daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #6321
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is it correct that no roads in Navarra are maintained by Fomento? I drove A-10, A-15, AP-15 and A-21 today and they had signs that they belonged to the Navarra road network. If so, are there other regions like that? (Basque Country perhaps).
You asked the same 4 years ago

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3255
Vignole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #6322
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Wow, amazing that you remembered that!

As a follow-up question, does the Basque Country government maintains roads? I've seen some kilometer markers and they all carried the name of the province (Bizkaia, Gipuzkoa, Álava).

Also, the N-I numbering fiasco only appears to be a thing of Gipuzkoa province, not all of Basque Country. The autovía is signed as A-1 throughout Álava.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #6323
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Wow, amazing that you remembered that!

As a follow-up question, does the Basque Country government maintains roads? I've seen some kilometer markers and they all carried the name of the province (Bizkaia, Gipuzkoa, Álava).

Also, the N-I numbering fiasco only appears to be a thing of Gipuzkoa province, not all of Basque Country. The autovía is signed as A-1 throughout Álava.

No

Diputaciones de Vizcaya, Guipuzcoa and Alava (name in Spanish, well, Alava is in Spanish, in Basque would be Araba) manage their roads will province borders. For instance, in the Spanish thread of "guess the road", a local road in Guipuzcoa was very easy because different lines in shoulders.

AP-68 and AP-1 (only to Armiñon) are by Fomento but maintaned by toll company.

Roads in this enclave
https://www.google.es/maps/@43.2378093,-3.1411962,11z
are managed by Cantabria government

here
https://www.google.es/maps/@42.78634.../data=!3m1!1e3
by Castilla y León government except A-1 and N-I by Fomento (in Spanish version it appears AP-1, it is fake)
and really do not know about this road
https://www.google.es/maps/@43.21692.../data=!3m1!1e3

In the case of Navarra, all roads by regional government except AP-68

In Canary and Balearic islands.... by island governments (not regional governments!!!!)

In Ceuta and Melilla.... by Fomento if it is considered a "road" of by local government if a street
This one is one to be 2x2
https://www.google.es/maps/@35.29141.../data=!3m1!1e3

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

ChrisZwolle liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #6324
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

No, the Basque Country government doesn't mantain any road, The ownership and maintenance belong to provincial governments also the tolled motorways.

The Spanish Constitution give an special status to old 4 chartered territories (Álava, Biscay, Gipuzkoa and Navarre) and the possibility to merge.
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #6325
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So the N-roads that are autovías are also not maintained by the Basque government, but by the provinces? I drove on N-240 and N-622, but do not recall how they were signed on the kilometer markers. I did recall N-636 having 'Bizkaia' indicators.

Spain is interestingly complicated

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Vignole liked this post
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:34 PM   #6326
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Here you have a N-622 kilometer marker

https://goo.gl/maps/nk8N8yNRgPJ2
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #6327
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
So the N-roads that are autovías are also not maintained by the Basque government, but by the provinces? I drove on N-240 and N-622, but do not recall how they were signed on the kilometer markers. I did recall N-636 having 'Bizkaia' indicators.

Spain is interestingly complicated
Yes, it is.

Road number is decided by them indeed.

When N-XXX where named A-XX, Navarra government took a time to update name of N-232 (and it was a 2x2) to A-68. They had the AP-68 (Fomento) but N-232 for a while.

Old roads, they try to keep names but not always.
N-I (or A-1) was Madrid-Irun but San Sebastian-Irun has been named as GI-636 (yeah, to get crazy!!!)

https://www.google.es/maps/@43.33555.../data=!3m1!1e3

Conversely, Pamplona-Irun (in Navarra and Basque country) remains as N-121A

About Basque and Navarra roads... Navarra and Alava provinces have had always a special status for self government, even with the dictatorship era. With regions, it was easier to enlarge to Guipuzcoa and Vizcaya (whole Basque country).

Canary and Balearic islands... obviously they will never join general network.

Old September 7th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #6328
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignole View Post
Here you have a N-622 kilometer marker

https://goo.gl/maps/nk8N8yNRgPJ2
Right, those are used on A-1 as well
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #6329
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Camarasa Canyon

The first video from the trip to the Pyrenees, the Camarasa Canyon.

I have enough footage from Scandinavia, France & Spain to release 1-2 videos per week until well into 2017.
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #6330
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Quote:
The first video from the trip to the Pyrenees, the Camarasa Canyon.

I have enough footage from Scandinavia, France & Spain to release 1-2 videos per week until well into 2017.
Have you even finished already your previous Iberian peninsula trip videos?
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #6331
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No, I still have a considerable amount of footage from 2015 But I filmed it with a different camera that provides slightly more stable footage, but cumbersome 3 minute blocks (i.e. 100+ files on a day of filming...) and its colors are more washed out. I haven't used that camera (Mini 0806) on this trip.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #6332
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

A-68 eastbound from Zaragoza and direction Zaragoza has been partially refurbished.

Old September 9th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #6333
ChrisZwolle
Road user

C-13 Vilanova de la Barca, Lleida

C-13 is a 160 kilometer north-south road in Lleida province, it runs from Lleida to the Pyrenees. A 5 kilometer autovía segment opened to traffic in 2014 around the town of Vilanova de la Barca.

(captions in Dutch)

1. Net ten zuiden van Térmens begint de autovía richting Lleida. Dit is duidelijk voorbereid op een verlenging richting Balaguer.

Autovía C-13-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. Het is een echte autovía met alles er op en er aan. Dit deel kostte € 49 miljoen (net geen € 10 miljoen per kilometer). Iets duurder dan gemiddeld op het Spaanse platteland.

Autovía C-13-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

3. De groene borden geven de naam van de comarca aan. Dat moet je maar net weten. Segriá is een comarca met 210.000 inwoners, veel groter dan veel andere comarcas, omdat de stad Lleida er in is gelegen.

Autovía C-13-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. De Catalaanse stijl bewegwijzering.

Autovía C-13-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

Autovía C-13-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

6. Vilanova de la Barca. Het is de enige volledige aansluiting van dit stuk autovía. De noordelijke aansluiting is maar voor de helft in gebruik en de zuidelijke aansluiting is een rotonde.

Autovía C-13-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

7. De rivier El Corb.

Autovía C-13-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

8. En alweer het einde van de autovía. Wel lekker om even 120 km/h te kunnen rijden.

Autovía C-13-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

9. De snelweg eindigt 5 kilometer voor de A-2.

Autovía C-13-9 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #6334
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3991

I've never understood why the northern end of that section is prepared to continue the autovía towards Balaguer while the southern one is just a roundabout at the same level...

Eventually they will have to redo that roundabout as a proper interchange, and I guess the continuation towards Lleida and A-2 is more likely to be built than the continuation towards Balaguer.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #6335
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N-636 Elorrio - Durango

Some photos (westbound) of provincial autovía N-636 that opened to traffic on 8 August 2016.

1. The full-size resolution shows that N-636 is owned by the Diputación Foral de Bizkaia. So it is a provincial autovía.

N-636-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. Elorrio. This is the original bypass of this village, that opened to traffic in 1999. The new autovía feeds into it.

N-636-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

3. There is a second Elorrio interchange right after that, and it has an exit number. I wonder where it is based on, perhaps the distance from the Navarra border?

N-636-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. BI-3331.

N-636-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

5. The landscape in Basque Country is quite Alpine, despite not being particularly high. The mountains on this photo are only around 900 meters tall, comparable to the mountain ranges of central Germany.

N-636-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

6. A bilingual sign. However, the Basque name for Bilbao (Bilbo) is omitted, which is often the case in the area.

N-636-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

7. N-636 is not a carretera nacional. There is another, very short N-636 near Santander that is in fact part of the 'Red de Carreteras del Estado'.

N-636-12 by European Roads, on Flickr

8. An almost 2 kilometer long tunnel.

N-636-13 by European Roads, on Flickr

9. One of the few tunnel photos I ever took that was not blurry on 'auto' mode. This means the tunnel is well-lit.

N-636-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

10. The AP-8 interchange. It's notable how there is no sign of Durango, a city of 29,000 and located right next to it. It's one of the larger towns in Bizkaia that is not part of the Bilbao urban area.

N-636-15 by European Roads, on Flickr

verreme, EasySeven, Highway89, pai nosso liked this post
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #6336
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
3. There is a second Elorrio interchange right after that, and it has an exit number. I wonder where it is based on, perhaps the distance from the Navarra border?
More likely Beasain. It is planned for all the Beasain-Durango corridor to become a motorway, however a couple sections are still missing.
Quote:
6. A bilingual sign. However, the Basque name for Bilbao (Bilbo) is omitted, which is often the case in the area.
That's because only official names are signed. In the case of Bilbao, only the Spanish name is official.
Quote:
7. N-636 is not a carretera nacional. There is another, very short N-636 near Santander that is in fact part of the 'Red de Carreteras del Estado'.
Yup, N-636 is the Santander airport road. Since Basque roads aside from AP-68 are maintained by the provinces some duplicates can occur, like N-622 (Vitoria Gasteiz to Altube, also Lerma to Quintana del Puente) and N-637 (the Txorierri corridor, which I found to be also the Aviles port road). Not to mention A-231, although none of the two instances of it is Basque.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #6337
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Is Pamplona commonly signed "Iruña" or not really?

I recently realized Google Maps now replaces city names for the one they use in your version. If you do a search in the .com domain and writes "Constantinople" it will automatically search for Istanbul (instead of a local "Constantinople" restaurant, plaza or business as before). Iruña send me to Pamplona. I wonder if Irun ever had a Spanish language name.
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #6338
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Iruña is mostly signed from Basque-speaking areas (i.e. north of Pamplona).

Isn't Iruña with an 'ñ' strange for Basque? I don't recall seeing ñ in any other Basque placenames. I used to think that Pamplona was the Basque name and Iruña the Spanish name
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #6339
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is Pamplona commonly signed "Iruña" or not really?

I recently realized Google Maps now replaces city names for the one they use in your version. If you do a search in the .com domain and writes "Constantinople" it will automatically search for Istanbul (instead of a local "Constantinople" restaurant, plaza or business as before). Iruña send me to Pamplona. I wonder if Irun ever had a Spanish language name.
Yep. I've discovered some place names which I didn't know had a Spanish version, such as Lubeca or Cortrique. It sounds quite old-fashioned.

The Spanish version of Irun is Irún, as simple as that .

Quote:
Iruña is mostly signed from Basque-speaking areas (i.e. north of Pamplona).

Isn't Iruña with an 'ñ' strange for Basque? I don't recall seeing ñ in any other Basque placenames. I used to think that Pamplona was the Basque name and Iruña the Spanish name
The letter 'ñ' is also widely used in Basque. You have another example in the photo below: Abadiño. Also Orduña/Urduña, Oñati and probably plenty of other less important places. Some Basque personal names and surnames use the ñ too. For instance, the tennis player Garbiñe Muguruza, the chef Karlos Arguiñano and the retired handball player (among other things ) Iñaki Urdangarín.
Quote:

N-636-15 by European Roads, on Flickr
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #6340
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Following on from my EU interchanges thread, here's my breakdown of four-way full access freeflow interchanges in Spain:

Suburbanist liked this post
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida