daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #7501
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It is actually paved. Not thet best condition, but paved. It is not paved beyond the scenic overlook, but that part is not open to motorized travel.
Have gone trekking there when kid (after overlook area). I remember that from that point I could take Santander radio FM despite distance!!!!!

Quote:
Not when I was there last June, but 2017 was very hot early in the summer, I had 35°C in Potes. The Picos de Europa are very exposed to weather systems from the Atlantic (the north side is called the Costa Verde for a reason), so I'd guess this area gets lots of snow during the winter.

Potes 300m osl
San Glorio 1609 osl and only 28 km away

Fuente De... 1100ish (I think) and much more with cable.

You can reach 2.000 m after cable and walking for a while and... see the Ocean in different directions!!!!!!!

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #7502
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Bitch, please. This weekend I picked up a radio station out of La Almunia de Doña Godina near the Aragon/Navarre border... along A-21! I've also picked up some stations out of Huesca just Northeast of Calatayud. But my personal record was picking up a radio station out of Tarragona somewhere in Central Aragon (and exactly at the frequency of a Zaragoza station, which was the one I expected to pick up).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #7503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore. I usually have a memory stick with music in the USB port. I don't know about Spain but in the Netherlands you have to keep up with a repetitive music selection from a narrow range of hits, with DJs who think they're so funny and great. FM frequencies are auctioned off so only the standard commercial stations can afford to broadcoast nationwide. So you get the same music over and over again with only the standard hits. Less commercial genres are not available on radio nationwide except for some tax-funded public radio stations.

I think the DAB+ transition has limited future, with in-car entertainment systems and greater data plans for 4G, everyone will stream music, radio and traffic information via Apple Carplay or Android Auto.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #7504
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

To me, local media are part of the travel experience. That said, Europe really needs more decent rock stations. (The RTBF's "Classic21" isn't bad. Was able to listen to that as far south as Reims in the car.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #7505
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Regarding to CNGL info, not far from his homecity (centre of here https://www.google.es/maps/place/Pic....4020939?hl=es) there are a lot of antennas. They were built for Football World Cup in 1982 and remain in use. Due to they "look" forward south, in several sides it is easier to catch radio from there even than nearest station. For TV not so easy because they need more antennas and nearer.

I do not remember building new antennas in Spain but keeping current ones. The point is TV antennas... and at the same time they use for FM (There are only four AM radios in Spain)

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old September 12th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #7506
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3932

A-21

Construction of the missing A-21 section between Tiermas and Sigüés (province of Zaragoza) was finally tendered yesterday. It's just 6.6 km long, but it's of great importance as it will connect two completed motorway sections, and because current N-240 is supposed to be covered by the Yesa Reservoir waters in the mid term.

It will have three tunnels and two viaducts:

http://www.fomento.es/MFOMBPrensa/No...a-36572f03a5e4

Now there's only a single A-21 section left to be tendered. It's the 11 km section between the Zaragoza/Huesca boundary and Puente la Reina de Jaca. The remaining sections between Pamplona and Jaca are either tendered, under construction or open to traffic.

Bertolt Brecht

Highway89, MichiH liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #7507
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

¨They will be 77 km with continuity from Pamplona to near Berdun, full motorway 120 km/h

Later, a bit of road, still not started and later, expected for next year until Jaca

Old September 12th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #7508
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Quote:
Puerto de San Glorio is a 1609 meter high mountain pass of N-621 in Northern Spain, on the border of Cantabria and Castilla y León. It is located in the Picos de Europa range.

There is a side road which leads to a viewpoint over Picos de Europa

N-621 Puerto de San Glorio-4 by European Roads, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I am planning going there next July

I made a road trip of one day all around the Picos da Europa Mountain Range and i loved but i only saw fog and rain... [on the Asturias and Cantabria region, sun on the Castille & Leon region]

Photos of my road trip on the SSC-Portugal
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #7509
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I know what you mean, I was driving on A-8 in June 2015, the entire route from Gijón to Bilbao had low-hanging clouds, I had no idea the scenery was so mountainous until I drove it this year.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #7510
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
I know what you mean, I was driving on A-8 in June 2015, the entire route from Gijón to Bilbao had low-hanging clouds, I had no idea the scenery was so mountainous until I drove it this year.
It is the touristic area with less foreing people in Spain since it is raining all the year.

For Spaniards it is fine to choose even mountain, beaches, heritage, peaceful villages, (maybe the best in Spain) food, and green landscape.

I reckon that for someone who needs more than one day travel to approach, will prefer sandy dry and sunny beaches in Mediterranean... thus Atlantic is full of tourist but barely foreing.

Old September 12th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #7511
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
It is the touristic area with less foreing people in Spain since it is raining all the year.

For Spaniards it is fine to choose even mountain, beaches, heritage, peaceful villages, (maybe the best in Spain) food, and green landscape.

I reckon that for someone who needs more than one day travel to approach, will prefer sandy dry and sunny beaches in Mediterranean... thus Atlantic is full of tourist but barely foreing.
How close is it to the Camino de Santiago - you know, the old pilgrimage route now used by many as a long-distance hiking trail (I'm not sure I have the name right)? I hear a lot about that and know people who've done it, so I'm surprised you'd say there aren't many foreigners up there.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 12th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #7512
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
How close is it to the Camino de Santiago - you know, the old pilgrimage route now used by many as a long-distance hiking trail (I'm not sure I have the name right)? I hear a lot about that and know people who've done it, so I'm surprised you'd say there aren't many foreigners up there.
Main routes are those that enters in Spain through Roncesvalles and Somport. They appear in four ancient books about pilgrimage

There are too many and, for instance, there is a branch in San Glorio and a person who worked in a tourism office said me that she was surprised about how many people requested her just to stamp their "passports" (you have a sort of passports and getting stamps here and there you will have a souvenir and will provide you have reached Santiago walking or by bike, compulsory to get official document of pilgrim).

Other secondary lanes to Santiago are northern and "Via de la Plata" (from Seville), but Portuguese or whatever are easy to find.

In the "main route", in N-120 approaching Burgos, Lane is besides road and in summer morning (never in evening) you can see many pilgrims, some of them alone, some of them in little groups but never more than 500 m from one to another.

In summer in Galice, some sides of Santiago Lane is "an avenue" about people walking there.

Penn's Woods, simondanut liked this post
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #7513
OBAuto

Likes (Received): 0

A video about CL-615 on the section between Palencia and Carrión de los Condes (A-231 connection roundabout). It's remarkable the 8.2 km straight section between Villoldo and Carrión de los Condes and the green line painted next to the road shoulder line which remembers that you are on a radar controlled section.

by OBAuto on YouTube

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 13th, 2017 at 10:46 AM.
OBAuto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #7514
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I cannot see the video

They marked green lines one year ago or so, but indeed cameras are only 15ish km. away after Carrion roundabout with A-231 (hint, perfect place to stop and change driver, to re-fuel in petrol station or so... therefore, will never overpass radar there)

There are two long and straight over roads controlled in the area. People used to drive strongly faster and nowadays they are more careful.

By the way, driving to north, you can see away mountainscape and seeing how you are approaching.
Quite scenic being in the middle of Meseta but moutains ahead

Old September 13th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #7515
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Had google but street view has 2014 images, before that radar

First camera is, more or less, here

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.35179...2!8i6656?hl=es

Old September 13th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #7516
OBAuto

Likes (Received): 0

In this section there are only three cameras:

1 - Almost under A-65 bridge after passing CL-613 and CL-615 interchange roundabout.
2 - Villoldo's gas station straight some meters southbound with the gas station as reference.
3 - Carrión de los Condes entrace just before the first roundabout towards Guardo.

People usually ran about 120 km/h because the road is almost straight with little curves and nicely made crossings, exits and entrances. Now is easy to know who comes from previous camera section or not, because the people who exits from intermediate villages still running about 120 km/h while others run about 90-100 km/h. Biggest crashes on this road always happened on the crossings, almost never due to overspeeding. I think the only reason for installing this section radars is to increase public earnings.
OBAuto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #7517
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I live in Logroño and I usually go for a stroll or bike ride to a nearby lake. The road happens to be part of the Camino Francés, the most popular route, so I've had the chance to notice how the route has evolved througout the years. Every year I see more and more foreign pilgrims, especially Brazilians, Japanese, Koreans and North Americans. According to some sources, 278k pilgrims sealed its passport in Santiago in 2016, 55% of which were foreigners. Still nothing compared to the Mediterranean coast of Spain or the islands.

Penn's Woods, arctic_carlos liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #7518
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
I live in Logroño and I usually go for a stroll or bike ride to a nearby lake. The road happens to be part of the Camino Francés, the most popular route, so I've had the chance to notice how the route has evolved througout the years. Every year I see more and more foreign pilgrims, especially Brazilians, Japanese, Koreans and North Americans. According to some sources, 278k pilgrims sealed its passport in Santiago in 2016, 55% of which were foreigners. Still nothing compared to the Mediterranean coast of Spain or the islands.

I didn't realize there were so many versions of the route. I do have a friend who started at Oviedo; I told him that was "so far west it's cheating."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 13th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #7519
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3932

Yeah the route along the northern coast is less crowded than the traditional one, the so-called "camino francés" (via Logroño, Burgos and León).

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #7520
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBAuto View Post
In this section there are only three cameras:

1 - Almost under A-65 bridge after passing CL-613 and CL-615 interchange roundabout.
2 - Villoldo's gas station straight some meters southbound with the gas station as reference.
3 - Carrión de los Condes entrace just before the first roundabout towards Guardo.

People usually ran about 120 km/h because the road is almost straight with little curves and nicely made crossings, exits and entrances. Now is easy to know who comes from previous camera section or not, because the people who exits from intermediate villages still running about 120 km/h while others run about 90-100 km/h. Biggest crashes on this road always happened on the crossings, almost never due to overspeeding. I think the only reason for installing this section radars is to increase public earnings.

Fourth camera near Renedo de la Vega, first time where you may decrease speed after Carrion. This is radar area is from Carrion to Renedo (I always use to change driver in that area for a rest... and never will have problem with speed... even if I do not overspeed, not nice to be fined because 1 km/h or so)

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida