daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #6201
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That area is one of the ugliest in Spain... Plastic foil greenhouses in a dry, unmaintained environment. I drove through such an area in Almería province, nearly all houses had metal bars in front of the windows and doors. Are they high crime areas?
Ugly to the point that even the back of a fridge is pretty?

I actually conducted a poll in Twitter asking what was uglier, if Alfamen (the ugliest town in Aragon) or this, and the town won.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:07 AM   #6202
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

What was the first full-highway grade connection between Madrid and the Portuguese border? Baldajoz, Verín, Vigo or Huelva? I mean, the first border point from which it was fully possible to drive to/from Madrid.
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #6203
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

According to wikipedia

A-5 (Badajoz), 1993 (in the border, but 1995 in Almaraz!!!!!)
A-72 (Verin) 2010
AP-9 (Vigo), 2003 (last 11 km). In addition, I do not know data of motorway link Vigo-Madrid... if later or not.
A-49 (Huelva, Ayamonte) 2001 (bridge in 1991).

Therefore, Badajoz.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #6204
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Wow, that is a long time before both countries were highway-connected!
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #6205
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Wow, that is a long time before both countries were highway-connected!
Madrid-France too....

Last strech of A-2 between Madrid and Zaragoza was finished in 1993 (or 1994?), to go to Barcelona and La Junquera

Via Burgos/Irun, last strech after Irurzun is recently and Madrid-Burgos was in 1992 or so (and "1st generation motorway" in both cases)

Even if a tour via Valencia, it was en 1998 when fully finished.

Maybe in 1992.... Madrid-Alicante-Valencia-Barcelona-La Junquera...... to get 100% motorway but have to check

Old July 30th, 2016, 03:57 AM   #6206
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
That area is one of the ugliest in Spain... Plastic foil greenhouses in a dry, unmaintained environment. I drove through such an area in Almería province, nearly all houses had metal bars in front of the windows and doors. Are they high crime areas?
Almeria is known as the Costa Plastica to some.

The tunnels are full of day rate illegal Morocccans doing the actual work ( for a pittance) so petty crime is high given the terrible wages the workers get and the number who do not even get work for days on end and rely on the Red Cross and Medicinos del Mundo for food and basic medical treatment.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...aves-charities
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #6207
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What was the first full-highway grade connection between Madrid and the Portuguese border? Baldajoz, Verín, Vigo or Huelva? I mean, the first border point from which it was fully possible to drive to/from Madrid.
Regarding your specific question, the most accurate answer is Badajoz in 1995, when the missing section of A-5 (Almaraz - Jaraicello) was opened (regardless of the fact that the Badajoz motorway border crossing itself had been opened in 1993).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
AP-9 (Vigo), 2003 (last 11 km). In addition, I do not know data of motorway link Vigo-Madrid... if later or not.
Incorrect. You've forgotten the existence of untolled motorway A-55 (Vigo - Tuy), which was completed in 1993. Tolled AP-9 was actually opened in 2003, but the border crossing is still part of A-55.

A-52 (Vigo - Benavente) was completed in 1998, so that's the year when Madrid and the Portuguese border in Tuy were first connected via a full motorway.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #6208
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
As other forumers have said, it's very common to see those fenced windows in southern Spain.

As houses are usually built directly next to the sidewalks, without small gardens or lawns separating the buildings from the street, people want to ensure their houses are somehow protected from thefts or trespassing. Due to climate conditions in summer, it's very normal to leave windows opened at night, so these bars are a necessary tool of protection.

Besides, there were some racial riots in the area of El Ejido (not far from Almería) 15 years ago. It's not common at all in Spain to see this kind of conflicts, I guess it was related with the African workers of the greenhouses, but I don't remember exactly what happened.

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #6209
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Some pictures of the new section of AG-55 on its opening day:

Source: http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia...5991862927.htm

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #6210
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1185

It seems that they keep on using dashed shoulder lines instead of solid. I've already seen some older motorways painted with the new style of lines and arrows, e.g.:
https://www.google.es/maps/@42.27300...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Is it;

* Autovía de la Costa da Morte
* Autovía da Costa da Morte

I've seen both mentioned in the press. Is it a difference between Galician and Spanish? I thought 'da' didn't exist in Spanish, but maybe I'm wrong on that.
"Da" is indeed Galician, but in Spanish it's common to use the local place names when they're either similar to the Spanish equivalent or widely known (such as Donostia for San Sebastián). The name in Spanish would be "Autovía de la Costa de la Muerte", but it sounds unnatural.

Quote:
From all the classic Spanish literature I've read, I gather those bars have traditionally been put there to keep unmarried women's virtue safe from despicable men, if you know what I mean

ukraroad liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #6211
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

A-7 Valencia - Xàtiva

I found out I had also filmed A-7 from Valencia to Xàtiva. I was surprised by the fact it had six lanes all the way to Xàtiva. There's quite a bit of truck traffic there.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:50 AM   #6212
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

For this weekend (and surely for 12-15th August), Traffic administration gives these recommendations for alternative routes

http://www.dgt.es/Galerias/el-trafic...ativos_III.pdf

Old July 31st, 2016, 12:51 AM   #6213
Farnan
Toletum

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Madrid-France too....

Last strech of A-2 between Madrid and Zaragoza was finished in 1993 (or 1994?), to go to Barcelona and La Junquera

Via Burgos/Irun, last strech after Irurzun is recently and Madrid-Burgos was in 1992 or so (and "1st generation motorway" in both cases)

Even if a tour via Valencia, it was en 1998 when fully finished.

Maybe in 1992.... Madrid-Alicante-Valencia-Barcelona-La Junquera...... to get 100% motorway but have to check
Autovia A-2 (then N-II) opened in Aragon during December 1990 except the stretch west of La Almunia who opened in 1991 alongside some section on Medinaceli and in Guadalajara province.
Farnan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:59 AM   #6214
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
Autovia A-2 (then N-II) opened in Aragon during December 1990 except the stretch west of La Almunia who opened in 1991 alongside some section on Medinaceli and in Guadalajara province.
Strongly sure that it was in December 1991. It wasn't finished but they wanted to avoid congestion. Therefore, they opened and.... sometimes people didn't know which direction take (and went to the opposite direction) or which exit get out and went ahead for a while. In some months all solved but a messy at first.

Alto de la Perdiz (La Almunia west - Morata) opened later..... but surely rest in December 1991. My family comes from that area and used too much.

Old July 31st, 2016, 02:33 AM   #6215
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
GC3: Arucas – Tamaraceite-West 3.5km (? to Late July 2016) [direction Tamaraceite] – ? – map
It has been announced it will open on the 4th of August.

http://www.eldiario.es/canariasahora...542446393.html

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle, MichiH liked this post
Old July 31st, 2016, 01:31 PM   #6216
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

people, I am searching for one spot at urban motorway system of Barcelona. i remember that there were signed city limits between Barcelona and Badalona. it was on B20, C31 or even B10. does somebody know where could i have seen it? (it was back in year 1999, so not very recently)
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:32 PM   #6217
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

There are no city limits between Barcelona and Badalona, as the municipalities of Santa Coloma de Gramenet and Sant Adrià del Besòs are located between both cities:

In any event, Badalona city limits could only be signed in B-20 and in C-31, as B-10 doesn't go through Badalona (it only goes through Barcelona and Sant Adrià del Besòs municipalities).

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 31st, 2016, 03:56 PM   #6218
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

i know those things, but i remember the white table beside the motorway, indicating Barcelona in one, and Badalona in another direction. it was really weird because i never saw it out of state roads.
Old July 31st, 2016, 07:10 PM   #6219
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

You mean something like this?

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.71803...7i13312!8i6656

The name of two towns can appear together when one is just next to the other, but in the area of Barcelona is not usually shown like that, as there are hundreds of streets shared between different municipalities (for example one side of a street can be part of Barcelona and the other side belong to L'Hospitalet de Llobregat).

Maybe the one you saw in Badalona (I guess in C-31, formerly called A-19) was removed when someone realized there's no shared border between Barcelona and Badalona.

Bertolt Brecht
Old August 3rd, 2016, 06:13 PM   #6220
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

N-636 Gerediaga - Elorrio

The new autovía (6.4 km) from AP-8 at Gerediaga to Elorrio in Basque Country will open to traffic on 8 August.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida