daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #7661
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3977

A-67

The Spanish government has authorized the tendering of a new 2.95 km section of A-67 near Torrelavega (Cantabria). Currently, A-67 and A-8 share the same 2x2 alignment north of Torrelavega, which causes traffic congestion very often. The construction of this new alignment of A-67 will put an end to this problem. It has an estimated cost of € 165 M.

Official press release (in Spanish): http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...4-4f9a3d59dc00

New A-67 alignment northeast of Torrelavega:

Bertolt Brecht

Highway89 liked this post
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #7662
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

A-67

This has been fast.

After the Spanish government authorized the tendering last Friday, today Fomento has already tendered the construction of this new A-67 section.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...c-8fd5085b963c

Bertolt Brecht
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #7663
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

A slightly better map:

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #7664
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Will be the current alignment of the A-67 North of Torrelavega renumbered between the new Barreda Interchange and the A-8? TR-XX?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #7665
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Thoughts from the Costa del Sol:

1) The coast road (A-7) from Fuengirola to the end of the AP-7 west of Estapona is a mess. They really should eliminate many junctions and replace it with a proper collector/distributor road - there's space to do it in many areas, at least going west.

The new-ish bit of A-7 west of Estapona is also horrible. It's not an old road, but the countless roundabouts means that it really should be signed N-340 and not A-7.

2) The A-7/AP-7 outer Malaga bypass is...well, why on earth is there a 100km/h limit from the AP-46 all the way to the merge with the MA-30? It's a beautiful road, and there's no reason whatsoever for traffic to be held at 100km/h.

3) The AP-46 still seems completely useless to me, and having used it several times (my wife is scared of the A-45 :/) over the last few days, it's clear that it doesn't really offer any advantages at all. It's also very clear that the speed limits were lowered intentionally on the A-45 to encourage traffic onto the AP-46.

4) Spanish speed limits seem to be completely and totally arbitrary. I noticed today when driving between Malaga and Seville that the A-92 in particular has some strange 100 sections that simply don't justify it, while some bad corners remain 120km/h.

And so, my questions:

1) When did the Fuengirola bypass open? I mean, not the new AP-7, but the current A-7/old N-340.

2) Is there anything new and major planned to be built road-wise on the Costa del Sol?

3) What's the story with the access to La Linea? It seems that both motorways end very suddenly and deposit traffic onto roads that are completely unsuitable.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #7666
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Spain is very zealous with speed limits. Those apparently pointless 100 and 80 km/h zones are all over the country. Essentially every corner tighter than some very strict criteria must have a speed restriction. Every offramp has signs descending from 120 to 60 or 40 in 20 km/h steps. Other countries are not that strict.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #7667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
1) When did the Fuengirola bypass open? I mean, not the new AP-7, but the current A-7/old N-340.
1990:

Old October 19th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #7668
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

So I've watched ChrisZwolle's A-21 video again, and now I've realized both times I've driven it all the way to its end instead of taking AP-15 North to Pamplona I took the loop into Noain. Once again what attracted me to that Pamplona suburb was the trail running event that took place the Saturday I was headed towards Urbasa ridge, even though this time I didn't take part in it as I was going to run an orienteering course that afternoon. One odd fact about Noain's streets is that one can legally drive on this boardwalk!!! And even better, the street to the left is now closed to general traffic, so if one ends up in that street will have no choice but to use the boardwalk.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #7669
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

A-7

A-7 is planned to be widened to 2x3 between exits 438 (west of Almería) and 429 (Aguadulce, interchange with A-1051 - which will be refurbished). The project writing has just been tendered.

The widening has an estimated cost of €31.5 M. Fortunately the Aguadulce tunnels are already prepared to 2x3.

Source (in Spanish): http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...4-234256b2a2b4

Map (sorry for the bad quality):

Bertolt Brecht

g.spinoza liked this post
Old October 19th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #7670
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are also three viaducts which have support columns wide enough to expand the bridges inward. This explains the low cost of the expansion project (€ 3.5 million per km).
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:14 PM   #7671
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

SE-40

Google Earth has updated its aerial footage of the Seville area with images taken last July, which means we can get a general overview of the current state of the 3 SE-40 sections currently under construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
SE40: Espartinas (A49) – Almensilla ~7km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
SE40: Almensilla – Coria del Rio ~7km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
SE40: Carretera de la Isla (A4) – Torrequinto (A376) 8.1km (? to March 2018) – ? – map
The two first sections are quite advanced. There shouldn't be any problems to open them on time.

Unfortunately, the section between A-4 and A-376 seems less advanced. They should work hard to get it done by March 2018.

Quote:
SE40: Coria del Rio – El Copero ~3.5km (? to suspended) – ? – map
SE40: El Copero – Carretera de la Isla (A4) ~2km (? to March 2018) – ? – map
I'd personally merge these two sections, because there won't be any partial opening until the tunnels beneath the river Guadalquivir are built. In Google Earth it's now pretty clear where the current construction works end, about 1 km west of A-4.

Bertolt Brecht

MichiH liked this post
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:37 PM   #7672
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Which Island has more impressive roads? Gran Canaria or Tenerife?
Old October 21st, 2017, 09:47 PM   #7673
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1192

Tenerife IMO. The roads in and around the Teide National Park are stunning.

Suburbanist, geogregor liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:21 PM   #7674
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In addition, highest Spanish mountain pass (not a point where to arrive by car but a road that comes from a village, climbs a mountain, cross a pass and go ahead) is in Tenerife

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

Suburbanist liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:58 PM   #7675
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

I am on the early stages of planning a trip July next year. Options are the hinterland of Portugal, Galicia and Andalucia, or Madeira, one of the Canary Islands and Wales or Scotland.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:17 AM   #7676
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
1990:

Wow, thank you very much for this!

I'm shocked, to be honest. I thought much of the infrastructure dated from earlier, possibly even the 1970's. It's hard to imagine traffic using the old N-340 through Fuengirola in the 1980's, especially as many of the big hotels and apartments were built in the 1970's and 1980's.

It's a shame to see how Fuengirola and Benalmadena have wrecked the old coast road, too. The exit from the A-7 towards Benalmadena now has some really intolerable limits, including large sections of 30km/h which is just far, far too slow.

I wonder if there were already plans for the current AP-7 to be built when they were planning the Malaga-Marbella section? It would make sense as to why they upgraded the N-340 in such a poor way, because it only had to last 10 years before being replaced by a proper motorway. I used the Fuengirola-Malaga section of the old N-340 a lot in the 1990's, but I don't remember if the Fuengirola-Benalmadena section was signed as autovia or not.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:29 AM   #7677
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I am on the early stages of planning a trip July next year. Options are the hinterland of Portugal, Galicia and Andalucia, or Madeira, one of the Canary Islands and Wales or Scotland.
If you have enough time and just wanna to drive with stunning landscapes... choose El Hierro by far.

There are only 30 km corner to corner (15 km north-south) but can see that arriving to airport, to reach Valverde have to climb 1.500ish mountain passes or tiny one way tunnels (barely traffic, only one lane with traffic lights)

When a vulcano started some years ago 2 km ahead from the coast (coming from 2000 m below sea level it made a mountain that kept only 500m under sea. Should it had continue, a new island in Canaries), they had to isolate some areas and other ones had forbidden to cross tunnels, therefore, a long detour through mountains.

https://www.google.es/maps/place/389....9150422?hl=es

Important!!!!

To reach there, providing you do not want to have a long ferry journey, the only way to reach El Hierro is by plane via Tenerife NORTH airport.
(almost all international flights arrive to Tenerife south. They are in the same island but will have to find how to link from airport to airport... or hire a car and drive through Teide mountain pass btw!!!!).

Nowadays, in winter season I can see, 3 daily journeys, 4 in friday, less ones in weekends.

In summer I think 4 daily ones at least from Tenerife North and sometimes per week from La Palma island

The island has 10.000 population and that's all service

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:59 AM   #7678
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
The two first sections are quite advanced. There shouldn't be any problems to open them on time.
The first one, Almensilla-Espartinas, haven't changed since (at least) 2014. It's finished (nearly) but not opened, probably because that section doesn't make a lot of sense without the tunnels and it makes absolutely no sense without the second section, so I bet Almensilla-Espartinas will not be opened at least until Coria del Río-Almensilla is opened or maybe even until the tunnels are finished (which probably means 2022 or later )

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Unfortunately, the section between A-4 and A-376 seems less advanced. They should work hard to get it done by March 2018.
Yes, some structures are not still built. I think, every pillar is finished, but a lot of beams aren't in their place, so... 2018 still seems to be the most likely date of opening, but it will not be in March.

For detailing better this information:
Beams of the bridge over Av. Leopoldo Calvo Sotelo are collocated since months ago, Google Maps still doesn't show it, but on Google Earth it can be seen that the bridge is finished:
(https://www.google.es/maps/@37.30077.../data=!3m1!1e3)
Beams over the A-4 haven't still been collocated, this will probably be the last bridge to be built, but in Google Earth is possible to see that it is more advanced than the picture shown by Google Maps:
(https://www.google.es/maps/@37.29477.../data=!3m1!1e3)

Aaaaand the new that I can offer that can not be seen even in Google Earth is that over Avenida de las Universidades (https://www.google.es/maps/@37.29944.../data=!3m1!1e3), the beams are being collocated. There are beams just over the lanes of the avenue below (these ones will be colocated soon), and some betweent the previous one and the sand (these one were colocated very few days ago), and is the last advanced that could be seen on SE-40.
I have photos of them, if someone wants them I can send through email or telegram, and later they can be upload here, but I prefer to don't upload them by myself.

Quote:
[B]
SE40: Espartinas (A49) – Almensilla ~7km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
SE40: Almensilla – Coria del Rio ~7km (? to Late 2017) – ? – map
SE40: El Copero – Carretera de la Isla (A4) ~2km (? to March 2018) – ? – map
SE40: Carretera de la Isla (A4) – Torrequinto (A376) 8.1km (? to March 2018) – ? – map
SE40: Coria del Rio – El Copero ~3.5km (? to suspended) – ? – map
I don't know if MichiH read this conversation, but I'd recommend him to rename the sections, like this:
Almensilla-Espartinas
Coria del Río-Almensilla
Carretera de la Isla (A4)-El Copero
Torrequinto-Carretera de la Isla
El Copero-Coria del Río.

The km0 of SE-40 is near the airport, and increasing direction of kms go in clockwork direction, not in the opposite.

Edit: 2019 is a year with local elections in May, but in Andalousia we will likely have regional elections even before (March), so maybe the end of 2018 will have lot of new opened roads.

arctic_carlos, MichiH, Highway89 liked this post

Last edited by adevahi; October 22nd, 2017 at 12:08 PM.
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:39 PM   #7679
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
and Wales or Scotland.
Sorry for OT but go for Scotland. It has way more interesting drives.

And Tenerife is fun to drive. Has anything, from busy motorways to some crazy narrow mountain roads, like TF-436, road to Masca.

There are plenty of flight there and car rental is cheap and easy to arrange.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 01:49 PM   #7680
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Wow, thank you very much for this!

I'm shocked, to be honest. I thought much of the infrastructure dated from earlier, possibly even the 1970's. It's hard to imagine traffic using the old N-340 through Fuengirola in the 1980's, especially as many of the big hotels and apartments were built in the 1970's and 1980's.

It's a shame to see how Fuengirola and Benalmadena have wrecked the old coast road, too. The exit from the A-7 towards Benalmadena now has some really intolerable limits, including large sections of 30km/h which is just far, far too slow.

I wonder if there were already plans for the current AP-7 to be built when they were planning the Malaga-Marbella section? It would make sense as to why they upgraded the N-340 in such a poor way, because it only had to last 10 years before being replaced by a proper motorway. I used the Fuengirola-Malaga section of the old N-340 a lot in the 1990's, but I don't remember if the Fuengirola-Benalmadena section was signed as autovia or not.
What you're saying have been common issues all across Spain. Development, especially in the coast, was too fast for state budgets to provide adequate infrastructure on time. Tourism boomed in the 1960s and 70s and roads couldn't simply cope with that. In the 1980s, a compromise was met by upgrading existing roads into first-generation autovías like A-7 in Costa del Sol. The then-MOPU (now called Fomento) was of course aware that it would not take long before this substandard roads needed upgrading, but a dual-carriageway, partially grade-separated road was better than nothing and Spain experienced a heavy reduction on traffic fatalities during the 1990s.

Fuengirola-Benalmádena has still old autovía signage (light blue on white background) in some points so it was likely an autovía from the beginning. About the local governments downgrading the road and setting (and sometimes enforcing) funny speed limits -that's commonplace in Spain. Transferring roads to local councils should be banned.

Plans for AP-7 might have been drawn in the 1980s (I honestly don't know), but upgrading the coastal road was a real urgency back then, and toll concessionaires weren't interested on new projects in that years. The first-generation toll motorways (AP-7, AP-6, AP-1) flopped and they didn't become profitable until the 1990s.

arctic_carlos liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida