daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #5701
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
The two major interventions which whould be really possitive for improving traffic around Madrid would be developing the abandoned plan for HOV lanes, not just adding general new lanes for everybody and Park+Rides areas linked to roads to foster transfers between different transportation systems. Minor enlargments would be really good for example on the A-5 between Xanadú and Alcorcón, but as overall, considering the layout of the urban area of Madrid and its population, the capacity of the road network is pretty good when comparing with other major European urban areas.
Additional lanes are needed on;

A-1 Santo Domingo - El Molar
A-2 a bit more East by-passing Guadalajara
A-3 M-50-Arganda (100 000 ADT on 2+2 and no plans it seems!!)
A-4 Aranjuez-Ocaña (not so urgent)
A-5 Móstoles-Navalcarnero (urgent)
A-42 to down Toledo
M-503 from M-30 to M-50 (up to 100 000 ADT on 2+2)

A-4, part of A-1, A-42 and the most retarded "motorway" in Madrid, A-5, need total reconstruction (in the case of A-1 upgrading it to a new generation Autovía and widening, on A-4 quitting too much exits by building roads for local traffic, same on A-42, and A-5 in Madrid... Well, neighbors would be satisfied getting some tunnels, and altogether it is a road with horrible standards.

R-roads should be not tolled on rush hours to be useful and they need more exits, and R-1 running so far of the A-1 corridor as an extension of M-50, all the road network of Las Barajas and a shortcut from A-2 to A-1 could actually be quite useful.

Luckily they built the A-6 as the best motorway in Spain with 80 Kms of 3+3-5+5 + HOV, the cause of this is probably that it was expanded just before the recession.

Last edited by RV; October 4th, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #5702
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

As of today I've run out of 'green' roads (i.e. second level regional roads) North of A-22 up to Guara ridge, and there are many of them in that area as well as South of the now named 'Catalan way motorway'. In fact, the only 'orange' and 'green' roads I haven't been to in my province North of a line made of A-23, A-22, N-123 and N-230 are A-176 North (West, actually) of Anso, part of A-1604, and A-1606.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #5703
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
As of today I've run out of 'green' roads (i.e. second level regional roads) North of A-22 up to Guara ridge, and there are many of them in that area as well as South of the now named 'Catalan way motorway'. In fact, the only 'orange' and 'green' roads I haven't been to in my province North of a line made of A-23, A-22, N-123 and N-230 are A-176 North (West, actually) of Anso, part of A-1604, and A-1606.
Excuse me, but am I missing something? I can't see the relevance of your post in this thread.

ChrisZwolle, verreme liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #5704
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A54: Palas-West – Guntin-North 14.9km (? to 2015) – ? – map
Opening in October 2015. It was announced last week:

http://www.europapress.es/galicia/no...917194216.html
I'm not sure but I think it could be opened on 17th October (or later?), see press release .

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #5705
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
It will be opened on Wednesday, 7th October 2015, see news article (2nd October 2015). If I got it right, the construction of the section began in 2002.
The opening for tomorrow has been confirmed by the website of the prime minister: http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/gobierno...-gobierno.aspx

The claim that construction started in 2002 seems exagerrated. I suspect this is the section between Castell de Ferro and Popolos, which opened on 16 May 2005.

According to Google Earth, some culverts were built in the greenhouse area near Castell de Ferro circa 2007, but major construction in the mountains didn't start until 2012 or later. August 2012 is currently the most recent imagery in the area, showing no construction.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

solchante liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #5706
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Now that is something: a whole decade between the openings of two adjacent sections. However there is an example of a bigger gap near me: the Huesca-Nueno section of A-23 was open already in 2001, but the following section up to the Isuela gorge wasn't completed until last year. But now that I think, when did Dutch A4 North of Delft open? That one would be quite a record.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #5707
ajch

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The opening for tomorrow has been confirmed by the website of the prime minister: http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/gobierno...-gobierno.aspx

The claim that construction started in 2002 seems exagerrated. I suspect this is the section between Castell de Ferro and Popolos, which opened on 16 May 2005.

According to Google Earth, some culverts were built in the greenhouse area near Castell de Ferro circa 2007, but major construction in the mountains didn't start until 2012 or later. August 2012 is currently the most recent imagery in the area, showing no construction.
Opened

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...d-96bb29402159
ajch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #5708
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Quote:
A27: Valls-North – Valls-South 5.7km (? to 2015) – ? – map
A27: Valls-South – Morell 8.7km (? to 2015) – ? – map
Works here are also pretty advanced. I think it will open this year. I haven't found any press article or official source, but I saw a bit of the works from the train last week and even signaling has been installed. Both sections are going to open at the same time, as otherwise it would be a mess for traffic (it would have to use narrow streets to cross Valls in order to get to the old national road).
Quote:
Quote:
Spain A27: Valls-South – Morell 8.7km (? to Late 2015) – ? – map
Opening announced for next Tuesday, October 13.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/201...el-martes.html
I'm a little bit confused. Will both sections be opened on 13th October or only one section? The news article reports about a 7.8km section and a 9.5km section but I don't get it by using Google Translate....

According to wikipedia the section lengths are 5 and 9.5km. I also measured 9.5km b/n Morell and C-37 south of Valls and about 4km b/n C-37 and N-240 interchange north of Valls. The remaining gap to the railway bridge south of Montblanc is about 7km. Wikipedia indicates an additional 7.3km:

A27: Montblanc-East – Valls-North 7.3km (2008 to suspended) – projectmap

That means, the wikipedia lengths should be correct. I think my lengths are also correct but related to the lots and should be corrected to indicate the lengths b/n the interchanges (5.7 + 8.7=14.4km ~ 9.5 + 5.0 = 14.5km). But the lengths of the news article are really strange (9.5 + 7.8 = 17.3km).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #5709
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1182

Quote:
I'm a little bit confused. Will both sections be opened on 13th October or only one section? The news article reports about a 7.8km section and a 9.5km section but I don't get it by using Google Translate....

According to wikipedia the section lengths are 5 and 9.5km. I also measured 9.5km b/n Morell and C-37 south of Valls and about 4km b/n C-37 and N-240 interchange north of Valls. The remaining gap to the railway bridge south of Montblanc is about 7km. Wikipedia indicates an additional 7.3km:

A27: Montblanc-East – Valls-North 7.3km (2008 to suspended) – projectmap

That means, the wikipedia lengths should be correct. I think my lengths are also correct but related to the lots and should be corrected to indicate the lengths b/n the interchanges (5.7 + 8.7=14.4km ~ 9.5 + 5.0 = 14.5km). But the lengths of the news article are really strange (9.5 + 7.8 = 17.3km).
The 7.8 km section mentioned in the article is Tarragona - Morell, which was opened in 2013.

It is only the 9.5 km long section Morell - Variante de Valls that will be opened on Tuesday. It's the same as this one:

Spain A27: Valls-South – Morell 8.7km (? to Late 2015) – ? – map

arctic_carlos liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #5710
ChrisZwolle
Road user

AP-7 Alicante

I made a little video of AP-7 around Alicante. Traffic is very light, there was like one car passing me on the tolled section and almost no traffic in the other direction as well. The landscape is very arid, I like to drive through that as a northerner.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

solchante, manhuelofspain liked this post
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #5711
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Drove there in 2008. Back then there was more traffic, I guess misguided drivers mistaking it for the toll-free A-70. They seem to have learned the lesson. A pointless motorway that's been bankrupt since it opened.
Old October 13th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #5712
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
13 October 2015

A 9.5 kilometer extension of autovía A-27 opened to traffic in Catalonia today. It runs from El Morell to Valls (south).

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...7-7127d2dafe47
It was also announced that the bypass of Valls will open in December 2015, and that the works on the Valls - Montblanc stretch is planned to be reactivated in 2016.

Is is also planned to widen the N340 from Altafulla to Pobla de Montornés to 2x2 lanes (basically an A-7 extension). A widening of N-340 all the way from Torredembarra to Vilafranca will also be studied.

Works will also be tendered in southern Catalonia for the widening of N-340 to A-7 south of the current terminus at L'Hospitalet de l'Infant.

Old October 13th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #5713
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3932

In the short term it's quite unlikely that they decide to extend A-7 north of Pobla de Montornès, as that would create a toll-free corridor alongside tolled AP-7 between Tarragona and Barcelona and there are powerful interests against that (the owner of the tolled motorway, of course).

If now they've decided to extend A-7 a few km northwards is because it's urgent to eliminate a bottleneck where accidents are common.

In the south, I guess A-7 will be extended from L'Hospitalet de L'Infant to El Perelló, but not further. They always say they're studying the widening of N-340, but I don't think it makes sense to create another double corridor in that sparse populated area.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #5714
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It's a long time I do not heard news about A7 in southern Catalonia although the traject is already designed

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #5715
radko

Likes (Received): 3

Hi, when were build autopistas? It's weird, there are so much sections. I compare Spain : Por ej., poor Poland, Nigeria, Bulgaria too.
That's a pitty, older maps don't show dual-carriageways, only motorways. When were completed:
Madrid - Badajos, Madrid - La Coruňa, Valladolid - Santander, Madrid - Murcia, Madrid - Sevilla and Granada, Sevilla - Murcia etc. I'm interest history of roads. I draw map of building total net motorways 2x2 (from eartly 70s) if you send map, sketch, text about it to me. Later I post.
I suprised, that in Spain is very little 2 × 3 section: Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid and North-Eastern areas.
radko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #5716
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
They always say they're studying the widening of N-340, but I don't think it makes sense to create another double corridor in that sparse populated area.
Maybe they mean a widening to four lanes with roundabouts, like N-340 along the Costa del Sol (which is even signed as A-7!)
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #5717
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3932

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
It's a long time I do not heard news about A7 in southern Catalonia although the traject is already designed
Well, you can find some news reading today's press release:

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...7-7127d2dafe47

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #5718
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Press release also says that we'll get a bunch of new roundabouts on N-340, which will become even more painful to drive .

verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #5719
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wish we had Spanish roundabouts in the Netherlands though. They are much more spacious and comfortable than the low speed, sharp turn roundabouts over here.

Dutch roundabouts are built in such a way that you enter and exit the roundabout from the center of the roundabout, the roadway hardly forks out so they allow the lowest speed possible when turning on and off a roundabout.

On the other hand the turbo roundabouts may be more efficient / predictable than multi-lane roundabouts in Spain. I've seen people driving pretty much straight ahead on oversized 3-lane roundabouts with little traffic.
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #5720
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The long Benicarló and Vinaròs bypass of N-340 opens to traffic next Thursday. It is an 18 kilometer long super two, completely grade-separated.

http://www.elmundo.es/comunidad-vale...7268b45a2.html

arctic_carlos, Highway89, verreme liked this post

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida