daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:29 AM   #7461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

N-637 Bilbao

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
not counting Basque Country ???
Awww... To make you feel better:

N-637 Bilbao-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-637 Bilbao-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-637 Bilbao-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-637 Bilbao-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-637 Bilbao-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-637 Bilbao-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

N-637 Bilbao-18 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, ilyan, Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2017, 04:49 PM   #7462
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
There's also N-II near Zaragoza. The lack of blue signage along it is what makes me not to classify it as a motorway, instead constituting a rare example of an expressway.
When Z-40 ring was finished, a by-pass to the neighbourhood of Santa Isabel was made at the same time.

N-II was Santa Isabel street indeed, as can be seen in the map

They chose to make a bypass in the south (different to A-2 one) to avoid traffic in the neighbourhood. Even if A-2 is free there, a lot of trucks crossed besides the streets to approach the industrial area.

It was named as N-II

(and former one is not N-IIa but just simply, Sta. Isabel avenue)

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.66859...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

and.... for a time, even with several roundabouts, this stretch was named A-68, shifting AP-68 to A-68 it becames "again" to N-232

3x3 with several roundabouts and traffic lights

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.67893...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

To sum-up, former entries to Zaragoza where named as N-II again coming from Madrid and N-330 coming either from Huesca or from Teruel

Madrid
https://www.google.es/maps/@41.63721...!3m1!1e3?hl=es
(nowadays it belongs to Fomento only until this new roundabout, some years ago, the whole road)

Huesca
https://www.google.es/maps/@41.70294...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

and you can see a U-turn that was on for a looooong time. They had to change bus lines indeed without it, even if it was a motorway

and Teruel

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.60585...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

but, indeed, only coming from Barcelona in N-II is allowed, for several km. to 120. Rest ones are 100 or 80

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:45 PM   #7463
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
I guess it has something to do with Alicante. Given that the natural prefix for urban motorways in Alicante should be "A", and this one is already used by interurban motorways, a new prefix is needed ("AL" is reserved for Almería).

So if they want to be strict, even A-70, A-77 and A-79 (other urban motorways in Alicante) should be renamed using the "AA" prefix, because currently, they use the interurban "A" prefix.
Yes, for sure it makes sense. Not sure if from the phonetic point of view AA is the best option comparing to AI or AE, but it is kind of more consistent than just the generic A for interurban expressways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Awww... To make you feel better:

That's interesting, BI-XXX in a purple box. First time I've seen it.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:40 PM   #7464
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

complementary road in biscay
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:47 PM   #7465
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
complementary road in biscay
Thanks.

Which are the levels or classes of roads (and their color code) in Biscay?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #7466
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:...a%C3%ADs_Vasco

Reivajar liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #7467
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Yes, for sure it makes sense. Not sure if from the phonetic point of view AA is the best option comparing to AI or AE, but it is kind of more consistent than just the generic A for interurban expressways,
AI is already used for Aviles. AE wouldn't have worked for Catalan/Valencian (The name of Alicante in that language, Alacant, doesn't contain any Es, or Is for that matter). AN and AT are free, though. But again, yet more prefix weirdness.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Reivajar liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #7468
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A-65 Palencia

I took some photos of A-65 around Palencia.

A-65 is mostly a planned east-west autovía across the northern Meseta between Palencia and Benavente. Is is officially named as the 'Autovía de Tierra de Campos' but that name is not signed anywhere.

The only section of A-65 in use is the Palencia bypass, it opened to traffic in 2007. It seamlessly connects with N-610 to Benavente.

A-65 Palencia-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-65 Palencia-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-65 Palencia-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-65 Palencia-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-65 Palencia-13 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-65 Palencia-15 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-65 Palencia-16 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-65 Palencia-18 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cuartango liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #7469
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

One problem of Castilla y León is, they do not have a clear road network. This is... it is very clear A-6 and Lisbon-Paris with junction in Tordesillas but after there, barely main axis and so, and you will find that sometimes it can be faster from city to city a 1x1 rather than a detour, thus some of them reach streches 2x2.

Sometimes I wonder why they didn't make A-6 via Segovia, Valladolid and León for instance.

Old August 24th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #7470
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3924

Today I'm writing from the much beloved by some of our forumers province of Huesca.

And of course I had to drive some roads to get here and move around to discover so many amazing places. Basically parts of A-22, N-123, A-138, N-260 and N-260a. The worst part was undoubtedly N-260 between Boltaña and Fiscal: a goat path. The same can be said of N-260a between Fiscal and Broto, but at least there's less traffic there since the opening of the direct route of N-260 (Fiscal - Sabiñánigo).

Besides the basic road network, we've driven the whole HU-631 (not signed as such anywhere) between Sarvisé and Escalona, including the detour via Buerba due to the section through the Añiclos gorge being permanently closed since this year. As a result we had to hop on a shuttle bus to get to the starting point of our hiking through the gorge.

PS: we had also planned to drive to Torla and take the shuttle to Ordesa, but we had to turn back because the free parking in Torla was full and there was no place to park anywhere in the village.

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by arctic_carlos; August 24th, 2017 at 09:19 PM.
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #7471
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Just pointing in N-260

N-260 in Janovas (exactly where Meridian 0) had a late project due to it was supossed to make a damn there. It is a long history and it will be never built (run out in the BOE) but three nice villages where destroyed and someones in the mountains were down (nowadays without population) because no villages in the area to give services.
One decade ago I asked in a tourism office about some of these villages to visit one by car. I had visited in other places and wanted to go there. They told me someones and said that there was one that wasn't best indeed (to see traditional houses and so) but best to arrive by car. Cross from N-260 was really near from Janovas.
I found a person there who told me that he lived in another village in the area and nowadays in the nearest village downvalley. They barely had paths and what administration did was buying one per one each house. This is, not offering the whole population to buy a house but one per one. Starting with those empty ones (people who had gone and preferred money to buy a house in a city) and later one per one... no one knew how much money did they offered because each house was different.... but it is easy to understand that if you are a little village of 20 houses, you can say "we do not sell them". But if half has sell their home, the other half has less reasons to remain there.

And... paths were built after people were gone, just to control forests (before, needn't, people with animals were always here and there and forests were controlled)

And... that village (do not remember name but in any tourism office they will point) had a huge parking (non-paved) providing it was a little village without population in the middle of nowhere.

N-260 at Janovas has a hard stretch of 3 km that should be solved with several tunnels. Rest until Fiscal, enough to enlarge current road and changing some curves.

Later... to reach Broto do not expect any refurbishment because main traffic is along N-260 in the 2,6 km tunnel (by the way, first time I see 2x1 for 8 km. I went there last weekend)

Original road was "Barbastro-Ordesa" and named as C-138. They could shift to Aragonese government and A-138 would start at Fiscal instead that near Torla.

In a Broto visit they showed me some pictures made in 1930 by Lucien Briet (the French photographer that made a great effort to create national park and has a statue in the beginning of it). In Broto there was a single bridge only. No possible to be crossed by a car, neither anything with animals. In 1930 the road was under construction but bridge not yet according to them. Next pictures are dated in 1937 when the war and both bridges were destroyed. Main one was built again, old one never and nowadays there is a project but really not easy due to electrical power station situation.

And, in 1930 ALL Broto houses were in the right side of the current road. Yeah, that tiny road that it is full of hotels and shops... was a really bypass because no houses were in the left side (looking to Torla). The reason was that all that could serve for agriculture... kept for it. Land in the right is rocky and impossible to irrigate. Land in the left is good for agriculture. Therefore, until 1980 they didn't start building there.

We arrive to Torla. The Monte Perdido and its valleys are UNESCO heritage (and it includes two valleys in France, one of them Gavarnie with its famous waterfall, Unesco doesn't understand about borders to propose heritage). They made a recommendation about people at the same time in Ordesa. No problems in other valleys but Ordesa was full of cars inside national park.

In late 90ish they built Torla parking and made a bus shuttle
(picture taken in June 2012 and was empty because restrictions are since july, btw, left mountains are already inside national park
https://www.google.es/maps/@42.62468...2!8i6656?hl=es)

Parking wasn't cheap when they build but... quite weird... when national park said that with parking fees, construction was payed... they removed payment and made it free!!!. It has a 350ish car capacity and some buses.

In summer, easter and peak seasons in general you must park there and take a bus. It costs 4,5 a return ticket which seems not expensive. It takes you in the parking, will make a stop in a visitor centre (which was a parador until late 60ish, btw) and will continue until end of road. I think they have had same schedules since almost two decades ago. First bus at 6, second at 7, third at 7:30 and since 8:00 one each 15 minutes and conversely for return. Last bus to go is at 19, and later they will be only for return. In July and August last return is at 22:00 (not bad service for 4,5 inside a national park).

The "only problem" is that they allow 1.800 people and no more. They will not count how many people arrive walking because they aren't too much. But they do not book tickets. First to arrive, first to buy a ticket for next bus (maximum 15 minutes except if too many people... 30 minutes... and keep on). They count how many people arrive national park. They count how many people leave it by bus... and if it is over 1800 they stop selling tickets.

Old August 24th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #7472
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In addition.... there is a daily service in Nerin twice per day and another one for mountandards.

Mountain service departs from Nerin at 7:00 and leaves you at the same heigth than the cabin at 8:00 (and two hours walking but no elevation)

Tourist service is at 10:00 and at 15:00 and takes 4 hours. Driver-guide will tell you a lot of about national pass (really a loooooot. He said, that you may not ask about any other valley, he will not know, but have been guard of the park for 15 years and knows each corner). You will have three stops and first of them will let you take all pictures you want like this:

Monte Perdido (Treserols) is in the middle, right Pico Añisclo, left, Cilindro de Marbore

Finally, after arriving at 19 for second tourist service, it will return to take back mountain service at 20 in the first stop.

For people going to mountain... it is the only way to reach Monte Perdido in the same day (being in Nerin at 7, taking that bus until 2.200m osl walking, returning and bus back at 20:00)

If you have enough time, take it!!!!!

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old August 24th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #7473
CNGL
Leudimin

I'm currently doing the Vuelta on Street View, and I found the ultimate example of how broad is the range of roads that can have a determined designation: CV-35, which is a motorway near Valencia and a goat path near the Castile La Mancha border. The further one gets from Valencia the worse CV-35 gets.
Quote:
Today I'm writing from the much beloved by some of our forumers province of Huesca.

And of course I had to drive some roads to get here and move around to discover so many amazing places. Basically parts of A-22, N-123, A-138, N-260 and N-260a. The worst part was undoubtedly N-260 between Boltaña and Fiscal: a goat path. The same can be said of N-260a between Fiscal and Broto, but at least there's less traffic there since the opening of the direct route of N-260 (Fiscal - Sabiñánigo).

Besides the basic road network, we've driven the whole HU-631 (not signed as such anywhere) between Sarvisé and Escalona, including the detour via Buerba due to the section through the Añiclos gorge being permanently closed since this year. As a result we had to hop on a shuttle bus to get to the starting point of our hiking through the gorge.

PS: we had also planned to drive to Torla and take the shuttle to Ordesa, but we had to turn back because the free parking in Torla was full and there was no place to park anywhere in the village.
N-260 gets worse just after the Balupor tunnels (well after Boltaña). And N-260a continues as a goat path until Biescas. From there to Sabiñanigo it's a good road, I guess they widened it before choosing to reroute N-260. As for HU-631, almost every road in Aragon that is below 3rd order regional (i.e. the "yellow" roads not numbered A-2xxx) is not signed along it (notable exceptions include CV-302 provincial road South of Ariza, and TE-620 near La Puebla de Valverde before it became part of A-2520). Some do get signed at intersections with higher order roads, like the mentioned HU-631. The Añisclo canyon section is closed due to the risk of rocks falling to the road.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #7474
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It is closed but there is a bus service to approach it as I could read in a national park information office!!!

Old August 25th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #7475
slickman

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
The Spanish government approved last week the projects of two new A-11 sections east of Valladolid:

- Olivares de Duero - Tudela de Duero (20.2 km). Estimated cost: €102.6 M.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...f-b57e89abd0f8

- Quintanilla de Arriba - Olivares de Duero (14.5 km). Estimated cost: €127.16 M.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...1-1084a9538c7e

The new motorway will be built far from current N-122, in order to avoid any impact on the renowned vineyards of the region (Ribera del Duero).
What about the remaining between Zamora and the portuguese boarder?
Old August 29th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #7476
CNGL
Leudimin

So I've been looking again at Andalusia's road network, and it appears they try to maximize the use of green since that is the brand colo(u)r of the Regional Government of Andalusia. They divide both the basic and the complementary networks (1st and 3rd tiers), and they change parts of them to green. So I've decided to consider all basic network roads to be "orange" regardless if they are part of the structural or articulation networks (the latter are downgraded to "green", leaving only A-316 and A-318 as truly "orange"), and all complementary network roads (those numbered A-xxxx) to be "yellow" regardless if they are metropolitan or not (the former are upgraded to "green"). This still leaves two roads (A-317 and A-348) in the "green" category despite they are longer than the longest road I consider to be "orange", A-384 (Although A-92 is way longer than A-317, it is a motorway and I label it blue, but the Regional Government emphatizes it is owned by them by signing it in orange).

BTW, the way Andalusia numbers their "yellow" roads produces some duplicates with Aragon (but interesting enough, they manage to avoid any duplicates with Alava). The duplicated roads are below:
A-1101: Sorbas to Zurgena / A-2 exit 287 to Herrera de los Navarros
A-1102: Sorbas to A-7 exit 724 (continuing the kmposts A-7 uses from la Vilavella to the Murcia/Andalusia border) / Villanueva de Gallego to Ejea de los Caballeros
A-1103: Parallel road to A-7 between exits 734 (N-341) and 724 / Erla to Biel
A-1201: A-332 (mistakenly labelled by Google Maps as RM-332) near Lobos to Murcia border past Pulpi / Navarre border to Sadaba
A-1202: A-7 exit 703 (near los Gallardos) to El Real / Ayerbe to Sadaba
A-1203: Mojacar coast bypass (A-370 to AL-6113) / Bardena to Pinsoro
A-1204: Former alignment of A-334 through Albox / Ejea de los Caballeros to Luesia
A-1205: Pulpi to San Juan de los Terreros / Jaca to La Peña (former alignment of N-330)
A-1207: A-352 to Garrucha / Esquedas to Tormos (Doesn't reach Gurrea de Gallego yet)
A-2101: A-405 to San Martin del Tesorillo (Google Maps still has it with its former number of CA-513) / N-330 near Botorrita to Fuendetodos
(Interestingly, Aragon skips to A-2105 so A-2102 and A-2103 only exist in Cadiz province near its iteration of A-2101)
A-2201: San Jose del Valle to Algar / reserved for Hostal de Ipies to Javierrelatre (currently HU-V-3001, pending upgrade by Huesca province, once done it will become A-2201)
A-2202: Jedula to Arcos de la Frontera / Barbastro to A-2208 near Hoz de Barbastro (not sure if already signed, part of it labelled by Google Maps as HU-V-3532)
A-2302: Grazalema to Ubrique / Calcena to Santa Cruz de Grio (intended to reach Castile and Leon border)
A-2304: Ubrique to Alcala de los Gazules / direct road from Rueda de Jalon to Epila (A-122 takes a detour to Lumpiaque)

This adds to the already known duplicates (A-124, A-126, A-132, A-231 and A-2602). Interestingly enough, Aragon is implied in all of them.
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:47 AM   #7477
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Just some hours ago.... A-22 between Sietamo and Huesca is to be taken on again.

Will cost 69 Million Euro

http://www.elperiodicodearagon.com/n...s_1223965.html

Old August 31st, 2017, 06:48 PM   #7478
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3924

After its authorization last month by the Spanish government, yesterday 3 new motorway sections were finally tendered by the Ministry of Fomento:

Northern access to Málaga Airport (1.6 km):

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...c-1239a3cb7220

A-33 between Caudete and A-31 (7 km):

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...3-4f39d6943fc0

A-22 between Siétamo and Huesca (12.8 km):

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...2-ba259631c416

Bertolt Brecht

ChrisZwolle liked this post
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:08 AM   #7479
CNGL
Leudimin

Finally! But I won't believe it until I see actual works on the last section of A–22. In MichiH style, it should read as follows:
A–22: Sietamo – Huesca (A–23) 12.8 km (Early 2018 to Late 2020) – ? – map
Old September 1st, 2017, 02:53 PM   #7480
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Why are there so many good 2-lane roads converging to Soría?

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida