daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #7361
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

CV-129

CV-129 is a short east-west road in Castellón province. It runs in the Albocàsser area. It serves 480 vehicles per day.

1. The 582 meter high Puerto de la Mirona. It is not signed.

CV-129 Albocasser-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. westbound view

CV-129 Albocasser-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

3. The Greenwich Meridian just west of Albocàsser.

CV-129 Albocasser-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

CV-129 Albocasser-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highway89 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #7362
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Stunning road will be going ahead of Villafranca. You will be in the middle of Maestrazgo hills. Cantavieja is 90 km to Alcañiz, Teruel and Castellón and, when needed in winter, ambulancies go to "easiest hospital". They should go to Teruel but they belong to Alcañiz due to direction Teruel there are five mountain passes in 90 km (reaching 1700m)... and sometimes road to Alcañiz is not good at all.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #7363
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
CV-129 is a short east-west road in Castellón province. It runs in the Albocàsser area. It serves 480 vehicles per day.

3. The Greenwich Meridian just west of Albocàsser.
I wonder if they have signed the International Reference Meridian (or "Berbegal Meridian" as I call it) or the actual Greenwich Meridian, which is sightly to the West. (Edit: it is the actual Greenwich Meridian, as the Google Street View link shows a sightly negative longitude coordinate at the sign)

BTW, immediately to the North is the Castellon II jail, just found it .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #7364
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've noticed these prisons are quite well signed in Spain. Are they typically located near main roads? I've seen quite a number of 'centro penitenciario' signs along autovías. Some prisons appear to have a dedicated interchange. I don't recall seeing them signed so prominently in other countries.

For example on A-7 near Valencia:

A7-6 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #7365
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Janovas Medirian for me (N-260)

Old July 30th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #7366
CNGL
Leudimin

I have another reference meridian, the Ariza Meridian which is defined by the railway station of that town in extreme Western Aragon. I've defined the Berbegal Meridian as the meridian passing through a road intersection located at 41° 57' 39", 2° 3' 34" (with respect to Ariza Meridian), which is just outside Berbegal in Huesca province and happens to lie right at the International Reference Meridian.
Quote:
I've noticed these prisons are quite well signed in Spain. Are they typically located near main roads? I've seen quite a number of 'centro penitenciario' signs along autovías. Some prisons appear to have a dedicated interchange. I don't recall seeing them signed so prominently in other countries.

For example on A-7 near Valencia:
Well, the trend of building prisons in the middle of nowhere near main roads is relatively recent. Before that, they were located inside the provincial capitals (like the Teruel one). For example, the Zuera prison, located barely in Zaragoza province, also a practical exclave as its access is from Huesca (exit 328 off A-23); replaced both the Zaragoza and Huesca ones.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old July 31st, 2017, 05:53 AM   #7367
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
I've noticed these prisons are quite well signed in Spain. Are they typically located near main roads? I've seen quite a number of 'centro penitenciario' signs along autovías. Some prisons appear to have a dedicated interchange.r
Better for quick escaping

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 12:10 PM   #7368
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

The prison probably has more inhabitants than the average village served by the Spanish autovia's.

Apparently it even has a golf terrain!
https://goo.gl/maps/2MWk7zKiJ552
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 04:54 PM   #7369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-54 Lugo - Santiago de Compostela

The next section of A-54 was officially started today with a 'primera piedra' (first sod) for the 11.7 kilometer section between Palas de Rei and Melide. The complete cost (including planning, design and right of way acquisition) amounts to € 82 million (€ 7 million per kilometer). The deadline for the project is 51 months (4 years, 3 months) so a completion in October/November 2021.

http://fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrensa/No...2-0406a44ae7c5

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old July 31st, 2017, 05:23 PM   #7370
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3920

The official press release includes this map showing the current situation of the different A-54 sections:

Dark blue: in service
Dotted dark blue: under construction
Light blue: start of construction
Yellow: tendering after the summer

Besides, during the official ceremony the Minister announced updated completion dates for other motorway sections currently under construction in Galicia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A54: Lavacolla – Arzua-West 18.5km (? to 2018) – ? – map
October 2018.

Quote:
A56: A Barrela-North (Estivada) – As Lamas (OU901) 8.8km (2008 to suspended) – projectmap
October 2018.

Quote:
A57: A Ermida – Vilaboa 6.5km (October 2015 to 2018/19) – ? – map
November 2018.

Source: http://www.eldiario.es/economia/Fome...670883385.html

Bertolt Brecht

pai nosso, ChrisZwolle, MichiH liked this post
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:07 PM   #7371
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
The prison probably has more inhabitants than the average village served by the Spanish autovia's.

Apparently it even has a golf terrain!
https://goo.gl/maps/2MWk7zKiJ552
Wrong place

That prison is here

https://www.google.be/maps/@41.95348.../data=!3m1!1e3

As you can see, it is inside Zuera municipality but A-23 exit is in Huesca province yet and have to make a U turn to reach there.

It has a 1.900 prisoners capacity and town is 8.000, one out of biggest in surroundings of Zaragoza.

In the same town, not far away, you have one "car delivery hub". This is, a lot of companies send by train cars to different plances in Spain to deliver into Spain and Portugal by truck since there. In the same town you have one of them

https://www.google.be/maps/@41.87604.../data=!3m1!1e3
(barely empty in the moment of picture but just calculate how many cars it can have at the same moment) and several manufacturing areas. It is not a desert. Not an urban space but not a desert at all.

Huesca-Zaragoza in A-23 has, slowly, slowly, growing with their towns and villages, despite other sides of the region come down.

Old July 31st, 2017, 08:03 PM   #7372
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
They also mentioned Monforte de Lemos in that article. I took a look there on Google Earth and that town is served by high-standard roads in 5 directions; N-120, CG-2.1 and CG-2.2. These appear to be the old 'vía rápida' style highway, two-lane, but control of access through interchanges.

But they are called a 'Vía de Altas Prestacións'. Is this a Galicia thing? I don't recall having seen that anywhere else on my trips to Spain so far. Galicia and La Rioja are the only autonomous communities on the mainland I haven't been to.
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:11 PM   #7373
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
They also mentioned Monforte de Lemos in that article. I took a look there on Google Earth and that town is served by high-standard roads in 5 directions; N-120, CG-2.1 and CG-2.2. These appear to be the old 'vía rápida' style highway, two-lane, but control of access through interchanges.

But they are called a 'Vía de Altas Prestacións'. Is this a Galicia thing? I don't recall having seen that anywhere else on my trips to Spain so far. Galicia and La Rioja are the only autonomous communities on the mainland I haven't been to.
Due to historical reasons, Galicia has a particular kind of urbanism. There are thousands of hamlets spread out all over the region. From what I've read, the 1991 road plan of the Galician government proposed the construction of several "vías rápidas" throughout the region in order to allow faster trips by avoiding having to cross so many villages.

Many of these "vías rápidas" turned out to be quite dangerous roads. Some of them had to be transformed into "autovías" just a few years later. Here's an article (in Spanish): http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia...03_4455418.htm

A Spanish association called Stop Accidentes has been since 2000 trying to eliminate the name "Vía Rápida" because they claim that it encourages people to drive faster. Eventually the name was changed to "Vía para automóviles" in the Spanish highway code.

If I'm not mistaken, in Galicia they changed from "Vía Rápida" (VG-) to "Corredor" (CG-), which sounds just as bad (correr = to run, to go quick). It seems that eventually they've chosen a more politically-correct name: "Vía de Altas Prestacións"

Also:
Quote:
Galicia and La Rioja are the only autonomous communities on the mainland I haven't been to.

ChrisZwolle, arctic_carlos liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:08 PM   #7374
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

OK Chris... you have a new spot to discover

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.48922...2!8i6656?hl=es

Road is in Navarra. Building in the left is Basque country, shires in the right are in Navarra.

Three regions in a picture. Easy to say to have crossed all of them.

In addition... should you want to discover La Rioja routes, avoid AP-68 (it will be compulsory but not main one). Try to go through A-12, to Soria via tunnel and over mountains near Iberian mountains. Quite stunning.

Here you are a random one

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.23273...2!8i6656?hl=es

(obviously, if you wanna make tourism at same time, there is a great deal of heritage in the region)

Old July 31st, 2017, 10:51 PM   #7375
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In addition... have glanced and, on september 5th, Spanish cycling tour will cross exactly in that point

http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2017/es/etapa-16.html

Old August 1st, 2017, 12:16 AM   #7376
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Galicia and La Rioja are the only autonomous communities on the mainland I haven't been to.
For me they're Extremadura and Andalusia. Also overall, as I have been to both to the Balearics and the Canaries (the latter as a 5 year old child).

Anyway, as mentioned by alserrod Rioja is worth exploring. It's much more than wine. All its tripoints with other regions are reachable by car: The Castile and Leon/Basque Country/Rioja one is in the Ebro river, but is flanked by BU-725/LR-306, former C-122, on the left bank and by N-124 on the right one; the Navarre/Rioja/Basque Country one has been mentioned by alserrod (but he made a mistake: the road is in Rioja), and the Aragon/Navarre/Rioja and Aragon/Castile and Leon/Rioja ones are along N-113. Also mentioned by alserrod is N-111, a quite scenic road through Old Camero Valley.
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:11 AM   #7377
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
OK Chris... you have a new spot to discover

Road is in Navarra. Building in the left is Basque country, shires in the right are in Navarra.

Three regions in a picture. Easy to say to have crossed all of them.

In addition... should you want to discover La Rioja routes, avoid AP-68 (it will be compulsory but not main one). Try to go through A-12, to Soria via tunnel and over mountains near Iberian mountains. Quite stunning.

Here you are a random one

(obviously, if you wanna make tourism at same time, there is a great deal of heritage in the region)
"Oyon La Rioja"? And people wants to use google maps to fix boundaries?

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:05 PM   #7378
CNGL
Leudimin

A quick update on these (nb: added dash to A–23 and flipped the sections to match kmposting):
A–23: Congosto de Isuela – Arguis 3km (2007 to March 2019) [2nd c/w] – ? – map
A–23: Alto de Monrepos – Caldearenas 3.9km (< 2009 to May 2019) – ? – map
A–23: Caldearenas – Lanave 12km (< 2009 to Spring 2018) – ? – map

They are working in all three sections. They have established two temporary detours, one where Arguis exit will be located and the other one atop the Monrepos pass, partly using the old C-136 road. In addition it seems they are working on another detour using the old road to bypass the second tunnel so they can renovate it, much like they did on the one down the road (in the Arguis–Monrepos "summit" [sic] section).

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:24 PM   #7379
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CM-420

What was the reasoning behind the 2007 transfer of N-420 to the Junta de Castilla-La Mancha? A 79 kilometer section of N-420 between Daimiel and Mota del Cuervo was transferred to the Junta.

I could guess that the Junta wanted to build an autovía along this alignment. CM-420 is one of the busiest main roads in Castilla-La Mancha. The lack of a 'competing' autovía on this corridor seems like an argument to keep it under control of Fomento.

An 11.2 kilometer bypass of Alcázar de San Juan opened to traffic in 2011. But it was built with 7 roundabouts, not exactly the kind of intersection you would want on a corridor that is supposed to become an autovía.

A similar issue was the transfer of N-320 from La Gineta to Cuenca to the Junta de Castilla-La Mancha. It is a major road with no competing autovía.

A transfer of a road to a lower government seems most logical when a new infrastructure becomes available, rendering the old road of no national importance. But that was not the case with N-420 and N-320.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:52 PM   #7380
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

who knows.... there are short national roads inside a region that remains managed by Fomento and a long one is "cut" and kept again.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida