daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1241
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
BTW, for those who speak Spanish, there's an interesting article about the new bridge in the Bay of Cádiz, which is 25% built now. Here it is:

http://www.fomento.es/NR/rdonlyres/6...31/Ma04_12.pdf
I've read the article but I'm trying to figure out where exactly this bridge is being built at Cadiz. Is it parallel to N443 or CA33? Or is it a continuation of Calle Perú across the bay?
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #1242
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
I've always been confused about the way motorways are shown in Spain in European maps. Most of the "motorways" are indicated as dual carriageways, though I'm aware that many of them are full motorways. The rule that Philips etc. seem to use is that autopistas are motorways but autovias are not.
Yes, Autovía's are generally not shown as motorways on most maps.

Quote:
Can someone clarify what exactly the difference is between them if any? It makes it very hard to figure out what the total length of motorway is in Spain.
Basically; Autopista = toll, Autovía = toll free. They have basically the same design, though Autovía's often have more exits and fewer services. There were/are some substandard Autovía's that still have to be reconstructed to motorway standards, but basically, an Autovía is a motorway.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1243
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Roads like the carreteras with motorway features that you mention can't be included until they are upgraded. If they don't have legal motorway restrictions, then they aren't motorways.
Yes, this is true. This is why I said "design features of motorways."

Quote:
Can someone clarify what exactly the difference is between them if any? It makes it very hard to figure out what the total length of motorway is in Spain.
It has been dealt with several times upthread, including on Page 41. Briefly, Norma 3.1-IC is your authoritative source. An autopista does not allow slow traffic and has absolutely no access from abutting properties, while an autovía can allow slow traffic (which has to be prohibited by separate signs in order for the autovía to function as a "hidden autopista") and theoretically can have (but in practice rarely, if ever, has) limited frontage access. As has also been pointed out upthread, first-generation autovías represent a special case because there was a more sharply defined difference between them and autopistas in terms of geometric design and signing when they were first built. Autovías used to have white-background signs, curves on them could be sharper than on autopistas, etc. Nowadays most geometric design features of autopistas and autovías are subsumed into a common design classification in Norma 3.1-IC.

It is true, as Chris says, that autovías are free, while autopistas can be and usually are toll roads. But there are free autopistas too. The chopsticks sign differentiates them from autovías.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1244
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
I've read the article but I'm trying to figure out where exactly this bridge is being built at Cadiz. Is it parallel to N443 or CA33? Or is it a continuation of Calle Perú across the bay?
It will be over Calle Perú.

This map may help you

Also...

About the autovías/autopistas... it's a mess. There are some toll-free autopistas, as the A-66 in Asturias or the A-6 in Madrid, because they were built as a totally new motorway, unlike the first-generation autovías. Today the new autovías have this sign:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albe®to View Post
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #1245
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
Looks like Macedonian guard rails, just that they use shitty color.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #1246
amagaldu
Registered (trade) User

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
It has been dealt with several times upthread, including on Page 41. Briefly, Norma 3.1-IC is your authoritative source. An autopista does not allow slow traffic and has absolutely no access from abutting properties, while an autovía can allow slow traffic (which has to be prohibited by separate signs in order for the autovía to function as a "hidden autopista") and theoretically can have (but in practice rarely, if ever, has) limited frontage access. As has also been pointed out upthread, first-generation autovías represent a special case because there was a more sharply defined difference between them and autopistas in terms of geometric design and signing when they were first built. Autovías used to have white-background signs, curves on them could be sharper than on autopistas, etc. Nowadays most geometric design features of autopistas and autovías are subsumed into a common design classification in Norma 3.1-IC.

It is true, as Chris says, that autovías are free, while autopistas can be and usually are toll roads. But there are free autopistas too. The chopsticks sign differentiates them from autovías.
very good explanation..

I´d add that everything called autovias would be in other european and also american countries included in the "motorways" map..

for sure asians too..
amagaldu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #1247
Seppl

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=Aokromes;35016932]AP-1 Gasteiz-Eskoriatza:

Nice pics of the AP-1. What is the exact situation between Eibar and Vitoria right now. Which parts are finished and which parts still need to be finished. Does anyone have further information?
Seppl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1248
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

There is a small gap ~7km from Eskoriatza to Arrasate unfinished, it must be open on few monts, but that part of the non Autopista road is not bad.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.

Last edited by Aokromes; April 13th, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1249
Seppl

Likes (Received): 2

That is good to hear. So I have another alternative route to drive besides the A1 and the A-15/A-10 when I'll go there this summer.
Seppl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1250
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 12

Some images of the A-3 autovía and the R-3 motorway (tolled) to Madrid next to the city of Arganda del Rey.

You can choose, A-3 (free) or R-3 (tolled) to Madrid, exit on 3km:

Poor quality of asphalt:

500m to leave the A-3:

Exit on the A-3:

This is the R-3:

Driving to Madrid on the R-3:

View over Madrid of the 4 new skyscrapers (Cuatro Torres Business Area):
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1251
LilMocr0

Likes (Received): 10

Amazing view..!!!..

Question for you.. is it really worth paying the toll? Because when I travel to and from morocco and we pass through madrid, we can choose whether to take the A4 or the R4...
LilMocr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #1252
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

How decent are AP roads ? Are they much different than A roads ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #1253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

AP-roads generally have a better alignment, less sharp curves etc, because they were mostly build on new alignments, while the A-roads often (especially the older ones) are basically reconstructed N-roads.
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1254
nightscraper
every night

Likes (Received): 19

A bit better (a bit less winding and very well signposted)
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1255
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Just as I thought

Motorway and expressway
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1256
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think you can compare an Autovía to the new 2x2 Droga Ekspresowas they are building in Poland
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #1257
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMocr0 View Post
Amazing view..!!!..

Question for you.. is it really worth paying the toll? Because when I travel to and from morocco and we pass through madrid, we can choose whether to take the A4 or the R4...

The quality of the asphalt on the "Radiales" (also on the R-3) is much better in general then on the normal Autovías.

- When it's very bussy leaving or entering Madrid it is better and in most cases faster to take the R-3, because they're not jammed with the traffic enetering or leaving Madrid.
- when you need to go to other cities in the neighbourhood which are not connected by autovías. For example: from the A-3 (like the town of Mejorada del Campo or Velilla de San Antonio and even a city like torrejon de Ardoz or the village Loeches) In this case it would be a good choice to take the R-3.

(Just check it on google maps or google earth and write: Aranjuez, you will see the A-4 on the western side of the town and very soon the beginning of the R-4)

It depends on which day and which time you pass Madrid.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM   #1258
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 28

One thing i must say is that what's the ******* point of giving spain these motorways when one hardly no one drives on them only near big cities and two there drivers lunatics who deserved to get shot! Other then that Spain has good roads a bit to many for it's size though/
timmy- brissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #1259
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Those are some reflective skyscrapers alright .

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM   #1260
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy- brissy View Post
One thing i must say is that what's the ******* point of giving spain these motorways when one hardly no one drives on them only near big cities and two there drivers lunatics who deserved to get shot! Other then that Spain has good roads a bit to many for it's size though/
because they WANT TO BUILD THEM...

in GB (and Netherland, etc.) the problem is not the (lack of) money, but the greenysm and nimbysm and trainism...

Last edited by H123Laci; April 21st, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida