daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #7341
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Due to the construction of Mularroya reservoir on the river Grío, a new 6 km alignment for N-IIa is currently being built south of La Almunia de Doña Godina (province of Zaragoza), to replace the current road, which will be covered by water. It includes a 445 m impressive bridge over the future reservoir.

It's somehow curious to see this costly project for a road that only plays a secondary role since the opening of A-2.

Some pictures: http://www.ideam.es/?a=3&aa=2&projec...category_id=11
I was about to say that, they are building a "new old" N-II near La Almunia de Doña Godina due to a new dam. My claim of having been to all national roads in Zaragoza province is thanks to the closure of that section of N-II, but that won't last long. Anyway I think they should have built A-2 on the alignment of the new road, instead of adding a fourth mountain pass (La Perdiz) to the three existing ones (Cavero, El Frasno, Morata).

Now I'm closer to clinch every national road in my province, after having taken N-230 all the way to Vielha (or Viella in both Spanish and Catalan, the official name Vielha being Occitan) last Saturday. It's a nice crossing of the Pyrenees, however the the section between the tunnel and Vielha is still narrow.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #7342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

CV-245

Just a random mountain pass in the Valencia back country. CV-245 across the Alto de Montmayor.

CV-245 Alto de Montmayor-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

CV-245 Alto de Montmayor-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

I was driving on CV-245 to Segorbe to find a supermarket bigger than a studio apartment and came across this roundabout, which serves 3 buildings and an unpaved road... According to Google Earth imagery, it was built in 2014 or 2015.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #7343
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I was about to say that, they are building a "new old" N-II near La Almunia de Doña Godina due to a new dam. My claim of having been to all national roads in Zaragoza province is thanks to the closure of that section of N-II, but that won't last long. Anyway I think they should have built A-2 on the alignment of the new road, instead of adding a fourth mountain pass (La Perdiz) to the three existing ones (Cavero, El Frasno, Morata).

Now I'm closer to clinch every national road in my province, after having taken N-230 all the way to Vielha (or Viella in both Spanish and Catalan, the official name Vielha being Occitan) last Saturday. It's a nice crossing of the Pyrenees, however the the section between the tunnel and Vielha is still narrow.

A-2 (former motorway of Aragon N-II indeed) was finished in december 1991, Mularroya section was opened in 1993 though.
There were a lot of accidents in that area. People didn't remember that it wasn't limited to 120 there....

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #7344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fomento has approved the awarding of six contracts for road construction, worth € 305 million.

http://fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrensa/No...f-ada0057272a1

* North access to the airport of Málaga
* A-22 Siétamo - Huesca
* A-21 Sigüés - Tiermas
* N-338 duplication to the airport of Alicante
* V-21 expansion to six lanes (Carraixet - Valencia)
* A-33 N-344 to A-31 section at Caudete (second to last section of A-33)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highway89 liked this post
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #7345
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Fomento has approved the awarding of six contracts for road construction, worth € 305 million.

http://fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrensa/No...f-ada0057272a1

* A-22 Siétamo - Huesca
FINALLY! A-22 has been completed from Alpicat (near Lleida) to Sietamo for five years now. This is a eyesore of a gap, caused by NIMBYism* first and the financial crisis later.
Quote:
* A-21 Sigüés - Tiermas
Nearby Yesa reservoir is being enlarged, and thus this section is needed since N-240 will get flooded. It's also a very twisty road.
Quote:
* N-338 duplication to the airport of Alicante
This will be the double A road: AA-11 .

* Actually there was no opposition to A-22 motorway, but rather to the routing of it. Some wanted it further away from a town, others wanted it further away from a castle. In the end the latter won, but then the financial crisis hit.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #7346
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1192

The refurbishment of the A-1 between Madrid and El Molar. It includes a bypass of the current A-1 between the R-2 and the Jarama circuit.

(From south to north)

Source: http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_...75/default.htm

ChrisZwolle, arctic_carlos liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #7347
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3977

The construction of several motorway sections has been tendered today by the Spanish government:

A-21: Tiermas - Sigüés (6.6 km)
A-22: Huesca - Siétamo (12.7 km)
A-33: Caudete - A31 (6.9 km)
Northern access to Málaga Airport (1.6 km)
Duplication of N-338 (access to Alicante Airport)

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #7348
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Until I wouldn't see A-22 u/c, will not believe it!!!

MichiH liked this post
Old July 29th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #7349
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
The construction of several motorway sections has been tendered today by the Spanish government:

A-21: Tiermas - Sigüés (6.6 km)
A-22: Huesca - Siétamo (12.7 km)
A-33: Caudete - A31 (6.9 km)
Northern access to Málaga Airport (1.6 km)
Duplication of N-338 (access to Alicante Airport)
Official press releases:

A-21: http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...b-19d7d8e97171

A-22: http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...2-6eeb760e035a

I couldn't find the one about A-33 on Fomento's website, but there's a press article with a map:

https://www.albaceteabierto.es/albac...-33-en-caudete

As you can see, only the section between Caudete and A-31 has been tendered, so there's still a missing section between Yecla and Caudete (16 km). Hopefully it will be tendered later this year, so the whole A-33 can be under construction (some sections already completed) next year.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #7350
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
I was browsing through Aragón again. I noticed A-222, a 90 kilometer north-south route from El Burgo de Ebro to Montalbán. I wonder why they built such a high-standard road, all but one village along the route have a population under 1,000 (some around 100 people). It bypasses all but one village and it seems to be a 100 km/h kind of road. It's a very sparsely populated area. In France or Portugal you'll surely won't get a road as good as this.
Have driven today on A-222 till Lecera (40 km) and a bit of traffic (main traffic was yesterday) and later, turn left to A-223.

Road is wide but tiny shoulders. Limited to 90 but very good route. Asphalt until Albalate is absoluuuuutely perfect. It is the fact in Aragon. You refurbish a road and it is enough to change asphalt every 10 years or so. In the meanwhile, some other main regional roads will be in the lost of years (for instance, Erla-Ayerbe have the same grade than these two ones...)

BTW, Albalate has a little overpass that avoids to cross over a tiny road between several houses. Nice one and doesn't appear in google maps

Old July 30th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #7351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Does anyone know where the Andalusian road numbering is based on? The A-xxx numbering in Aragón is clearly based on the old carretera comarcal network for the most part, but none of the A-xxx numbers in Andalusia match with former carreteras comarcales.

Apparently they did try to avoid duplicate A-xxx numbers with Aragón, as the Andalusian A-xxx numbers are in a different range (300s and 400s, while Aragón is in the 100s and 200s). Though some A-xxx numbers have been floated for planned Castilla y León autovías which would conflict with those in Aragón and Andalusia. None of them have been built so far except for A-231.
Old July 30th, 2017, 12:48 AM   #7352
Farnan
Toletum

Likes (Received): 387

Answer: The main regional roads in Andalusia are numbered between A-300 and A-499. Historically, A-3XX roads are put in sector 3 and A-4XX roads in sector 4 but with the change of 2005 (that caused that almost all Andalusia roads are in green) they out A-40X roads and a few others in sector 3.

Note: Sector 3: between N-III and N-IV.
Sector 4: Between N-IV and N-V.
If there's no N-IV visible, the roads use the A-4 freeway (N-IV before 2004).

Castilla y Leon has other A-XXX freeways in their network (A-601 Valladolid-Segovia and A-610 Palencia-A62 (Burgos)). And yes, A-231 Alcañiz-Valdealgorfa-Catalonia/Aragon border was first.
Farnan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #7353
CNGL
Leudimin

Same for Aragon, but only for "orange" roads. In this case they mostly follow the Plan Peña numbering, with notable exceptions being A-176, there's no way to put a 7 as the middle digit but was numbered to match Navarre; and A-131 which runs transverse to Madrid but got its number by truncating C-1310; A-202 and A-211 were formerly C-202 and C-211 respectively. And so does Alava, leading to several duplicated roads: A-124, A-126, A-132, A-2602 (the last one it's due to different numbering rules). Recently I played this composite image of both A-132s at km 19 facing downwards (kmpost-wise) in the Spanish edition of Guess the Highway, the top one is Alava's A-132, the bottom one is Aragon's:
Old July 30th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #7354
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1068

Quote:
Apparently they did try to avoid duplicate A-xxx numbers with Aragón, as the Andalusian A-xxx numbers are in a different range (300s and 400s, while Aragón is in the 100s and 200s).
As Farnan said, is not about "trying to avoid duplications". Is mostly because of the sectors:

What I don't know and I wonder since I saw this picture is... what about the islands? Does the Balearic ones belong to sector 2 and the Canary islands belong to sector 4 (or 3 according with this map )? Or maybe they don't belong to any sector, considering that this was created when Spain had more overseas possessions far away.
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #7355
CNGL
Leudimin

Actually the boundaries were defined by the roads with roman numerals (N-I, N-II, N-III, N-IV, N-V and N-VI), not by these straight lines. For example there was C-260 in Girona province, which this map places in sector 1. The Balearic islands were sector 7, the Canary islands were sector 8 and the African possesions (Equatorial Guinea, Western Sahara, and the area around Ifni in Morocco) were sector 9, but I don't think any C-9xx roads were ever assigned.

Also, see how the 33x zone covered a lot of land, which meant a lot of C-33xx existed (up to C-3331!).

adevahi liked this post
Old July 30th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #7356
Highway89

That map is wrong. Borders between sectors are defined by the 6 main national roads, not by straight lines.

The Balearic islands were the 7th sector and the Canaries the 8th.

Penn's Woods, pai nosso liked this post
Old July 30th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #7357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevahi View Post
As Farnan said, is not about "trying to avoid duplications". Is mostly because of the sectors:
The sector numbering is clear to me. But the Andalusian carreteras autonómicas are not based on the former C-roads, despite being given numbers in the same range of 300-499. I wonder why they did that, and not simply attempted to re-use the old numbering of the carreteras comarcales like they did in Aragón.

It seems to me that Andalusia just somewhat randomly renumbered the roads. It's also interesting that Andalusia has a relatively small network of 'red básica' routes, for example there is only one in the province of Almería (A-334).

Also, the Red Básica / Red Intercomarcal division appears somewhat arbitrary to me. Both have the same green A-xxx numbers and their importance also seems similar. Many routes of the Red Básica only connect small towns and have low traffic volumes. Some regions have no autonomous roads of the base network, for example there is not a single A-xxx part of the Red Básica north of A-4. For example, why is A-301 'Red Básica' and A-424 'Red Intercomarcal'?

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:...Andaluc%C3%ADa
Old July 30th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #7358
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevahi View Post

What I don't know and I wonder since I saw this picture is... what about the islands? Does the Balearic ones belong to sector 2 and the Canary islands belong to sector 4 (or 3 according with this map )? Or maybe they don't belong to any sector, considering that this was created when Spain had more overseas possessions far away.

I read 7 for Balearic, 8 for Canary islands and 9 for African territories (never mind if in the North of Africa or Guinea).

Nowadays, all Balearic and Canary islands are managed by island government. Therefore, one or two letters depending of island. There are no national roads in Melilla, despite several "local" roads ML-XXX are managed by Fomento and two ones in Ceuta are N-3XX

Old July 30th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #7359
Highway89

Quote:
The sector numbering is clear to me. But the Andalusian carreteras autonómicas are not based on the former C-roads, despite being given numbers in the same range of 300-499. I wonder why they did that, and not simply attempted to re-use the old numbering of the carreteras comarcales like they did in Aragón.
Probably because the 33 sector was quite big, so there were several four-digit Comarcales (C-33xx). I guess they wanted to use 3-digit road numbers only. However, that wouldn't explain why three-digit C- roads were also renumbered.

Quote:
It seems to me that Andalusia just somewhat randomly renumbered the roads. It's also interesting that Andalusia has a relatively small network of 'red básica' routes, for example there is only one in the province of Almería (A-334).

Also, the Red Básica / Red Intercomarcal division appears somewhat arbitrary to me. Both have the same green A-xxx numbers and their importance also seems similar. Many routes of the Red Básica only connect small towns and have low traffic volumes. Some regions have no autonomous roads of the base network, for example there is not a single A-xxx part of the Red Básica north of A-4. For example, why is A-301 'Red Básica' and A-424 'Red Intercomarcal'?

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:...Andaluc%C3%ADa
Yes, it's quite weird:
A-301 -> Red básica
A-302 -> Red intercomarcal
A-303 -> Red intercomarcal
A-304 -> Red básica
A-305 -> Red intercomarcal
A-306 -> Red básica
A-307 -> Red básica
A-308 -> Red básica
A-309 -> Red básica
A-310 -> Red intercomarcal

I guess they put the numbers first, and then classified each road according to God-knows-what criteria.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Old July 30th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #7360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Also an Andalusian exception seems to be the color coding. Almost all 3-digit carreteras autonómicas (both Red Básica and Red Intercomarcal) have green shields, except for three routes; A-316, A-318 and A-381. In other autonomous communities they have much more orange shields or equivalent.

Evidently, these are separated based on the Red Básica estructurante and Red Básica de articulación. But it seems weird to create a separate class for just 3 routes, with A-316 and A-318 planned to become the Autovía del Olivar.

The Spanish road numbering and classification pecularities are endless

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida