daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #6961
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

AS-19, Gijón

Fomento has awarded a € 33.08 million contract to expand a 3.5 kilometer segment of AS-19 near Gijón to autovía standards.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #6962
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3991

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's not stated how they are going to enforce this. Evidently there is an environmental sticker issued by DGT.

I hope they're not going to introduce an obligation for all passenger cars to have a sticker. France and Germany also have them, it's ridiculous that each country can introduce their own environmental stickers while they all use the same EU Euro emission standards.
I received my sticker (B) by post last week. They are sending them to all car owners, apparently. However, they state in a letter that it's not compulsory to stick them to the car's windshield, although highly recommendable.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #6963
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
An environmental zone will be established in the Barcelona metropolitan area.

http://premsa.gencat.cat/pres_fsvp/A...o-barcelona.do

There will be a ban on delivery vans prior to 1/1/1994 and passenger cars older than 1/1/1997 during poor air quality days from 1 December, it will become permanent on all days from 1 January 2019.

It's not stated how they are going to enforce this. Evidently there is an environmental sticker issued by DGT.

I hope they're not going to introduce an obligation for all passenger cars to have a sticker. France and Germany also have them, it's ridiculous that each country can introduce their own environmental stickers while they all use the same EU Euro emission standards.
All passenger cars will be required to have a sticker, except pre-Euro 3 petrol cars and pre-Euro 4 diesel ones (IIRC, I'm not sure about the exact date). These ones will be downright banned from all low-emission zones. Stickers are being sent nationwide by DGT (Dirección General de Tráfico) and for now they're not mandatory, but only because there are no restricted areas yet.

I'm sad about this ban. It's not citywide like in Paris -it's the whole metro area, which comprises 30+ municipalities and is home to 5 million people. And it will become 24/7 in the near future. Classic cars will disappear and our country will lose an important piece of its history. Not to mention that many people (sometimes the most vulnerable, like the poor or the elderly) will lose their means of transportation.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #6964
ChrisZwolle
Road user

By 2019 the far majority of passenger cars will be less than 22 years old. So they are basically putting a burden on nearly the entire fleet (a sticker) to ban a small minority of vehicles.

I'm not sure whether the poor will be really impacted that much. In the Netherlands you can buy a car from 1997-2000 for a few hundred euros. Of course it's inconvenient if you have to ditch your 22+ year old car, but on the other hand you can buy an emission zone compliant vehicle for very little money.

I wonder if motorways are exempt.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #6965
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

What will be the procedure for foreign cars driving in the restricted areas?

geogregor liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #6966
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19313

Quote:
We have the EU with all the supposed freedom of movement but you might soon need a 20 bloody windscreen stickers to drive a holiday road-trip from, let say, Poland to Spain

It looks like more and more countries have either the motorways vignettes or the environmental stickers or both.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #6967
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
I wonder if motorways are exempt.
The restriction will apply to all kinds of roads (including motorways) within the concerned municipalities. But I'm sure AP-7 will be exempt given it's the main axis along the Mediterranean coast and it doesn't run through the metropolitan area, it only borders it.

Bertolt Brecht
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #6968
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N-230

A scenic stretch of N-230 leading up to the Val d'Aran and Vielha Tunnel:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kunagi, Highway89, simondanut liked this post
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #6969
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

SE-40

The Spanish Minister of Public Works visited today the construction works of SE-40 (outer bypass of Seville) and announced the following completion dates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
SE40: Espartinas (A49) – Almensilla ~7km (? to 2017) – ? – map
Almost ready. Opening is expected during the summer of 2017.

Quote:
SE40: Almensilla – Coria del Rio ~7km (? to 2017) – ? – map
70% degree of execution. Expected opening in late 2017.

Quote:
SE40: El Copero – Carretera de la Isla (A4) ~2km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
SE40: Carretera de la Isla (A4) – Torrequinto (A376) 8.1km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
36% degree of execution. Expected opening in March 2018.

Quote:
SE40: Coria del Rio – El Copero ~3.5km (? to suspended) – ? – map
Besides, he announced that the government is waiting for a technical report on the planned tunnels under the Guadalquivir river in order to take a decision about their future. I remind you that construction had already started on that section when works were suspended, but now depending on the results of the new assessment the tunnels could be cancelled and a bridge built instead.

Source: http://www.diariodesevilla.es/sevill...127887895.html

Bertolt Brecht

verreme, MichiH liked this post
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:01 PM   #6970
ChrisZwolle
Road user

C-28 Port de la Bonaigua

A trip up the Bonaigua Pass (2072 meters above sea level) in the Pyrenees.

Old April 21st, 2017, 09:47 PM   #6971
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is part of history

In october 1944, opposition to Franco regimen invaded Spain. They chose a later autumn date after Paris had been reconquered and area chosen vas Viella and surroundings because it was the most isolated area in Spain due to it is "in the other side of Pyrenees".

Port de la Bonaigua was a single non paved path and Viella tunnel (old one of course) wasn't still finished.

They took some villages but there were two important points in that little (six days) war.

- A high position level in the army was in Viella those days. He organized all guards and army
- Even if autumn, it had hardly snowed in the valley. They phoned Barcelona to move militaries asap but could cross Bonaigua, they had to took away snow before crossing.

That little war was finished. Opposition went back to France and for a while there were among army and police 40% of population in the valley!!

And... it was the reason to increase building speed for tunnel. It was opened four years later after being a long time u/c.

Edit

Found this wikipedia page but no English version. Only Spanish and French
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_du_Val_d%27Aran

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:51 PM   #6972
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Great video! I'm not used to see this road without snow as I always go there in winter to ski in the area on top of the pass (part of the bigger Baqueira-Beret ski resort).

A few comments:

Until 2008 most of the lower part of the road used to be like the narrow part you can see from minute 1.20, and the narrow road went through both Esterri and València d'Àneu. The improvement was great and it saved up to 10 minutes. It's a pity they left that short part in a substandard condition (the improvement would maybe require some tunneling).

In winter the mountains you can see in the last part of the video (from where the hairpin turns start) are usually covered with a lot of snow, and the pass is often closed to traffic. Needless to say the landscape is amazing with so much snow, it really feels like being in the Alps.

Bonaigua Pass is the only natural connection between the Aran valley and the rest of Spain.
And it used to be the only one until the Vielha tunnel opened in the 1940s. That means that the valley was isolated from the rest of the country for 4-5 months each year given the harsh winters. The connection between the Aran valley and France was always open, though.

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:51 PM   #6973
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

C-28 has a short sector that is narrower on that video. Are there plans to widen it?
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:13 PM   #6974
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-176 Valle de Hecho

A-176 in Aragón, into the Valle de Hecho, from Puente de la Reina de Jaca to Hecho. It is a surprisingly well-built road, better than most maps indicate, it only shows up in Google Earth when you're zoomed far in.

A-176 Valle de Hecho-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-176 Valle de Hecho-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-176 Valle de Hecho-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-176 Valle de Hecho-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-176 Valle de Hecho-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-176 Valle de Hecho-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-176 Valle de Hecho-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Aranou liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:23 PM   #6975
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Being an "orange" road it's no surprise why it's well-built. A-176 is also an anomaly in the numbering of the roads of Aragon, as there's no way for a 7 to be the second digit under that system (A remnant of Plan Peña). A-134 is not used and would have fitted better, however I suspect they numbered it A-176 to match NA-176 in Navarre.

Oh, and I like to use the Aragonese spelling for this place, so it's Echo Valley (no echo occurs, however).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 08:12 PM   #6976
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

About Echo/Hecho

It is an area where they spoke a Celtic language not far from Basque. It is supposed that Echo and Ejea (de los caballeros) are named after Etxea or something like that (House in Basque).

In Spanish they decided to set a H to distinguised it from former name.

Road Puente la Reina de Jaca - Echo was fully refurbished in 1998 when I remember crossing it. I do not know when it was upgraded but in that year it was. As other Aragonese roads, after refurbishment, enough to pave from time to time.

Echo-Ansó was built in twice because budget.... yeah, this short distance, in several years, half, and later second half.

After Ansó, never minds direction you take, all roads are quite bad.

But honestly, if you take direct road from Anso to N-240, area near N-240 has a gorge where you will see a lot of people stopped and sppoting gorge. It is breathtaking. I encourage you to take that little local road next time.

adevahi, Kvarner-1 liked this post
Old April 23rd, 2017, 08:30 PM   #6977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That would be A-1602, I also drove that road, they just finished chip-seal so it was like driving on a gravel road with loose stones everywhere. It's much slower than A-176, but Google Earth puts A-1602 as a more important road.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 08:35 PM   #6978
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
That would be A-1602, I also drove that road, they just finished chip-seal so it was like driving on a gravel road with loose stones everywhere. It's much slower than A-176, but Google Earth puts A-1602 as a more important road.
yes, it is.

Near Berdun it has the gorge you could see.... sometimes if you have freetime and no hurry there are local roads that deserves to make a detour. Next time, just ask and will find a nice route

Old April 24th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #6979
Metred

Likes (Received): 4356

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
About Echo/Hecho

It is an area where they spoke a Celtic language not far from Basque. It is supposed that Echo and Ejea (de los caballeros) are named after Etxea or something like that (House in Basque).

In Spanish they decided to set a H to distinguised it from former name.

Road Puente la Reina de Jaca - Echo was fully refurbished in 1998 when I remember crossing it. I do not know when it was upgraded but in that year it was. As other Aragonese roads, after refurbishment, enough to pave from time to time.

Echo-Ansó was built in twice because budget.... yeah, this short distance, in several years, half, and later second half.

After Ansó, never minds direction you take, all roads are quite bad.

But honestly, if you take direct road from Anso to N-240, area near N-240 has a gorge where you will see a lot of people stopped and sppoting gorge. It is breathtaking. I encourage you to take that little local road next time.
You're entirely right, but just a small correction; Basque is not a Celtic language, so what they used to speak in that area (northern Huesca) in pre-Roman times was probably another Vasconic language, or maybe Basque itself. There are many Basque place names all across the Pyrenees (at both sides), and yes, it is believed Ejea evolved from Exea, which would be a local form of etxea, "house" in Basque.
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #6980
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I agree... but didn't want to explain all in the context due to it is a road thread.

Language spoken in that area, a bit similar to Basque, comes from Celtics. It is not Basque indeed but language spoken in the area of Jaca. Therefore, you will find some words that have something in common between nowadays name and Basque translation. Not many but they exists.... and Echo valley is one out of they.

Back to roads, Chris... could you see anything about A-21 works there?

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida