daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #6621
Boltzman
S = k ln Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It struck me how big the motorway network in Andalusia was in the early 1990s. Many were completed in time for the '92 Expo, including much of the flagship A-92.
Have in mind that Andalusia is a very extensive and quite populated region, with several big, relevant cities and plenty of mid-size towns. I find normal it to have an extensive (although with a poor quality) motorway network even by the early 1990s. The national Government boosted the A-4 linking the 1992 European Culture Capital (Madrid) with the city celebrating the Universal Exposition 1992 (Seville). The regional Government make a huge effort to link both Andalusian capitals (Seville and Granada), just after ten years after autonomy accession. This resulted, with some other minors stretches and the existing motorways, in a decent motorway network, especially from/to Seville.

Quote:
The routes in blue shown are those built before 1992/1993:
I think this map is wrong concerning (present-day) A-92M. I couldn't find its opening date on the Internet, but I wouldn't say earlier than 1995 (I'd bet it's around 1995-2000).

Last edited by Boltzman; November 10th, 2016 at 08:54 PM.
Boltzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #6622
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3963

A-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A60: Puente Villarente – Santas Martas-South 20km (? to 2018?) – ? – map
Works on this section are progressing, but as this is an unusually long project for Spanish standards, its degree of execution varies highly on each part of it. While the southern part is quite advanced, almost nothing has been done on the critical section where archaeological remains were found.

Cross-posting from the Spanish forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filandon View Post
Ayer por la tarde me pasé a ver el estado de las obras a la altura de Reliegos, ya que últimamente han avanzado bastante, cuelgo dos fotos para que lo veáis.

Vista hacia León, en este tramo va paralela al camino de Santiago y se desvía hacia el este a la altura de Mansilla de las Mulas donde cruza el río Esla. A la altura de Lancia vuelve a transcurrir paralela, sin embargo allí, que es donde está el meollo, no veo ningún avance. Eso sí, el puente sobre el Porma en el Puente Villarente está prácticamente terminado.

Sin título by Filandón, en Flickr

Esta vista es hacia Valladolid, con la localidad de Reliegos. De aquí hasta el entronque con la A-231 en Santas Martas las obras van a buen ritmo.

Sin título by Filandón, en Flickr

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=36

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #6623
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltzman View Post
I agree however on the refurbishment. I was in Jaén before and after the works and the results are quite good. The problem was the industrial area and the hospital (the buildings at the other side of the motorway) being inaccessible for pedestrians, unless they used the motorway shoulders.

Anyway, the speed limit was already 70 km/h, as it was an urban area, the motorway ending in a roundabout some hundreds meters later.

A big area between the city limits and the industrial area was built since the late 1990s when a former railway line was dismantled, so the industrial area and the hospital weren't anymore beyond city limits, but within them.

The construction of the tramway line was the main reason to improve this stretch, updating a motorway into a main avenue with traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, and additionally the tramway line. Long-distance traffic is not affected as on the early 1990s a new outer variant of the A-44 motorway was built.
Freakin' Greens... All Europe should built it's expressways through cities like in America. Very sad what they did destroying a decent motorway with giant amounts of tax money.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #6624
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Coll de Montllobar

The 1080 meter high Coll de Montllobar in Catalonia, in Lleida province. It is located on road C-1311 from Puente de Montañana to Tremp. A very lightly traveled road (I encountered only 3 cars on the 20 km route).

Coll de Montllobar-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Coll de Montllobar-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

The Congost de Mont-Rebei in the distance.

Coll de Montllobar-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

Coll de Montllobar-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

The view (with zoom)

Coll de Montllobar-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

Without zoom

Coll de Montllobar-6 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #6625
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
B40: Olesa de Montserrat – Viladecavalls (C16) 6km (2007 to Early 2018) – projectmap
Works are advancing on this section. These pictures were taken yesterday.

Look at the first picture, it's particularly stunning as you can see the works and the mountain of Montserrat in the background, one of the most iconic landmarks in Catalonia.

Cross-posting from the Catalan sub-forum in the Spanish forum (credits to carquinyoli):

Quote:
Originally Posted by carquinyoli View Post
Això és el que es veia ahir des del camí de Montserrat. Del túnel cap amunt direcció Vallès. Al túnel hi treballen dia i nit.

[center]

Bertolt Brecht
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #6626
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
The 1080 meter high Coll de Montllobar in Catalonia, in Lleida province. It is located on road C-1311 from Puente de Montañana to Tremp. A very lightly traveled road (I encountered only 3 cars on the 20 km route).

It will be more scenic Ager-Puente de Montañana road indeed.
By the way, Puente de Montañana is a double exclave (it is mainly in Aragon but houses ahead are in Catalonia and, on foot, you can you crossing a little brigde but by car, you may enter in Catalonia for 100 m)

There are many sites to take a kayak or so over the damn and you can hire, take the day off and so... but as I had a little child, I had to hire a vessel with driver here.
50 km over water, 2 hours and 75 euro

https://www.google.es/maps/place/256...47!4d0.8949296

I encourage to take a trip there.... Just have a look

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=256

First picture, in Aragon near damn, second it is a corner of Catalonia in right side of reservoir,

Third, fourth and fifth, in Aragon,
Sixth in a little river also in Aragon
Seventh (laders....) in Aragon
Eight, left Catalonia, right Aragon
Nineth, left Aragon, right Catalonia (there are two lanes over rocks in Catalonia as you can see)
Tenth, same picture but nearer
Eleventh, Aragon, a little castle near reservoir
Twelveth, a Tower quite near Puente de Montañana ahear (left Aragon, right Catalonia)
Thirteenth and fourteenth, way back. Catalonia (lanes on the rock) in the left, Aragon in the right.

I hope you would enjoy pictures. Taken by me three years ago and I would strongly repeat!!!!

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #6627
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

GC-3

Quote:
GC3: Arucas – Tamaraceite-West 3.5km (? to November 2016) [direction Arucas] – ? – map
I've almost missed it; it opened to traffic on November 10.

http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?id=440953

http://www.laprovincia.es/gran-canar...re/878673.html

The remaining 2.3 km of GC-3 between Arucas and GC-20 should be completed once the Spanish government transfers the necessary funds to the Canary Islands regional government, according to sources from said administration.

Anyway, aerial footage of the area clearly shows the existence of works in that section (regardless of any activity there right now), so it could be included on the list.

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle, Highway89 liked this post
Old November 20th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #6628
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Castilla y León

I've been looking into the road numbering history of Castilla y León.

If I'm correct, the Junta de Castilla y León assumed responsibility for the carreteras comarcales in 1984 (as almost all autonomous communities did at that time).

The numbering system remained in use for quite some time. According to Spanish Wikipedia the autonomous road network wasn't officially defined until 2008, making Castilla y León one of the last autonomous communities to do so (Región de Murcia did it around the same time). However, according to news reports implementation of the new numbering system already started in 2003.

The numbering system of CL-xxx routes was mostly based on the old carretera comarcal numbering system, most just changed their prefix from 'C' to 'CL'.

Of course, the renumbering process took some time. The start of the renumbering process may be different from the official designation of the autonomous road network.

As a side note, Extremadura also assumed responsibility for two carreteras nacionales in 1984; N-523 (Cáceres - Badajoz) and N-435R (Zafra - Fregenal de la Serra). How common was it for autonomous communities to have carreteras nacionales being transferred to them? Was Extremadura an exception? Or did it occur more frequently?
Old November 20th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #6629
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Extremadura also got a former alignment of N-430, it was originally inteded to run to the South of its current route. Andalusia got quite a few national roads that ran entirely in its territory: N-321, N-324, N-333, N-334 (Originally planned to run along what is now A-357, but after a short section was cancelled it was rerouted on what was previously C-338 and C-3310 to Antequera), N-342 (this one actually extended into Murcia). Also its part of N-332, with Murcia getting another part of it. Castile and Leon got its part of former N-625 (not to be confused with the current N-625, which runs along what was C-637 among others), and N-601 South of Valladolid, with Madrid getting its part of the latter. Galicia got the former alignments of N-640 from Lalin towards Pontevedra and N-120 East of Ourense (Although I believe N-120 had already been realigned onto what had been C-533 and C-546 for some time with its former route being renumbered to C-536). Catalonia got N-141 (not to be confused with current N-141, formerly C-141), N-150 and N-152 (except for the section that ran concurrent with and is now N-260), as well as N-230 South of Lleida and some former alignments of N-II in Barcelona province (which changed in the 70s. Catalonia now is even in charge of the later N-II alignment along the coast which is still signed as such). Aragon got the former alignments of N-240 and N-330 (the latter became part of C-125 for the last few years, now A-1205). Then there's the recent 'downgrades' of parts of N-320 and N-420 in Castile La Mancha. And of course Navarre and the Basque Country, which maintain every road except AP-68 (And I believe N-629 is also maintained by Fomento even in the short section through Lanestosa in extreme Western Biscay).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #6630
CNGL
Leudimin

In other news, I've finally clinched the entire main route from Madrid to Barcelona (Actually from M-50 onwards). The part I had missing consisted mostly of the 'holy truck hell' that is N-II between Alfajarin and Fraga (which I had already seen up to A-1107, as well as a short strecht in Bujaraloz where A-230 overlaps N-II), as well as 5 km of A-2 around Fraga which was the last remaining troll-free motorway in my home region of Aragon I had yet to see. I had not been able to get it before as that particular section runs transversal as seen from Huesca: If I go to Madrid I'd get to A-2 in Zaragoza, and if I go to Barcelona I'd do so in Lleida, and as result the Zaragoza-Lleida section is useless for me.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:12 PM   #6631
ChrisZwolle
Road user

C-13 Congost de Terradets

Some photos of C-13 through the Congost de Terradets / Terradets Canyon between Àger and Tremp in Lleida provincie (Catalonia).

C-13 Congost de Terradets-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

C-13 Congost de Terradets-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

C-13 Congost de Terradets-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

C-13 Congost de Terradets-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

C-13 Congost de Terradets-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

C-13 Congost de Terradets-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

C-13 Congost de Terradets-7 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old November 21st, 2016, 09:42 PM   #6632
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1189

Quote:
I've been looking into the road numbering history of Castilla y León.

If I'm correct, the Junta de Castilla y León assumed responsibility for the carreteras comarcales in 1984 (as almost all autonomous communities did at that time).

The numbering system remained in use for quite some time. According to Spanish Wikipedia the autonomous road network wasn't officially defined until 2008, making Castilla y León one of the last autonomous communities to do so (Región de Murcia did it around the same time). However, according to news reports implementation of the new numbering system already started in 2003.
After autonomous communities assumed responsibility for Comarcales and 3-digit Provinciales, they were given some time to make their Ley de Carreteras. By 1991 most autonomous communities had completed the process. See: http://boe.es/legislacion/legislacio...der%5B1%5D=asc

Some of these Leyes de Carreteras also included the renumbering of the road network, but apparently it wasn't the case for Castilla y León: http://boe.es/boe/dias/1990/04/21/pdfs/A10810-10813.pdf

Quote:
The numbering system of CL-xxx routes was mostly based on the old carretera comarcal numbering system, most just changed their prefix from 'C' to 'CL'.
They even keep the old sectors for 3-digit provincial roads. For instance, all roads located north of the N-110, south of the N-234 and east of the N-I start with a "9". Only the province code changes, e.g. SO-934 (Soria) becomes BU-934 (Burgos), or BU-945 becomes SG-945 (Segovia).

Quote:
Of course, the renumbering process took some time. The start of the renumbering process may be different from the official designation of the autonomous road network.
I remember seeing C-115 signs in La Rioja in the mid 2000s, 15 years after the renumbering was approved.

Quote:
As a side note, Extremadura also assumed responsibility for two carreteras nacionales in 1984; N-523 (Cáceres - Badajoz) and N-435R (Zafra - Fregenal de la Serra). How common was it for autonomous communities to have carreteras nacionales being transferred to them? Was Extremadura an exception? Or did it occur more frequently?

Apart from what CNGL said, La Rioja has recently got what was left of the N-232a, a branch of the N-232 along the northern shore of the Ebro (the main N-232 goes through the southern shore). It's been renamed LR-124, in accordance with the A-124 managed by Álava:

2009:

2015:

https://goo.gl/maps/YcBNRgNzeS42
(They seem to have recalculated the distance too)

The old system of national roads allowed different branches with the same number. For instance, apart from the N-232, there also were two roads numbered N-111: Estella-Pamplona and Estella-Etxarri Aranatz (current NA-120). Also, N-240 Irurtzun-Alsasua and Irurtzun-Tolosa (current NA-1300/GI-2135).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
(And I believe N-629 is also maintained by Fomento even in the short section through Lanestosa in extreme Western Biscay).
The Norma foral de carreteras de Bizkaia (page 42) says: "Carretera de Titularidad Foral y Gestión Ajena", which means it belongs to Biscay but is managed by Fomento.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:34 PM   #6633
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Apart from what CNGL said, La Rioja has recently got what was left of the N-232a, a branch of the N-232 along the northern shore of the Ebro (the main N-232 goes through the southern shore). It's been renamed LR-124, in accordance with the A-124 managed by Álava:

2009:

2015:

https://goo.gl/maps/YcBNRgNzeS42
(They seem to have recalculated the distance too)
Yes, I forgot about N-232. Originally from Logroño upstream it ran along the left bank of Ebro river, but at one point it was realigned onto what used to be C-122 and C-120 in the other side.

Also, A-124 is in Aragon, it runs from Zuera to Erla. There are three duplicated designations in both Aragon and Alava: A-124, A-126 and A-132. However, no A-134 exists. Then there's A-231, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
The old system of national roads allowed different branches with the same number. For instance, apart from the N-232, there also were two roads numbered N-111: Estella-Pamplona and Estella-Etxarri Aranatz (current NA-120). Also, N-240 Irurtzun-Alsasua and Irurtzun-Tolosa (current NA-1300/GI-2135).
These branches were suffixed with a R (from ramal). I knew about N-240R (later N-130), but I didn't knew about N-111R. It wasn't included in the Plan Peña.
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:49 PM   #6634
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Last before Chris' pic is La pobla railway line, isn't it?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 12:01 AM   #6635
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Yes.

The picture would have looked even better if he had had the chance to catch a train on the viaduct.

Bertolt Brecht

Last edited by arctic_carlos; November 22nd, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 12:08 AM   #6636
Farnan
Toletum

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Extremadura also got a former alignment of N-430, it was originally inteded to run to the South of its current route. Andalusia got quite a few national roads that ran entirely in its territory: N-321, N-324, N-333, N-334 (Originally planned to run along what is now A-357, but after a short section was cancelled it was rerouted on what was previously C-338 and C-3310 to Antequera), N-342 (this one actually extended into Murcia). Also its part of N-332, with Murcia getting another part of it. Castile and Leon got its part of former N-625 (not to be confused with the current N-625, which runs along what was C-637 among others), and N-601 South of Valladolid, with Madrid getting its part of the latter. Galicia got the former alignments of N-640 from Lalin towards Pontevedra and N-120 East of Ourense (Although I believe N-120 had already been realigned onto what had been C-533 and C-546 for some time with its former route being renumbered to C-536). Catalonia got N-141 (not to be confused with current N-141, formerly C-141), N-150 and N-152 (except for the section that ran concurrent with and is now N-260), as well as N-230 South of Lleida and some former alignments of N-II in Barcelona province (which changed in the 70s. Catalonia now is even in charge of the later N-II alignment along the coast which is still signed as such). Aragon got the former alignments of N-240 and N-330 (the latter became part of C-125 for the last few years, now A-1205). Then there's the recent 'downgrades' of parts of N-320 and N-420 in Castile La Mancha. And of course Navarre and the Basque Country, which maintain every road except AP-68 (And I believe N-629 is also maintained by Fomento even in the short section through Lanestosa in extreme Western Biscay).
N-430 was constructed with the same itinerary as does today, just woth a gap of 24 km that had until 2.005.
N-640 already went through its actual itinerary.
Also some words whose were by-passed by new way.

And aroumd Malaga, the confusion is there because they constructed a new road in the early 70's to go to Malaga from Sevilla/Granada/Cordoba. Until a few years ago, the old road were recognizable because its super high km posts, unusuall for a C-XXX (it started in Madrid).

And there weren't N-435R or something similar. They were two N-435, one from Zafra, one from Badajoz. They were two N-111, one from Pamplona, one from San Sebastian.
And N-240 to San sebastian was being N-130 for some years.

And N-232 had two mains ramal, to Vitoria and two santander, and another mini-ramal with his old design. And in theory, the main ramal is to Vitoria (which in practice, still is).
Farnan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 12:41 AM   #6637
CNGL
Leudimin

It seems you are right with branches. I remember seeing an old km marker replica, it was km 651 of N-VI. The current road is not that long, but at one time N-651 was a branch of N-VI, and that km marker existed at Fene. Branches were signed as plain N-xxx, but logged as N-xxxR.

As for N-430, I have to disagree. The Plan Peña specified the following route for N-430 across Extremadura (I'm using current numbering): Unbuilt route from San Pedro de Mérida (Southwest from current startpoint at Torrefresneda) to Yelbes, BA-146, EX-206, EX-104, EX-348, unbuilt route from EX-115 to EX-103 branch, EX-350 and EX-103. I investigated this since otherwise it would have left C-420 and C-423 with 'hanging' endpoints!
Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:20 PM   #6638
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
The picture would have looked even better if he had had the chance to catch a train on the viaduct.
That would need extraordinary timing or just plain luck, as the train has a frequency of only 4 times per day in each direction...

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2016, 04:45 PM   #6639
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Of course, I know it's extremely difficult, I was joking.

But at least now there are 4 trains per day each way. Before the new trains entered into service last July there was only a train per day in each direction between Balaguer and La Pobla.

You can read more information about this line on the Spanish thread on the Railways section.

Bertolt Brecht
Old November 22nd, 2016, 04:53 PM   #6640
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've seen the trains a few times despite the low frequency. My campsite was located near the rail line, near the village of Sant Llorenç de Montgai, on road LV-9047.

LV-9047 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida