daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #1141
AdamChobits
♥사랑해요♥

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Bienvenidos a España, con sus playas increíbles! Y con un poquiiiiito de nieve...
Yep. Some people wrongly believe that in Spain is always summer and that it never rains or snow.
AdamChobits no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #1142
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Spain hosted the alpine skiing world championships in 1996 at Sierra Nevada. Even though it was supposed to be held in 1995 but was cancelled. Why Shortage of snow!

But really, how often does it snow in Madrid? At least there are some plows.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1143
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
In the city of Madrid maybe once a year, but not as much as yesterday and the snow rarely settles on the roads. Snow is pretty common in the NW mountains though. For example, it's easy to find snow in Rascafría, Navacerrada, Guadarrama and El Escorial.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1144
Dasz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Spain hosted the alpine skiing world championships in 1996 at Sierra Nevada. Even though it was supposed to be held in 1995 but was cancelled. Why Shortage of snow!

La Molina ski resort, located in the Pyrenees, hosted this last december two races (slalom & giant slalom) from the FIS world ski cup 2008, also will host 2011 snowboard world cup.

Sierra Nevada had problems to organize the world ski cup in 1995 because of an unusual lack of snow, you have to know that although Sierra Nevada is considered the most southern ski resort in Europe it is located at a very high altitude, the lowest point is at 2100 metres and the highest at 3300.

In Madrid is not very common to see snow because winter isn't a very rainly season, temparatures can be cold, january avarage is about 5 ºC.

Snow is very frequent in higher altitudes (from 1300 or 1500 metres) in the south this altitudes can be slightly higher.
Also is usual to have snow in some capital cities at lower altitudes, specially in the northern territories, some examples are Burgos, Vitoria, Avila, Soria... Where january avarages are between 2 and 3,5 ºC
Dasz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #1145
zazo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 132

It has snowed 4 days this winter in Madrid city, but only 2 have become the city in a white country.
The city is always hotter than the villages which are around (they use to be white in winter) because of the cars, the roads, the tall buildings and small streets, the subway and the electronic systems (to create hot inside the buldings), so it uses to be more 5 digrees than the rest of the region
zazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM   #1146
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Not related to motorways, but good news anyway: The Spanish government will signalize the Tramos de Concentración de Accidentes (TCAs - Stretches with a high concentration of accidents). Currently there are 776 TCAs, 314 of them are being reformed, the reforms of the other 462 should start before 2012. 1.2 B€ will be spent in four years. Source (in Spanish): http://www.fomento.es/NR/rdonlyres/C...5/09011301.pdf

The Plan (also in Spanish): http://www.fomento.es/NR/rdonlyres/B...113PlanTCA.pdf

These signs will be used from now to the end of the works:

And now some videos. This is maybe one of the worst TCAs in Spain: The N-232 between Pedrola (Zaragoza) and Cortes (Navarre). The asphalt is OK, there are no dangerous curves, the weather is generally good... but the number of trucks and the local traffic make it the "carretera de la muerte".

The 54 worst TCAs were analyzed by the Spanish Autopista magazine: Watch the videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...7C5C1866456781
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:31 PM   #1147
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I guess that's also why many relatively quiet N-roads are being transformed into Autovías, less accidents.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1148
LilMocr0

Likes (Received): 10

Here are some pictures I took last summer on the A-1/N-1 "Autovia del Norte"

LilMocr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:47 AM   #1149
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244519

Snow photos are amazing!
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #1150
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highways or motorways?

Motorways; somewhere between 13.000 and 14.000 kilometers. It rivals the French and German motorway networks to be the 3rd longest in the world.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1151
zazo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 132

How many kilometres of highways are in Spain?
zazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:46 PM   #1152
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Some recently built stretches. Pics from the Ministry of Public Works magazine.

A8 close to Tapia

A8 between Reinante and Barreiros.

Barres junction in A8.

Testing de los Santos bridge. It's exactly the border between the regions of Asturias and Galicia.

A62 close to Portugal.

7.2km straight in A43.

A43 paralel to N-310.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:19 AM   #1153
Morsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
Some recently built stretches. Pics from the Ministry of Public Works magazine.

7.2km straight in A43.

A43 paralel to N-310.
I have only one thing to say: Meep-meep!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM   #1154
Timon91
Error

I guess that the police can earn quite a lot of money out of that straight stretch
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1155
Morsue

There is a similar stretch on the A-92N in Andalucia between the small towns of Cúllar Baza and Chirivel. They have the speed limit posted on large yellow signs together with the text RECUERDE (remember). Once, couldn't fight the temptation and passed the 200 mark... But AFAIK that's not a grave offence under Spanish law. You need to be speeding more than 50 percent above the speed limit, i.e. 210 on a 120 road.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM   #1156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I guess that the police can earn quite a lot of money out of that straight stretch
Oh that's nothing, I noticed a 105 kilometer straight stretch in US 412 in Oklahoma.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1157
Timon91
Error

Yeah, but this is Europe, Chris. So people tend to drive much faster whenever there is a straight stretch (like people testing their cars on the A31 in Germany or the Afsluitdijk over here). In the Midwest people are used to straight roads.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #1158
Morsue

Also, in Europe roads are engineered to avoid monotony. I just wonder how many people have put their car on cruise control on that stretch in Oklahoma and then checked in for the night (or forever). My favorite stretch of motorway in Spain (and possibly Europe) is the A-31 descent towards Alicante. 120 kmh speed limit but a lot of curves mixed with straights, should really be only a 100 kmh limit. But it's fun to drive.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM   #1159
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

I am really impressed how Spain improved their infrastructure... especially Madrid and its ring roads
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1160
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

The longest straight motorway stretch I have driven in Spain was 13km in A4 south of Madrid. No idea if there are longer ones. In general Castilla-La Mancha is full of straight stretches.

Quote:
Once, couldn't fight the temptation and passed the 200 mark... But AFAIK that's not a grave offence under Spanish law. You need to be speeding more than 50 percent above the speed limit, i.e. 210 on a 120 road.
I am afraid authorities have become tougher with speed limits in the last years. You would be fined with €380 at 200kph, and a Spaniard would lose his license if his is caught twice at that speed (it would take away 6 points, and we start with 12 points).

Quote:
My favorite stretch of motorway in Spain (and possibly Europe) is the A-31 descent towards Alicante. 120 kmh speed limit but a lot of curves mixed with straights, should really be only a 100 kmh limit. But it's fun to drive.
Good choice! One of my personal favs as well.

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida