daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2017, 11:05 PM   #7321
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was browsing through Aragón again. I noticed A-222, a 90 kilometer north-south route from El Burgo de Ebro to Montalbán. I wonder why they built such a high-standard road, all but one village along the route have a population under 1,000 (some around 100 people). It bypasses all but one village and it seems to be a 100 km/h kind of road. It's a very sparsely populated area. In France or Portugal you'll surely won't get a road as good as this.

A bit of history about it... I crossed corner to corner in 2001 first time, some streches before

Former road took El Burgo-Cortes-Segura de los Baños and later over N-211 to reach N-420 in Perales de Alframbra.

I do not know when but a new road from La Hoz de la Vieja to Montalban was built.

Until then, it was possible to reach La Hoz only from northbound and end of road!!!

First road had three curves that was compulsory to take on 60 and not pointed. I remember being near to have an accident in 2001 and one month later, second-president of Aragon had an accident in the same point.
Therefore, at least they pointed well as three curves where you had to decrease speed

In late 1990, early 2000, several funds where given for areas which economy depended on carbon mining. A-222 was set as a project to improve that area (it was the only road you could drive faster than 70). Step by step, not only enlarging it was removing several curves. And as result, it was nice.

It was so nice that in 2003-05 people took that road to go from Zaragoza to Teruel-Valencia due to Teruel overpass recently opened coming from N-420 and traffic congestion in N-330 prior to A-23.

It was, first of all, refurbished till Belchite, later all at the same time until Cortes de Aragón, finally little strecth until La Hoz and it was several years later when they upgraded those fatal curves (nowadays you can drive 80).

Cross with N-211/N-240 had a stop and a black spot at the same time. They built later a roundabout. I hate roundabouts in roads but I guess this is one out of them that deserves to be built because a lot of trajects meant to cross anywhere. This is ... priority was only coming from Alcañiz to Caminreal. Rest of trajetct with a stop (or yield). This is... should you come from south or norht, yield or stop. Should you come from east or west and no going through... stop or yield. They build a roundabout and easy.

Bonus. Next time, in the roundabout turn right to Caminreal. It is a very good national road and the one with less traffic in Spain

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #7322
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

C-222 at first started at Vivel del Rio Martin, I don't know when it was extended to Perales del Alfambra. Sometime in the 90s it became A-1510, A-2401 and A-222.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
A bit of history about it... I crossed corner to corner in 2001 first time, some streches before
At the time A-222 only reached as far as Cortes de Aragon (the other Aragonese Corts as I've said earlier), from there to Montalban it was TE-V-1147, which didn't become part of A-222 until the following year.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #7323
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I have 2 questions about the Despeñaderos areas on A-4

- when did they build the original alignment that has become obsolete 2 years ago with the new highway?
- will they do something with the old alignment such as a high-speed cycling track?
Old July 24th, 2017, 01:09 AM   #7324
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
C-222 at first started at Vivel del Rio Martin, I don't know when it was extended to Perales del Alfambra. Sometime in the 90s it became A-1510, A-2401 and A-222.
You're right. You had to follow up on current N-211 to Portalrubio and later turn left to Perales de Alfambra and taking the N-420. It was the shortest way from Belchite to Teruel.

I do know people from the area who remember how they had to go to Vivel and going through Baños de Segura, giving a detour, and how bad it was the road

Quote:
At the time A-222 only reached as far as Cortes de Aragon (the other Aragonese Corts as I've said earlier), from there to Montalban it was TE-V-1147, which didn't become part of A-222 until the following year.
Disagree.

At that time, two daily buses, except on sunday, made Zaragoza-Teruel though Montalban. They left Zaragoza at 6:15 and 16:00 everyday and Teruel at 7:00 and 15:00 or so. They crossed themselved at Lecera and Montalban at 08.10 and Lecera at 17:00 more or less. They stopped and changed bus driver who took the other bus back home and sleeped in his house.

I remember, early july 2000 to take one out of these buses on a saturday and be sure schedules were to go throguh Montalban, not with a detour. Arriving Cortes at 7:50 in the morning, having breakfast in the only bar of the village (nowadays close down) and... guess what we had only on TV at that time.

In july 2001 I went quite far from Utrillas, therefore I made the full traject, and back again in august. Thus I remember it was opened.

(haven't gone via Segura indeed)

Old July 24th, 2017, 01:10 AM   #7325
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

- when did they build the original alignment that has become obsolete 2 years ago with the new highway?
Guess late 1991 but not sure

Quote:
- will they do something with the old alignment such as a high-speed cycling track?

Nothing... and some people proposes that it could be used also for railway, instead of current platform!!

Old July 24th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #7326
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Despeñaperros

Quote:
Despeñaperros has always been used as a pass between the Meseta and Andalusia. The oldest of the two former carriageways was probably part of the old Roman road or the 18th-century Camino Real.

A second carriageway was opened in 1984:

In fact, it was a strange situation, as both directions used part of both the old and the new carriageways. E.g. if you were travelling southbound, you had to use the old carriageway until the junction with the J-6110, and then you switched to the new (1984) carriageway.

Quote:
The 1984 carriageway has been demolished for its most part.

The oldest carriageway is now a 2-lane road numbered N-IVa.
Old July 24th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #7327
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Have surfed and seems that old second carriageway remains in northbound of pass.

I guess it could be used for something, despite a road with barely traffic and limited to 50 (or less) is nice for bikes.

Old July 24th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #7328
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3905

N-332

Construction was resumed today on the 4.5 km Benissa bypass (N-332), in the province of Alicante (Comunitat Valenciana).

Although previously designed with motorway standards (thus part of A-38), the current project is just a conventional road. It will feature additional lanes for passing slow vehicles, though. It has a cost of € 21.85 million.

Official press release (in Spanish): http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...1-4f8f534c7016

Bertolt Brecht

Luki_SL liked this post
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #7329
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

It appears that A-38 has become a low priority project. Evidently the upgraded part of N-332 near Benidorm is also signed as N-332 despite being a controlled-access highway with collector and express lanes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #7330
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

N-II

As part of the upgrade works of N-II in the provinces of Barcelona and Girona (Catalonia), two new grade separated interchanges were put today into service near the town of Tordera.

Unfortunately, the older project to upgrade N-II to motorway standards (A-2) between Tordera and Maçanet (10 km) was scrapped, and only minor upgrades are going on. In a rather weird decision, other N-II sections parallel to AP-7 are being upgraded to motorway standards, while in this one, where there is no alternative motorway, the upgrade was cancelled. As a result, this will be the only N-II section between Barcelona and the French border at La Jonquera where N-II is neither upgraded to A-2 nor parallel to another motorway (C-32 or AP-7).

Official press release (in Spanish): http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...7-118cb3204976

Bertolt Brecht

Vignole liked this post
Old July 24th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #7331
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
It appears that A-38 has become a low priority project. Evidently the upgraded part of N-332 near Benidorm is also signed as N-332 despite being a controlled-access highway with collector and express lanes.
Yes, they will just finish the section currently under construction between Cullera and Favara and that's all.

Eventually, its construction will depend on what happens to the AP-7 tolls once the current concession expires in 2019.

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 25th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #7332
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-4 Autopista de la Mancha

A € 620 million shadow toll concession was awarded to 'Autopista de la Mancha' in 2007 to reconstruct a 107 kilometer segment of A-4 from Puerto Lápice to Venta de Cárdenas. There have been several small realignments on the southern portion of this segment, most notably at Santa Cruz de Mudela, which was completed circa 2012.

A before-after gif:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old July 25th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #7333
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Which town is it?

I remember Puerto Lapice that, after a long straight motorway you had a 100 km/h curve due to first generation motorways upgrade.

Old July 25th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #7334
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

N-IIa

Due to the construction of Mularroya reservoir on the river Grío, a new 6 km alignment for N-IIa is currently being built south of La Almunia de Doña Godina (province of Zaragoza), to replace the current road, which will be covered by water. It includes a 445 m impressive bridge over the future reservoir.

It's somehow curious to see this costly project for a road that only plays a secondary role since the opening of A-2.

Some pictures: http://www.ideam.es/?a=3&aa=2&projec...category_id=11

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 25th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #7335
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Despeñaperros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
The 1984 carriageway has been demolished for its most part.
Google Earth imagery shows that the 1984 carriageway still exists for the most part. It snakes its way through the canyon but is not in use.

The Despeñaperros crossing was in fact the first segment of N-IV outside of Madrid and Sevilla to be expanded. The rest of the N-IV expansion was completed almost entirely between 1989 and 1992.

You can see the three generations of roads through the Despeñaperros on this photo.

Left: modern-day A-4 (2011-2012). Center: 1984 carriageway. Right: former N-IV.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos, Suburbanist liked this post
Old July 25th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #7336
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

A-68

Public information phase starts today on the 18.7 km section of A-68 between El Burgo de Ebro and Fuentes de Ebro (province of Zaragoza).

A second carriageway will be added to the current N-232 alignment, which was built in the last decade and it's already prepared for its upgrade to motorway standards (you can see it in some overpasses of the section). The project has an estimated construction cost of € 75.7 M.

Bertolt Brecht
Old July 25th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #7337
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
A € 620 million shadow toll concession was awarded to 'Autopista de la Mancha' in 2007 to reconstruct a 107 kilometer segment of A-4 from Puerto Lápice to Venta de Cárdenas. There have been several small realignments on the southern portion of this segment, most notably at Santa Cruz de Mudela, which was completed circa 2012.

A before-after gif:
Yep, there were a number of shadow toll concessions for some stretches of the A-1, A-2, A-3, A-31 and A-4.

Some more examples of realignments:

A-1 around Pardilla (2010/2014):

A-2 near La Muela (2006/2015):

A-3 near Villares del Saz (2006/2015):

Quote:
Google Earth imagery shows that the 1984 carriageway still exists for the most part. It snakes its way through the canyon but is not in use.
Yes, you're right. Only the southern part of it was demolished. Apparently there are plans to use the (remaining) northern part of the 1984 carriageway in case the current railway line is upgraded.

BTW, here's an article from the official journal of Fomento: http://www.fomento.gob.es/AZ.BBMF.We...pdf/A25061.pdf

pai nosso liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #7338
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
A-2 near La Muela (2006/2015):

La Muela is spotted here
https://www.google.es/maps/@41.54687...!3m1!1e3?hl=es
You will find a small tunnel. N-II was there until 1986
(in the 1970ish it was here https://www.google.es/maps/@41.57014...!3m1!1e3?hl=es)

In 1986 it was refurbished as a first generation from Zaragoza until Calatorao cross like south carriageway using former road (limited to 80 in the tunnel) and north carriageway with a new one.

There were so many accidents in the tunnel in the first years that they doubled carriage there. North one became south one and a new one kept as a north direction.

And... I always was afraid when taking that curve. It was dangerous to be 121 km/h and direction south it was easy to go faster...

Nowadays... just say it seems different...

Old July 25th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #7339
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Public information phase starts today on the 18.7 km section of A-68 between El Burgo de Ebro and Fuentes de Ebro (province of Zaragoza).

A second carriageway will be added to the current N-232 alignment, which was built in the last decade and it's already prepared for its upgrade to motorway standards (you can see it in some overpasses of the section). The project has an estimated construction cost of € 75.7 M.

Do you have the source, please?

Old July 25th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #7340
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...1-d39182788a12

Sorry, I forgot before to link it.

Bertolt Brecht

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida