daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #6981
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

A-21 is being constructed on the other side of the river, so you don't see much from N-240 between Jaca and Puente la Reina de Jaca. However when I drove A-176 north to Hecho, I passed under an overpass of A-21. The works appeared to be dormant with weeds growing over it.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #6982
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is in the area more near to Jaca where it seems to be more advanced but as you say, in the other side of the river.

If that stretch is opened we will have a motorway-road-motorway-road.... and so on, with small streches and no continuity

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #6983
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-1 Autovía del Norte

A-1 realignment near Pardilla (Burgos province).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza, arctic_carlos, Peines liked this post
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #6984
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1192

There are some more realignments along the A-2, A-3 and A-4:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5528...!3m1!1e3?hl=es
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8573...!3m1!1e3?hl=es
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6509...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

I guess they are all part of the plan for the refurbishment of the oldest autovías.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #6985
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

cool

strongest realignment in A-2 was done here. 2km new
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4544...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

I drove there last sunday and it is impossible to notice about former motorway

Old April 26th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #6986
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1068

Meawhile in Andalusia...
https://www.google.es/maps/@37.24046...8910775,12.34z

(the president of Andalusia when this highway was built was born in Estepa )
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #6987
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's not so crazy as it looks on a map, there is a steep mountain range south of Estepa that rises up some 400 meters from the surrounding land.

They would either have to use tunnels or bypass Estepa too far south, like the railroad.

Old April 26th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #6988
adevahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's not so crazy as it looks on a map, there is a steep mountain range south of Estepa that rises up some 400 meters from the surrounding land.

They would either have to use tunnels or bypass Estepa too far south, like the railroad.
Well, the only mountains are to the north-east of Gilena and Pedrera, the highway didn't have to "bypass" them, just to go more at the south of this mountains. It wouldn't be a bypass because both lines between Osuna and La Roda or between Gilena and La Roda go through a completely plain area, and with the second option, Estepa would be only 7km far from the highway and not having to cross these mountains.

I know the mountains seem to be a good excuse, but I have always think that the southern route is a better option. Estepa is not that big.

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #6989
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3977

Quote:

But if you look at the High Speed Rail line under construction south of Estepa (between Aguadulce and La Roda de Andalucía), you'll see that it avoids the mountain range without a single tunnel.

In my opinion A-92 should be rerouted via Pedrera, leaving the current alignment between Aguadulce and Estepa as part of A-318.

Bertolt Brecht

adevahi liked this post
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #6990
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

A-231 in Castilla y Leon makes a little detour too

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.50318...5219,10z?hl=es

Between Leon and Burgos, direct line would be along Saldaña, not Osorno, but administration preferred to link Carrion and Sahagun.

At least they avoided some other detours of current N-210

Old April 26th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #6991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An alignment south of the mountains would bypass Estepa - the largest town along A-92 in this area and served by 4 exits.

But it would also put other towns like Casariche, Herrera and Puente Genil even further from the autovía, and they have a combined population of over 40,000.

It makes more sense for a high-speed rail to bypass population centers of that size than an autovía.
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #6992
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

But the current alignment of A-92 north of Estepa wouldn't be closed down, it would be left for local traffic to Estepa and as a connection for A-318 towards Herrera and Puente Genil, while the new alignment of A-92 south of Estepa would save more than 10 km for long-distance traffic Sevilla - Málaga / Granada.

Bertolt Brecht
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #6993
Highway89

An autovía and a High Speed Railway aren't designed with the same accessibility criteria in mind. Also, the roads in the area (the Carretera de Alcalá de Guadaira á Casariche first, then the N-334) have traditionally go through Estepa. No wonder the A-92 was built along the same corridor.

Here's a map from the early 1940s:

We could also argue about the A-4 not having been re-routed via Toledo and Ciudad Real, or the A-6 via Segovia, Valladolid and León. That would've made much more sense, IMO.
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #6994
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Okay, I thought we were talking about the historic perspective and motivation to build A-92 around Estepa instead of further south.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old April 26th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #6995
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Also, in between being the Alcala de Guadaira to Casariche road and N-334, the road through Estepa was C-338. N-334 was originally planned to connect Seville and Malaga, leaving A-92 corridor at Osuna and follow what is now A-378, a new alignment from Los Corrales to Campillos and A-357. I suspect the unbuilt section was cancelled and N-334 was rerouted to Antequera over sections of C-338 and C-3310.

BTW, not too far from Estepa is the "red" town of Marinaleda. Who would guess a communist enclave exists somewhere in Spain...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #6996
adevahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
An autovía and a High Speed Railway aren't designed with the same accessibility criteria in mind. Also, the roads in the area (the Carretera de Alcalá de Guadaira á Casariche first, then the N-334) have traditionally go through Estepa. No wonder the A-92 was built along the same corridor.
I didn't know there were historical reasons. In this case, it makes sense, however I listened several times critics about this surrounding made by different people but never heard nothing about the situation of the roads in this area before A-92 were built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
BTW, not too far from Estepa is the "red" town of Marinaleda. Who would guess a communist enclave exists somewhere in Spain...
The communist enclave is even bigger, I would say: Badolatosa, La Roda de Andalucía, Marinaleda, Casariche, Pedrera, Gilena... traditionally had majors of IU with similar policies than Sánchez-Gordillo, but Marinaleda's mayor is just the most mediatic one and the only one in this zone who remained for the longest posible time (since the first democratic elections), 1978
Old April 29th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #6997
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-21 Autovía de Pirineo

I made a video of A-21 from Yesa to Pamplona. It's a really nice autovía, almost no traffic and great wide open landscapes.

ajch, Highway89, rpc08 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #6998
Highway89

Great video. That area of Navarre is one of my favourites. I keep fond memories of a Javierada in which I took part (a pilgrimage towards the castle of Javier).

Also, that distinctive mountain that can be seen at the background many times (3:32, 5:39) is the famous Higa de Monreal. Almost every day I can see its shape ... from Logroño, which is some 80 km apart

Once this autovía (along with the A-23) is finished it'll be a good toll-free alternative to the AP-68+AP-2 for traffic between Bilbao and Barcelona. According to Google Maps, Bilbao-Vitoria-Pamplona-Jaca-Huesca-Lleida-Barcelona is 610 km, while the route via Logroño and Zaragoza is 609 km.
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #6999
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
I made a video of A-21 from Yesa to Pamplona. It's a really nice autovía, almost no traffic and great wide open landscapes.
A-21. I drove it the very same day the video was shot (but I didn't see any Dutch cars), and I may drive it again next Saturday if my plans come through. It doesn't quite reach Pamplona, as it merges onto AP-15/A-15 a few kilometers before in Noain. Also, I didn't see any runners crossing the footbridge at 9:24, there was a trail running race that same day in the area which I attended.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #7000
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

A-73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A73: Bascones de Valdivia – Pedrosa de Valdelucio 12.0km (Early 2017 to 2020) – ? – map
Construction works have recently started in another section of A-73:

A73: Aguilar de Campoo (A67) - Bascones de Valdivia 6.0km (Early 2017 to ?)

Once completed, A-73 will become the shortest connection between Madrid and Santander, thanks to the shortcut between A-1 in Burgos and A-67 in Aguilar de Campoo.

Bertolt Brecht

MichiH liked this post

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida