastern peninsula-Balearic islands, southern peninsula - Northern Africa (Morocco, Ceuta and Melilla). For a while they had a France-Melilla.
And some Barcelona-Sardegna and Genoa

Except the case of Barcelona-Genoa, all of them are different coasts.

Old July 13th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #5454
CNGL
Leudimin

I remember taking a Livorno-Barcelona ferry. There is also a Civitavecchia-Barcelona one.
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #5455
Suburbanist
on the road

Is there any river car ferry in Spain though?
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #5456
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Is there any river car ferry in Spain though?

I think that only this one remains....

It is located in Miravet, Catalonia, over the Ebro river. You can reach this former Templer town and castle by road in the other side of the river or... crossing with a little ferry.

In the Ebro delta there was another one before they built a new bridge (in Sant Jaume d'Enveja) and upper Zaragoza, near Remolinos there is a cable ferry (quite single one) that has no use since a bridge was opened but still could be used.

But... think that the only river where big ships can sail is in the Guadalquivir up to Seville. The other cases, sometimes a reservoir or the own Ebro river for a sightseen tour. Nothing else.

Old July 13th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #5457
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

There have been quite a few road openings in Spain these last weeks. This is the long-awaited BU-30:

More crazy Spanish road signs for ya

(source).

This stretch connects the new A-73 motorway with the rest of the network, and provides a motorway-standard bypass for traffic going to Santander via Burgos. They added a new carriageway to the existing road, plus a new interchange with A-73. It then continues The rest of Burgos ringroad (BU-30) is U/C and scheduled to open next year.

Another opening has been A-334 Albox bypass. This stretch connects two other ones, and in the opening ceremony Junta de Andalucía also stated that works for the following stretch (the one connecting this isolated motorway with A-7) will start later this year. I couldn't find any pictures of this road. I found nothing of the new A-491 in Rota, either.

Little by little, road construction is picking up the pace again -let's hope that it's not just a matter of the elections being close and that the new government, whatever its color is, keeps up with it.

MichiH, pai nosso liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #5458
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Little by little, road construction is picking up the pace again -let's hope that it's not just a matter of the elections being close and that the new government, whatever its color is, keeps up with it.
If you look at the past 25 years, you can see both PP and PSOE championed road construction in Spain. I went over many articles from the ABC archives about how each minister was building roads, regardless of party affiliation.

I'm guessing PSOE may be one of the best center-left parties for roads in Europe. In many countries the social democrates tend to follow the greens who vehemently oppose any improvement in road infrastructure, especially in the northern half of Europe, but also in France.

You can clearly see Spanish road construction picking up again. In 2011-2013 many road projects were frozen and contracts were canceled to save money. Right now the Spanish economy is growing quite fast and - as I've read - adding more jobs than with previous recoveries. Of course the road to economic recovery is long, but Spain has some good assets, including its large network of motorways that makes the economy more competitive.

Especially compared to Greece, which is heavily in debt but still doesn't have a full motorway between the two largest cities, with many large areas still unconnected to the motorway network. You constantly read how Greece spent huge amounts of money on infrastructure. But where is all this infrastructure? Greece's infrastructure is much less developed than Spain, Portugal or Italy. Also, Spain entered the late 2000s recession with a much lower public debt than other problematic countries.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Viva_Bulgaria, RV liked this post
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #5459
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
If you look at the past 25 years, you can see both PP and PSOE championed road construction in Spain. I went over many articles from the ABC archives about how each minister was building roads, regardless of party affiliation.

I'm guessing PSOE may be one of the best center-left parties for roads in Europe. In many countries the social democrates tend to follow the greens who vehemently oppose any improvement in road infrastructure, especially in the northern half of Europe, but also in France.

You can clearly see Spanish road construction picking up again. In 2011-2013 many road projects were frozen and contracts were canceled to save money. Right now the Spanish economy is growing quite fast and - as I've read - adding more jobs than with previous recoveries. Of course the road to economic recovery is long, but Spain has some good assets, including its large network of motorways that makes the economy more competitive.

Especially compared to Greece, which is heavily in debt but still doesn't have a full motorway between the two largest cities, with many large areas still unconnected to the motorway network. You constantly read how Greece spent huge amounts of money on infrastructure. But where is all this infrastructure? Greece's infrastructure is much less developed than Spain, Portugal or Italy. Also, Spain entered the late 2000s recession with a much lower public debt than other problematic countries.
Most political parties are indeed supporting major road projects and it's difficult for such a "cultural" thing to change radically even if the new government does (you can't just change all politicians and lobbies). However, it is unclear if they will keep the taps open. It's not uncommon for new Spanish governments to stall large projects at the beginning of the term, only to hurry up when elections are near to be sure that it's them in the final picture. It's not hard to see that roads are opened and contracts are awarded in election years -and I guess the next government will follow a similar policy.

The comparison with Greece is a bit pointless -we are in a completely different situation, even if recession hit us hard and unemployment is sky-high.
Old July 13th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #5460
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
AP-64? There's no such thing, only toll-free A-64 in Asturias. Besides that, I'm sure you meant AG-64, also without tolls.
Yes, I meant a connection to close this gap

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida