daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:09 PM   #6881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Z-40 Zaragoza

Some photos of Z-40 around the large city of Zaragoza. Z-40 forms a full loop around Zaragoza, the northern and western part is also numbered A-2 (I'm guessing it's primarily considered to be A-2 as it is much older than the rest of Z-40). The eastern part runs concurrent with A-23 but is primarily signed as Z-40. The southern segment is the shortest and is only signed as Z-40.

The southern part opened in 2003, the eastern part in 2008.

Z-40 Zaragoza-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Z-40 Zaragoza-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

Z-40 Zaragoza-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. The A-23 interchange. I was surprised they did not sign Valencia as it is much more important than Teruel and near the terminus of A-23.

Z-40 Zaragoza-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

5. I did not expect to see Castellón here either, it is signed via A-68 and N-232 and is quite far away, in fact I wonder if A-23 & A-7 isn't a quicker route.

Z-40 Zaragoza-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

6. Puerto Venecia

Z-40 Zaragoza-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

7. Z-30 is the third ring road of Zaragoza, it is an urban arterial.

Z-40 Zaragoza-13 by European Roads, on Flickr

8. The A-68 interchange. Traffic to and from A-68 uses a roundabout.

Z-40 Zaragoza-17 by European Roads, on Flickr

9. The bridge across the Ebro River.

Z-40 Zaragoza-18 by European Roads, on Flickr

10. N-II

Z-40 Zaragoza-20 by European Roads, on Flickr

Z-40 Zaragoza-23 by European Roads, on Flickr

12. The A-2 interchange. From here, it is only signed as A-23.

Z-40 Zaragoza-24 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:46 PM   #6882
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is a big messy-blessy

Northbound was always A-2... since 1980ish or so... It is being changed to Z-40 and currently people use more Z-40, but still you will hear both names (and signs of E-90, of course)

A-23 started in another point in the northbound and was restricted to 80 at the begining. With the final ring they changed. But the Zaragoza ring was always set as Z-40 in that part.

A-2 ==> A-68 has lights that.... never have been turned on!!!!!. A-68 ==> A-2 has lights on night, thus driving there will cause you passing from a lighted area to darkness whilst night.

About signs... Barcelona and Madrid are exemptions... they point almost always next province capital and A-23 next one is Teruel (in the region is very well-known and people know destinations after that city, even if it is the smallest capital in Spain)

Castellon has really no sense to be pointed via A-68. It is faster via A-23 (and a few more km. only)... they should sign Alcañiz/Vinaroz (or even... Tarragona too!!).

If you come from the northbound they will point A-68 Alcañiz/Castellon trhough ARA-A-1. It is well played. They changed signs and they "invite" you to take A-68 only for local destinations. Far away, keep in the A-2 and later ARA-A-1

If you go to Huesca, you can find the exit to nowhere. I really do not know why the hell they built this exit

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.69467...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

From the begining. two additional exists have being created in the Z-40:

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.60871...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

and

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.62025...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

The interchange Z-40-A-2 is so really messy that I am surprised no accidents have had place there.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM   #6883
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3964

A-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A33: Jumilla – Yecla 23.4km (December 2014 to 2018) – ? – map
Works are really advanced on this section.

The video has both Spanish and English subtitles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencenico71 View Post
Vídeo del estado del tramo entre Jumilla y Yecla de la A-33, grabado el pasado mes de Diciembre de 2016:

Se puede apreciar en el mismo, que el tramo entre ambas localidades avanza a muy buen ritmo, incluso es posible que se termine antes de lo previsto, que era en 2018.

El problema que yo veo, una vez se termine este tramo, es el importante cuello de botella que se va a producir en la carretera de Pinoso, ya que el tramo que continuaría a éste, el de Yecla a Caudete, no está siquiera licitado, y va a pasar tiempo hasta que se pueda terminar. Eso provocará que los vehículos tendrán que abandonar la N-344, circular por una carretera como la RM-424 (antigua C-3223) y a través de una rotonda, incorporarse a la A-33.

En este mapa se puede ver muy bien a lo que me refiero:

El punto clave es la línea azul discontinua, en la unión con la C-3223. Y por cierto, el ahorro de km entre el cruce de la A-31 con A-33 hasta el comienzo de la A-33 actualmente en Jumilla, comparada con la N-344, es considerable.

Esperemos que pronto se pueda licitar el tramo entre Yecla y Caudete, y al menos se pueda viajar entre la A-31 y la A-33 hasta Murcia por autovía, ya que parece que no llevan mucha prisa por acabar el tramo de Fuente La Higuera, mientras sigue habiendo más muertes por accidentes de tráfico... A algunos se les debería caer la cara de vergüenza, pero como no la tienen....

Mas info: aquí

PD: Corregido enlace de youtube, ahora sí se ve perfectamente
Sadly the other section of A-33 under construction, between A-31 and A-35, is only advancing very slowly, although a possible opening next summer has been announced in some local newspapers.

Meanwhile, there have been several deadly car crashes in the old national road, so people are logically fed up with the situation (works started in 2008!).

And to make matters worse, construction works on the middle section (Yecla - A-31) haven't been tendered yet, so it's very likely that it will become a major bottleneck once its two neighboring sections open in the short term, given A-33 will be the shortest route between Valencia and Murcia.

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:54 PM   #6884
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

About bottlenecks at the end of a motorway, this is all of what exists of A-23 East of Sabiñanigo at the end of a weekend. The section is between two that are yet to start construction, and the jam happened a couple weeks ago. Photo is from regional newspaper Heraldo de Aragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some photos of Z-40 around the large city of Zaragoza. Z-40 forms a full loop around Zaragoza, the northern and western part is also numbered A-2 (I'm guessing it's primarily considered to be A-2 as it is much older than the rest of Z-40). The eastern part runs concurrent with A-23 but is primarily signed as Z-40. The southern segment is the shortest and is only signed as Z-40.

The southern part opened in 2003, the eastern part in 2008.
Yawn.

(I drove all of this once again in mid February)

The Northern section indeed uses A-2's kmposts and exit numbers (as those where in place long before Z-40 was even planned), but is primarily signed as Z-40.
Quote:
4. The A-23 interchange. I was surprised they did not sign Valencia as it is much more important than Teruel and near the terminus of A-23.
That is surprising to an outsider, especially considering Zaragoza is signed all the way from A-23's start in Murviedro (Sagunto), and Teruel doesn't exist anyway.

(Yes, Teruel is our own Bielefeld )
Quote:
5. I did not expect to see Castellón here either, it is signed via A-68 and N-232 and is quite far away, in fact I wonder if A-23 & A-7 isn't a quicker route.
Indeed, is faster to go to Castellon via A-23 and N-225. In fact VMSs once advised to take this route (But that was around the Moto Grand Prix of Aragon).
Quote:
12. The A-2 interchange. From here, it is only signed as A-23.
I see you were headed to my hometown . This part of A-23 is newer than the rest of it to Huesca (which was built in the late 90s as N-330). In fact, when the motorway was renumbered A-23 it used what is now N-330 into Zaragoza, which has a few intersections due to a military base. They even built a huge roundabout in the middle of it which created traffic jams. Eventually they tunelled the road under the roundabout, but at the same time they built a bypass to this section. As a result it reverted to N-330, while A-23 North was changed from N-330's kmposts and exit numbers to the current ones.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #6885
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3964

FV-2, Fuerteventura

This week good news finally arrived from the island of Fuerteventura, Canary Islands:

Quote:
FV2: Costa Calma – south of Costa Calma 2.5km (? to Early 2017?) – ? – map
March 2017.

Quote:
FV2: south of Costa Calma – north of El Salmo 4.4km (? to ?) – ? – map
Late 2017.

Source:

http://www.noticiasfuerteventura.com...de-costa-calma

http://www.rtvc.es/noticias/obras-pu...x#.WLxg5js19PY

Bertolt Brecht

verreme, simondanut, MichiH liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #6886
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19216

TF-1 on the island of Tenerife:

P3020281
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020282
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020292
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020293
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020294
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020296
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020297
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020298
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #6887
geogregor

P3020299
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020300
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020301
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020302
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020303
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020304
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020305
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020306
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #6888
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

weird to see "santa cruz" only.
Official name is "Santa Cruz de Tenerife" and canaries are proud of their names (once, a SSC banner was critiziced because full name of a canary city wasn't correct, only half of it).

I remember to see "Pto. Rosario" for Puerto del Rosario and for instance, the another capital is "Las Palmas de Gran Canaria" (Las Palmas is only the province name)

Old March 6th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #6889
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Is fuel very expensive in the islands, or not really (since they are close to major oil producers)?
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #6890
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fuel is much cheaper in the Canary Islands than the rest of Spain (in turn, the rest of Spain is cheaper than most of Western Europe). Prices are under € 1 per liter according to El País
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #6891
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yeah... but I have chosen randomly one petrol station near a relative house and it is only 10 cts cheaper.

Regions are entitled to have about 5-6 cts for taxes. Canary took them several years ago. I remember being in Catalonia, returning to Aragon and noticed fuel was cheaper. Later going to Canary islands and, due to those regional taxes... it was cheaper too, but not so cheaper

BTW... Ceuta and Melilla fuel prices are lower too.

Old March 6th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #6892
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Nice to see some Canary Islands scenery, I had to set the clock one hour back. National radio stations always say "It's <insert current time here>, one hour less in the Canary Islands", and I like to mock-up with things like "It's noon, midnight in the Canary Islands".

Back in the peninsula (as we call the mainland), works on several sections of A-23 continue. The tunnel on the Isuela gorge-Arguis section is almost completely dug (only 20 meters to go). Much like the two already existing sections, when this one, the long tunnel on the Monrepos summit-Caldearenas section and the connection back to the existing road (on the Caldearenas-Lanave section) are ready traffic will be routed in the new roads while the existing ones are renovated. This include restoring the old C-136 to serve as service road.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

arctic_carlos liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #6893
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Are there any restrictions, of special provisions, for drivers of EU-plated cars wanting to take them to Ceuta or Melilla?
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #6894
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are there any restrictions, of special provisions, for drivers of EU-plated cars wanting to take them to Ceuta or Melilla?
No, there aren't. They have standard Spanish plates: four numbers, three letters.

Till year 2000 they had the province code: CE for Ceuta and ML for Melilla, but nothing far away.

In addition, cars in Ceuta, Melilla and Canary islands are cheaper than in mainland (and Balearic islands).
Should any citizen move to mainland, they will have to pay extra taxes when car register in files. They will calculate current car price (providing type of car, years and so on) and official taxes to be payed

Old March 6th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #6895
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Little off-topic

Till year 2000 all provinces had their code in the plates.
One or two letters. M for Madrid, MA for Malaga, ML for Melilla, MU for Murcia and so on.

Some of them changed: OR (Orense) changed to OU (Ourense). GE (Gerona) changed to GI (Girona), PM (Palma de Mallorca) changed to IB (Islas Baleares) they took city name and changed to region name. By the way, currently city is just "Palma" (not "de Mallorca" any more)

There are more special names

CME is for Catalan police
E is for Basque police, but a special type of letter
MMA is for environment ministery
ET is for country army
EA is for air army
FN is for navy army
CNP: (cuerpo nacional de policía) is for national police. They have had several names in plates
PGC (patrulla de la guardia civil) is for civil guard troops

and some historical names:

SH was for Sahara desert province
IF was for Ifni corner, both of them nowadays in Morocco

FP was for Fernando Póo province (the part of Equatorial Guinea where Malabo is, in the main island) https://www.google.es/maps/@3.472216...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

RM was for Río Muni (Muni River), the part of Equatorial Guinea in Africa mainland
https://www.google.es/maps/place/Cog....7036743?hl=es

Old March 7th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #6896
geogregor

Quote:
Is fuel very expensive in the islands, or not really (since they are close to major oil producers)?
As Chris said fuel is cheaper than in the mainland. I was positively surprised as I was worry that it will be other way around (the whole trip was organised in 4 days so I didn't have much time to do any proper research )
I paid less than 1 Euro per litre.

BTW, here is one gas station

P3020291
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Entering Santa Cruz again, later in the day:

P3020448
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020449
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3020450
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

TF-1 on the way from Los Gigantes in the north west corner of the island towards the airport:

P3030575
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030576
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030578
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030579
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #6897
geogregor

P3030580
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030581
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030582
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030583
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030584
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030586
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

There are also some 2+1 stretches:

P3030573
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3030574
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #6898
Boltzman
S = k ln Ω

Quote:
Quote:
Fuel is much cheaper in the Canary Islands than the rest of Spain (in turn, the rest of Spain is cheaper than most of Western Europe). Prices are under € 1 per liter according to El País
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Yeah... but I have chosen randomly one petrol station near a relative house and it is only 10 cts cheaper.

Regions are entitled to have about 5-6 cts for taxes. Canary took them several years ago. [...]

BTW... Ceuta and Melilla fuel prices are lower too.
The reason fuel is cheaper in the Canary Islands compared to mainland Spain is not exactly regional taxes, but the fact that the Islands are out of the VAT area. This means way less taxes. This already happened in Francoist Spain, so when Spain accedded the EU special provisions were made for the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla. There is however a VAT-like tax (called IGIC) which is notably lower (7%) than its mainland Spain counterpart (21%).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specia...European_Union

Quote:
In general no, unless you move to the Islands. As I said above, they lay outside the EU-VAT area, so while still Spain, you should import your car at customs, even though the car may already hold a Spanish plate (yes, there are customs controls between the Islands and mainland Spain).

Edit: However, the Islands are inside the EU customs area. These special provisions are possible due to the Canary Islands being an EU-Outermost Region.

Edit: Ditto in the case of Ceuta and Melilla - they are out of the EU VAT Area as well as the EU customs area. However, there is free of movement for the whole national territory. If you move there, your car must go through an import procedure at customs. Then you and your car can enjoy the half-price tickets whenever you travel to mainland Spain.

arctic_carlos, geogregor liked this post

Last edited by Boltzman; March 7th, 2017 at 12:32 PM.
Boltzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #6899
geogregor

TF-21 in Teide National Park:

P2280041
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P2280044
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3010144
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3010183
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3010235
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3010236
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3010273
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

TF-21 heading down:

P3010278
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #6900
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Stunning scenery!

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida