daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:50 AM   #7201
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
This inconsistent way of naming roads is as well observed sometimes in France (RN for Route Nationale instead of the simpler and oficial N for Nationale, and the same for the RD instead of D for Routes Departamentales).

Similar case in Germany, where sometimes I've seen some Autobahnen named as BAB for Bundesautobahn instead of the more common A for Autobahn.

Actually, I would say that the only country which names roads this way is Italy with the SS, SR and SP (for Strade Statali, Regionali and Provinciali).

Just weird...
But the Bundesstrassen, always "B 96a" and never "BS"

Reivajar liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:06 PM   #7202
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
but only autovias had dashed line, right? autopistas always had solid?
Nope, autopistas also had dashed lines. Probably some autopistas used solid lines, especially if they were opened before 1987 and the concessionaire never bothered to change the style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
it seems to me little bit unclear atm becuse A2 has solid line on Street View. also, I am sure that C25 had dashed, but on Street View also has solid. and I aa pretty sure that 1-2 years ago there was news that only solid line is starting to be used.
As I said, the "new" proposed style of road marking has been being tested for years in many places. You can find that the A-2 has solid lines in the province of Soria but dashed lines in Barcelona.

The C-25 is not managed by Fomento, but by the Catalan Government, so the regulations made by Fomento don't apply. That's also why the directional signage is different.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:31 PM   #7203
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas

The Puerto de Tornavacas - or Tornavacas Pass - is a 1275 meter high mountain pass of N-110 at the Extremadura-Castilla y León border.

I took some photos last month:

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Welcome to Castilla y León, the province of Ávila.

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-110 towards Castilla y León.

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-110 towards Extremadura

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

The Extremadura side is curvy and steep

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

View over Valle de Jerte. The village of Tornavacas is located below

N-110 Puerto de Tornavacas-9 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:03 PM   #7204
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Wow, this is a very remote area. You really want to check out every corner of Spain
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:52 PM   #7205
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

So do I think it!!!! congrats

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #7206
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3924

@ChrisZwolle, according to the Fomento website they're upgrading the Extremadura side of the road between the towns (or better said, villages ) of Navaconcejo and Tornavacas (14.5 km). Did you see any works?

I did some online research but I could only find some local press articles about a visit by the former Minister Pastor to the works in May last year, when she said that those works would be ready by the first quarter of 2017. However the project still appears on the Fomento website, so maybe there have been some delays...

Thanks!

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 08:11 AM   #7207
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Today, works on A-68 Mallen-Gallur will start on!!

Old July 4th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #7208
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Wow, this is a very remote area. You really want to check out every corner of Spain
Oh yes, I like to go off the beaten tourist paths and explore the real countryside I don't like the big tourist crowds in overpriced locations for more than a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
@ChrisZwolle, according to the Fomento website they're upgrading the Extremadura side of the road between the towns (or better said, villages ) of Navaconcejo and Tornavacas (14.5 km). Did you see any works?

I did some online research but I could only find some local press articles about a visit by the former Minister Pastor to the works in May last year, when she said that those works would be ready by the first quarter of 2017. However the project still appears on the Fomento website, so maybe there have been some delays...

Thanks!
Yes there was construction, they had new pavement with a 40 km/h speed limit that everyone ignored. It didn't strike me as a huge upgrade project though, I thought it was just some reconstruction.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #7209
ChrisMuenchen

Likes (Received): 0

Hi. In a few weeks i will travel from Munich to Valencia. One part of my trip should be from Orthez in France to Pamplona. I would like to use the D933 on the French site and the N-135 on the spanish Side. Did somebody ever use the same roads and could tell me something about the current condition. are they smooth to ride? Thank you.
ChrisMuenchen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #7210
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

A-68

As alserrod points out, construction has started today on the new section of A-68 between Gallur and Mallén (15.1 km). It will have a cost of €49.75M (€3.29M/km). Current AADT is 13,000, 50% of which are trucks. Opening to traffic is expected in 2020 (source).

When completed (together with its neighboring Figueruelas - Gallur section, under construction since late 2015), there will be a continuous 83 km section of toll-free A-68 between Zaragoza and south of Alfaro, parallel to tolled AP-68 (Spanish style ).

Map of the new section:

Official press release (in Spanish): http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...d-0c2ddd490672

Bertolt Brecht

MichiH liked this post

Last edited by arctic_carlos; July 4th, 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old July 4th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #7211
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

GJ-20

According to the Fomento website, construction has also started on another motorway section: GJ-20, the motorway access to the port of El Musel, in Gijón (Asturias).

The section currently under construction is 3.46 km long, between Lloreda and Veriña, following current AS-19 road. It will have a cost of €33.08M (€9.56M/km).

Map of the new section:

Official press release (in Spanish): http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...a-8780a2c390cc

Bertolt Brecht

MichiH liked this post
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #7212
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

NEWS

Today the Minister of Fomento (Public Works), visited Aragón to take part in the ceremony of beginning of the works of the A-68 section mentioned a few posts above. He also gave new information regarding other motorway sections currently under construction in that region:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A23: Arguis – Congosto de Isuela 3km (2007 to Early 2019) [2nd c/w] – ? – map
March 2019.

Quote:
A21: Santa Cilia – Jaca-West 9.0km (? to >= Summer 2018) – ? – map
October 2018.*

Quote:
A21: Puente la Reina de Jaca – Santa Cilia 7.2km (? to Summer 2019) – ? – map
2019 (no changes).*

Besides, two new sections will be tendered during the summer:

A21: Sigüés - Tiermas (6.6 km)

A22: Huesca - Siétamo (13.2 km)

Source: http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/ar...e-la-a-22.html

* The press article gives the opening dates for these two sections in the opposite way, but I assume it's a mistake, given that the works in Santa Cilia - Jaca West are more advanced than those of Puente la Reina de Jaca - Santa Cilia.

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle, Luki_SL, MichiH liked this post
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #7213
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

To be accurate, A-68 works are starting here (and current section is under works till here)

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.83699...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

and will not arrive to Alfaro but to cross with AP-15 only. It is a pity you cannot take there AP-15 direction AP-68. No way than continue N-232 and a detour to take AP-68... if lack of traffic it deserves keeping on to Calahorra (and even to Navarrete)

Old July 4th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #7214
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes there was construction, they had new pavement with a 40 km/h speed limit that everyone ignored. It didn't strike me as a huge upgrade project though, I thought it was just some reconstruction.
Judging from the aerial pictures at TerraServer.com, there were some major changes to the original alignment:

July 2011:

September 2016:

Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #7215
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

I still don't understand this trend of building motorways parallel to other tolled motorways. It is ok that the cost of building motorways in Spain is low, but... whatever... I think those resources could be better allocated.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #7216
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3668

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
So do I think it!!!! congrats
It is near my father's home village.
It is a very beautiful area: Valle del Jerte & Comarca de La Vera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Oh yes, I like to go off the beaten tourist paths and explore the real countryside I don't like the big tourist crowds in overpriced locations for more than a day or so.

Have you been to Yuste Monastery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
I still don't understand this trend of building motorways parallel to other tolled motorways. It is ok that the cost of building motorways in Spain is low, but... whatever... I think those resources could be better allocated.
We would like to have that here in Catalonia, where almost all motorways are tolled!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #7217
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

We do have them:

A-7 between Vandellòs power plant and La Móra: 50 km of toll-free motorway parallel to toll motorway AP-7.

A-2 between Vidreres and Fornells de la Selva: 20 km of toll-free motorway parallel to toll motorway AP-7.

And they still plan to extend A-2 north of Girona all the way to the French border, and A-7 from Vandellòs to Castelló and from La Móra to Torredembarra (and maybe to Vilafranca).

Honestly, I don't understand how anybody can defend this duplicated system. It has terrible consequences for both public finance and the environment. They should spend those funds in bailing out the toll motorways so people don't have to use the old national roads such as N-340 or N-II, where deadly car accidents are really common.

But building two parallel motorways, one tolled and the other one toll-free? That doesn't make any sense except in congested urban areas.

Bertolt Brecht

Bitxofo liked this post
Old July 5th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #7218
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Two paralel motorways can have sense only if one has barely exits and focused in long distances and second one for local traffic

Old July 5th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #7219
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

In Tarragona it makes some sense the doubling of the highway corridor.

A-2 around South of Girona makes some sense for extending the C-25 and as local Southern access to the city. Other than that. It will be interesting the numbering system and the signaling of all that mess when eventually all those tolled road turn toll-free.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #7220
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Buying out a concession is more expensive than to build a new autovía alongside it...

Though what happens when the concession ends? Then the state may have to maintain two parallel motorways...

At € 0.12 per kilometer, the AP-7 is super expensive.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida