daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:39 PM   #6641
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That would need extraordinary timing or just plain luck, as the train has a frequency of only 4 times per day in each direction...
Last Sunday driving back home I literally passed over a train. Now that was right timing.

Earlier that day, I found a very common sign in other countries but a very very rare sight in Spain:

There's one on N-II approaching Bujaraloz towards Zaragoza. Though I have to admit, I already knew of its existence thanks to Street Countryside View.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2016, 10:02 PM   #6642
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Very low volume roads in southern La Rioja. The old N-111 across Puerto de de Piqueras carries only 24 vehicles per day!

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:06 PM   #6643
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is possible.... it is over 1.700m ovsl and has a toll free tunnel to cross the pass.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 05:52 PM   #6644
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3964

A-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A27: Montblanc-East – Valls-North 7.3km (2008 to ?) – projectmap
Good news:

The new Minister of public works (Mr. Íñigo de la Serna) announced yesterday that the works of this section (which includes a 1,5 km long twin tunnel) will be resumed before the end of this month and that (allegedly) there won't be any new interruptions until they're completed.

Although no completion dates were given, as usual, there's a budget allocation for this section of motorway until 2020, which could give us a hint.

Official press release:

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...6-383f64ee5abe

And a picture showing the current situation of the works:

http://www.diarimes.com/noticies/cam...1445_1093.html

Bertolt Brecht

verreme, ChrisZwolle, Highway89 liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:17 PM   #6645
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1189

Speaking of old national roads and its different branches, and new national roads that were formed from Comarcal roads:

Navarre, 1980 vs ~2014:
NW Navarre:

N-111 Estella - Etxarri-Aranatz downgraded to NA-120
N-240 Irurtzun - Tolosa downgraded to NA-1300 (it had been previously renumbered to N-130)

Northern Navarre:

C-133 upgraded to N-121-A
N-121 renumbered as N-121-B
? upgraded to N-138
C-135 (the map wrongly says C-136, which was located in Huesca) upgraded to N-135

Southern Navarre:

C-101 Ágreda - Castejón upgraded to N-113
N-121 Cadreita - Tudela downgraded to NA-134

La Rioja, 1978 vs ~2014:

N-232 (north) downgraded to A-124 (LR-124 still not updated)
N-232 Haro to N-I renumbered as N-124
N-625 downgraded to BU-525

Extremadura, 1980 vs ~2014

N-435R downgraded to EX-101

Old November 24th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #6646
CNGL
Leudimin

May I ask where you found those 1978-80 maps?

Those maps definitely show that sometime between 1940 and 1978 C-122 up to Gimileo and the entire length of C-120 became a new N-232 parallel to the previously existing one. Also by that time N-124 had been added, taking over C-122 between Gimileo and Haro and some provincial roads in Alava.

PS: N-138 has since been downgraded to NA-138. And I've also noticed that Elorz municipality council has moved from Zabalegui to Noain and the Aranguren one from Zolina to Mutilva Alta, but that is off-topic.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; November 24th, 2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #6647
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-92 Tabernas Desert

I still have some footage from 2015, this is A-92 from Almería to Gérgal, through the Tabernas Desert.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos, ajch liked this post
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #6648
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre

Some photos of N-230 in Aragón, between Alfarràs and Benabarre. It's amazing to drive such roads, good scenery, little traffic and impeccable pavement quality.

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

This is an unusual intersection. You have to make a U-turn to reach N-123 from the south.

N-230 Alfarràs - Benabarre-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

Old November 24th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #6649
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

You still see these quite often in Spain, though every important at-grade intersection seems to be replaced by a roundabout. Never seen something like that in other countries.
Old November 24th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #6650
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Spain has a lot of intersection configurations that you'll rarely - if ever - find in France, Germany, Scandinavia, etc.

I find the U-turns quite useful though. Of course it's not really preferrable for an intersection between two main roads, but otherwise they're useful and prevent people stopping in the 100 km/h traffic lane to make a left turn.
Old November 24th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #6651
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

That interchange in Benabarre is quite weird. A normal "T" interchange with turning lanes for left turns would have been an easier solution.

But maybe the bridge just next to the interchange and the 2+1 configuration of N-230 prevented that possibility due to lack of space.

Bertolt Brecht
Old November 24th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #6652
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

That one is for local traffic only direction Benabarre centre (or Barbastro but I guess no one will take it to go to Barbastro because there is motorway from Lerida)
Benabarre has barely 1500 inhabitants.

I remember, in 2010, when most of works were halted, asphalt there was renewed. Why?, cos contract issues with one company... they did their task while Fomento had A-22 halted some km ahead.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 11:46 PM   #6653
CNGL
Leudimin

The section up to photo number 5 and the section before Vielha tunnel are the only sections of national road in my province I haven't clinched yet (after I took N-II down last Sunday). I should take those any day.
Old November 24th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #6654
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Spain has a lot of intersection configurations that you'll rarely - if ever - find in France, Germany, Scandinavia, etc.

I find the U-turns quite useful though. Of course it's not really preferrable for an intersection between two main roads, but otherwise they're useful and prevent people stopping in the 100 km/h traffic lane to make a left turn.
Generally speaking, Spain treats single-carriageway roads with love unheard of in other countries. In Germany or France you may also find high-standard roads of this kind (with grade-separated intersections, plenty of room to turn left without disturbing traffic on at-grade ones, wide hard shoulders, climbing lanes...), but on short bypasses, not for 300 kilometers straight. And definitely not on roads with very low AADT. Directional signage is also abundant and clear.

My only complaint about Spanish carreteras convencionales is the excessive amount of signage. Speed limits are confusing, warning signs are everywhere and distract you from the actual driving, and every intersection has "Stop" signs where a "yield" would do. Fomento is also building roundabouts everywhere (and Spanish roundabouts are poorly designed: sometimes the approaches have two lanes towards the roundabout, but the roundabout itself does only have one. Plus our driving code is unclear on how to behave inside it) and many 100+ km long drives on this kind of roads are no longer non-stop.
Old November 25th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #6655
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
That one is for local traffic only direction Benabarre centre (or Barbastro but I guess no one will take it to go to Barbastro because there is motorway from Lerida)
No.

The N-230 - N-123 interchange in Benabarre is also used by traffic going from Barcelona (and other areas in Catalonia) to the Benasque valley, a popular ski destination.

The route via A-2 (Barcelona - Tàrrega), C-53 (Tàrrega - Balaguer), C-26 (Balaguer- Alfarràs), N -230 (Alfarràs - Benabarre), N-123 and N-123a (Benabarre - Graus), and then A-139, N-260 and again A-139 up to the Benasque valley is 50 km shorter than the one using A-2, A-22 and N-123 via Barbastro (and 10 minutes faster).

I've always chosen the first route to go to Benasque on winter weekends and that U-turn in Benabarre used to be quite crowded with cars going towards N-123.

Bertolt Brecht
Old November 25th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #6656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
My only complaint about Spanish carreteras convencionales is the excessive amount of signage. Speed limits are confusing, warning signs are everywhere and distract you from the actual driving
I've noticed this too. Even the most minor roads have a huge load of traffic signs compared to most other countries. Safety equipment is also quite extensive (such as crash barriers on very minor roads). I wonder what the reason is that Spain uses so many signs.
Old November 26th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #6657
ChrisZwolle
Road user

When did the Balearic Islands renumber its roads? I've found a document dating back to November 2004 that still used the 'PM' numbers instead of 'Ma'. It also uses the carretera comarcal numbers.

* PM-1: Ma-1
* PM-19: Ma-19
* PM-27: Ma-13

The Balearic network was officially defined in 1990, according to Wikipedia. Another document from 2008 shows the new numbers, with a reference to BOIB núm. 61 de 27/09/2005
Old November 26th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #6658
RV

Likes (Received): 275

U-turns and local industrial or private accesses even on Autovías - Spanish roads have sure much in common with the Baltics, Belarus and Russia (the older ones).
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #6659
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

There are no U-turns in Spanish autovías.

Private and industrial accesses are very rare, but there might still be a few left in first generation autovías (definitely not in the ones built since 2000).

Generally speaking, Spanish autovías have nothing to do with the roads you mention, which I believe share some features with British A-roads.

Bertolt Brecht
Old November 26th, 2016, 06:39 PM   #6660
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Fuerteventura

A quick update on motorways currently under construction on the island of Fuerteventura (Canary Islands):

Quote:
FV1: Corralejo – Caldereta 18km (? to September 2017) – ? – map
On November 24 the first carriageway of the northern part of this section opened between Corralejo and Lajares (6 km). It will be used by traffic in both directions until the second carriageway is ready in mid-2017.

Quote:
Fuerteventura.- Tramo de la nueva autovía Corralejo-Geafond -Lajares se pondrá en servicio el jueves 24 Noviembre

http://www.fuerteventuradigital.net/...eptiembre.html
Construction of the southern part of this section (Lajares - Caldereta, 12 km) is also advancing and will be ready next year:

Quote:
Fuerteventura : Jueves 22 Septiembre comienzan trabajos de asfaltado de 12 kilómetros entre Lajares y Caldereta

http://www.fuerteventuradigital.net/...eptiembre.html
However, a partial opening of the first carriageway on this 12 km section, just in direction Caldereta, could take place before the end of 2016:

Quote:
Apertura parcial de la autovía del norte a partir de noviembre

En noviembre de 2016 se procederá a la apertura parcial del tramo Corralejo-Lajares: una calzada con dos sentidos, similar a la actual carretera pero por el nuevo tramo, mientras se continuará trabajando en la segunda calzada. A final de 2016, se procederá a la apertura parcial del tramo Lajares-La Caldereta: una calzada de dos carriles con un único sentido sur, de tráfico abierto para todos los vehículos pero obligatorio para el tráfico pesado que sale de Corralejo en dirección a la capital; así se descargará la densidad de tráfico de la actual vía costera y se favorecerá la seguridad al quitar los camiones.

Por último, se estima que a mitad de 2017 se procederá a la apertura total de la autovía La Caldereta-Corralejo.

http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?Id=438021
Quote:
FV2: Costa Calma – south of Costa Calma 2.5km (? to December 2016) – ? – map
This section is still slated for opening next month:

Quote:
El tramo de autovía Costa Calma-La Barca entra en funcionamiento en diciembre de 2016

http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?id=435975

Bertolt Brecht

Highway89, MichiH liked this post

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida