daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #7161
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Well, you picked the wrong time to take a trip to Spain. Temperatures are going down this week. For example, the forecast max for my hometown for late this week is only 21°C. It has already gone down from 36.1°C on Thursday to 25.9°C today.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #7162
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

CV-10 Autovía de la Plana

A couple of photos of CV-10, which is an extension of A-7 around the Castellón area.

1. At Nules, A-7 splits into N-340 and CV-10.

CV-10-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. The next 5 kilometers is signed as CV-10, but kilometer posts and exit numbers are those of A-7.

CV-10-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

CV-10-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. The actual CV-10 appears to start at Artana, as the exit numbering restarts at 1 and this sign is installed indicating it is operated by the Generalitat Valenciana.

CV-10-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

5. Castellón is served by three exits on CV-10, though it passes fairly far outside of the city, even AP-7 runs west of Castellón as well.

CV-10-25 by European Roads, on Flickr

6. We hit low mountain ranges north of Castellón.

CV-10-37 by European Roads, on Flickr

7. Major cities being indicated here as control cities (not). CV-10 serves an inland route to northern Castellón Province, but there are no sizable towns in that region. Sant Mateu has a population of only 2,000.

CV-10-41 by European Roads, on Flickr

8. Funny comic book style sign.

CV-10-42 by European Roads, on Flickr

9. An unusual sign I'd say.

CV-10-45 by European Roads, on Flickr

10. CV-10 exits here and becomes a decent-standard two-lane road with little traffic. Most toll avoiding traffic uses CV-13 to get to N-340.

CV-10-54 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #7163
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

CV-10 is supossed to be A-7 in future. It will join N-232 at La Jara (hence, change of name)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:09 AM   #7164
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Will it be transferred to Fomento (Spanish Ministry of Public Works) from the regional government?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #7165
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Will it be transferred to Fomento (Spanish Ministry of Public Works) from the regional government?
AFAIK, yes.

Plans are to cross N-232 at La Jana and later, away from coast instead of paralel to N-330

A-68 is supposed to arrive only until La Jana (despite it is only projected, at the moment until Valdealgorfa)

Reivajar liked this post
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #7166
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-15 Autovía del Urumea

Some photos of A-15 near San Sebastián, the segment between Andoain and San Sebastián is known as the Autovía del Urumea, named after the Urumea River. It opened to traffic in stages between 2009 and 2013, creating a bypass for traffic from France to inland Spain, relieving N-I from this traffic. It was previously numbered as GI-131, but renumbered around 2011.

A map:

1. The A-1 (N-I) / A-15 split at Andoain. It features palm trees.

A-15-44 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. The motorway split.

A-15-45 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-15-48 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. Urnieta.

A-15-51 by European Roads, on Flickr

5. Hernani. I like the fact that you can drive 120 km/h on such motorways. In France such 'metropolitan' motorways would be reduced to 110 or even more likely 90 km/h.

A-15-53 by European Roads, on Flickr

6. Hernani is served by two exits.

A-15-56 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-15-57 by European Roads, on Flickr

8. We are approaching the AP-8 interchange. AP-1 is also signed. I find the AP-8/AP-1 concurrency between Eibar and Irun a bit superfluous. It is also not entirely consistently signed. AP-1 is not signed everywhere.

A-15-58 by European Roads, on Flickr

9. Traffic to France branches off.

A-15-60 by European Roads, on Flickr

10. Then traffic to the west.

A-15-61 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Reivajar, arctic_carlos, Highway89 liked this post
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #7167
Reivajar

A bit of inconsistency on signaling Baiona/Bordeaux/Nothing for pointing to France... tricky. It is obvious that in recent years the criteria have been changing a lot.
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #7168
CNGL
Leudimin

I once did some calculations, and when A-15 is completed all the way to Medinaceli (Currently there's a gap between South of Soria and Tudela, except near Agreda where it's already built) exit 168 will be renumbered to exit 323 (If Guipuscoa decides to do so).

Also, Baiona is signed the wrong way, as it is in Pontevedra province not far from Portugal. They should have signed Bayonne instead, as Baiona is not official.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #7169
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

The hint is that if you find any Catalan or Basque speaking cities in France, they will be pointed in that language.

They are mainly Bayonne (Baiona) and Perpignan (Perpinyà).

And in Galicia it exists a town called Bayona in Spanish and Baiona, official name, in Galician.

As a hint, it has one out of the prettiest "parador" (luxurious hotels, property of state and shettled in historic buildings or heritage ones or special locations).

This one has a pretty view over the Atlantic ocean and a history.... in 1492, they were three ships that departure to discover America. When come back, one of them, instead of arriving Andalucia arrived to that castle. I do not know reason.

Old June 28th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #7170
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CV-363

I stumbled across this sign in Valenciana.

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9679...7i13312!8i6656

How old would it be? And what does the 'L' mean?

In another observation, CV-363 runs across Aragón territory for almost 13 kilometers between Valenciana and the Ademuz exclave. There are CV-363 kilometer posts on Aragón territory. There is no access to the rest of the Aragón road network in this area, nor are there any people living there. Hoya de la Carrasca had a population of 2 in 1999.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #7171
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

L- = local ?
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #7172
CNGL
Leudimin

The L stands for local road. Not that hard. And yes, since that section of road is isolated from the rest of Aragon (A-1514 doesn't quite reach it, instead hitting the Valencian community (herein referred to as "Valencia") border a few km to the East), it makes sense for Valencia to maintain it. The Rincon de Ademuz may be a geographical exclave, but is not a road exclave . I'll have to find if a CV-363 exists in Zaragoza province, so there would be two instances of the same road number in Aragon (although I would refer to the one in Zaragoza as ZV-363, if it exists).

BTW, it drives me crazy that there are no "green" roads in Valencia, so it appears all regional roads are either almost national or local, with no comarcal roads. However, some time age I discovered they have an unified numbering system for regional and provincial roads, so if it was to draw a map of Valencia I'd mark the CV-xxx roads owned by the region in green. Also, for the ones owned by the provinces the CV has double meaning, both as referring to the region and as camino vecinal, as used by other provinces such as Zaragoza.

Also, there is no region called "Valenciana". It's always Comunidad Valenciana in Spanish .
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #7173
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

"L-" stands for "Local". That kind of signs was used between 1939 and 1962. Here you have more information: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1215

ChrisZwolle, Reivajar liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #7174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So these 'L' signs actually never had a number indicated?
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #7175
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
So these 'L' signs actually never had a number indicated?
Most of them did. Here's an example from Álava: https://goo.gl/maps/yoVdFnFnEFU2

If I'm not mistaken, those "L-" roads were later renumbered with the provincial prefix. E.g. the L-450 in Albacete became AB-450. But in the case of Álava, I think the prefix remained "L". "CV-" (Camino Vecinal) roads were also renumbered in most provinces to XX-V-1234.

For instance, here's a legal text from 1978:
Quote:
ALAVA
SE PROHIBE CIRCULAR POR LA CARRETERA COMARCAL C-6210, ENTRE CIORROGA (KILOMETRO 30) Y VALMASEDA (KILOMETRO 68).
SE AUTORIZA LA CIRCULACION POR LAS CARRETERAS LOCALES L-121, DE ZAMBRANA AL LIMITE DE BURGOS; L-126, DE OYON AL LIMITE DE LOGROÑO; L-6212 ENTRE CIORROGA (CRUCE CON LA C-6210) Y EL LIMITE DE VIZCAYA, Y L-621, ENTRE VITORIA Y EL KILOMETRO 4.

ALBACETE

CN-322. ENTRE ALCARAZ Y BALAZOTE LA VELOCIDAD NO EXCEDERA DE 40 KILOMETROS POR HORA, Y ENTRE ALBOREA Y EL LIMITE DE LA PROVINCIA DE VALENCIA (KILOMETROS 10 AL 20) LA VELOCIDAD MAXIMA SERA DE 20 KILOMETROS POR HORA, POR EXISTIR NUMEROSAS CURVAS DE PEQUEÑO RADIO.

CC-415 ENTRE ALCARAZ Y ELCHE DE LA SIERRA, P.K. 147 A 239, LA VELOCIDAD NO EXCEDERA DE 20 KILOMETROS POR HORA.

SE AUTORIZA LA CIRCULACION CON VELOCIDAD LIMITE DE 20 KILOMETROS POR HORA POR LAS SIGUIENTES CARRETERAS LOCALES:

AB-450, DESDE CN-330 A CAUDETE.
Notice that, for some reason, "C-" (Comarcal) roads appear as "CC-" (Carretera Comarcal) and "N-" (Nacional) as "CN-" (Carretera Nacional), although officially they were C- and N-.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #7176
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Notice that, for some reason, "C-" (Comarcal) roads appear as "CC-" (Carretera Comarcal) and "N-" (Nacional) as "CN-" (Carretera Nacional), although officially they were C- and N-.
This inconsistent way of naming roads is as well observed sometimes in France (RN for Route Nationale instead of the simpler and oficial N for Nationale, and the same for the RD instead of D for Routes Departamentales).

Similar case in Germany, where sometimes I've seen some Autobahnen named as BAB for Bundesautobahn instead of the more common A for Autobahn.

Actually, I would say that the only country which names roads this way is Italy with the SS, SR and SP (for Strade Statali, Regionali and Provinciali).

Just weird...
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #7177
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In another observation, CV-363 runs across Aragón territory for almost 13 kilometers between Valenciana and the Ademuz exclave. There are CV-363 kilometer posts on Aragón territory. There is no access to the rest of the Aragón road network in this area, nor are there any people living there. Hoya de la Carrasca had a population of 2 in 1999.
La Cervera belongs to Abejuela municipality and they are only two people indeed. Less than 100 (maybe 50) in the whole municipality, a very small village.

These kind of boundary villages have always their own story. For instance, Abejuela citizens are the only one with a health Valencian card and an Aragonese valencian card.

Due to its location it is much cheaper for a doctor going ONCE per week to the village coming from Valencia region rather from Aragon. It is very common in these boundaries villages (for instance all Ademuz exclave has Teruel hospital as main nearest hospital instead of Valencia and surroundings). Administrations calculate how much money does it means and just pay between them and offer service who can do it for less cost. Therefore, Valencian doctor to Abejuela.

So then, they were given a Valencian health card as well they were under cares of Valencian doctors.

Aragon set in pharmacies an electronic system and for a single prescription it could be a nightmare at the begining (not now, they have improved, I am talking about 12-14 years ago) for asking any medicine due to having an outside Aragon health card and being under test phase.

They quarrel due to they said they were also Aragonese and were entitled to have an Aragonese health card. Therefore, administration gave them a health card for all citizens (50ish...) to make them easier to buy in pharmacies at the begining.

Today it doesn't matter this kind of issue because electronic systems are connected but they keep their right to have both health cards... only living at Abejuela (and those two people at La Cervera due to it is officially Abejuela municipality) and nobody else!!.

In terms of roads, there are a lot of roads that could cross a territory, owner doesn't care and neighbour can say that they will take care about the whole road if it doesn't matter. This helps to improve roads in exclaves or in boundaries territories.

Old June 28th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #7178
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

For instance, this road, connecting Sos del rey catolico and Uncastillo (two very pretty villages indeed) crosses a Navarran enclave and it was refurbished by Aragonese administration and remains maintained by them. There are nobody living in that enclave, Navarra doesn't matter almost anything can happen there and do not worry to have an enlarged road.
By the way, this enclave belongs to Petilla de Aragon, the another enclave located in the north and where Santiago Ramon y Cajal (Nobel medicine award) was born by hazard.

Old June 28th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #7179
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Similar case in Germany, where sometimes I've seen some Autobahnen named as BAB for Bundesautobahn instead of the more common A for Autobahn.
Sure? I know BAB from documents* only but never saw it on signs. Maybe on "Stationszeichen"/"kilometric points" which we are about?

*e.g. plan approval documents.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #7180
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Sure? I know BAB from documents* only but never saw it on signs. Maybe on "Stationszeichen"/"kilometric points" which we are about?

*e.g. plan approval documents.
On signs neither for me. But in the case of France and Spain that were mentioned above is the same. You find that kind of naming just on documents or on some works banners by the road installed by a public authority, but not official formal road signs.

I may be wrong, but I've never seen for example a RN or a CN within a red box in France or Spain, even in old signs. But it may have happened.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida