daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #6921
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

If you count through roads and not dead ends, LP-4 on La Palma is also around 2300 m.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:57 PM   #6922
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

La Ragua pass on A-337 reaches 2039 meters (the signs there say exactly 2000, the more precise 2039 figure is taken from the National Geographic Institute map), I thought it was higher. Then there's the planned Chistau-Benasque road, which if built it would reach 2024 m. Too bad they didn't built the Spanish side of Bujaruelo pass (2272 m).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
According to altitude data in Google Earth, TF-21 reaches just over 2350 m. TF-24 also runs around 2300 m. There is an unpaved side road from TF-21 that goes up the slopes of Teide up to 2700 m, it's mapped in Google Earth but closed to traffic.
TF-1 reaches 2363 meters according to the same maps.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #6923
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

You are right!!

Canary islands are vulcanos starting on the bottom of the sea and there are some of them that hasn't reached sea level (thus no island).

That's the reason of situation of them. For instance, small island of El Hierro takes more than 1000 for only 30 km corner to corner. They took a way using water and mountains to get 80% of power for island.

There are so small population that they preferred to built more tunnels but... one way only, with traffic lights.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

simondanut liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #6924
Boltzman
S = k ln Ω

Calar Alto pass in Almería province is said to reach 2155 m.
Boltzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #6925
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-2606 Baños de Panticosa

Some photos of road A-2606 in Aragón, in the Pyrenees. It gains altitude from 1100 meters near Panticosa to 1650 meters at Baños de Panticosa, a high-altitude spa resort. It is very scenic, the surrounding mountains reach to 3000 meters.

A-2606-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-2606-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-2606-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-2606-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-2606-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-2606-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

verreme, arctic_carlos, Attus, solchante liked this post
Old March 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #6926
CNGL
Leudimin

I drove that road a few days before the shots, as an ultra trail race was run in the area (which incidentally climbed from Baños de Panticosa to one of these 3000+ meter peaks). Apart from the spa resort there is a mountain hut, Casa de Piedra. From there one can reach several mountain lakes or ibones as they are called in this area.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #6927
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

They made shells against snow but every year resort remains isolated due to weather. They are prepared and they offer customers to remain there "until possible" or be helped asap by traffic and road maintenance and cancel part of reservation without fees. Once or twice, every winter.

Resort was discovered by Romans in 1st century and it is written Nobel award Ramon y Cajal was there to stay after an illness.

By the way, at Panticosa ski resort (downtown) cable is operating in summer too and I took once a nice picture of spa resort (*) going up (it reached a difference of 800m)

(*) Spa is in Latin "Sanitas per acquae" (Health from waters). Never best written 'cos discovered by Romans.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 01:17 AM   #6928
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

[A4]
Driving through Andalucía (Spain) from Jerez de la Frontera to Cádiz 17.12.2016 Timelapse x4

solchante, Luki_SL liked this post
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #6929
CNGL
Leudimin

During some earthworks on the Caldearenas-Lanave section of A-23 they discovered an explosive from the Civil War (fought in the late 30s). It was removed this afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
By the way, at Panticosa ski resort (downtown) cable is operating in summer too and I took once a nice picture of spa resort (*) going up (it reached a difference of 800m)

(*) Spa is in Latin "Sanitas per acquae" (Health from waters). Never best written 'cos discovered by Romans.
Nope! AFAIK the spa is named after a Belgian town.
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #6930
jf_bgt

Likes (Received): 0

great view on the roads...
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #6931
CNGL
Leudimin

I thought it was dead, but I was wrong. A-40 between Avila and Maqueda has been put to public information for the purposes of enviromental assesment. There's a preferred alternative, but all options are open to consultation.

arctic_carlos, MichiH liked this post
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #6932
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Will it be in the future part of the M-120?
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #6933
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3963

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A1051: Las Losas – Cortijos de Marin 4.9km (2011 to Late 2017) – ? – map
The official deadline is September 20, 2017, but they expect to open it a little earlier, during the summer. It had a 75% degree of execution in January.

Source: http://roquetas.ideal.es/roquetas/no...303164410.html

Quote:
A63: Cornellana – Doriga 2.4km (? to June 2017) – ? – map
They now announce summer 2017 as a generic opening date (official deadline is September 30, 2017). It had an 80% degree of execution in December 2016. Works started in 2006, they were suspended in 2010 and restarted in 2015. Maximum speed will be 80 km/h.

Source: http://noticiasdeloccidente.com/2016...lometros-hora/

Quote:
A54: Lavacolla – Arzua-West 18.5km (? to 2017) – ? – map
Postponed to 2018. Works haven't seen any significant advance during 2016 and currently the degree of execution is 51% (one year ago it was 50%).

Source: http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia...02L21C5996.htm

Quote:
A44: Las Gabias (A338) – Alhendin 6.1km (Late 2016 to Late 2018) – ? – map
Current degree of execution is 12%. Works actually started in September 2016.

Source: http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/201...a-en-2018.html

Quote:
SE40: Espartinas (A49) – Almensilla ~7km (? to 2017) – ? – map
SE40: Almensilla – Coria del Rio ~7km (? to 2017) – ? – map
SE40: El Copero – Carretera de la Isla (A4) ~2km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
SE40: Carretera de la Isla (A4) – Torrequinto (A376) 8.1km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
Interesting video showing the degree of execution in February of the 4 sections of SE-40 currently under construction:

http://sevilla.abc.es/sevilla/sevi-s...7_noticia.html

There are no announced changes in their expected completion dates, although the second section is perhaps less advanced than the other three. There's still no official decision regarding the Guadalquivir river crossing. After the works of the planned tunnels were suspended, there are every now and then rumors of a replacement by a bridge. But nothing serious yet.

Bertolt Brecht

MichiH liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #6934
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Quote:
SE40: Carretera de la Isla (A4) – Torrequinto (A376) 8.1km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
I took photos this morning in the mentioned section (A-376/A-4 south):

https://goo.gl/photos/KpXG6unrh4ofzpao8

They were taken by me this morning in the Carretera Dos Hermanas - Montequinto, between Avenida Adolfo Suárez and Avenida Plácido Fernández Viagas, next to the morgue of Dos Hermanas.

As it can be seen, there will be 6 beams crossing over this road, 4 of them had already been colocated before my arrival (they started the collocations yesterday, 16/03), the 5th was prepared (it can be seen in the 2nd and 4th photograph) while I took the photos (around 11 am), so I supposed that by now they have maybe finished collocating the last one.

After this, there will be at least 3 more viaducts in this section of SE-40 - all of them to the west (over Avenida de las Universidades, N-IV and A-4). No other beam has been colocated still (I think), but I really expect to see the beams collocated over Avenida de las Universidades in around a month, it would be something beautiful to see (longer beams, over an important road, and very easy to arrive, so if I can go I would also take more photos ).

For explaining myself better, the photos have been taken in the east edge of this location, while Avenida de las Universidades is in the west edge:
https://www.google.es/maps/@37.30040.../data=!3m1!1e3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
There are no announced changes in their expected completion dates, although the second section is perhaps less advanced than the other three. There's still no official decision regarding the Guadalquivir river crossing. After the works of the planned tunnels were suspended, there are every now and then rumors of a replacement by a bridge. But nothing serious yet.
This are the last new. The link speaks mostly about a footbridge over the future SE-40 which has been announced now (works hasn't started for this footbridge yet), but in the last paragraphs it gives information about the tunnels (or maybe bridge) for crossing the river:

http://elcorreoweb.es/provincia/fome...oria-NA2763791

Quote:
Por otro lado, Niño ha hecho referencia a los túneles bajo el Guadalquivir entre Dos Hermanas y Coria y, tras recordar la modificación del proyecto para resolver los problemas geotécnicos planteados para garantizar la estanqueidad, ha asumido que es un caso «complejo» que Fomento está estudiando.

De la misma forma, ha trasladado que esa falta de estanqueidad ha exigido un nuevo estudio de capacidad hidráulica, toda vez que la Confederación Hidrográfica del Guadalquivir ha exigido que se calcule el caudal un para periodo de 500 años y ha advertido de que cuando este tema esté resuelto se procederá a aprobar el proyecto modificado y se podrá continuar con las obras.

«El Ministerio, como es lógico, no ha renunciado a la ejecución de las obras, que son complejas, con un coste muy importante --más de 600 millones de euros-- y que se considera fundamental, porque la SE-40 es necesaria para resolver los problemas de tráfico», ha incidido.
It explains there are technical problems in the project, something that could be suspected according with the big delayment that this section is having. In particular, the projected tunnels would have problems with the "water tightness" (it is said like that?).

Highway89 liked this post

Last edited by adevahi; March 17th, 2017 at 06:36 PM.
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #6935
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3963

A-14

Quote:
A14: Alguaire – Lleida (A2) ~8km (October 2013 to May 2017) – ? – map
Construction works on this section are quite advanced, the final layer of asphalt is being laid out right now. It will probably open at the end of May.

Bertolt Brecht

Highway89, Luki_SL liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #6936
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1189

Quote:
What is this?

A-21-25 by European Roads, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevahi View Post
If someone can answer... what is this? It seems just a monument, but to complicated for being this the only purpose.

Edit: the full perspective on google maps helped: https://www.google.es/maps/@42.62267...8i6656!6m1!1e1
There is a quarry next to it, or at least there was on may, 2015. I suppose this structure is a necessary protection for the small stones and sand that can reach the road.

Perspective from the path of the quarry:
https://www.google.es/maps/@42.62315...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Here's an aerial view of the structure:

It indeed seems to be what adevahi said.
Old March 25th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #6937
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-1 Etxegarate

A-1 from Navarra into Basque Country, across the infamous Etxegarate Pass. Southbound there are hairpin turns, northbound runs across a more modern alignment. Going northbound, the motorway descends 450 meters in just 8 kilometers.

1. Altsasu, known for its location on the A-1/A-10 interchange.

A-1-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. Paris 857 km!

A-1-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-13 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

10. We've descended to 200 meters above sea level.

A-1-17 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-1-18 by European Roads, on Flickr

12. The Etxegarate.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highway89, arctic_carlos, Luki_SL, Attus liked this post
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #6938
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17474

Quote:

2. Paris 857 km!
Paris on this sign look very strange
Old March 25th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #6939
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1189

It brings me back memories . My parents and I used to spend many summer weekends on the Basque coast and we would cross both the Lizarraga (formerly a branch of the N-111) and the Etzegarate mountain passes. The hairpins at Etzegarate, although easier, were way more dangerous because of the truck traffic. I even remember buying some delicious Idiazabal cheese at the venta on the top of the pass

Apparently, it wasn't until the early 2000s that the second carriageway was finished. Here's a picture from 2001. Judging from the amount of earth moved, I don't think it would've been much more costly to build a second tube. Especially taking into account how important this route was.

BTW, the name of the pass was changed from Etxegarate to Etzegarate at some point between 2013 and 2015. If my limited knowledge of the Basque language isn't wrong, the old name means something like "house on the mountain pass".

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #6940
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The old N-I across the Etxegarate Pass simply became a one-way road for southbound traffic once the northbound carriageway opened to traffic in 2003.

I too wondered why they didn't build a decent southbound carriageway at that time, it doesn't seem prohibitively expensive. All they needed to do was build a twin-tube tunnel at Etxegarate like they did 1 kilometer to the north and build the southbound carriageway right next to the northbound one.

arctic_carlos liked this post

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida