daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #6861
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3924

"de" in Spanish usually means "of" or "from".

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #6862
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

A bit of insight on the old local network. Before the 80s, there was a extensive three-layered network maintained by the Ministry of Public Works (today's Fomento), which included national, regional (comarcal) and local roads. N and C roads were numbered using the same pattern for both, while local road numbering was a little more complicated: The prefix matched the provincial code for license plates (with Corunna being LC since C was already assigned to regional network, obviously there were no motorways back in the day and as such Alicante went with A, this may explain the prefix mess we have for motorways now), the first digit was a 'zone' indicator like national and regional roads, but since there were so many local roads these zones were bordered by national roads (and sometimes regional roads) and assigned a random number from 1 to 9; the second digit was more or less a sub-zone within a zone, and the third digit was assigned sequentially, so roads with correlative numbers could be found near each other, e.g. HU-330 near HU-331 (the latter now part of A-1227). And if a local road reached a provincial border, it would change the prefix but not the number. The roads maintained by the provinces where then numbered as 'children' of these in the form PC-V-xxxy, where PC is the provincial code and y assigned sequentially, which mostly started at their corresponding PC-xxx but not always (e.g. HU-V-3303 starts at N-240, not HU-330). In that case they were numbered from the closest local road. Also of note is that sometimes two zones starting with the same number would occur in a province, and even correlative roads could be in two different parts, e.g. Z-310 was (and still is) nowhere near Z-311; the first belonging to the Huesca zone 3 enclosed by N-240 (part of it now A-132), N-330 (part of it now A-1205), C-138 (now N-123, A-138, A-2210, again A-138, N-260, A-135 and an unbuilt section) and the French border that caught a bit of Zaragoza province, the second belonging to the Soria-Zaragoza (and a bit of Navarre) zone 3 enclosed by N-II, N-232, N-121 (now N-121-C), N-122 and N-234 (For interest Z-310 is the road from A-132 to Riglos station which becomes HU-310 upon hitting the provincial border; and Z-311 is the Calatorao station road 150 km away).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

adevahi, Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by CNGL; February 19th, 2017 at 09:26 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 08:55 PM   #6863
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A-1 Vitoria - Altsasu

Some photos of A-1 from Vitoria to Altsasu. This is an east-west running portion of A-1 (which generally runs north-south). It is in both Basque Country and Navarra.

A-1-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-12 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-16 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-18 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-22 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-24 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-26 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-27 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-29 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-31 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-33 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-34 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:20 AM   #6864
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some photos of A-1 from Vitoria to Altsasu. This is an east-west running portion of A-1 (which generally runs north-south). It is in both Basque Country and Navarra.
At least Alava has taken its time to change N-I to A-1, unlike Guipuscoa...
Quote:
A-1-8 by European Roads, on Flickr
... but they didn't revert N-102 and N-104 back to N-I.
Quote:
A-1-22 by European Roads, on Flickr
Notice this sign mixes Basque and Spanish. If it was fully written in Spanish it would say "Araya San Roman", while if it was so in Basque it would say "Araia Durruma".

BTW, this municipality has a different name to that of its seat, Asparrena. In such cases I like to attach the municipality name to the seat name, thus Araia becomes Araia (Asparrena).

PS: There are several duplicated roads in Alava and Aragon: A-124, A-126, A-132 and A-2602. I have clinched the Aragonese version of all but the last. There's a A-2604 in Alava but in Aragon that designation is skipped.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; February 23rd, 2017 at 12:30 AM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:37 PM   #6865
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some serious damage to A-7 between Carchuna and Castell de Ferro in Granada province. This section opened in 2015, completing the motorway in this region.

Old February 24th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #6866
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19160

Didn't last very long...

Is it some landslide caused by bad weather?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #6867
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NA-137 Collado de Piedra de San Martín

Some photos of Navarra autonomous road NA-137 across the Collado de Piedra de San Martín, better known in French as the Col de la Pierre Saint-Martin.

NA-137-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

NA-137-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

NA-137-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

NA-137-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

At the summit, looking southwest into Spain

NA-137-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

NA-137-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

A Basque sign.

NA-137-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

The landscape is quite nice, the trees and rocky terrain reminded me of what I've seen from the Sierra Nevada in California.

NA-137-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

NA-137-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

NA-137-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

The highest point of this range is the 2507 meter high Pic d'Anie. Nearby is also the highest point of Navarra at the Mesa de los Tres Reyes (2428 m).

NA-137-11 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old February 27th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #6868
Metred

Likes (Received): 4356

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post

Notice this sign mixes Basque and Spanish. If it was fully written in Spanish it would say "Araya San Roman", while if it was so in Basque it would say "Araia Durruma".

BTW, this municipality has a different name to that of its seat, Asparrena. In such cases I like to attach the municipality name to the seat name, thus Araia becomes Araia (Asparrena).
This is not uncommon in Alava and I believe this is due to some minor entities (such as Araia, which belongs to the municipality of Asparrena as you mentioned) having a more established name in Spanish. Most Basque municipalities (with very few exceptions) have adopted either a Basque only or Basque-Spanish mixed name officially. Up until the 1980s all names were in Spanish, but in areas where Basque is more prominent (Bizkaia and Gipuzkoa), most people still knew and used the Basque place names.

However in many places in Alava, especially where Basque had been gone for a longer time, people know certain towns and villages with very specific names, usually in Spanish. So someone might realise that Araia and Araya are the same place, but the distinction might be more difficult in the case of San Román (Durruma) or the neighbouring San Millán (Donemiliaga).

The ideal thing would be to use both names (given that both are official), but perhaps they decided to be more practical and just give one town the Basque name (more recognisable) and the other one the Spanish one.
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #6869
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

A-11

A 71.4 km section of future A-11 motorway between Zamora and the Portuguese border has been put to public information for the purposes of environmental assessment. It will have an estimated cost of €328M (€4.5M/km).

http://www.fomento.es/MFOMBPrensa/No...4-8189006b0ce6

Once completed, it will connect with Portuguese A4, becoming thus the 6th motorway connection between Spain and Portugal (the 5th one, Spanish A-62 with Portuguese A25, will be ready next year).

I guess only the Dutch - German border has more motorway border crossings.

Bertolt Brecht

solchante liked this post
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #6870
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

I've never driven this stretch and I know it's the fastest route between Madrid and Porto, but is this motorway really necessary?

VITORIA MAN liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #6871
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It will be the quickest route from Northern Portugal to Catalonia.

However the traffic volumes are very low, only 2,000 - 2,500 vehicles per day on most of the route, increasing to 4,200 vehicles just west of Zamora.

On the other hand, the pricetag is very low. In many countries you don't even get a decent two-lane road for that kind of money. We have an upcoming road project in the Netherlands that cost that much money per kilometer...
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #6872
verreme

The price is low, but the existing road is okay. It's a typical Spanish 100 km/h road (2 lanes with hard shoulders). There are even bypasses with grade-separated junctions. And traffic will not increase to reasonable volumes just because there's a motorway. With 2.000 vehicles per day not even road safety is a concern. Okay, the Portuguese have finished their part of the motorway, but we all know it was built because their economy was booming and they had too much money.

Spain has many other road projects already U/C that are stopped or being built at a very slow pace because of the lack of funds. There are a handful of them in my area and dozens in the whole of Spain. I'd like to see them finished instead of pouring money into these motorways in the middle of nowhere.
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #6873
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I think that the current AADT is not relevant but the future AADT once A11 will be completed all the way to Catalunya...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #6874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Portugese A4 made more sense than A-11. In Portugal, the older roads are narrow, curvy and the terrain is mountainous. A motorway like A4 offers much more safety and shorter travel times than A-11 would in Spain.

Bypasses at Alcañices and Fonfría could also do the job... I agree that money would be better spent on other projects, such as A-11 between Soria and Valladolid. Traffic volumes are also low in Soria province, but A-11 would increase connectivity for traffic within Spain (combined with A-15 and the Tarazona shortcut to A-68).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old February 27th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #6875
verreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I think that the current AADT is not relevant but the future AADT once A11 will be completed all the way to Catalunya...
There's no way AADT could increase to reasonable volumes (10.000 vpd) just because there's a motorway. And I don't think there's that much traffic between Catalunya and Porto. I mean, Ryanair will get you there for €30. There's no point on doing 1.000+ kilometers by car.

I also think that Spain should start planning to widen the existing toll roads, because when the concessions expire (many of them will do so in the near future) they won't be able to cope with the traffic. AP-7 between Tarragona and Valencia and between Valencia and Alicante will be very congested in summer weekends and there are no plans to add more lanes.

In some cases congestion will be unbearable. I honestly fear the day C-32 becomes toll-free. Its busiest stretch carries almost 100k vehicles per day -and parallel N-II has 60k. Combined, this will be hell on earth, not only because of congestion on the motorway itself, but also because it has very few junctions and local roads leading to them will have serious problems to handle traffic (evening rush hour is already a mess in Alella toll gate, for example). And Generalitat de Catalunya wants to downgrade N-II and turn it into an "urban boulevard" to divert traffic from it. Which is in my opinion a mistake, because the coastline is heavily built-up and thus in need of a decent, fast road with no roundabouts every 100 meters. If the proposed "Ronda del Maresme" (a dual-carriageway road with at-grade junctions next to C-32) had not been ditched, this would be a bit less of a problem.
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #6876
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I guess not only from Barcelona/Zaragoza but from somewhere in France too. It would be another "gate" to enter into Portugal

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #6877
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

It would be interesting to know how much of the traffic on N-II between Montgat and Malgrat de Mar is local and how much of it is long-distance traffic.

While the former should be rerouted to C-32 to eliminate traffic on the coastal road, the latter should use AP-7 or, in the future, B-40. IIRC, the southern tip of A-2 near Vidreres is to be connected with B-40 near Granollers thanks to a new toll-free motorway (A-7?).

In any event, the current situation of N-II along the coast is not satisfactory neither for drivers nor for the residents of the coastal towns.

Bertolt Brecht
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #6878
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Okay, the Portuguese have finished their part of the motorway, but we all know it was built because their economy was booming and they had too much money.
No, we built it to serve Bragança (urban pop. 22 000 and the most isolated provincial capital in Portugal) a decent connection with the rest of the country. The other 15 km from Bragança to the border were made just because A-11 was planned on the other side of the border. Perfectly unnecessary, since Bragança-Quintanilha carries only 1900 vehicles per day presently. But let's not forget, once A-11 is completed it will be the fastest connection between the north of Portugal and France, substituting the current alternative via Chaves and León. It's probably not worth building 71+15 km of motorway for that, but at least it's something.
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #6879
ChrisZwolle
Road user

GI-632 Autovía de Deskarga

Construction has resumed on GI-632, also known as the Autovía de Deskarga. The 5 kilometer segment from Antzuola to Bergara will be completed in March 2019.

http://www.diariovasco.com/gipuzkoa/...228130904.html

September 2016 photo:

GI-632-21 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old March 1st, 2017, 03:59 PM   #6880
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

Driving through Castilla y León (Spain) from Valladolid to Salamanca 11.12.2016 Timelapse x4

solchante liked this post
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida