daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:00 PM   #7781
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Today I took several pictures of the N-111 between Islallana and Torrecilla en Cameros, in La Rioja. It's probably the part with the best landscapes.

The N-111 running through the Peñas de Islallana (seen from Viguera, looking north). These rocks mark a sudden transition between the wide, dry Ebro valley and the narrow, more rainy Iregua valley, along which the N-111 goes.

Peñas de Islallana by J GM, en Flickr

Seen from below:

N-111 km 306 (C) by J GM, en Flickr

Now we get into the Iregua valley:

N-111 km 298 (D) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 297 (C) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 297 (D) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 295 (C) (2) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 291 (C) by J GM, en Flickr

The whole set of photos can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142131...57690611153684

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2017, 09:26 PM   #7782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

AP-9 Puente de Rande

The Rande Bridge expansion will be inaugurated on 30 December. They built new lanes on each side of the bridge.

http://www.eldiario.es/politica/Rajo...721278895.html

It seems like they did a fast job, June 2017 imagery in Google Earth shows that they only started on the main span around that time. It's quite a unique project.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

arctic_carlos, adevahi liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:33 AM   #7783
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3920

AC-15

A 2.9 km extension of AC-15 (access to A Coruña outer port) between AG-55 and AC-14 was approved last Thursday. It won't have motorway standards, just 2+1.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...4-036b87636f3e

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM   #7784
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Today I took several pictures of the N-111 between Islallana and Torrecilla en Cameros, in La Rioja. It's probably the part with the best landscapes.

The N-111 running through the Peñas de Islallana (seen from Viguera, looking north). These rocks mark a sudden transition between the wide, dry Ebro valley and the narrow, more rainy Iregua valley, along which the N-111 goes.
Peñas de Islallana by J GM, en Flickr

Seen from below:
N-111 km 306 (C) by J GM, en Flickr

Now we get into the Iregua valley:
N-111 km 298 (D) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 297 (C) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 297 (D) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 295 (C) (2) by J GM, en Flickr

N-111 km 291 (C) by J GM, en Flickr

The whole set of photos can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142131...57690611153684
I drove this in Fall/Autumn 2015. The transition from suburban Logroño into the New Camero valley is impressive, you drive in a pretty open area and bam, you are suddenly in a narrow valley.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Suburbanist liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:51 AM   #7785
ChrisZwolle
Road user

La Rioja is on my bucket list. It's not on any long-distance route when coming from France so you really have to want to go there in order to get through there.

There were plans for an autovía along the N-111 corridor?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:17 PM   #7786
CNGL
Leudimin

You already have A-15 between Medinaceli and Soria and A-12 between Logroño and Pamplona. Both are along N-111 corridor. Between Soria and Logroño nothing has ever been planned, it would be very difficult to build a motorway through either of the Cameros valleys due mostly to enviromental concerns. The presence of an A-13 in Logroño (when it should be LO-xx) has made to believe it was planned as a Logroño-Soria motorway, but it is actually the number Fomento intended for the aforementioned A-12 section, they also thought Navarre would build its motorway to that stub instead of connecting to NA-134 downstream. As a result they had to build a new bridge across the Ebro river and to renumber all exits West of Logroño, and left a clearly urban motorway with an intercity number (There's also A-70 around Alicante, but A was the former plate code for that province).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:01 PM   #7787
Highway89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I drove this in Fall/Autumn 2015. The transition from suburban Logroño into the New Camero valley is impressive, you drive in a pretty open area and bam, you are suddenly in a narrow valley.
Did you find it similar to Huesca? More specifically the Congosto del Isuela and the Mallos de Riglos. I've always found the city of Huesca sort of a geographically "mirrored" version of Logroño.

Anyway, the Peñas de Islallana is not the only place in La Rioja with such an abrupt transition between the Ebro valley and its tributaries. There are at least four more transitions of this kind:

LR-113 along the Najerilla in Anguiano: https://goo.gl/maps/LGkK6t4ZfSE2
LR-250 along the Leza in Leza: https://goo.gl/maps/1Q4jtE5TGZ82
LR-261 along the Jubera in Jubera: https://goo.gl/maps/eePh5hUJGxx
LR-115 along the Cidacos in Arnedillo: https://goo.gl/maps/TVTnMj33WDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
La Rioja is on my bucket list. It's not on any long-distance route when coming from France so you really have to want to go there in order to get through there.

There were plans for an autovía along the N-111 corridor?
Probably once the A-12 to Burgos is finished, some traffic coming from France will be attracted. Hendaye-Burgos via Pamplona (N-121-A) and Logroño (A-12) would be about 30 km longer (~+13%) but completely toll-free and much less crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
You already have A-15 between Medinaceli and Soria and A-12 between Logroño and Pamplona. Both are along N-111 corridor. Between Soria and Logroño nothing has ever been planned, it would be very difficult to build a motorway through either of the Cameros valleys due mostly to enviromental concerns. The presence of an A-13 in Logroño (when it should be LO-xx) has made to believe it was planned as a Logroño-Soria motorway, but it is actually the number Fomento intended for the aforementioned A-12 section, they also thought Navarre would build its motorway to that stub instead of connecting to NA-134 downstream. As a result they had to build a new bridge across the Ebro river and to renumber all exits West of Logroño, and left a clearly urban motorway with an intercity number (There's also A-70 around Alicante, but A was the former plate code for that province).
There's also the A-65 in Palencia and, until recently, the A-51 in Ávila.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:47 PM   #7788
CNGL
Leudimin

A-65 is planned to be extended to A-6, hence its number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Did you find it similar to Huesca? More specifically the Congosto del Isuela and the Mallos de Riglos. I've always found the city of Huesca sort of a geographically "mirrored" version of Logroño.
There are some differences, though. Along A-23/N-330 it starts climbing towards the Monrepos pass as one hits the mountains (There is a great view going Southbound). Along A-132 one has paralleled the mountains for quite some time (This wouldn't be the case if N-330 was built as originally planned). On the other hand I found N-111 to be more dramatic, as it retains a suburban feeling right until the mountains. Another road that goes through a scenery change and I want to drive, but I won't do so until I lift my self-imposed ban on Catalonia, is C-14 North of Oliana, which is what the originally planned N-330 would have looked like.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:53 PM   #7789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

When I was driving on A-23 near Huesca for the first time I noticed those big rockfaces in the distance. I thought 'it would be cool if the autovía went through there'. But A-23 goes a little further to the west, which is also quite a scenic route.

Here you can see those rock faces on the right:

A-23 Huesca by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highway89 liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2017, 03:16 PM   #7790
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

This is the best example about how SIGNALS shouldn't appear.

This is... approachin Huesca you will see Pamplona or Lerida.

Any person being in Zaragoza or coming from somewhere before would get AP-68+AP-15 to go to Pamplona and AP-2 to go to Lerida.

They could point Jaca/Pau and Barbastro (where you can change to several roads to Pyrenees)

In addition, in the middle of by-pass you have this junction to a regional road and, having several intermediate destinations, they point somewhere ahead.
Therefore... should you come from Zaragoza and approach Huesca, you see... Pamplona ahead, Pamplona in the left and Lerida in the right.

Has it any sense?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 03:21 PM   #7791
CNGL
Leudimin

These rockfaces are named Salto de Roldán (Roland's jump). I've been atop one of them once.

Anyway, the sign on the foreground has been replaced, and now Ayerbe is signed: https://www.google.es/maps/@42.14059...7i13312!8i6656
Old December 23rd, 2017, 03:27 PM   #7792
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

You can drive up to several km before (forbidden to drive some km before) and walk for a while. Stunning views (and CNGL could spot Huesca from there for a banner, views are wonderful).

Look at pannel.... the valley below signal "A-132" is where A-23 cross mountains!!!!!!

Old December 24th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #7793
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A-228

I took some photos of A-228 across Puerto de San Rafael. It is near Valdelinares in Teruel province.

A-228 Puerto de San Rafael-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-228 Puerto de San Rafael-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-228 Puerto de San Rafael-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A-228 Puerto de San Rafael-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

Highway89, Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 24th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #7794
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I'll copy-paste in another thread. They are cool

Which direction did you took after Alcala de la selva?

Old December 26th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #7795
adevahi

Likes (Received): 1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Rande Bridge expansion will be inaugurated on 30 December. They built new lanes on each side of the bridge.

http://www.eldiario.es/politica/Rajo...721278895.html

It seems like they did a fast job, June 2017 imagery in Google Earth shows that they only started on the main span around that time. It's quite a unique project.

(...)
I've loved this project since the first time I hear about it. Hope to see it also in Sevilla on "Puente del Centenario", but maybe with SE-40 will not be necessary.

arctic_carlos liked this post
adevahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #7796
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3920

A-63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A63: Cornellana – Doriga 2.4km (2006 to 26th December 2017) – ? – map
It was opened today:

More images:

http://www.elcomercio.es/asturias/mi...111548-ga.html

Official press release (in Spanish):

http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOMBPrens...d-7ba30d70b64b

Besides, estimated opening dates for the remaining A-63 sections were also announced:

Quote:
A63: Salas-East – Cornellana 7.3km (? to suspended) – ? – map
Opening planned for 2020. Current degree of execution is 35%.

Quote:
A63: La Espina – Salas-East 11.7km (? to suspended) [2nd c/w] – ? – map
It will be ready before the previous one, but an exact date was not announced. Given that construction works still require 12 months, according to the Minister, it will probably open in 2019.

Bertolt Brecht

MichiH liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #7797
Highway89

I'll post a couple of pictures:

Source: http://www.elcomercio.es/asturias/mi...111548-ga.html

arctic_carlos, Attus, ilyan, pai nosso liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #7798
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Soller tunnel (most expensive tolled road in Europe) will be free after midnight

It is supposed to have a visit of Balearic government since 23:30 today

https://www.google.es/maps/@39.71726...2!8i6656?hl=es

https://ultimahora.es/noticias/part-...suprimido.html

Peines liked this post
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #7799
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Soller tunnel (most expensive tolled road in Europe) will be free after midnight
Boom!

It's just the most expensive road tunnel in Spain based on price per kilometre.
https://www.mallorca-spotlight.com/n...nnel-toll-free

Not quite the same thing.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #7800
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think comparing toll rates for a single object (bridge or tunnel) with a long-distance motorway by toll rate per kilometer is pretty much apples and oranges anyway.

arctic_carlos liked this post

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida