daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #5521
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickman View Post
One should not even smell it . I wonder how the plant can survive without water.
Since several decades minds have changed and decoration (not only in roads but in general) is focused in local plants. There are someones quite cool and without maintenance. It is enough to ask for local plants.

A long time ago I remember trying to set grass everywhere. In Spain it is a waste of time. A lot of water and never will be OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
They're poison if you eat them... I don't think you stop in the middle of the motorway to eat some leaves on a tree...

Some years ago some teens dead due to a sort of "coffee" done with a poison plant. It was absolutely unknown till then and I got notice that besides my home I had one of that plant...

Obviously not poison if you do not eat (or drink) it

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #5522
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
They're poison if you eat them... I don't think you stop in the middle of the motorway to eat some leaves on a tree...
Well, you'll never know... People do drive their cars onto railroads or into subway tunnels because their GPS says so. People do pretty stupid stuff.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #5523
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N-340a Tabernas Desert

Some scenes of N-340a in the Tabernas Desert.

Tabernas-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Tabernas-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

Tabernas-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

Tabernas-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

Tabernas-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

Tabernas-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

solchante liked this post
Old July 29th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #5524
ajch

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A-2 / A-15 interchange at Medinaceli will be in augurated this afternoon.
A very important inaguration. Now all the provincial capitals are connected to the network (in the mainland)

solchante liked this post
ajch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #5525
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:

Tabernas-5 by European Roads, on Flickr
Funny, imagine some other flags and this scene looks very much like a Moroccan route nationale.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #5526
GYN1997

Likes (Received): 148

i used to lurk around before signing up on this forum, i like infrastructure stuff and maps
i have a 1992 Michelin Europe road atlas my parents gave me and I like to compare how things were then and now, Spain is the country with most changes

are all roads numbered with AP prefix tolled?
if a road with tolls became free, would it get an A prefix?
GYN1997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #5527
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Strongly yes.

Besides my city, AP-68 had 3,5 km free and was set as A-68 after 2004

Old July 30th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #5528
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYN1997 View Post
i used to lurk around before signing up on this forum, i like infrastructure stuff and maps
i have a 1992 Michelin Europe road atlas my parents gave me and I like to compare how things were then and now, Spain is the country with most changes

are all roads numbered with AP prefix tolled?
if a road with tolls became free, would it get an A prefix?
AP-> Autopista de Peaje

Autopista~Highway
Peaje=Tolled
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #5529
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevahi View Post
Autopista~Highway
A motorway would be a better translation. Autopista is a very restrictive word to which it applies, while highway (carretera) is very general and can mean any type of public road, including secondary two-lane roads.

Although autopistas are generally toll roads, they do have some toll-free sections. For instance the Barcelona bypass is untolled but numbered AP-7. In addition, not all toll roads are numbered with the AP-prefix. In particular around Barcelona there are a lot of tolled motorways with a C-number.
Old July 30th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #5530
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

The nightmare of C-...

All roads and motorways depending of Catalonian government are C-XX (main network) and never mind if it is a single road, a motorway or a tolled motorway. If motorway... signs in blue. If tolled, additional toll sign. That's all.

C-32 will be tolled in the tunnel area southern Barcelona, free in the Sitges by-pass and tolled again till AP-7. but... you will always have clear if you have to pay or you have another road to avoid the toll.

M-12 and R-X in the surroundings of Madrid are also tolled, Galician network AG-XX can be also tolled and... to my best knowledge, Basque country tolled motorways are AP-XX
In Navarra you have only the AP-15. Therefore, no questions about.

And in other sites... I do not remember any motorway even managed by regional governments, even by central government but as local motorway, with a different name (not AP-XX)

Old July 30th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #5531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
If motorway... signs in blue.
I found this one of the downsides of the Spanish signage and numbering system. The road number is no clear indication of the road standard, as regional autovías can have just about any road number prefix (C, CV, V, EX, B, CM, CL, AG, SE, M, etc.)

But the signage is not clear either. All exit signs are blue, except the final sign at the off ramp. So the only way to tell if an intersecting road is a motorway is if the very last sign is blue or white.
Old July 30th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #5532
sotonsi

Quote:
I found this one of the downsides of the Spanish signage and numbering system. The road number is no clear indication of the road standard, as regional autovías can have just about any road number prefix (C, CV, V, EX, B, CM, CL, AG, SE, M, etc.)
And while Catalunya colors by quality - eg C16 has red 'shields' (for want of a better term) on the non-motorway sections and blue ones for the autovia/autopista sections - many of the other communities don't.

Andalucia colours by importance and has orange shields on the major non-national routes (which may or may not be autovia at that point, though all of them seem planned to be autovia in their entirety), but there are also autovia with green signs, denoting secondary non-national roads. (as an aside, is there any reason why the A92 isn't a national route? Or at least why isn't it signed with blue shields)

You also have some low quality national roads signed with blue signs (eg A7 in places along the Andalucian coast where AP7 bypasses the settlements and A7 runs along the coast with roundabouts, and some of the city-prefixed national autovia) and some high quality non-national routes with orange, or even green, signs.

Of course, other countries (eg France with Voie Express D roads and the A660) have similar.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #5533
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:

But the signage is not clear either. All exit signs are blue, except the final sign at the off ramp. So the only way to tell if an intersecting road is a motorway is if the very last sign is blue or white.
As a general rule:

Motorways managed by the State will always have A or AP letters with the exemptions of:

- R-X near Madrid
- and any letter for local motorways (rings or so). For instance, the ring-motorway in my city is the Z-40

All R-X are tolled and only M-12 (access to Madrid airport) is tolled

In case of a motorway managed by a regional government they will use their own system. EX in Extremadura, C in Catalona, A in Andalucia, AS in Asturias, ARA-A- in Aragón (for 5,5 km only), M for Madrid

Almost all of them are non-tolled.... but in Galicia and Catalonia you will find them tolled or untolled.

Old July 30th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #5534
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
And while Catalunya colors by quality - eg C16 has red 'shields' (for want of a better term) on the non-motorway sections [...]
Which should be orange anyway, red should be only used on national roads. I'd like to see Catalonia not only stripped of its autonomy because of that independentist movement, but also forced to change all its signs to the Spanish standard. Now they use French style signage.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #5535
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Which should be orange anyway, red should be only used on national roads. I'd like to see Catalonia not only stripped of its autonomy because of that independentist movement, but also forced to change all its signs to the Spanish standard. Now they use French style signage.
There are no French signs in Catalonia. It's true that there's a standard for directional signage that's a bit different from the Spanish one, but the font remains the same, and the signs still look Spanish. The most "French" signage thing I've seen in Catalonia are some speed limit signs in the Lleida Pyrenees -but they're not the norm. I guess that someone ordered a bunch of them some day for some reason, but they will eventually be replaced by "proper" ones since I haven't seen more.

There are some other oddities regarding roads when it comes to regional authorities -Gipuzkoa province uses dashed side lane markings, like France, and Galicia has a road type of its own (corredor, which is the former vía rápida, a concept that disappeared from our driving code in 2001 and that had its own -green- signage, which Galicia retains). As for the numbering system, it's a complete mess. Too many road categories, too many shields and way too many prefixes. Even the design of kilometer posts changes from one region to another. You end up memorizing road numbers like a mantra, but you don't know their meaning. There are plenty of simpler road numbering systems around (Germany, France, the UK, Italy, to name a few); we should just do what our neighbors do.
Old July 30th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #5536
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yeah.... there are some "French signs" in Catalonia and part of Aragón.

Look at N-230 from Sopeira till the border. The signs are French

Old July 31st, 2015, 04:25 AM   #5537
GYN1997

Likes (Received): 148

what was a via rapida exactly?
GYN1997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:08 AM   #5538
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

http://videalab.udc.es/files/fichas/val_minor/min2.jpg
this is a via rapida

GYN1997, wiss66 liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:11 AM   #5539
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYN1997 View Post
what was a via rapida exactly?
Via rapida doesn't longer exist since several years ago

It was a sort of 1x1 with motorway standards but only 1x1. All crosses as in a motorway (bridges, tunnels and so...)

Only C-25 in Catalonia was a "long" via rapida.
I remember first track of a motorway bypass that was pointed as via rapida (it was, indeed, it was just first 1x1 prior to a 2x2)

Old July 31st, 2015, 11:52 AM   #5540
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

french style in catalonia ? i dont think so

http://www.calagogo.es/uploads/indicadorpda.gif

http://fotos.subefotos.com/c4067b549...0afbaf7f2o.jpg

http://www.roadsafetyfoundation.org/...route-news.jpg
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida