daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #741
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
If i read correctly on the Spanish forum, the final piece of the A23 opened today. That means there is a full motorway from Huesca via Zaragoza and Teruel to Valencia!
Right. That was one of the most important routes without direct motorway connection.

The construction pace in A-23 has been pretty high in the last years. More than 50km a year.

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #742
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Spain is so beautiful

Yeah spain is brilliant and the road quality of some of the roads are top notch .
timmy- brissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #743
madao

Likes (Received): 210

yeah when we go to morocco i always enjoy the roads in spain the beautifull mountains

last year we went not via madrid but via barcalona and alicante beautifull you see the sea from far away

and why do you see so much abondened cars on the side of the road who've had an accident
i always thought they left it there to warn the people about the dangerous higways between the mountains

only thing i dont like about the highways is if you want to get on i dont know the name for it in english but chris or any dutchman would like to help me (invoegstroken) are very short
madao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #744
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

acceleration lane or merging lane
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #745
Stifler
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by madao View Post
and why do you see so much abondened cars on the side of the road who've had an accident
i always thought they left it there to warn the people about the dangerous higways between the mountains
On the side of the highways??

No, we don't use such a shocking traffic campaign. I guess you simply happened to cross Spain in the peak days of summer (with the largest amount of accidents as well), so breakdown vans aren't enough to satisfy the demand. I also remember a long strike in that sector a couple of summers ago, so maybe you got that impression back then.

What it actually happens pretty often and annoys me a lot are abandoned cars parked in the city center for months with a big poster: 'For sale, call xxx'.

Quote:
only thing i dont like about the highways is if you want to get on i dont know the name for it in english but chris or any dutchman would like to help me (invoegstroken) are very short
Yeah, in many stretches I don't like them either, although in the new motorways situation has improved a lot.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #746
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
What it actually happens pretty often and annoys me a lot are abandoned cars parked in the city center for months with a big poster: 'For sale, call xxx'.
Yeah, that used to be a problem too in Rotterdam. Now they have signs that do not allow selling cars on the streets, and they just tow the vehicle away.
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #747
Booze

Likes (Received): 43

I've never seen an abandoned car on a highway
Booze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #748
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

I've seen abandoned cars from highways, but never inside the highways (but near them).

Bye!
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #749
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:

I think those acceleration lanes in Spain are smaller because the amount of traffic used to be lower before. Accelerarion lanes in The Netherlands are very long because of the high amount of traffic. In Spain on several routes there is not many traffic, so you can easely accelarate on the highway.

I agree that most of them should be redesigned or must be longer, because some of them are dangerous.
picassoborseli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booze View Post
You should visit Belgium then

Especially in Wallonia, i have seen a lot of abandoned cars on the motorway. I also seen someone missing the exit, and driving in reverse on the through lanes
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #751
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booze View Post
There was 1 in Autovia de Castelldefels in El Prat de Llobregat until 1 year ago, but out from the pavement.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #752
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
yeah when we go to morocco i always enjoy the roads in spain the beautifull mountains

last year we went not via madrid but via barcalona and alicante beautifull you see the sea from far away

Well, if you took the A-1&A-4 (via Madrid) or the AP-7 (via Barcelona), no wonder you saw short exit/acceleration lanes; they're three of the oldest highways in Spain. However, the A-1 and A-4 will be improved soon, as I wrote some posts before you. There is also a plan for widening the AP-7 in Catalonia (PDF).

As for the abandoned cars, I've never seen any. Probably it's common in the summer as Stifler said.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #753
madao

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
Well, if you took the A-1&A-4 (via Madrid) or the AP-7 (via Barcelona), no wonder you saw short exit/acceleration lanes; they're three of the oldest highways in Spain. However, the A-1 and A-4 will be improved soon, as I wrote some posts before you. There is also a plan for widening the AP-7 in Catalonia (PDF).

As for the abandoned cars, I've never seen any. Probably it's common in the summer as Stifler said.
aaaah oke, i see thank you for the when are they gonna begin with improving?

further spanish roads are great i hope soon the moroccan will get like in spain
madao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #754
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
aaaah oke, i see thank you for the when are they gonna begin with improving?
There is a lot of work to do so it won't be completed soon, but I think that some parts are already (or very soon) being reformed.

I suggest you to take A-1 or A-2 till Madrid, then M-50 till R-5 (I think it's free if you are going to get the AP-41 because both have the same toll company) then AP-41 (~6 or 7€) till Toledo, then CM-42 (or A-42 in the first kms from AP-41) and then A-4. Possibly this route has more kms but R-5/AP-41/CM-42 are very new and without traffic (you can go alone in the autopista or autovía for several kms)

Bye!
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #755
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Cantabria and Asturias!

Viaducto de los Santos (Antes de ensanchar)

Viaducto de Navia

Viaducto de Canero

Puente del Pintor Fierros (o Arco de la Regenta)

Viaducto de San Pedro de la Ribera (antes de ensanchar)

Viaducto del Nalón

Viaducto de Ferrería

Viaductos de Raíces (N-632, Variante de Avilés, en primer plano, la A-8 al fondo)

A-66

Viaducto de Serín

Puente sobre el Nalón

A-64

Viaductos de Lieres

AS-17

Puente atirantado de Sama

Viaducto de El Entrego

Old February 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #756
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Cantabria and Asturias!

Viaducto de los Santos (Antes de ensanchar)

I've never seen anything like this anywhere else!
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #757
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's the A8 near Ribadeo
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #758
Stifler
That's what she said

Nice pics. All of them are taken in Asturias. The geography favour the construction of loads of bridges and tunnel, so we have quite a lot.

A8 is not the best example of motorway planning though. 10/15 years ago they improved the old Nacional road building a dozen of big bridges and now most of them cannot be expanded to reach motorway standards so they have to build new ones parallel to the Nacional road.

One of the few bridges expanded

The whole A8 should be completed by 2009, but enviromental and NIMBYs problems have delayed a couple of stretches until 2010 or 2011.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #759
Zibou

Likes (Received): 0

Missing link IP-3/A-52 northern portugal

Hello all,

Does anyone know when the missing link between the IP-3 in Portugal and the Autovia 52 in Spain will be built ? For the moment, the IP-3 comes to a crashing halt at the border, and there's about 10 km of national road before catching up the A-52.
* Map click here
* Google Earth view

Another question, this one about the A-8 : how far west is it supposed to go ?

Thanks for your answer.
Zibou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #760
Stifler
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibou View Post
Does anyone know when the missing link between the IP-3 in Portugal and the Autovia 52 in Spain will be built ? For the moment, the IP-3 comes to a crashing halt at the border, and there's about 10 km of national road before catching up the A-52.
It's already under construction and will be named A-75.

Last news I read expected it to be open in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibou View Post
Another question, this one about the A-8 : how far west is it supposed to go ?
It will cover the whole Cantabric coast, so it will go from French border in Irún to Baamonde (province of Lugo). There you can take A-6 to reach La Coruña.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida