daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1441
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

There is no free alternative to the tolled AP-7 on many parts. Cross the border using the French A-9 and Spanish AP-7 at the Perthus pass. Don't use the national road of the Perthus, even if your GPS (if you have one) says that there are queues on the A9/AP7. A month ago I have done Perthus' old road and it was totally jammed, 3 hours for 20 km or so. The road along the coast is beatiful but very slow and narrow with hundreds of curves.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1442
SS Enforcer

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the replies so far and yes it is a big detour as for crossing the border we intend in staying in Andorra overnight then maybe driving straight through to Granada which is why I am asking about the route. It's the A2 verses the A7 ( gotta love google maps ).

See my wife wants to go over to Morocco for a day or two and as she has spent a few months in Spain many years ago it won't matter if we drive past the big cities .. so she says.

The pics posted in this thread are excellent and i'm even more looking forward to driving on European roads again as a result.

Thanks again
SS Enforcer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1443
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

what is the situation at A4 at Despeñaperros area? is new section built or still u/c? i see at Google Earth it is allready drawn in.
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:52 PM   #1444
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

It is under construction. Some viaducts were still not completed this August (there were only pylons).

http://maps.google.ch/maps?f=q&sourc...19248&t=h&z=16

The northbound lane in this map is the white road with a lot of curves, the soutbond the one in orange on the left.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:38 AM   #1445
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Enforcer View Post
Thanks for the replies so far and yes it is a big detour as for crossing the border we intend in staying in Andorra overnight then maybe driving straight through to Granada which is why I am asking about the route. It's the A2 verses the A7 ( gotta love google maps ).

See my wife wants to go over to Morocco for a day or two and as she has spent a few months in Spain many years ago it won't matter if we drive past the big cities .. so she says.

The pics posted in this thread are excellent and i'm even more looking forward to driving on European roads again as a result.

Thanks again
Well, I've driven that stretch of road many times and I think I know were you can and can't avoid the tolls. As many people here say, there is no good alternative to the AP-7 going down towards southern Spain from Catalonia. Taking the detour over Madrid on the A-2 will only cost you a lot of petrol. The tolls don't make such a detour rational.

My advice when going down is taking the AP-7 from Barcelona to Valencia. On the Valencia bypass, follow the signs toward Albacete and Alicante (por interior) on the A-7. This will save you some 12-13 euros of toll. Then continue on the A-35 until you reach the signs for Alicante, don't go over Alcoy/Alcoi! You'll miss the A-31 which has a nice descent towards Alicante and is personally my favorite road in Spain to drive. When approaching Alicante on the A-31 you'll see signs indicating Murcia on the A-7. Follow those (40-50 kms) until you see signs towards Granada.

If you're heading towards Paris on your way back then going over Madrid is indeed the best option. Go to Granada and then take the A-44 towards Jaén and Madrid. At Bailén the road merges with the A-4. If you don't want to visit the centre of Madrid, then just take the M-50 bypass and then continue along the A-1 north. There is no alternative to the tolled AP-1 between Burgos and Miranda de Ebro. Between Vitoria-Gasteiz and Donostia/San Sebastian you can take either the AP-1 or the A-1/N-I (still signed N-I in the Basque Country). The AP-1 is more expensive since it's tolled, but faster and with a lot of impressive architecture. The A-1 is a tad bit longer, but untolled and with some impressive climbs. Once you've reached San Sebastian just take the A-8 towards Irun and France.

If I may, when you've passed Bordeaux on your way to Paris, take the N10 in the direction of Angouleme until Poitiers. It's an expressway which is 30 kms shorter than the A10 past Niort, and untolled. There are two stretches of single carriageway before arriving at Angouleme, and a few sections of at-grade crossings between Angouleme and Poitiers, but saving 30 kms and 19.10 euros in toll makes it worth while.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1446
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
If you're heading towards Paris on your way back then going over Madrid is indeed the best option. Go to Granada and then take the A-44 towards Jaén and Madrid. At Bailén the road merges with the A-4. If you don't want to visit the centre of Madrid, then just take the M-50 bypass and then continue along the A-1 north. There is no alternative to the tolled AP-1 between Burgos and Miranda de Ebro. Between Vitoria-Gasteiz and Donostia/San Sebastian you can take either the AP-1 or the A-1/N-I (still signed N-I in the Basque Country). The AP-1 is more expensive since it's tolled, but faster and with a lot of impressive architecture. The A-1 is a tad bit longer, but untolled and with some impressive climbs. Once you've reached San Sebastian just take the A-8 towards Irun and France.
Another free alternative is from Vitoria to Irurtzun A-1 (this part is named A-1, not all the A-1 is called N-I on Basque country, only the Guipuzkoa part) then A-10 and on Irurtzun go to the North by A-15, it's a high quality road and low trafic on it, it's a big longer, but free and no trafic issues.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1447
SS Enforcer

Likes (Received): 0

And again thanks it looks like the AP-7 and using the A-31 . In Australia if your going on a long trip there are very few choices regarding what road to use, in Spain and the rest of Europe there is so many alternatives so I can see I will have to make sure I have it sorted before I leave.

What is the general standard of drivers in Spain are they as good as the Germans? From my experiences I judge them the best highway drivers that I have ever seen, better than the Yanks and as much as I hate to say it us Aussies.

cheers
SS Enforcer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:26 AM   #1448
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
what is the situation at A4 at Despeñaperros area? is new section built or still u/c? i see at Google Earth it is allready drawn in.
It's still U/C as Coccodrillo said. Here you have some pictures taken in August:

http://www.urbanity.es/foro/infraest...tml#post282879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthelion View Post
:ok: Muy buen y detallado reportaje, PacoPaco.

Algunas fotos más de este sábado desde la otra calzada dirección a Madrid.

Primero el pequeño viaducto de Santa Elena con el tablero recién terminado y demontando el puente grúa para pasarlo al siguiente puente de El Manantial:

El impresionante viaducto de El Manantial listo para empezar a construir el tablero:

El Viaducto de Las Tinajuelas es el que de momento va más atrasado:

(Esta es de principios de agosto en dirección Bailén)

Y finalmente el viaducto de Despeñaperros acabado

Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1449
Cicerón
Espere verde

Málaga bypass:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewtom View Post
Hace una semana tomé estas fotos de la parte Norte del Aeropuerto...

desde un poco más alante.

Y esta última como es de mala calidad, os la marco para que se vea mejor...

Some roads near Córdoba:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARABAZA View Post
Todo un clásico de este hilo...

Muy buenas las fotos de las nuevas incorporaciones!!!! Por cierto vaya lío de carteles pintados y repintados (o más bien con pegatinas pegadas y repegadas en la A-3...

Más fotos del sur

Circunvalando Córdoba

Tomando dirección Sevilla, A-4

Puente sobre el Guadalquivir

geometarkv liked this post
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1450
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Lots of greenhouses along A-7, even bigger than the Dutch "Westland" near The Hague.
[IMG]http://i35.************/295soc3.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1451
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice timelapse of A-44 Granada - Jaén in southern Spain:

Old October 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #1452
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Why does the color of the lines change so often? Recently surfaced stretches get white lines and the old sections still have yellow lines or sth?
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1453
Cicerón
Espere verde

Yellow lines mean works on the road. Also, I see some sings of the Ministerio de Fomento (ex. 2:21) announcing road works. I suppose that they are repaving the vast majority of the autovía.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #1454
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We need more activity in the Spanish thread.

Has all construction died out by now? No, it hasn't, but it looks like things slowed down significantly from the construction craze in the early 2000's.

A-15 Soria - Medinaceli:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetower Soria View Post

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1455
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some pics from the Barcelona area:

Quote:
Saliendo de Barcelona

Proximidades de Tarragona

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #1456
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sevilla area:

Quote:
Seguimos hacia Sevilla

Ciudad de Écija

Volvemos a la A-4

Entrando en Sevilla

Ya en Hispalis, enfilamos la mítica Avenida de Kansas City

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1457
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

Likes (Received): 3925

But hopefully you will continue on the next page

To me, Spain's motorway network is the best in Europe. We should follow the example of Spain in Bulgaria...
Viva_Bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1458
Cicerón
Espere verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Cordoba area:

Now I'll stop quoting before people get mad because of the loading time of this page
Already posted, see post #1230
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1459
ChrisZwolle
Road user

bump
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #1460
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice video of the mountainous A-44 in southern Spain:

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida