daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #5461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A-92 Tabernas - Almería

I made a video of autovía A-92 from Tabernas to Almería, through the Tabernas Desert. This is one of the few places in Europe that look like the American Southwest.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos, Peines liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #5462
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is one of the few places in Europe that look like the American Southwest.
Very. > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058461/locations and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059578/locations
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #5463
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

in Villastar, close to N-330 near Teruel

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

Suburbanist, Wolfgang16 liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #5464
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Spain is indeed quite peculiar in terms of landscape, thanks to which -in addition to cheap labour force- it was chosen for the filming of several Spaghetti Westerns. Two years ago I visited the filming location of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly near Salas de los Infantes, Burgos. It was quite a beautiful experience for a fan of such films. Here's a fan-made video (not mine)

BTW, I've noticed that Google Street View has been updated recently. Now, the junction between the A-12 and the LO-20 is available: https://goo.gl/maps/GeuOS

However, it seems that some roads have become unavailable (?). For instance, this whole area that used to be available until today:
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #5465
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3931

Quote:
I made a video of autovía A-92 from Tabernas to Almería, through the Tabernas Desert. This is one of the few places in Europe that look like the American Southwest.
Indeed. The whole Spanish Southeast (more or less from Granada to Alicante) looks very much like the scenery of Western movies (well, as others said, several were shot there).

Actually when I visited California, Nevada and Arizona I was less impressed by the desert-like landscape than my travel companions, having spent most holidays during my childhood in my grandparent's village in the Northeast of Granada province.

Bertolt Brecht

Bitxofo, solchante liked this post

Last edited by arctic_carlos; July 15th, 2015 at 01:08 AM.
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:01 AM   #5466
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Indeed. The whole Spanish Southeast (more or less from Granada to Alicante) looks very much like the scenery of Western movies (well, as others said, several were shot there).
I would say that all the really great Westerns, apart from John Fords westerns were made in the area around the Tabernas desert.

Even by the time Sergio Leone had a choice of _any_ desert he wanted he still used Tabernas. > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/locations
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #5467
ChrisZwolle
Road user

AP-41 traffic volumes 500 vehicles per day!

Old July 15th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #5468
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

I guess actually these sections support lower volumes because this map is from 2013 when the average traffic volume for the full length of 50 km was 1.316 but in 2014 was 755!!

http://www.fomento.gob.es/BE/?nivel=2&orden=06000000
Vignole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #5469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-7 Alicante - Murcia

Some photos of A-7 between Alicante and Murcia. The first section up to the AP-7 turnoff features 2x3 lanes. The rest has 2x2 lanes.

A7-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-15 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-16 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-18 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-22 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-25 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-27 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-29 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-30 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-32 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-34 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-36 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-41 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-42 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-45 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-48 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7-49 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #5470
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

You were lucky with traffic -when I drive there, most of the time I can't do more than 100 km/h. Hopefully A-33 will change this situation.

A-7 between Alicante and Murcia is built to a higher standard than contemporany (1989) autovías -most likely to autopista standards. It doesn't use the alignment of N-340, and bends are barely noticeable when compared to the "esses" of first-generation autovías as they bypass a village. South of Murcia it suddenly becomes a rubbish piece of motorway.

arctic_carlos liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #5471
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
You were lucky with traffic -when I drive there, most of the time I can't do more than 100 km/h. Hopefully A-33 will change this situation.

A-7 between Alicante and Murcia is built to a higher standard than contemporany (1989) autovías -most likely to autopista standards. It doesn't use the alignment of N-340, and bends are barely noticeable when compared to the "esses" of first-generation autovías as they bypass a village. South of Murcia it suddenly becomes a rubbish piece of motorway.
It was signed as Autopista from El Campello Toll Plaza until Murcia A-30 interchange, but someone downgraded it to Autovia for some random reason some years ago, probably the same guy who misspell some names of villages along that section of A-7

Even this stretch followed the old exit numbers in the original A-7 starting in La Jonquera.

Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #5472
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
I noticed that as well. Do you know if this section of A-7 was ever tolled? Some interchanges have been reconfigured over the past 10 years. Could there have been an open barrier tolling system? Though I did not saw any physical evidence of that.
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #5473
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

It was never tolled, although since its construction its name was A-7, something unusual in that time, when most toll-free sections along the Mediterranean coast retained the old name N-340 when they were converted into autovías. The section that was upgraded was only between Alicante and AP-7 turnoff, where it was upgraded to 2x3. Between AP-7 turnoff and Murcia only minor upgrading (e.g. new asphalt) has taken place.

As user Peines points out, A-7 between Alicante and Murcia was built as a toll-free autopista, a continuation of former A-7 (today's AP-7) between Valencia and Alicante, rather than as an autovía. During the 80s and 90s construction of autovías consisted basically of adding a second carriageway to old national roads. Hence the bad alignment of A-7 (former N-340) between Murcia and Almería or of A-31 between Alicante and Albacete, and there are many more examples in radial autovías.

A-49 between Seville and Huelva is also a good example of toll-free autopista built at that time, as well as Valencia by-pass.

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #5474
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A-7 from Murcia to Almería didn't strike me as very substandard though. The frequency of exits is quite high, but otherwise it is very adequate.

The only thing that really lacks in Spain are decent rest areas along autovías. A gas station alone is not sufficient for long-distance travel (especially for families).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old July 15th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #5475
Highway89

There is a number of Autopistas that were never tolled. Namely the A-66/A-8 between Gijón, Avilés and Oviedo in Asturias, the A-49 Sevilla-Huelva, A-8 Bilbao-Santander, A-67 Santander-Torrelavega or A-31 Honrubia-Albacete.

As opposed to the Autovías which were being built at that time, these had a completely new allignment.

Old July 15th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #5476
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
The A-7 from Murcia to Almería didn't strike me as very substandard though. The frequency of exits is quite high, but otherwise it is very adequate.
Maybe I exaggerated a little bit.

It's not substandard, but you easily realise it's an old national road where a second carriageway was added and by-passes to avoid towns were built. As a consequence you find very often have exits to restaurants and gas stations located at the very edge of the highway.

Likewise, the road bends before and after every town or village that needed to be avoided by the new highway, involving a reduction of speed (albeit not considerable, most times). You can easily see that in A-7 between Valencia and Xàtiva, although at least there the motorway was widened to 2x3.

In state-of-the-art motorways the layout of the old national road is usually kept for farm vehicles, cyclists and local traffic, and therefore there is no need to build exits in the main motorway so often. In the same way, motorways are not usually built so close to towns and there is thus no need to have tight curves entailing speed reductions.

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #5477
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
The only thing that really lacks in Spain are decent rest areas along autovías. A gas station alone is not sufficient for long-distance travel (especially for families).
Probably because we don't like rest areas as we can see in other countries: here we prefer to stop in a rural bar-restaurant in a rural area (like Venta or Meson), or even in a small town outside the motorway, to make a rest.

More quality, local products, homemade food, tradition, history, cheaper...

Anyway Mesones where the rest areas in the past times, when all was Roman Roads and horses.

Wolfgang16, RV liked this post
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #5478
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

So I was watching this documentary on sinkholes and 26 min into the video they show a huge one right next to A-23 north of Zaragoza, it is absolutely massive and right next to the road at this location 41°54'21.2"N 0°45'32.2"W.

It is shown in this video around 26 min in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFbKw2cxFg

I guess they will have to rebuild this stretch of road in the future, wonder who was the jackass that green lit the routing in the first place knowing that the sinkhole existed

Last edited by gincan; July 16th, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #5479
Highway89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peines View Post
Probably because we don't like rest areas as we can see in other countries: here we prefer to stop in a rural bar-restaurant in a rural area (like Venta or Meson), or even in a small town outside the motorway, to make a rest.

More quality, local products, homemade food, tradition, history, cheaper...

Anyway Mesones where the rest areas in the past times, when all was Roman Roads and horses.
It's not that we don't like proper rest areas. We simply don't have a choice. It's a consequence of how our network developed.

Besides, this is not France or Germany with millions of foreign drivers on their motorways. Most tourists come to Spain by plane and stay in a resort or visit different cities in previously arranged tours. Traditionally, there has been little demand for such rest areas. But it's shocking that in a country that depends so much on tourism you can't still find enough rest areas with a European timetable or with someone who speaks English.

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #5480
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
So I was watching this documentary on sinkholes and 26 min into the video they show a huge one right next to A-23 north of Zaragoza, it is absolutely massive and right next to the road at this location 41°54'21.2"N 0°45'32.2"W.

It is shown in this video around 26 min in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFbKw2cxFg

I guess they will have to rebuild this stretch of road in the future, wonder who was the jackass that green lit the routing in the first place knowing that the sinkhole existed
The Puilatos thing (I guessed it correctly), it even has swallowed a village. I drove there yet again yesterday. A-23 sinks there, they repair it and again sinks. And it has been rebuilt already twice.
Quote:
As Peines pointed out, we like to do some tourism in route. A relative had to do some Huesca-Toledo trips, and she always stopped at Santa Maria de Huerta (The very first town after finally leaving Aragon). As for me, if I have to drive to Madrid I have already selected the town where I would stop. That hono(u)r has fallen to Ariza, exactly halfway between Huesca and Madrid.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Peines liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida