daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2017, 02:28 AM   #6941
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The old N-I across the Etxegarate Pass simply became a one-way road for southbound traffic once the northbound carriageway opened to traffic in 2003.

I too wondered why they didn't build a decent southbound carriageway at that time, it doesn't seem prohibitively expensive. All they needed to do was build a twin-tube tunnel at Etxegarate like they did 1 kilometer to the north and build the southbound carriageway right next to the northbound one.
I tend to think that the reason was exactly the same as today's reason for not signing A-1 in Guipuzkoa: it's a secondary connection, even if it carries the biggest amount of traffic - and the less traffic it carries, the better.

It was already like this back then: there was no AP-1 connecting Vitoria and Eibar, A-1 west of Vitoria didn't exist and climbing the Etxegarate pass was a torturous thing to do due to the huge amount of trucks it used to carry on a single-lane, curvy road. Still, there was already a decent alternative: taking AP-68 to Bilbao and then AP-8 all the way to France was as fast - if not faster sometimes - than N-I in spite of being tolled and 30 km longer. When the Spanish government decided to build a second carriageway in Etxegarate, they were already thinking of building the new AP-1, so they duplicated the only missing section of N-I in that area as cheaper as possible. I think they thought, "whoever wants a better road, well, just pay the tolls and it's done".

Last edited by rpc08; March 26th, 2017 at 02:34 AM.
rpc08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #6942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

That's probably what they've wished for indeed. But it is a known fact in Spain that toll roads are underutilized and motorists like to take toll-free roads if reasonably possible. I also think the amount of long-distance traffic (San Sebastián - Vitoria) is not that huge.

A-1 at Etxegarate carries only 14,500 vehicles per day. At the same time AP-1 carries 12,000 vehicles per day. Those are not very high traffic volumes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #6943
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3932

Despeñaperros pass on A-4 used to be like A-1 in Etxegarate until they opened the new alignment 6 years ago and shut down the old southbound carriageway (which had previously been the old two way national road).

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #6944
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
That's probably what they've wished for indeed. But it is a known fact in Spain that toll roads are underutilized and motorists like to take toll-free roads if reasonably possible. I also think the amount of long-distance traffic (San Sebastián - Vitoria) is not that huge.

A-1 at Etxegarate carries only 14,500 vehicles per day. At the same time AP-1 carries 12,000 vehicles per day. Those are not very high traffic volumes.
Looking from the point of view from San Sebastian, N-I (it remains with that name, no A-1 in Guipuzcoa) is a dual carriageway.

Should they want to go to Pampelune: A-15
to Vitoria: AP-1

N-I for local traffic only (from their point of view)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #6945
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post
When the Spanish government Guipuscoa decided to build a second carriageway in Etxegarate, they were already thinking of building the new AP-1, so they duplicated the only missing section of N-I in that area as cheaper as possible. I think they thought, "whoever wants a better road, well, just pay the tolls and it's done".
FTFY.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #6946
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Basque Country is interesting because the autonomous community does not maintain any roads. All roads (except for AP-68 I believe) are provincially owned.
Old March 26th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #6947
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Basque Country is interesting because the autonomous community does not maintain any roads. All roads (except for AP-68 I believe) are provincially owned.
True.... AP-68 is the only road (tolled motorway) managed by state and mainained by a company

It crosses five regions: Basque country, Castilla y Leon (https://www.google.es/maps/@42.63522...!3m1!1e3?hl=es, Miranda junction is in Basque country but ahead it crosses..), La Rioja and Navarra twice and Aragon

Old March 26th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #6948
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post
I tend to think that the reason was exactly the same as today's reason for not signing A-1 in Guipuzkoa: it's a secondary connection, even if it carries the biggest amount of traffic - and the less traffic it carries, the better.

It was already like this back then: there was no AP-1 connecting Vitoria and Eibar, A-1 west of Vitoria didn't exist and climbing the Etxegarate pass was a torturous thing to do due to the huge amount of trucks it used to carry on a single-lane, curvy road. Still, there was already a decent alternative: taking AP-68 to Bilbao and then AP-8 all the way to France was as fast - if not faster sometimes - than N-I in spite of being tolled and 30 km longer. When the Spanish government decided to build a second carriageway in Etxegarate, they were already thinking of building the new AP-1, so they duplicated the only missing section of N-I in that area as cheaper as possible. I think they thought, "whoever wants a better road, well, just pay the tolls and it's done".
It should be specified that it is Gipuzkoa's provincial government that took the decision, not the Spanish government.

Toll roads in Gipuzkoa are operated by Bidegi, which is a publicly owned corporation. Therefore, the AP-1 in Gipuzkoa was built with taxpayer's money, unlike those within the remit of Fomento. As a consequence, any decision regarding the construction of toll-free roads in Gipuzkoa is heavily influenced by the existing toll roads, since they don't want to lose the revenue they get from the tolls.

This also explains why the N-I from San Sebastián to the French border was renumbered to GI-636, or why no traffic signs mention Vitoria or Burgos via the N-I: https://goo.gl/maps/BFqUJ8GXed62

Regarding the AP-68 and AP-8 as a route between Burgos and France, it's also worth mentioning that there has never been a direct connection between them. You have to take the BI-625 (old N-625) between Arrigorriaga and Basauri: https://goo.gl/maps/kMSnZc1tnzn

arctic_carlos liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #6949
CNGL
Leudimin

I already fixed that. I don't follow some of their numberings, for me N-I is A-1 and GI-636 is N-I (Except for a short duplicated section that is also A-1 for me).
Quote:
Then there's the case of N-629 in extreme Western Biscay, which is owned by the province but maintained by Fomento. It would be pointless to have another manager for just three km. Anyway, that part is already a practical exclave due to a strategically placed true exclave of Cantabria.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #6950
CNGL
Leudimin

Some time ago Chris was surprised to see Castellon signed from Zaragoza through A-68 and he wondered if it would be faster to go via A-23. Indeed it is because N-232 still has a couple substandard sections. One is the Querol pass East of Morella, the contract to upgrade it to current standards has been awarded this week, which results a 38.4% cheaper than estimated (but this doesn't include the possible illegal comission ). Further up the road I don't know if they have finally restarted works on the upgrade of Valencian community border-Rafales section.
Old March 29th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #6951
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

AFAIK, they are halted since 2010.... and would be quite eaaaaasy to finish them as soon as main infrastructure is already done.

Old March 29th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #6952
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

AFAIK works were restarted in May 2015. Just google "N-232 Ráfales" and you'll find lots of recent press articles from regional newspapers about the works being resumed:

http://www.bajoaragondigital.com/ind...a-3&Itemid=146

http://www.levante-emv.com/comunitat...r/1267638.html

http://www.elperiodicomediterraneo.c...on_973278.html

http://www.heraldo.es/noticias/arago...6_1101027.html

EDIT: there are even pictures of the works taken last year:

Source: https://www.socytop.es/topografia-ob...-de-castellon/

Bertolt Brecht

Highway89, verreme liked this post

Last edited by arctic_carlos; March 29th, 2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #6953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

FV-2 Fuerteventura

Quote:
30 March 2017

A 2.5 kilometer extension of the FV-2 motorway opened to traffic on the island of Fuerteventura, near the resort town of Costa Calma, from the west side of Costa Calma to a roundabout near Los Gorriones / La Barca.

http://www.rtvc.es/noticias/abren-al...al-162887.aspx
Some more information is in this press release by the Gobierno de Canarias: http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/no...-fuerteventura

They say the remaining 4.8 km segment of FV-2 from Costa Calma to the Pecenescal stream could be completed by late 2017 or early 2018.

They also mention some more information about the corridor, which I'm not entirely sure they mean. Are they planning to bring all of FV-2 to autovía standards?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos, MichiH liked this post
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #6954
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Yes, their goal is to upgrade the whole north-south axis along the Eastern coast of the island (both FV-1 and FV-2) to motorway standards, from Corralejo in the north to Morro Jable in the south (100 km long).

They say that by the end of the year 35% of the corridor will be already complete, and construction works should start soon between Caldereta and the Airport, including the bypass of the island's capital city, Puerto del Rosario.

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by arctic_carlos; March 30th, 2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old March 31st, 2017, 09:14 PM   #6955
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Motorways under construction in Catalonia

The Spanish government has recently announced (or confirmed) the opening dates of some motorway sections currently under construction in Catalonia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
B40: Olesa de Montserrat – Viladecavalls (C16) 6km (2007 to Early 2018) – projectmap
Delayed to October 2019. The boring of the 1,2 km tunnel is quite advanced (75% degree of execution), but works are yet to be resumed in the interchange with C-16 in Viladecavalls.

Quote:
N-II: Terradelles – Vilafreser (AP7) 3.3km (June 2015 to 2018) – ? – map
October 2017.

Quote:
A2: Macanet de la Selva (C35) – Sils 2.7km (July 2015 to Late 2018) – ? – map
2018 (no changes, apparently).

Quote:
A2-AP7: Castellbisbal (A2) – Castellbisbal (AP7) 1km (2007 to ?) – projectmap
April 2018. Works are suspended at the moment because the project is being updated.

Quote:
B25: Cornella (A2) – Sant Boi de Llobregat (C32) 2km (2009 to suspended) – projectmap
December 2018. Works are still suspended (I witness it every week when I drive to Barcelona), but at least there's now a new deadline. The project must be updated, allegedly.

Quote:
B24: Vallirana-West – Vallirana-East 2.1km (2005 to January 2018) – projectmap
Some sources maintain the early 2018 deadline, while others delay it to 2019.

http://www.elpuntavui.cat/territori/...a-variant.html

Quote:
B21: L´Hospitalet (B10/C31) – Harbor Barcelona 3.5km (December 2014 to March 2018) – ? – map
Suspended. Works actually stopped a few months after having begun, but there wasn't any official statement about that fact. At least now I've found a press article from last January mentioning the issue:

http://www.ara.cat/economia/obres-ac...724827521.html

For the other sections, I've used the data provided in this press article: http://www.ara.cat/politica/LEstat-o...768023264.html

Bertolt Brecht
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:08 PM   #6956
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

So they're pushing completion dates to the next election year now that the political situation has more or less stabilized .
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #6957
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1182

The draft of the 2017 budget for the Spanish central administration has been released today.

I've selected the main projects (>1 million EUR) for every region. Some projects may have finished already, but the last payment hasn't been done so they still apear on the list. Anyway:

Cataluña:
A-2 Conexión Baix Llobregat - AP-7
A-2 Enlace Vidreres
A-2 Maçanet-Sils
A-2 Tordera-Maçanet
A-2 Medinyá-Orriols
N-II Reordenación de accesos y enlaces en Tordera
B-40 Olesa-Viladecavalls
A-27 Variante de Valls-Montblanc
Acceso al puerto de Barcelona desde el Cinturón Litoral
A-14 Lleida-Roselló
A-14 Almenar-LP Huesca
N-340 Variante de Vallirana
N-152 Ribes de Freser-La Molina
N-240 Duplicación Lleida-Les Borges Blanques

Galicia
A-54 Lavacolla-Arzúa
A-54 Arzúa-Melide
A-54 Melide-Palas de Rei
A-54 Villamoure-Nadela y conexión con Lugo
A-56 San Martiño-Enlace Barrela
A-52 Vigo-Porriño
A-52 Remodelación enlace Puzo-Lira
A-56 Variante Norte de Ourense Eirasvedras-Quintela
A-57 Vilaboa-A Ermida
A-57 A Ermida-Pilarteiros
A-74 Barreiros-Foz
A-76 Requejo-A Veiga de Cascallá
A-76 A Veiga de Cascallá-O Barco de Valdeorras
Ampliación Alfonso Molina AC-11
AP-9 Conexión A-54 con AP-9
AC-15 Enlace Meicende AC-415
AP-9 Acceso Ciudad de la Cultura
Intercomunicador A-54 y N-540 en Guntín
Nuevo enlace en el PK5 de la AC-12
N-640 Variante de Estrada

Andalucía
A-44 Albolote-Santa Fe
A-44 Santa Fe-Las Gabias
A-44 Las Gabias-Alhendín
GR-43 Pinos Puente-Atarfe
A-32 Semienlace Baeza
A-32 Úbeda-Torreperogil
A-32 Torreperogil-Villacarrillo
A-32 Villacarrillo-Villanueva del Arzobispo
A-32 Villanueva del Arzobispo-Arroyo del Ojanco
A-32 Arroyo del Ojanco-Puente de Génave
A-32 Puente de Génave-LP Albacete
SE-40 Almensilla-Espartinas
SE-40 Coria del Río-Almensilla
SE-40 Alcalá de Guadaíra-Dos Hermanas
Nuevo Acceso a Cádiz
A-7 La Gorgoracha-Puntalón-Enlace N-340 (Puerto de Motril)
A-7 Motril-Carchuna
A-7 Mejora accesos en Marbella
Acceso norte al aeropuerto de Málaga desde la nueva ronda de circunvalación oeste de Málaga
Duplicación N-350. Acceso sur al puerto Bahía de Algeciras
A-49 Tercer Carril Ginés-Bormujos - Sanlúcar-Benacazón
A-4 Remodelación enlace SE-20
A-4 Dos Hermanas-Los Palacios y Villafranca
Acondicionamiento conexión N-340 con acceso norte al puerto de Algeciras
N-440 Enlace La Rábida y puerto exterior Huelva
A-48 Tarifa-Algeciras

Asturias
Accesos al Musel. Lloreda-Veriña
Accesos al Musel. Vial de Jove
A-63 Dóriga-Cornellana
A-63 Cornellana-Salas
N-621 Castro Cillórigo-Panes (Desfiladero de La Hermida)

Cantabria
A-8 Solares-La Encina
A-8 La Encina-Torrelavega
Ronda Bahía Santander. Parbayón-Cacicedo
A-67 Ampliación de capacidad y ramal de continuidad. Enlace Sierrapando-Barreda
A-8 Tercer carril Laredo-LP Vizcaya
A-67 Enlace de Raos y acceso al puerto de Santander
N-621 LP León-Potes
N-621 Castro Cillórigo-Panes (Desfiladero de La Hermida)

La Rioja
Conexión A-12 LO-20 AP-68
A-12 Santo Domingo de la Calzada-Villamayor del Río
A-68 Arrúbal-Navarrete (Variante Sur de Logroño)

Región de Murcia
MU-30 Autovía del Reguerón
A-33 Jumilla-Yecla
Convenio autovía Zeneta-Santomera

Comunidad Valenciana
Acceso Sur al puerto de Gandía
A-33 Tramo A-31 A-35
N-220 Acceso al aeropuerto de Valencia
N-332 Variante de Benisa
N-323 Variante Sueca (Tramo II: Variante Cullera y Favara)
N-232 Barranco de la Bota-Masía de la Torreta
N-232 Masía de la Torreta-Morella (Sur)
Duplicación Variante de Torrevieja
A-3 Tercer carril Buñol-Valencia

Aragón
A-23 Arguis-Alto de Monrepós
A-23 Monrepós-Caldearenas
A-23 Caldearenas-Lanave
A-23 Lanave-Jabarrella-Sabiñánigo
A-21 Jaca Norte-Jaca Este
A-21 Jaca-Santa Cilia
A-21 Santa Cilia-Puente la Reina de Jaca
A-21 Puente la Reina de Jaca-Fago
A-22 Siétamo-Huesca
A-68 Figueruelas-Gallur
A-68 Gallur-Mallén
N-232 LP Castellón-Rafales
N-260 Congosto del Ventamillo-Campo

Castilla-La Mancha
Autovía Toledo-Ciudad Real. Variante de Fuente del Fresno

Canarias
GC-1 Agüimes-Santa Lucía

Extremadura
Ronda Sur de Cáceres (Conexión A-58 con A-66)
Nuevo puente en Cabezuela del Valle
Duplicación A-81 Badajoz-Espiel
N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-Navaconcejo
Duplicación acceso a Badajoz por la N-432

Madrid
Variante A-1
A-5 tercer carril Móstoles-Parque Coimbra

Castilla y León
A-62 Fuentes de Oñoro-Frontera Portugal
A-60 Santas Martas-León
Circunvalación Segovia SG-20
A-11 La Mallona-Venta Nueva
A-11 Venta Nueva-Santiuste
A-11 Santiuste-Burgo de Osma
A-11 Burgo de Osma-San Esteban de Gormaz
A-11 San Esteban de Gormaz-Langa de Duero
A-11 Langa de Duero-Aranda de Duero
A-11 Alcañices-Frontera Portugal
A-11 Quintanilla de Arriba-Olivares de Duero
A-11 Olivares de Duero-Tudela de Duero
A-73 Báscones de Valdivia-Aguilar de Campoo
A-73 Pedrosa de Valdelucio-Báscones de Valdivia
A-67 Nuevo enlace en PK 108,750
BU-30 Quintanadueñas-Villatoro
A-12 Ibeas de Juarros-Burgos

ChrisZwolle, solchante liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #6958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-136 Puerto de Portalet

Some photos of A-136 across the Puerto de Portalet, from France into Spain. I did not expect to see some glaciers in the Pyrenees. Though come to think of it, Perdido does have some small glaciation as well.

A-136 Portalet-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-136 Portalet-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-136 Portalet-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-136 Portalet-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-136 Portalet-5 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old April 6th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #6959
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Hi Chris.

Didn't you stopped at border and spotted binational corner for exhibitions in former booths?

It is the point I have written in previous messages (and garage in French side for maintenance machines where gate is too small)

About glaciers, main ones are near Aneto mountain, the highest in the Pyrenees but you crossed near someones

copyright free for image. It is an official webpage about natural parks or environments in the region of Aragon (and welcome again to my region... you are really spotting too much here. )

In third picture, it is Formigal houses for ski resort. Nowadays it is the greatest in Spain.

For "road archeaology", former road go after Formigal to Sallent de Gallego (you will see a small road) and... somewhere it is possible to see an old milestone spotting.... distance to Huesca!!!!!! because it was route Huesca-Sabiñanigo-France.

Huesca-Jaca/Pamplona was via Ayerbe and Monrepos mountain pass was a local road only!! thus milestones coming from Huesca.

solchante liked this post
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #6960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An environmental zone will be established in the Barcelona metropolitan area.

http://premsa.gencat.cat/pres_fsvp/A...o-barcelona.do

There will be a ban on delivery vans prior to 1/1/1994 and passenger cars older than 1/1/1997 during poor air quality days from 1 December, it will become permanent on all days from 1 January 2019.

It's not stated how they are going to enforce this. Evidently there is an environmental sticker issued by DGT.

I hope they're not going to introduce an obligation for all passenger cars to have a sticker. France and Germany also have them, it's ridiculous that each country can introduce their own environmental stickers while they all use the same EU Euro emission standards.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida